Stage 2

Options

Replies

• aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I Just did workout A on stage 2, I like it!! I think I like the static lunges better than the other ones, my balance is better haha! I however am NOT very good at the 1 point row! Tomorrow will just be some light cardio (elliptical or something) then I'm sure I'll be killed in stage 2.

I hear you. I keep wobbling on the one point row. I also had a tough time with the static lunges the first time I did it... mostly I think because I tried to get both my feet back to the starting position. Smart gal that I am, I didn't notice the word STATIC in front of the word LUNGES. :blushing:

On another note, I did workout A for the second time and did front squat push presses for the first time (I did regular squats the first time because I was unsure of how to do the front squat push presses). I only used the bar and oh my goodness... the squat part wasn't bad, but my arms were shaking by the end of each set. I could barely get the bar up on my last rep of my second set. And here I was thinking I would be able to add some plates to the front squat push presses! :laugh:
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I Just did workout A on stage 2, I like it!! I think I like the static lunges better than the other ones, my balance is better haha! I however am NOT very good at the 1 point row! Tomorrow will just be some light cardio (elliptical or something) then I'm sure I'll be killed in stage 2.

I hear you. I keep wobbling on the one point row. I also had a tough time with the static lunges the first time I did it... mostly I think because I tried to get both my feet back to the starting position. Smart gal that I am, I didn't notice the word STATIC in front of the word LUNGES. :blushing:

On another note, I did workout A for the second time and did front squat push presses for the first time (I did regular squats the first time because I was unsure of how to do the front squat push presses). I only used the bar and oh my goodness... the squat part wasn't bad, but my arms were shaking by the end of each set. I could barely get the bar up on my last rep of my second set. And here I was thinking I would be able to add some plates to the front squat push presses! :laugh:

OH man I feel you on the push press!! Luckily my gym has straight barbells that range from 20lbs to like 100 I think in 10lbs increments so I used the 50 lb bar. My arms were done for toward the end of each set. Oh, and I couldn't make the damn 60 second plank! I used to be able to do them all the time! I got to 40, so frustrating but I'll get it!
  • aregensb
    Options
    What kind of proteins do you all eat? I get most of my protein from my regular diet (eggs, lean meats like chicken and pork, beef, beans and lentils, lowfat cottage cheese, nuts). I also use protein supplements, but tend to use them only on my workout days (about 2 servings - one with breakfast and one after my workout). The problem I'm having is that with trying to get most protein from regular food instead of supplements, I am also getting a lot a fat. I'd like to limit my fat intake to about 60g on nonworkout days and 70g on workout days. I tend to hit about 60g of fat with just breakfast, lunch, and 2 snacks. Does anyone have a problem with their fat intake? I wouldn't worry so much if I were trying to maintain, but I am still trying to lose some fat weight.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly the opposite, aregen....I have trouble getting in all my carbs!

Most of my protein is from the 100% whey protein powder I am adding to my morning oat bran - and a protein shake in the afternoon. Plus 2 (or 3!) protein bars a day. I'm only getting "natural" protein from a chicken breast at lunch, and then a portion of meat at supper. So, my fat intake is lower.

I don't think I've hit 40% carbs even one time. (At least not when I'm "clean eating" and not having any BAD carbs, lol.)

How is your weight (on the scale) holding up, aregen?? If you read here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/431684-pics-of-my-ginormous-man-muscles

she lost weight on the NROL4W program.

And, she looks GREAT....although reading near the end of the post she is now pregnant!! Gosh, I'd find it mentally TAXING to do all that work, and look soooo awesome, only to head back into weight gain. She's brave!
  • kkauz42
    Options
    I'm thinking as the stages go on I'll start shedding fat. I am at maintenance right now and I'm feeling better than when I had a 300 calorie defect. When I lift I am just plain HUNGRY!

Sometimes I have a tough time getting my protein in but if I have 2 protein shakes it's usually better. I eat meats, nuts, and eggs, and greek yogurt for my protein. I think I'll just have to have 2 shakes for my protein daily.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Stage 2 starts for me in 2 weeks ( rest week 1st) so excited and a bit worried but will plow on!
    I've gotten a real taste for lifting so think after i am done with this ( July 2012) i might find a powerlifing club to give me some focus.
    Has anyone else thought what to do once this is done?

On a side note i have found doing stage 1 plus on the 2 days inbetween my lifts and after work i do 12mins HIIT i am SHATTERED.. so i think the intervals might just get done as normal on my cardio days. Has anyone done this instead?

i want my own oly bar at home *pout*:grumble:
  • kkauz42
    Options
    Stage 2 starts for me in 2 weeks ( rest week 1st) so excited and a bit worried but will plow on!
    I've gotten a real taste for lifting so think after i am done with this ( July 2012) i might find a powerlifing club to give me some focus.
    Has anyone else thought what to do once this is done?

On a side note i have found doing stage 1 plus on the 2 days inbetween my lifts and after work i do 12mins HIIT i am SHATTERED.. so i think the intervals might just get done as normal on my cardio days. Has anyone done this instead?

i want my own oly bar at home *pout*:grumble:

I didn't do any of the HIIT workouts the way the book structures them on my off days or after workouts in the first stage, BUT today I was pretty tired when I was done. I did my HIIT on the elliptical but I think I'm going to run next time!

I finished workout 1B for stage 2 today. So far, so good! I really like this stage so far! LOTS of leg stuff today and abs, but I love it!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Maddame, I think if you are doing HIIT - and ending up SHATTERED - then you are doing HIIT right! So, good for you.

i have been trying to finish my lifting days with 10-12 minutes of HIIT. But, this is all Stage 1. Once Stage 2 hits, with the longer time spent on lifting, I don't think I'll have time to do HIIT. It can be done the days in-between lifting, for sure.

kkauz - running might feel good, but it's counter-productive to what you are trying to achieve (I think). Steady-state cardio helps your body process fuel for endurance purposes....HIIT USES your fuel and burns more fat. I think if you REALLY want to see the fat loss that CAN be associated with this program, it's likely best to dump your steady-state cardio (much beloved, I'm sure....mine sure is!) and just trust in the HIIT.
  • kkauz42
    Options
    Maddame, I think if you are doing HIIT - and ending up SHATTERED - then you are doing HIIT right! So, good for you.

i have been trying to finish my lifting days with 10-12 minutes of HIIT. But, this is all Stage 1. Once Stage 2 hits, with the longer time spent on lifting, I don't think I'll have time to do HIIT. It can be done the days in-between lifting, for sure.

kkauz - running might feel good, but it's counter-productive to what you are trying to achieve (I think). Steady-state cardio helps your body process fuel for endurance purposes....HIIT USES your fuel and burns more fat. I think if you REALLY want to see the fat loss that CAN be associated with this program, it's likely best to dump your steady-state cardio (much beloved, I'm sure....mine sure is!) and just trust in the HIIT.

I totally communicated my running part wrong. :laugh: I will definitely be doing HIIT but I will be switching it up from treadmill, elliptical, bike etc. Not just running after lifting, definitely doing the HIIT!

Also, do any of you ladies do cardio on your off days?? I usually do 20-30 minutes of elliptical but nothing super intense. I have heard and the book preaches less is more! Except on Thursdays I DO have basketball and volleyball sooo no cardio isn't much of an option lol.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i am not liking workout a in stage 2...i hate the front squat/overhead push press...i used 40 the first 2 times and then moved to 50 last night...the squat and the push up are both very awkward movements for me.....i dont feel like i'm getting out of it what i need to...i also am very wobbly with the one point dumbbell rows and am not sure if i'm doing the woodchop correctly....where should i feel that while i'm doing it and after????i'm pressing on and i will do every workout i'm just not enjoying stage 2 like i did stage 1...i like moving my weight up and doing different increments of sets in stage 1....doing 10 x 2 in stage 2 is not a whole lot of variety...BUT i'm doing it lol....

denise
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Can you take some time to watch some videos on youtube, bluiz?? I think if you punch in the search terms you are looking for, there are LOTS of "instructional" videos out there that will: 1) advise you on proper form; 2) advise you on WHICH muscles should be doing the work (and therefore WHERE you should be feeling it); and 3) advise you on *alternatives* (like if you're wobbly on something - is there another way to work that muscle without the balance coming in the way).

www.bodybuilding.com also has some good instructional videos.

I think it's important to remember that some of these "movements" will feel *alien* at first. That's okay - because sometimes they show you the areas that you *do* need to work on (like, maybe, balance!). I think it's also good to remember that you don't have to be "perfect" right from the get-go. It is the practice which will help you get to perfect. Don't be afraid to lower your weight to get the motion down. And then ramp up the weight once your balance is spot-on, once the motion becomes less *alien*.

Good for you, denise, for keeping going....you have 100% the RIGHT attitude!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    i am not liking workout a in stage 2...i hate the front squat/overhead push press...i used 40 the first 2 times and then moved to 50 last night...the squat and the push up are both very awkward movements for me.....i dont feel like i'm getting out of it what i need to...i also am very wobbly with the one point dumbbell rows and am not sure if i'm doing the woodchop correctly....where should i feel that while i'm doing it and after????i'm pressing on and i will do every workout i'm just not enjoying stage 2 like i did stage 1...i like moving my weight up and doing different increments of sets in stage 1....doing 10 x 2 in stage 2 is not a whole lot of variety...BUT i'm doing it lol....

denise

The front squat/push press was the worst for me. I couldn't get the bar just in my fingers, so the upper arms are parallel to the floor. I do it better with dumbells, ,maybe because I just hold them the whole time. Anyways, good luck with that one! I , too, enjoys stage 1 the best so far and I'n on stage 5 right now.
    For the one point row-take your shoes off and do it with your socks or bare feet. The balance is much better this way! I go to a gym, so for me was down to socks. Also, try to engage the glute on the same side as your foot that is on the ground. That helped me with balance a lot.
    The wood chop is a stability exercise. It's meant to stabilize your lower spine. It works the lower back, abs, obliques, hips but it also will work the arms and back. I feel the wood chop the most in my abs and obliques.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PerformanceU?blend=2&ob=video-mustangbase#p/search/0/DIK3IHct0fY

This is a video from Nick Tumminello talking about the rotational exercises.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The morning after 2-A-1. Nice! I'm just a little sore everywhere...I love how the program is balanced so that I'm not crippled afterwards.

The only thing I don't like is the front squat/push press. I don't think I got it quite right, even working just with the oly bar. I hope it won't hurt to practice a set or two between workouts (oly bar only) to try to get it down. I absolutely cannot get my arms perpendicular to my body, with the bar still on my fingers. May just be that I'm tall with long arms...I hope there is a certain amount of play to what is considered proper form on this.

Can't wait to do 2-B-1. I've been missing my cardio, and I'm excited about the interval training.

I did work on the math of the calorie surplus, so I'm finally comfortable with the increase. I've anticipated how much I will gain, and decided when and how much I have to cut back to trim down before summer.
  • aregensb
    Options
    Does anyone else notice that workout B takes a looong time to do, even without the HIIT? It takes me a long time (compared to WO A and B from Stage 1 and WO A from Stage 2) to finish. I'm thinking of doing HIIT on WO A days or something instead because WO B takes me so long to complete.

Regarding front squat push presses, does anyone else have difficulty keeping their arms parallel to the ground? I feel like my arms just don't bend far enough. In order for my arms to be parallel, my hands end up past my neck. Obviously I can't hold the bar on my neck. Also, should the barbell be resting on my shoulders at any point?

Another thing - those Dumbbell Prone Cuban Snatches? Way harder than they look. I started out with 12# dumbbells, thinking, "This doesn't look so hard!" and had to then reduce it all the way to 5#.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i started with 5lbs lol and have moved up to 8lbs on the 2nd round....yeah it's an awkward move too....
    denise
    Another thing - those Dumbbell Prone Cuban Snatches? Way harder than they look. I started out with 12# dumbbells, thinking, "This doesn't look so hard!" and had to then reduce it all the way to 5#.
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Regarding front squat push presses, does anyone else have difficulty keeping their arms parallel to the ground? I feel like my arms just don't bend far enough. In order for my arms to be parallel, my hands end up past my neck. Obviously I can't hold the bar on my neck. Also, should the barbell be resting on my shoulders at any point?

This is exactly what I was saying! I can get the bar to rest on the front of my shoulders, but my arms aren't where they should be.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else notice that workout B takes a looong time to do, even without the HIIT? It takes me a long time (compared to WO A and B from Stage 1 and WO A from Stage 2) to finish. I'm thinking of doing HIIT on WO A days or something instead because WO B takes me so long to complete.

I think WO B is so much longer because of the 4 different ab exercises at the end (and rests between each of them). I moved the 'official' HIIT session to after the A workout, and only do it after the B workout if I have extra time.

I don't seem to have any trouble with the front squat. I'm not sure I could describe what I'm doing, but it never felt weird or awkward to me.

I knew ahead of time to start low (5#) on the Cubans!!
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Ok, so some progress with the front squat/ push-press today. I have to roll the bar back until it's on my collar bone to get my hands right. Still not sure this is textbook for the move, but I'm feeling it, so maybe it will work.

I did find out what Lou meant about knowing if you're letting your torso/hips/knees go too far forward...got exciting there for a second when I just about did a face-plant! Ok!! Got it now! Won't do that again. I'm just glad hubs wasn't there to laugh at me.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I just started Stage 2 yesterday. I'd gotten pretty good at the stage 1 workouts, but this is a killer! I found myself thinking "Screw this, I'd rather be fat than do another one-point dumbbell row!" The moment passed, but still. I'm so glad there are only four of each in this stage and no "special" workouts at the end because I don't know how I'd get through Stage 2 if I had to do each workout 8 or 9 times...

The squat presses are weird and I'm sure my form is off (I can't hold my arms parallel to the ground either and the extra weight is throwing my actual squats off) and the one-point row is just weird... I always feel off balance and I can't get my leg high enough that my body forms a T like the book says.

I know there's no progress without struggle, but dang.
  • jarrettd
    Options
    I just started Stage 2 yesterday. I'd gotten pretty good at the stage 1 workouts, but this is a killer! I found myself thinking "Screw this, I'd rather be fat than do another one-point dumbbell row!" The moment passed, but still. I'm so glad there are only four of each in this stage and no "special" workouts at the end because I don't know how I'd get through Stage 2 if I had to do each workout 8 or 9 times...

The squat presses are weird and I'm sure my form is off (I can't hold my arms parallel to the ground either and the extra weight is throwing my actual squats off) and the one-point row is just weird... I always feel off balance and I can't get my leg high enough that my body forms a T like the book says.

I know there's no progress without struggle, but dang.

Hehe...wait until you get a load of the B workout for stage 2! It isn't as awkward, but it is brutal. I was thinking exactly the same thing about only having to do it four times (I'll be halfway there when I get done with 2B2 tomorrow)....until stage 4, that is!