Stage 1

Options

Replies

• siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! :smile:

I did my first workout from the book last night (stage 1 workout A). The biggest mistake I made was showing one of the gym trainers my worksheet & asking him to show me how to use the squat rack. He spent the next 10 minutes trying to convince me to use the power plate instead! Eventually we compromised on goblet squats with a 5kg weight but I'm still annoyed about it now. I have my eye even more firmly fixed on the squat rack for tomorrow morning's session now though!! He also tried to tell me I should use the chest press instead of doing press ups & we debated that for a good few minutes...:grumble:

I was pretty conservative with the weights throughout and did 60 degree push ups as that was the only suitable surface I could see near to the seated row machine but will definitely go heavier tomorrow as I felt I could & should do more.

Did everyone else start out on the squat rack?

Your trainer sounds like a tool. I would try the 'I am going to do this and you have to show me how to do it safely so I don't hurt me or anyone else whilst I am doing it' approach.

I am so lucky with my fitness coach as he lifts and had no objection to getting me set up in the rack.

If he is not willing to help you then watch lots of you tube videos and start with just the bar. Stick with that until you are happy and comfy with the bar position on your back, and your form on the squat. my guy took me through it but I have learnt so much more since as once I did it I came home and looked up what I was doing right and wrong and then next time change it up.

This video is awesome for beginners. Watch all 3 parts.

http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/secrets-to-mastering-the-squat-part-1/
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You guys. I did REAL PUSH UPS this morning! 2 sets of 15! I was pretty freaking excited. Today was technically my fifth lifting session of NROL4W, but I'm treating it as the second since the first week was so much about me figuring out the exercises. This is also the first session since I met with the trainer on on Thursday.

A: Squats 2x15 - 85 lbs (I felt like my form was better here than it has been before. I was way more focused on keeping the weight in my heels, which really stabilized me. I also did some active stretching beforehand and did a warmup set with just the bar, which I think was helpful).
    B1: Push-Ups (REGULAR!!!) 2x15
    B2: Seated Row 2x15 - 75, 60 respectively (I used a different machine this time and it was much more difficult, not sure why. On the other machine I could easily do 80-90. On this one I really struggled with 75 on the first set and when I went down to 60 on the second set, it was still tough. Not sure why.)
    C1: Step Up 2x15 - 30 lbs (15 in each hand)
    C2: Prone Jackknife 2x8

I worked on the Prone Jackknifes with the trainer a couple of days ago as well. I have a lot of core strength, so I've been having trouble with feeling like these were difficult enough. She suggested doing them really slowly, which helped a lot.

I also have been really trying to stretch my hamstrings at every opportunity. Last night I alternated stretching each leg up on a wall while I was reading. I'm hoping I can loosen them up before too long.

LWMS, I agree that your trainer sounds like a douchecanoe. I started with the squat rack. Even if it's intimidating and you can only use the bar, it is SO MUCH better than using a machine because it actually activates all your stabilizer muscles.
  • ajidllensi
    ajidllensi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having a hard time NOT doing extra exercise? 3 short workouts of about 40 minutes each is literally half of what I was doing before (5x per week 50 minutes, plus some jogging at home). Seriously I want to go for a jog or do some cardio following my weight training. I know that the book recommends NOT doing that, but I don't know if I can stick to that in the long term.

Squat 75 lb x 15 (2 sets)
    Incline pushup 15 on Smith Rack on 5th rung from bottom, then 15 on bottom rung barbell system next to smith rack (smith rack was taken)
    Seated Row 50 lbs x 15 (1 set) 50 lbs x 10, 60 lbs x 5 (2nd set)
    Step ups 25 lbs in each hand (too heavy might go to 22.5 next time), used large step on 4 risers. 2 sets of 15
    Jacknife 2 x8

Lizpirate - prone jacknife doesn't challenge me either, so I am going to try going slow as well to see that helps!! Good job on the push ups!! Those kick my butt! I hope to be able to do 8 regular on the floor at the end of NROL4W - double what I can do now!!

Here is a quick story about the importance of accurate notes. I had 30 lbs noted for my step ups, so grabbed two 30 lbs dumbbells and got about 5 done when I realized that there was no way I was going to do 15 with good form. I thought maybe I am tired today, so went down to 25 in each hand, which still felt very heavy, but managed to complete the sets. Still thought my form wasn't the best. When i got home that it was supposed to be 15 in each hand for a TOTAL of 30. No wonder it felt so heavy! Good news is that I think that I can manage 22.5 in each hand :-)
  • siany01
    Options
    Couple of ways to make prone jackknife more challenging.

1, do a push-up on each time you straighten out
    2, do them one legged
    3, not sure what its called but my gym has these things, kinda like half a ball and a hard flat surface on top ( so you'd try and stand and balance on it). Use this to put your hands on so your balancing on it. I'll try to find a pic of what I mean.
    4, do a pike instead of jackknife.

My trainer showed me all of these options to make it more difficult.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having a hard time NOT doing extra exercise? 3 short workouts of about 40 minutes each is literally half of what I was doing before (5x per week 50 minutes, plus some jogging at home). Seriously I want to go for a jog or do some cardio following my weight training. I know that the book recommends NOT doing that, but I don't know if I can stick to that in the long term.
    Later on in the book it say you can introduce some interval training. Once i was certain my form was good, etc....I added about 15-20 mins to the end of each lifting session as well as active recovery days of cardio only on my non-lifting days. Right at first I was a little tierd & actually felt a little weak on next lifting day, but once my body got used to it I felt fine. And I still take time off if I am just too waxed....it's all about learning to read your body as an athlete..... Good luck!
  • ajidllensi
    Options
    Thanks! you and a few others have suggested that a little cardio is ok, so I think that i am going for it!
  • lesswaistmorespeed
    Options
    Thanks for the link Siany, very informative.

What time of day is everyone doing their workouts? Do you eat first?

I had my first go at B before breakfast on Saturday morning & was unable to finish the lunges. I felt really sick & shaky. I think I need to have something to eat before doing these workouts.

I did my second session of workout A last night & increased the weights but hurt my back doing the seated cable row when the handle slipped out of my hand. I managed to finish the workout but it is really stiff & sore today. I'm hoping for a miraculous recovery for tomorrow when I'm due to do my second session of workout B. Any tips?
  • ajidllensi
    Options
    Lesswaist - you definitely need to fuel your body for weightlifting. A small breakfast with lots o' protein is a good idea. You'll have better strength. Then another snack after your workout.
    If you are sick and shaky, then you may need to go down in weight. You also may want to take another recovery day, if you are really stiff and sore.
  • lesswaistmorespeed
    Options
    Yeah I got up early this morning to go to the gym but my back was still too stiff and sore so back to bed I went. I will try again tomorrow morning & see how I feel. Will definitely have something to eat & drink first this time. I'm not great at eating first thing though so do you think a protein shake made with semi skimmed milk would be sufficient?
  • panthur
    panthur Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on workout 3A/B and enjoying seeing some strength gains. My upper body strength to start was very weak. One thing I've noticed is that my wrists got stronger, at first they were killing me holding the dumb bellls.

Here's where I am now:

Squat 2x12 at 70lbs - still practicing form, thinking of switching to flatter shoes. I'm noticing my left side is weaker, so my left leg tries to swing outwards when i squat. I feel it in my lower back today and the rear of my hips.
    Push up - Started at 45 degree angle, trying to lower it progressively, but trouble finding a thing to push up off of at the right angle.
    Seated Row 2x12 55lbs
    Barbell Step Up - These kill me every time, 15lbs per hand. My left leg is getting a bit stronger.
    Jackknife 2x10 reps - These I feel are too easy but get harder when I do them slower, as someone else suggested.
    I've been adding planks on this day so I'm doing 2 60 second planks, worked up from 50 second. These are murder but I can feel them working almost every muscle.
    Then I generally add 5-10 minutes of cardio after my workout at a pretty fast pace or alternating intense with slow. My own version of a little HIIT.

I'm doing somewhat well on the nutrition part but find it hard to resist treats and then I don't come close to my protein. I'm planning on getting a better protein powder soon which will make an end of the day shake more palatable. The Aria powder I have is gritty and it is a combo of whey and soy. I hear great things about Optimum Nutrition, and I'd love to try a cupcake or rocky road flavor.
  • ajidllensi
    Options
    Yeah I got up early this morning to go to the gym but my back was still too stiff and sore so back to bed I went. I will try again tomorrow morning & see how I feel. Will definitely have something to eat & drink first this time. I'm not great at eating first thing though so do you think a protein shake made with semi skimmed milk would be sufficient?

A protein shake is a great pre-workout snack. Good luck and hope to see you post how it goes!
  • ajidllensi
    Options
    Panthur - I have the SAME problem with resisting treats. I had a Big, FAT, chocolate dipped peanut butter cookie today. I tried to justify to myself that at least there is some protein in it, but really we all know there are much better sources of protein. I have to say ....it was delicious. Not that I am not allowing myself TOO many treats, I truly do relish the occasional treat!!! The treat kicks my fat, carbs, and calories, up without my needed protein, so can't do that everyday !

Slany - I did that pike slower and it WAS harder. Good recommendation.

here is what I did today, my A3 workout:
    Squats
    6 warmup reps with 55 lbs
    2 sets of 12 with 90 lbs

Pushups
    4 rung from bottom on smith rack (yay! getting closer to horizontal)
    2 sets of 12

Seated Row
    1 set of 12 at 50lbs
    2nd set of 12 at 60 lbs (will be able to do both sets at 60 next time I think)

Stepups
    2 sets of 12 with 22.5 dumbells in each hand (45 lb total)
    4 risers on the step up

Jacknife
    2x12 slow

5 min cardio warmup, ended with 10 min HIIT, 5 Min static cardio
  • siany01
    Options
    I am sticking to doing workouts 5&6 until my shoulder is healed and I can do all of it again but my current figures are

Workout A (10 reps / 3 sets)

Squat - replaced with goblet squats - 45lb KB - Reps - 10/10/6
    Push up - Wall pushups ( rotator cuff injury recovery) - 15/15/15
    Seated row - 10 @ 66lb / 10 @ 77lb / 10 @ 88lb
    Step ups - (all 45lbs) - 20 - 5 raisers / 20 - 7 raisers / 20 - raisers
    Prone Jackknife - 15/15/15

Workout B (10 reps / 3 sets)

Deadlift - 10 @ 77lb / 10 @ 88lb / 10 @ 88lb
    Dumbell shoulder press - 30lb - 10/8 (stopped for sore shoulder
    Lat Pull Downs - unable to do these due to rotator cuff
    Lunge - 45lb - 20/20/20
    Swiss ball crunch - replace with planks - 30secs/30secs/40secs

I think I will stay doing these rounds until I can bring back proper back squat and lat pull downs in again, its getting better and I can do the inchworm to warm up pain free and the jackknifes didn't really bother it. I keep trying the lat pull down with 30lbs on it and if it pulls then I don't put my working weight on.

With regard to eating I don't eat before I workout. I get up, dressed etc, cuppa and go. I can't face food that early lol.
  • lesswaistmorespeed
    Options
    My back is finally on the mend & I hope to be back in the gym tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

I'm not following the nutrition plan, just trying to eat well most of the time.
  • siany01
    Options
    I'm not following the nutrition plan. I am far too pickier eater for that lol. I just try to make the right choices and have a break once a month when I eat at around maintenance for a couple of days.
  • lesswaistmorespeed
    Options
    Woke up this morning back to square one with my back. I'm so fed up. Going to try to rest it as much as possible over the weekend & hope to get back to the gym on Monday.

It's not all bad. I did my measurements last night, one week in & am really pleased - I've lost 5cm over my thighs, hips, waist & chest!! No change on the calves and arms. Not bad seeing as I haven't worked out since Monday!
  • ajidllensi
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Did you get your lifts in over the weekend, or take a break? I got mine in and did a cardio tennis class on Saturday morning too and went jogging too. Did I mention two hours of gardening and yard-work? Good think its was nice out and I love my rose garden anyway. Lots of good exercise and it is a good thing, because I ate like a pig! Here is my lift from yesterday:

7.14.13 (B4 - I am half-way there :-)
    Squats
    6 warm up at 65
    12 reps at 90
    12 reps at 100

Seated Row
    2 sets of 12 at 60 lbs

(skipped pushups, did lots of those at tennis)

Step ups
    12 reps at 22.5 (in each hand)
    12 reps at 25 lbs (in each hand)

Prone Jacknife
    2 sets of 12 SLOW with a little pike

Siany - I hope your rotator cuff is better soon. Take care of those injuries, so they heal right!

Less waist - GREAT to see such changes so quickly - good for you!!
  • siany01
    Options
    Hi,

Yeah, I lifted at the weekend. I do a Saturday morning as regular.

Squat - replaced with goblet squats - 35lb KB - Reps - 10/10/10
    Push up - 75% pushups ( rotator cuff injury recovery) - 15/15/15
    Seated row - 10 @ 99lb / 10 @ 99lb / 10 @ 99lb
    Step ups - (all 45lbs) - 20 - 6 raisers / 20 - 6 raisers / 20 - 6 raisers
    Prone Jackknife - 15/15/15

I decided to go on the treadmill for a bit to see how I did and I managed 20 mins at 6kph 2% incline (no previous cardio)

Today I decided to start doing couch 2 5k and I jogged / ran for 50 mins. I will be going in at week 3 next time as I have realised I am nowhere near couch anymore :happy: I felt really good when I finished.

I did try putting the barbell on my back on Saturday but it was pulling so I stopped and did goblets again. I will see how it is tomorrow and decide if I need to do goblets again.
  • lesswaistmorespeed
    Options
    Less waist - GREAT to see such changes so quickly - good for you!!

Thank you. Less waist already!!

My back is 90% better but I still haven't been back in the gym. We're having a heat wave in England at the moment & we are just not set up for these kind of temperatures here. I am LOVING the sunshine but the air con in my gym is rubbish.
  • ThinkThin85
    ThinkThin85 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Quick question: How important is the rest week between stage 1 and stage 2?