Stage 1

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have another question actually. My gym does not have a squat rack only a smith machine. How about you ladies? Does your gyms all have squat racks and if not what do you do?

I am beginnning to think my gym is amazing. There are two squat racks in the free weights room, one is adjustable, although they could do with being better spaced out. There also seems to be another one in with the resitance machines.

My only real problem is that there are no stepsdown in the free weight area, and not a lot of spare space to do lunges or body weight exercises, so I have to walk all the way through the entire gym up two fligths of stairs to be able to do certain parts of the workout which screws with my rest periods.

I think I need another go with a trainer to name each of the items in the room.....

did my third workout A last night. I was disheartened the last time I went because I became convinced my form for deadlifts was awful and I was going to hurt myself badly. Put me right off my workout. But last night was fantastic. I surprised myself by how much weight I needed to add to the bar, and how comfortable I felt doing the workout. I still prefer it when there's only a few people around - but need to learn to smile more at the other people in there -I'm sure they won't hurt me!!!

I'm also starting to spot a few more ladies lifting proper weights. Never see them in the free weight area, but I think I might make it my mission to draw the ladies in.... I watched one girl the other day doing dumbbell shoulder-presses and honestly didn't know they did weights that tiny. A bottle of water would be heavier. grrrrrrrrrr
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    did my second A workout yesterday. The first time i did the smith machine and yesterday I did the Olympic barbell. WOW i am sore today!!!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Daisy, do you have a YMCA near by? They are fairly inexpensive, especially for students on a budget. We pay $72 a month but that is for a family of 4. I think I paid abour $22 when I was single.

Our closest Y is $pendy. It's in the middle of a very nouveau riche area, has a pool and thinks it's a NY Sports club I guess. Thankfully it's too far away for me to consider. Planet Fitness doesn't offer much for free weight lifting and they frown on most of that stuff anyway, so I'm going to cancel my measly 10/month membership and wait. There's a World Gym nearby, a few more $ monthly, but when I asked the guy about deadlifting and squat racks he said 'huh?" Yea, no we aren't going there either. I'm going to continue working out at home at least for the time being.

I need more weights. I squatted 70 and could have done much more but didn't have the weights without unloading my deadlift barbell - I should have tried those 95 pounds, pretty sure i could have done at least one set at that weight. I lowered the step up step to 12" and increased the weight - no where near those 65 pounds but at least I know the form is right on.

How high are you all stepping? What i find is if I go higher, I need to push off with my trailing leg and if I'm understanding the exercise correctly, I'm supposed to use the stepping leg only. I want to hit that form, so I will sacrifice heigth and increase weight. My pushups are getting better too, good form, and deeper than ever. Same with prone jackknifes!

Glad to see all the new folks! Congrats on getting started. I just love this program!
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies! Sue Amanda, Daisy,Girlinahat, ,holley & Kimmae

There is a major difference in the squats right Kimmae!! The barbell engages your core more cuz your forced to balance it. I love it. Speaking of I moved up to 80lb squats yesterday ladies! and thanks to Amanda I tried the T pushups and cranked out 8. I was super psyched! I just love feeling strong.

My only issue now: buying more weights. I never anticipated going over 90lbs. who knew?

Sue Im also a member of planet fitness( BOO!!) small seleciton of weights, no barbells or squat rack. In my former cardio bunny life I loved it. Now i need more. YMCA is kinda pricey in NY, I may as well go to NYSC. in the meantime I'll keep adding to my weight collection.For my step ups I use a chair. 17 inches tall. I was already doing them so I think I may have been at an advantage before starting the program.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Blah!! Who knew the Y could be so expensive!! I always thought they were a lower cost option but I didn't realize how lucky I am in the area I live in. I think they (at least ours) does do membership rates on a income basis (if you make less than a certain amount).

Sue, congrats on the upped weights!

Melissa, ROCK on with those T-pushups!!

I'm having a very blah day...I want to nap my sorrows away but can't do that with to little ones at home...my house would be in shambles!! :noway:

I hope you all have a great day. If I missed anyone I'll check back while at work & catch up!!
  • AMG629
    AMG629 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey ladies.. I'm only about 2 weeks in and already feeling stronger. I really enjoy the workouts (so far) but I am absolutely terrified of the weight I'm GAINING.. I wasn't worried about not really losing any, but the gain is really worrying me. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience when starting out. I keep telling myself it's water retention and it's not possible to gain this much fat in two weeks, but I don't take my own advice very well! lol
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I THINK i did 85 pounds for the squat. i think the barbell is 45 and i had 20 on each side. Its so confusing because the leg press machine I can do like 200! oh well! the squat is WAY harder! my gym is $86 which i think is ridiculous, but around the that's all there is NYSC is good, but the same $ amount and father away. There is a cheaper gym even farther but if doesn't have half of what i need. As much as i dont like paying that much its worth it because my gym has everything i need!
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    Amanda I hope that your day gets better!

OMG 85lb is great Kimmae!!(yes you calculated the weight right right) I just moved up to 80lb yesterday.
    my questions about adding weight and I'll use the squat as an example. Am I supposed to do one set at 80.then move up to 85 and the 3rd set do 90?
    he says to add weight everytime( if possible)

Welcome AMG!! so far Im holding steady at my current weigh. nothing gained and nothing lost. I think the book advises us to reasses after 4 weeks. If your gaining cut back on your calories if clothes are getting looser by either losing weight or inches then your on the right track..
    Im still doing at least 2 days of cardio tho. I couldnt give that up for the world, It keeps me sane.
  • suelegal
    Options
    WOW 85 is awesome. I'm squatin 65 but I know I can do more. Deadlifts are 95 (I'm gonna try 100 tomorrow).

Welcome AMG, I haven't gained overall, still holding at 160, but I had a couple of days where I was up 5. They came off again the next week. I am not following his food plan, and I'm not really eating at TDEE, tho close most days. I have my base cals set at 1500, but I always eat back exercise cals which puts me around 1800-2K each day. I have absolutely lost inches, I'm down a whole size pants. Reassess? Are you eating enough protein? Are you eating enough food to fuel the work you're doing?

Amanda, I had a day just like that yesterday. Honestly, I felt so much better after the workout!

Love hearing from everyone. You inspire me to work harder!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I am on Workout 5 of Stage 1 now! The end is in sight! I thought I was strong before, but I gotta say, weird muscles are showing up in my upper arms and shoulders that weren't there before. Also, I randomly went down a pants size overnight. I'm not sure what inspired me to try on my 12s, but I did and they almost all fit with no muffin top! Crazy.

Sue, definitely try more weight for the squats. There is no reason not to push yourself harder with every workout, especially with legs! You can always take the extra weight off if it truly is too much for you. Something I do is add 5lbs to my second set. My muscles are used to the exercise after one set, so why not challenge them even more the second! And if it goes well, I start the next workout with the higher weight. It forces me to actually try higher weights, and there's only been one occasion when I decided to keep the weight but not up it the next workout.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Wow I am impressed with they weights you ladies squat! Well done!

And I am actually a member of the YMCA. I am in the UK and it is also very cheap here but unfortunately no squat rack. It is so annoying as I really like the gym and it is literally 2 mins walk from my flat! I emailed the other gym in my area that is run by the council. They charge about the the same so fingers crossed they have it!! There is a gym a bit further that I emailed and they have 2!! The problem is that I would have to take bus there and also it is more expensive. I will see it might be a last option.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Hey ladies.. I'm only about 2 weeks in and already feeling stronger. I really enjoy the workouts (so far) but I am absolutely terrified of the weight I'm GAINING.. I wasn't worried about not really losing any, but the gain is really worrying me. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience when starting out. I keep telling myself it's water retention and it's not possible to gain this much fat in two weeks, but I don't take my own advice very well! lol

I gained about 5lbs (124 up to 129) but have now lost 2lbs and am down to 125.5lbs. I am on my last workout of Stage 1, so I have been doing this for about 8 weeks or so.

Edited: just weighed myself again this morning :)
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Morning ladies...thanks for the better day ahead wishes!! I am still in a funk but I doubt that will go away until we address some things at home, blah!! I just feel I have WAY too much on my plate and a husband who kind of looks the other way...hoping it's just a phase as I know we all go through some rough seas. I guess it doesn't help that we have barely seen each other since vacation 2 weeks ago :(

But anywho, I meant to post on my weight post that I still usually eat at a deficit but not always intentionally. I am just full or too busy at work (we don't get 'breaks' or dinner hours - we have to fix/heat up our food and head back to our console so sometimes it is too busy to even get up). I am thinking my protein increase has a lot to do with how full I am. I am trying to Tay around 1600-2000 but end up between 1400-1800. I hope to continue to learn about food choices, etc. and I hope to make some recipes from the book, too!!

Holly, WO5!! Woot, the end is definitely in sight...unless you're like me and forget a workout when you think your're done :blushing: !! Awesome NSV!! Congrats on your 12's!!

Congrats on all the weight increases!!! Since this is my make-up B workout I don't think I will be increasing much. I did 2 sets at 125 on dead lifts and 1 set at 135, so I hope to do 1 at 125 and 2 at 135 today but not going to rush it if my body protests.

Melissa, congrats on your move-up!! I thought that too (about each time) but then I just figured it was every workout, not each set but I could be wrong. Somewhere in the book he spoke about adding weight and that some gyms don't have slight increases and their weights go by 5-10 lbs and he doesn't think everyone's body can adjust to that (especially with dumbbells, etc) so to add it each set sounds a little much...something like that, but don't quote me ;) I'm running off fumes here...I confuse myself sometimes...

Welcome AMG!!

Alright ladies, I am headed to the gym soon to knock out Workout B...final workout of Stage 1.
  • Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!! I'm new!!

I have done 2 workouts so far. I'm curious to know what you ladies started out with for squats and deadlifts? I used the 20lb barbell for squats - did not use a squat rack - my gym only has one and it always seems to be occupied. What's the alternative?

For deadlifts I started with 60lbs.

my workout b yesterday was awesome, I felt like I'd run 5k all out afterwards. It has been a long time since I had that kind of feeling after strength training. Yeah!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!! I'm new!!

I have done 2 workouts so far. I'm curious to know what you ladies started out with for squats and deadlifts? I used the 20lb barbell for squats - did not use a squat rack - my gym only has one and it always seems to be occupied. What's the alternative?

For deadlifts I started with 60lbs.

my workout b yesterday was awesome, I felt like I'd run 5k all out afterwards. It has been a long time since I had that kind of feeling after strength training. Yeah!

I started with only 65lbs for squats because I was nursing a foot injury and a quad strain. (Up to 105lbs now.) I started at 135lbs for deadlift, but revised it to 85lbs when my back was too sore the next day. (Back up to 105lbs now too lol.) I started "high" because I've been lifting since last October!

The barbell is fine for squats until you start increasing in weight. Then you will definitely need the squat rack.

Congrats on getting started! That's the hardest part.
  • Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks Holley!

I work the front desk at my gym on weekends and they are making HUGE changes and adding a power lifting program. I'm hoping to get some advice and help from the trainer while doing this program.
  • mercury8826
    Options
    I always thought I was okay strong for a girl, but geeeeeez!! You guys are showing me that I'm measly weak as heck! I increased my weights today, but only to a 55lb squat, and similar elsewhere.. >__< Although, i will say I forgot to do the extra set now that I'm official half way through Stage one. =x

I still don't feel like I'm getting better body wise... and I'm wondering if its just because I'm impatient.. @_@

Anywho, congrats Holly on the _awesome_ NSV! =D That's always a fun surprise to wake-up to! ^_^
  • melissaw1232
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

Mercury you are not weak!! we all just start out at differnet points, have different backgrounds and strengths. SO dont gauge your success on how much other people are lifting. You/ we will get there by continually adding in a little weight at a time. Use the forums to be encouraged and challenged ( ok im stepping off my pedastal now) lol
    that said I havent seen any changes in my body and Im on 5B but I feel stronger. so we are both 4 weeks in.

Holley your rocking it girl!! a new pants size and 105lb squats and 135deads are serious. woo-hoo! Im sure your loose pants are directly related in how much weight your lifting.

Welcome Digby! My start weights for deadlifts and squats were kinda low for the strenght I had in my legs. I started out at 30lb for the aquats and 30 dl. now at 80 sq and 85 dl...squats I feel that I can increase at least 10lb, DL well see tonight. I tend to be more reserved as im not trying to hurt my back.

Amanda Congratulations on finishing stage 1!!! I'll miss you in this group but I will be stalking the stage 2 group soon.lol
    4 more workouts then AMRAPS for me :-)
    Sorry about your funk. Sometimes I find that after vacation everything feels so blah! could account for how you feel plus all the extra stuff you have going on.

Think I will go up on my DL tonight. try to add 5lbs to the bar at each break for a possible increase of 15lbs
    I'll keep you guys posted

Sue?? where are you today! lol
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I just had brilliant news I found a gym close by that has a squat rack! And it is even a bit cheaper. It is a bit of a walk but I am so glad I found it. It was really bothering me that my gym didn't have one. So now I just have to wait a month to cancel the gym I am at now and switch over. I just have to work with what I have at my current gym for the next few weeks which will be mostly Stage 1 but I can always do another couple of weeks of it in the new gym.

I am so pleased!

Daisy
  • suelegal
    Options
    Here I am!!!!

Daisy congrats on the coup!!! A new gym and not a long wait to start there!! AWESOME!

Mercury honestly I thought the same as you but guess what, we lift what we can lift. I kept comparing me to others. That's my usual MO and then the next thing I do is say ah the hell with it, I can't do that like they can. and quit. I wasn't going there this time. I only have to compete with myself - do my best each time, try a little more each time. Nope, I'm not as strong as you young whippersnappers, but I'm stronger than I was when I started!! And who the heck thought a 60 yo gramma could deadlift 100 pounds after being pretty much dormant for the last 10 years of her life? I never did, but I deadlifted 2 sets of 10 at 100 this morning. Yea for US!! Every workout you do gets you stronger Mercury. You might not see a whole lot of change, but know you are building muscle! You can do it, I know!

Amanda, congrats on finishing Stage 1! What a great achievement! I wish I had some secret message that would get hubby to pay attention - mine can be the same, but really it's because he isn't overly stressed if the house is trashed or the dishes are piled up in the sink. When I get too sussed about it all he says "Gail (my mom who lives in my head), Sue has too much work to do and I think you need to leave her be about the house - we're good with the way it is now" because I am again always comparing my home to how gorgeous my childhood home was. Hope that's all yours is doing too and that you both get close again and FACE to FACE too!!! (yea you know what I mean! :blushing: )

I made a clear decision to keep repeating the last workouts and building weight until I get back from vacation!
    So I did another Stage B today and increased everything woohoo!!

Deadlifts - 100
    Shoulder press 21 dbells
    Lat pull downs - 65
    Lunges - 21 dbells
    Swissball crunches - holding 10 lbs, 1 set of 20, 1 set of 25.

Digby, my starting weights were very low. Lunges and squats at body weight only, step ups with 6 lb dumbbells, lats at 25 and shoulder presses were 5lb dbs. Lift what you can... if you can't lift it take a bit of weight off, if it feels too easy, add weight. It's real easy to over think this, but it's a pretty simple concept, if you can let it be!

Melissa - if you add 15 what does that make your deadlifts?