Stage 1

Options

Replies

• RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Sue, congrats on upping your weight!!

Bransonlee, changing it up sometimes is helpful! WTG on getting through the entire workout!

Work is busy tonight ladies. I will try to catch up soon!
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Doh! I finished 1A7 yesterday and I was sneaking peeks at Stage 2 in the book this evening. I discovered I should have upped to 3 sets around workout 5. Ugh. Shoot me now! I cant decide if I want to finish out just doing two sets of each workout and move on. Finish out doing 2 sets, then go back to workout 5, do 3 sets of each and move on. Or go back to where we dropped to 8 reps (workout 7), do 3 sets of each and move on. Thats what I get for keeping a separate notebook. I didnt refer back to the book very often once I had the routine down. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Cheated myself. :(
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Doing A5 tonight - kind of scared about increasing to 3 sets! I've been trying to up my weight every time in each exercise, but towards the end of the second set I was definitely feeling it. So now 3?!? Ahhh.

For those of you who are farther than me - did you decrease weight when you went to 3 sets?
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Bethed, I did not lower my weight. Keep at it :) the less reps means you get a break quicker :)
  • Bransonlee
    Bransonlee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great weekend! I had a hard time doing 2 days off and a real rest day today, but I am hoping it makes my lifting fierce tomorrow, lol!
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I just found this group recently, been doing the program (well the weights part anyway) for two weeks now. I love this program, I really need something to follow so I am not just lifting willy nilly at the gym :) Hoping it will make a difference and that I can keep it up.

Workout A is scheduled for tomorrow and time to try to increase the weight a little bit. I feel like a little weakling right now, but I don't want to hurt myself either.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello - I'm starting stage 1 tonight, so expect to be here a lot over the next few weeks:laugh: I've never picked up a weight or been to a gym before, so this is all very scary & new to me..... Have done 30DS with negligible difference in looks, but definite increase in strength, so hoping I will a least be able to make an attempt at all the exercises in Stage 1.

Still got loads to lose, so going to be doing this on a deficit.

I also run, and hoping to keep up with that. I run for 30min in the morning, and intending to lift M, W & F evening. Does that sound doable?
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!

Nthbut I would add the extra set for the last 2 workouts and just continue on to stage 2 when its time. maybe pay more attention the amount of sets and reps for that stage.

Beth when i did A5 I didnt lower the weight, think I actually increased on my rows and step ups BUT try to crank out your 3 sets use the minute break and push out as many as you can. then reevaluate after the session :-) good luck!

Bransonlee I had 2 days off as well and I have to tell you that my body is saying THANK YOU!! lol Think I;ll be able to really push it tonight because of the break.

Welcome Merbear & Mrs Agi!!
    I definitel think that running is doable. especially if your already running, I still do hiit 2x week

Amanda so glad to see that you stalking the board! Cant wait to hear how you B of stage 2 goes :-)
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Just did my 5th workout today, was actually able to increase my weight a bit. I can feel myself getting stronger already, was able to do all my pushups on my feet and NO knees :) They weren't the most fantastic push ups and I wasn't down to 90 degrees at my arms, but I'll take it for now!

Question. Pushups go down in reps along with all the weight work...are we supposed to add weight to them? If so how? I know this may be a stupid question....

Hope to be involved a lot in this board over the next while :)

MrsAgi - I am also doing this on a slight deficit. I have some weight to lose before I work on building muscle...but I figure if we do this while on a deficit along with our cardio we won't LOSE muscle mass which is just as important as building it later IMO.

Thank you for the warm welcome!!!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Question. Pushups go down in reps along with all the weight work...are we supposed to add weight to them? If so how? I know this may be a stupid question....

I think you are supposed to make them harder, like the t-pushup and then using dumbbells. But, you could always work on form, too. If you are knocking them out perfectly then move on to somethng else but if they are "just pushups" you could work on perfecting form...arms in, chest close to floor, etc. I think the t-pushups use your core as well as your arms so much more so you could give them a whirl.
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Merbear I agree with what Runnmom said
    There are less push ups but your supposed to make them harder. Right now I crank out a set of weighted T's then a set of regular T's If I can do the last set of T's I do, or I just do 1 regular set. hoping to get to 2 sets of weighted before Im done with stage 1.

Move up to 100lb DL yesterday. superstokes as I have 2 more of each workouts to go before I say adios to stage 1.
    Everything else remains the same. the shoulder press is my arch nemesis as I cant seem to go over 20lb dumbells..I also managed to hold a 15lb weight overhead while doing the ball crunches. still not sure I felt those. Next time I'll add a set of pikes to challenge myself
  • mercury8826
    Options
    Good Morning!

Melissa, you're a rockstar! I always see you in here, greeting anyone who has the time to stalk the forums in the morning. You always seem to have good news about your achievements in gym. Its awesome to hear that you've increased your weights so much, and that you're almost done. =D

My journey has been slow, I keep missing days, but I'm not letting it go completely. I was seeing some results in weight-loss last week, but I went to the Renaissance Faire, ate terribly and gained it all back over night. XD I mean, I know that's not technically possible, I'm sure its retained water wait from the high salt foods at the Faire, but it was mildly discouraging.. Anywhooo I'm back on track with a good cardio today, and I'll be lifting again tomorrow. c=
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I did introduce myself a little in the introduction section. I started last night stage 1A and this is my third time attempting this workout. I ended at stage 3 -- got bored. Anyway looking forward to the motivation because i need it. I am easily distracted and I need to stay focused. Wish me luck.

Monday
    Squat 55pds 15 reps
    Full pushup 15 reps
    Seated row 50 pds 15 reps
    prone jackknife 12 reps ( learned these from Supreme 90 day. Abs are my strong part just need to move the fat out the way...lol)
    step ups 10pd d/b a 2 steps 15 reps

Will be careful with the squats, lunges and deadlifts...knee issues.

I'm 5'4" and 150 and 53 years old. You all are inspiring me.
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    Hey Mercury! Dont be discouraged. just remember that a slow journey is still a journey and you will get to the finish line :-)
    Just dont stop. keep lifting!

Not sure about me being a rockstar* blushing* BUT im always so happy to share everything especially when its about getting stronger. Its addictive in its own way. Always wanting to beat yourself , your last personal best.

Dafoots your are very encouraging as well!!! Im thoroughly impressed with your starting weights.
    How was supreme 90?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hey, ladies! I wrote a blog showing my latest DEXA scan numbers (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/holleysings/view/a-study-in-numbers-413749) I've only been doing NROL4W for one month, and I've already put on 4.6lbs of muscle and lost 5lbs of fat! I'll be doing Workout 6B tomorrow. KEEP LIFTING, IT WORKS!!!!
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I just started on Saturday. I had a slight incident with the squats as it never occured to me how heavy the bar was. I had to take of weight a bunch of times. Hopefully the deadlifts go better!

Saturday
    Squat 55pds 2x7 reps this was my maximum and I think I need to stick with just the bar or dumbbells for a while so I can do the proper number of reps
    Full pushup 15 reps ok . I've just started doing normal pushups again (arm issues) but I plan to move to the more challenging ones in the middle of September.
    Seated row 50 pds 15 reps
    prone jackknife 15reps ( we do these at my boot camp so I need to make them more challenging)
    step ups 10pd d/b a 2 steps 15 reps

I was surprised at my heart rate and the amount I was sweating.
  • Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For the seated row what do people use? I use the 'seated row machine' at the gym. Is there an advantage to using a different way other than this?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    For the seated row what do people use? I use the 'seated row machine' at the gym. Is there an advantage to using a different way other than this?

Is the seated row machine one of those giant heavy machines with handles or does it have a cable? I prefer the cable weight machine that you can adjust where/what the handles are. I think since it moves more that it's more of a challenge to keep still.
  • xmommyof2boysx
    xmommyof2boysx Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the AMRAP part of Stage 1. Is this necessary? Or can I move on to Stage 2?
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey Mercury! Dont be discouraged. just remember that a slow journey is still a journey and you will get to the finish line :-)
    Just dont stop. keep lifting!

Not sure about me being a rockstar* blushing* BUT im always so happy to share everything especially when its about getting stronger. Its addictive in its own way. Always wanting to beat yourself , your last personal best.

Dafoots your are very encouraging as well!!! Im thoroughly impressed with your starting weights.
    How was supreme 90?
    Thanks. Supreme 90 day was awesome. The only program where there were visible results. Just got bored and sometimes it moves a little too fast for me and I got tired of pausing the dvd. But it works. I am looking forward to the motivation you all seem to have here. I am easily distracted and bored so bear with me.