Need more members.

Options
aa1440
aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
I know there are more than 4 people on MFP that are in emergency services.

Replies

• Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a paramedic in a small farming community. Have been on the squad for about 6 years and a medic for 4. Sometimes it's so hard to get exercise when you've been running calls all night. Who wants to get up and run...not me...
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a paramedic in a small farming community. Have been on the squad for about 6 years and a medic for 4. Sometimes it's so hard to get exercise when you've been running calls all night. Who wants to get up and run...not me...

Welcome to the group! I hear you. I'm just off nights. It's 00:33 here and I am wired!
  • jigalo36
    Options
    Hello.

I'm a firefighter in Burlington Canada. I am using this site as an adjunct to my lifestyle shift outlined in a book called the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.
    Weight loss and muscle gain has been happening much faster than I expected...I didn't really have very far to go anyway, I'm mostly interested in making use of the tracking tools for excersize and diet. I have been 195 lbs-205 lbs for about 7 years now, (Was 170 lbs when I started with the Fire Department 15 years ago).
    Since starting this "Primal" thing a week ago, I've dropped down to 181 lbs. Daily excersize does not feel like a hardship. I met with a peer fitness trainer to plot out a work out designed around my shifts, (4 days on, 4 days off 4 nights on 4 off).
    Sleep is coming easier, even on nights. And I have more energy and mental clarity than ever.
    I'll update about how the whole Primal Blueprint thing unfolds as time goes by.
    If you have time, do an online search to find out more about this Primal Blueprint thing...It's been around for a few years now, I can't believe I hadn't heard about it until recently, it is the single most sensible book about health and fitness that I have ever read and so easy too.

Best regards.

Jason.
  • clari_netter
    clari_netter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello all, Doctor here - does that count? I definitely do lots of horrible and irregular hours!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Does being a Nurse Practitioner in the ER for the last 10.5 years count??

Pam
  • sarahp86
    Options

Pam

Yes it does! (bows down to you) I nearly went in to nursing and have a huge admiration for what you guys do! Probably one of the toughest jobs out there and no where near appreciated enough!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Pam

Yes it does! (bows down to you) I nearly went in to nursing and have a huge admiration for what you guys do! Probably one of the toughest jobs out there and no where near appreciated enough!

Thank you, Sarah....and welcome to the ER doc!!!!!

Pam
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Hello all, Doctor here - does that count? I definitely do lots of horrible and irregular hours!

That depends. If you're the doctor that decided to put two stitches in me without a pain killer or an anaesthetic about 11 years ago; then no, you're banned for life. :laugh:

Just joking, doctors and nurses are welcome. :smile:
  • clari_netter
    clari_netter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd hope that wasn't me as I wouldn't have been qualified :) Most of the people I stitch up tend to be comatose... gotta love ED...
  • vbuell997
    vbuell997 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a retired firefighter/paramedic. I worked for twenty-five years in South Carolina. The best part of retirement is sleeping regular hours in my own bed. I do miss the work but not the bull that came with the work. Hopefully you will allow me to join.
  • sarahp86
    Options
    I am a retired firefighter/paramedic. I worked for twenty-five years in South Carolina. The best part of retirement is sleeping regular hours in my own bed. I do miss the work but not the bull that came with the work. Hopefully you will allow me to join.

I can't retire for another 30 years and I have 5 years service. I'd give anything to have normal sleeping hours. *sigh*
  • vbuell997
    Options
    Wow you have 35 years before you can retire? I use to think 25 was a long time but now I think the 25 flew by. I still remember my first day. What service do you work in? I did 4 years in EMS and 21 in the fire service. I enjoyed the fire department more.
  • astrand1800
    astrand1800 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse in a small hospital. I work ER and Labor and Delivery. I love my ER family. (that includes the docs, NP, nurses, paramedics and the police officers that come in to visit or deal the the cream of our patient crop.)
  • sarahp86
    Options
    Wow you have 35 years before you can retire? I use to think 25 was a long time but now I think the 25 flew by. I still remember my first day. What service do you work in? I did 4 years in EMS and 21 in the fire service. I enjoyed the fire department more.

I'm a police officer and I qualified when I was 20. I can't retire til I'm 55, the age went up just before I joined! The last 5 years have flown by tho!
  • vbuell997
    Options
    Our police can retire after 25 years or 5 years and 55. My dad was an officer for Washington DC. He did 20 years and was retired for 32 years before he died. That is my goal now, to retire longer than I worked. I had an uncle that lived six months after he retired as a sheriff in Illinois. I like my dad's record. :glasses:
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've been a police officer in South Carolina for 14 years. Did 10 years military before becoming an officer.
  • vbuell997
    Options
    Did you buy your military time? We had some of our guys buy their time and they were glad they did.
  • tonitgarner
    Options
    Yes!!!!!
  • tonitgarner
    Options

Pam

Yes!!! you most definitely qualify. I've been an ER nurse for the last 4 years. I graduate grad school in May and then hopefully I will also be a Nurse Practitioner in the ER. I can't wait.
  • jennalor
    jennalor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Does being a dispatcher for a fire department count?