Bridge to 10K Challenge - Starts December

Options
This challenge is for people who have just finished, or are about to finish C25K, and wish to better either their run times, distances or both by undertaking the extension to the program. It's also for those who have already started B210K and wish to have additional companions along their (virtual) way! The idea, as with all MFP challenges, is to give encouragement, tips, support etc to your fellow runners, so any 'hero' posturing will be seriously frowned upon! No upper time limits - as recommended, the challenge is simply to get through the program in your own time, in readiness ultimately for a formal 10K event.

The weekly targets in full are as published by Amber at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/391548-bridge-to-10k-program, but any given week's requirements will also be published here on Saturday of each week. You can skip to my post on the 28th Nov (below) for the first weeks schedule, due to start on or around this weekend (December 4th/5th 2011).

Lastly, please befriend each other if you have a mind!

Russell

Replies

• vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I'm due to finish C25K first week in Dec (can't remember when) so might be a week behind, but that won't bother me. That's helped me decide to go straight on now :-)
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ace, that will totally fit in with finishing C25K. :)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be in on this please, also due to finish c25k fairly soon, all things being good!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will do any harm that I've already started B210K, because I have a feeling I'm going to have to redo some weeks of the program. It's definitely more challenging for me than C25K (and I certainly did not find that easy!). I didn't have to repeat any C25K weeks, but I just feel like I have a long way to go before I get my time down to a more reasonable number. I'd like to average 10 minute miles at the very least (eventually shooting for less than that), but I'm still averaging about an 11.0-11.5 minute mile, and obviously that doesn't get you a 5K in 30 minutes.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Lastly, please befriend each other!

Russell
    I love that you used the word "befriend" here. :) People seem to forget that we already have a verb for "adding someone as a friend" and speaking as a former English teacher, it's fun to see it used correctly. :) Sorry... I promise I am not obsessive about grammar or spelling or whatever. Just couldn't resist this time. :)
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    joined..... let the count down begin :-)
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'd like to join please! I have graduated C25K and done a 5k parkrun (34 mins). I want to spend a couple of weeks trying to get that time down a bit, so doing the Bridge to 10k in December sounds good. I only have time (what with dark evenings etc) to do two runs a week, so my training may lag behind some of you!
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm in!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Can I join the challenge even if I start a little early??
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    and I would love to be "befriended" by any looking to give and recieve support through the program!:happy:
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just joined. I finished c25k a few weeks ago and ran my first 5k this weekend. I am going to start b210k next week! Looking forward to it!
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Count me in! We fininshed C25k about 5 weeks ago and are ready to advance!
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    We ( my 13yo daughter and I ) won't finish C25K until next week but we are already running over 30mins.
    My personal best today was 38mins.
    YAY!

Not too sure how long we will be able to continue running outside though ( we have already been running in 30 and 40 degree weather ).
    Once we get down in the teens and wind chills in the negative numbers...well...my SISSY will come out...lol.
    We will be stuck inside doing TaeBo and Cardio Hip Hop videos.

No treadmill or gym here...

Keep pushing forward
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am joining in the hopes that it doesn't take too long for me to catch up again now that I'm in recovery! :)
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Consider me in!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The start date of the challenge coincides with the start of W9D1 of c25k for me. I am wondering if I should just step up to B210K right away? As a background, since the beginning, I have been running my c25k in double. What I mean is, I leave home, complete the required training, reset my mp3 player and redo the day all the way back home. Today (W8) I warmed up for 5 min, ran 28, walked 5 minutes. Then, reset walked 5, ran 28, walked 5. So, week 9 would involve 60 minutes in total, I am thinking of sidestepping it so as to start B210K at the same time as the rest of the group. Opinions?
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Bridge to 10K Challenge - Week One
    =============================

OK Guys

Week 1 of the B210K challenge is nearly upon us. I'll be starting this Sunday (the 4th Dec) but you can of course start earlier or later depending on your own schedule. Note that it is not recommended to run on consecutive days, as it's important to let your body recover between sessions. Similarly, if you feel you wish to repeat a week rather then step up regardless of shrieks to slow down from your body, feel free to do so. It's more important that you finish the program than become plagued with injuries, and thus delay your progress overmuch, by pushing ahead faster than your body can take.

There are 3 sessions this week, and the duration of each is 53 minutes. That comprises a 5 minute warmup walk, 4 x 10 minute runs interspersed with 1 minute walks, then a 5 minute cooldown walk. These walks are important in avoiding injury, so please don't skip them. You should also make sure you stretch thoroughly both before and after each session, and are properly hydrated. If you want a good stretching app, I recommend Dood Stretch.

I've searched for MP3 files for those who don't have a B210K app or don't want to rely on just their watch, but with no luck to date. If anyone knows of somewhere they can be downloaded, please post the location here.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading your progress posts

Russ
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Please post your progress updates under the 'week x' topic. That way, irrespective of how fast or slow you're progressing, you'll be able to read posts by people at the same stage in the program that you are.
  • aimsterct
    aimsterct Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in....I've been waffling about when/if to start....but if we're all doing it together....I'm in.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm excited! :)