Stage 2

Options

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Question - I can tell from the book that the static lunge has your back foot up on the toes, whereas the split squat has the top of your foot on the bench, but other than that they look like exactly the same move? Am I missing something here?

That is the only difference between the two! But I feel the quads working so much more on the Bulgarian split squat than the Static lunge with rear foot up. Also, the platform you put the instep of your foot on the split squat is higher. I guess you can go higher on the static lunge too, but I noticed for me in order to have my foot on toes on the static lunge , I have to use a lower platform than what I use for split squat.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love this forum group because everything I was thinking while starting stage 2 last night is something else has said... good to know I'm not alone!

Static Lunges are killer, I agree. I think I love them already :)

I hated the Squat/Press. It felt awkward, and I felt off balance, which I know should get better in time... but I felt so weak only squating 65pd after stage one when I hit a max of 175. No way I'd be able to press that though, 65 was rough for me.

I'm excited for the B workout.. I've heard more than one person say they liked it better??
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i'm heading to the gym tonight to do workout A for the 2nd time....i have had to drop to 2 times a week for the weight training due to 3 days of running for my 1/2 marathon and 1 night of spin...i just can't squeeze the "extra" 3rd day of lifting into my schedule - i used to do it the night i have spin but stage 2 workouts, especially B take a bit longer and i dont have the time and dont want to split the workout before and then after spin class.....

anyway, i'm looking forward to lifting tonight and plan on asking one of the muscle guys at the Y to confirm i'm doing the squat press right...it just feels very awkward so i want to get it right for the most affect on my body...

have a good day lifters...
    denise
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I am starting stage 2 on Monday! I am SUPER excited about it! I'm excited to go on to different lifts. It will probably be a good idea for me to bring my book to the gym too just to make sure I am doing the correct lift!

Oh and an older post confused me about the order of the lifts....i just want to make sure I am doing this right. I'll use Exercise 2A as an example.

The exercises in 2A are
    A- front squat/push press

B1-Step-up
    B2- Dumbbell one point row

C1-Static Lunch
    C2- Push up

D1- Plank
    D2-Wood chop

My question is this. Do you do the 2 sets of 10 of the squats/push press then move on the Step-up and Dumbbell row as a super set (alternating set) and do both of those sets then move to C1 and C2 etc. OR do you do one set of squats then go through B, C, and D as alternating sets one time through and then start back at the top to complete the 2 sets of each? Sorry if that is confusing.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Your first example is how it should be done.... 1st set of front squat/push press, rest, 2nd set of front squat/push press. Then B1/B2, B1/B2, then C1/C2, C1/C2, etc.

Edit to add: obviously, resting in between each set.
  • kkauz42
    Options
    Your first example is how it should be done.... 1st set of front squat/push press, rest, 2nd set of front squat/push press. Then B1/B2, B1/B2, then C1/C2, C1/C2, etc.

Edit to add: obviously, resting in between each set.

Thank you so much! I thought I was doing it right and then I started to second guess myself!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I started Stage 2 yesterday and let's just say it was pretty intense. It felt a lot more difficult to me than Stage 1. I think that perhaps it was because I took a 2 week break (1 week was the recommended break, the 2nd week was because I had a bad cold) and ate very badly during the holidays.

Those static lunges with the rear foot elevated are KILLER. The second Plank also really tired me out. However, I'm pretty pleased with how wiped out I felt afterwards. It's nice to get back in the gym! :smile:
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I started Stage 2 yesterday and let's just say it was pretty intense. It felt a lot more difficult to me than Stage 1. I think that perhaps it was because I took a 2 week break (1 week was the recommended break, the 2nd week was because I had a bad cold) and ate very badly during the holidays.

Those static lunges with the rear foot elevated are KILLER. The second Plank also really tired me out. However, I'm pretty pleased with how wiped out I felt afterwards. It's nice to get back in the gym! :smile:
    I DIDN'T take a break between stage 1 and 2 and it felt killer to me too. I have pretty good abs so I was mostly okay with the planks, but the lunges were definitely making my legs wobbly by the end. I'm looking forward to seeing how the B workout is tomorrow!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,972 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will take a break between Stage 1 and Stage 2, either. I have a "forced" break Feb 29 - Mar 10 (for a vacation in Hawaii, YAY!), so I want to be well into Stage 3 by then....and depending on what "equipment" the gym at our resort has, I might just drop back and do Stage 1 stuff while I'm away.

I think I will incorporate the breaks after Stage 3, 4, and 5, though - because I'll have a better idea of my "progress" by that time.
  • kkauz42
    Options
    Hey ladies, I have a question! Are any of you eating at your maintenance level? I am eating at the 300 calorie deficit but I have been hungry toward the afternoon and even after dinner. I think I am going to have to up my intake to maintenance level.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I still want to lose some fat weight, so I did the calculation in the book based on a 145lb body weight (I'm 5'9" and at about ~165lbs). I eat about 2000 calories every day and about 2300 on workout days (usually a banana and a protein drink will help me hit the difference). On some days, I'm below my calorie count and sometimes I'm a little above.
  • agthorn
    Options
    I guess this is technically a stage 2 question, though I was reminded about it when I was skimming the stage 1 thread.

Shoes - I know flat soled is better for lifting. But has anyone done the intervals in flat-soled shoes? Is it okay? (I do them on an elliptical) I don't want to have to bring two pairs of sneakers to the gym and change midway through. I've currently just been wearing my older running shoes, since I figure the padding is probably pretty compressed after two years.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I tell you this, I'll be GLAD when I'm done with the 12- and 10- rep situation of Stage 1. TOO MANY REPS!! lol

ROCK ON LADIES!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I guess this is technically a stage 2 question, though I was reminded about it when I was skimming the stage 1 thread.

Shoes - I know flat soled is better for lifting. But has anyone done the intervals in flat-soled shoes? Is it okay? (I do them on an elliptical) I don't want to have to bring two pairs of sneakers to the gym and change midway through. I've currently just been wearing my older running shoes, since I figure the padding is probably pretty compressed after two years.

I did the intervals in Converse once and never again! My shins were hurting the whole time and that doesn't happen with running shoes. You can just take your shoes off on the big lifts and do them in your socks. I do that when I start loosing my balance on one point rows or go for big # on the deads. Also, a lot better with my squats that way. Now I do cardio on the non lifting days and just wear my flat shoes for lifting.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm going to be walking around the gym with an entire BASKET full of stuff....different shoes, clipboard, timer, inhaler, gym pass, layers of clothing, blah, blah, blah.

I'll be the "crazy bag lady" of the YMCA....so be it!

(Now, I still have to go get my converse, but I'm going to...I really think my form is suffering with cross-trainers...)
  • kkauz42
    Options
    I still want to lose some fat weight, so I did the calculation in the book based on a 145lb body weight (I'm 5'9" and at about ~165lbs). I eat about 2000 calories every day and about 2300 on workout days (usually a banana and a protein drink will help me hit the difference). On some days, I'm below my calorie count and sometimes I'm a little above.

I have used the calculations from the book too but I am just SO hungry! I think I'm going to try the maintenance for a month and see how I do/feel.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm ready to fire up on Stage 2 Thursday night. I didn't do the special workouts at the end of stage 1, due to nursing a slight strain in my lower back.

Were these essential workouts, do you think, or just "look how far you've come" lessons?
  • agthorn
    Options
    I'm ready to fire up on Stage 2 Thursday night. I didn't do the special workouts at the end of stage 1, due to nursing a slight strain in my lower back.

Were these essential workouts, do you think, or just "look how far you've come" lessons?
    I think it's just "look how far you've come" - I didn't do them either.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I agree. If you plan on doing the whole program, regardless, then I don't think you need the "special" work-outs at the end of Stage 1....because the proof will be in the pudding at the end of Stage 7 that you've gained "strength".

I won't be doing the special work-outs at the end of Stage 1 and I won't be taking a break between Stages 1 and 2.
  • kkauz42
    Options
    I Just did workout A on stage 2, I like it!! I think I like the static lunges better than the other ones, my balance is better haha! I however am NOT very good at the 1 point row! Tomorrow will just be some light cardio (elliptical or something) then I'm sure I'll be killed in stage 2.