sexual assault and alcohol

Options
124»

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I remember being little and (not the brightest) shoved by hand into my grandma's dogs mouth. The dog bit me out of instinct and my mother simply said "this will teach you to be a little more careful next time won't it!"

Big, Huge, GINORMOUS difference. A dog is not a rational, thinking human being. It is an animal with nothing but instinct.

A man is a rational, thinking human being who, presumably, has control over his own actions.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I remember being little and (not the brightest) shoved by hand into my grandma's dogs mouth. The dog bit me out of instinct and my mother simply said "this will teach you to be a little more careful next time won't it!"

Big, Huge, GINORMOUS difference. A dog is not a rational, thinking human being. It is an animal with nothing but instinct.

A man is a rational, thinking human being who, presumably, has control over his own actions.

Is that the only part of my post you read? How about you go down and read the point of what I put.

"My story is not to imply that a male will rape by instinct (because that would be ignorant and wholly untrue), BUT I had put myself into a situation that was somewhat preventable. Yes, there is always a chance the dog would have bitten me regardless of what I did.. but my chance increased exponentially the second I placed myself in a poor situation and stopped thinking logically"
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Is that the only part of my post you read? How about you go down and read the point of what I put.

"My story is not to imply that a male will rape by instinct (because that would be ignorant and wholly untrue), BUT I had put myself into a situation that was somewhat preventable. Yes, there is always a chance the dog would have bitten me regardless of what I did.. but my chance increased exponentially the second I placed myself in a poor situation and stopped thinking logically"

I did read the rest of it. The difference is still instinct. A man's control over his actions, as a rational human being, is not affected by how I dress or how much I drink.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Outrage as Muslim cleric likens women to 'uncovered meat'By RICHARD SHEARS
    Last updated at 16:10 26 October 2006

A Muslim cleric's claim that women who do not wear the veil are like 'uncovered meat' who attract sexual predators sparked outrage around Australia yesterday.
    Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali, the nation's most senior Muslim cleric, compared immodestly-dressed women who do not wear the Islamic headdress with meat that is left uncovered in the street and is then eaten by cats.

Politicians including Prime Minister John Howard, community leaders and a large number of Muslims condemned the mufti's comments amid calls that he should be deported to Egypt, his country of origin.
    He has since been forced to apologise for his remarks.
    In a Ramadam sermon in a Sydney mosque, Sheik al-Hilali suggested that a group of Muslim men recently jailed for many years for gang rapes were not entirely to blame

There were women, he said, who 'sway suggestively' and wore make-up and immodest dress "and then you get a judge without mercy and gives you 65 years. But the problem, but the problem all began with who?" he said, referring to the women victims.
    Addressing 500 worshippers on the topic of adultery, Sheik al-Hilali added: "If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover, and the cats come and eat it..whose fault is it - the cats or the uncovered meat?
    "The uncovered meat is the problem."
    He went on: "If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab (veil), no problem would have occurred."

Women, he said, were 'weapons' used by Satan to control men.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-412697/Outrage-Muslim-cleric-likens-women-uncovered-meat.html#ixzz1hIL1Or5Y
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    The problem is that women are the ones being told to "be careful not to get raped" when instead, men should be told not to rape anyone.. and that if you see a woman alone, leave her alone. if a woman is drunk, don't take advantage of her, etc.

I really doubt this is a "one or the other" situation. You should educate BOTH sides on the matter.

I do think as modern day women, however, we should be perfectly capable of taking care of ourselves, and placing ourselves in safe situations. (i.e. knowing your limit, sticking with friends or people you trust, avoid dark sketchy alley ways in the middle of the night)

My story is not to imply that a male will rape by instinct (because that would be ignorant and wholly untrue), BUT I had put myself into a situation that was somewhat preventable. Yes, there is always a chance the dog would have bitten me regardless of what I did.. but my chance increased exponentially the second I placed myself in a poor situation and stopped thinking logically.(as logically as a 4 year old can think...) I just had to be aware that it WAS preventable.
    So while we do not need to be told "be careful not to get raped" as women, we still need to make smart choices, and take care of ourselves instead of hoping everyone else in the world was raised properly.

I had to go back and read the rest of your posts before responding to this. In you first (I think it was your first post) you said that bruises are not substantial evidence and I do agree with that. You also asked about if the guy where the one to claim rape then would it still be rape and I say "Yes" it would!

As a sexual assault victims advocate I can confidently say that less than 5% of reported rapes were false allegations (and I'm being liberal when I say 5%) And even if a woman says that she made it up for whatever reason, often she is saying that because going through the process of persecuting for rape or sexual assault is very traumatic. The first line of question is generally about the relationship with the alleged. Questions like "did you find him attractive?" "where you flirting?" "what where you wearing?" All questions which right off the bat make the victim feel like they are being blamed. Just because a woman decides that the investigation is "re-victimizing" and she wants to stop it often does not mean that the investigation ends. But one way to make it end is to say that you made it all up, got drunk and had sex blah blah blah.

Is most rape preventable? Sure...don't drink EVER in any quantity and you are much less likely to be raped. Interestingly 70%+ of rapes involved alcohol BUT in most cases it's the assailant who was drunk not the victim (yes I know that was not the initial question but it's still an interesting fact especially when one is saying that "rape is preventable")

In addition 80%+ of rapes where someone that victim knew. So, it is easy to surmise that the victims probably trusted their assailant and felt that they were being responsible because they went out with friends and had a place to crash already arranged. Like I said, stop drinking all together and don't go to bars and you are lowering the risk of rape exponentially but women should not have to live in fear that if they get trashed at a friends house they are gonna wake up to someone boning them. It is because of attitudes like yours that 90% of rapes go unreported. I actually sat in a room with a victim and her lawyer while the lawyer said "at this point, you have been transferred away from him so you wont have to deal with it again, it would probably be easier just to say you don't want to take the investigation any further." The lawyer proceeded to say that as pathetic as it is, when brought in front of a journey it's going to be hard to convince them that your esteemed co-worker could have done that and you did nothing to provoke it.

I hope that you never sit on a journey for a sexual assault case!