Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you're doing great! Really!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you have great numbers! Of course, everyone starts out at different levels. I think if your purse is heavier than your weights, then they are Barbie weights. :)
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Done with Stage 1!

Squats35lbs -> 66lbs
    Rows 46lbs ->77lbs
    pushups floor
    step up 44lbs ->88lbs

deadlifft 46lbs -> 112lbs
    press 11lbs -> 18lbs each hand
    lat pull 17lbs -> 69lbs
    lunge 22lbs ->44lbs Dumbells each hand
    crunch BW -> 31lb on chest

I'm especially pleased with my deadlift, not so pleased with my squat, i feel as if I should be able to do more but I don't have a spotter so I'm a little scared of getting pinned as I can't lift the weight over my head. Can't wait for my brother to come home from Thailand so he can spot me!!!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Done with Stage 1!

Squats35lbs -> 66lbs
    Rows 46lbs ->77lbs
    pushups floor
    step up 44lbs ->88lbs

lat pull 17lbs -> 69lbs

I'm especially pleased with my deadlift, not so pleased with my squat, i feel as if I should be able to do more but I don't have a spotter so I'm a little scared of getting pinned as I can't lift the weight over my head. Can't wait for my brother to come home from Thailand so he can spot me!!!

Great job! Those step up weights are major! How tall are you stepping???

Do you feel like you've changed physically?
  • jnh17
    Options
    Hi everyone!

CAUTION: I have never lifted a day in my life until now, so please excuse my ignorance if I come off like I don't have a clue, it's because I really don't :blushing:

I often hear about girls using "Barbie weights" and was curious if I might fall into this category? I just did stage 1, workout 6B on Friday, and here are my numbers:

Squats: 95 lbs including bar
    Shoulder press: 15 lbs per side (30 lbs total)
    Lat pull downs: 60 lbs
    Step ups: 15 lb db per side (30 lbs total)
    Jackknife: proficient

Dead lifts: 105 lbs including bar
    Push ups: 45 degree
    Seated row: 60 lbs
    Lunges: 15 lb db per side (30 lbs total)
    Crunches: 25 lb weight on chest

Am I doing OK, or do I need to work harder? Please be honest as I am new to lifting and don't know what to expect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm doing 6b today. Your weights are almost identical to mine and although I haven't been lifting lately, I've lifted pretty heavy in the past. Very impressive considering you've never lifted!
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I did three days of each A and B routine at 15 reps. I started 12 reps today. Such a big brain fart! Oh well, no worries, I'll just do it right from here on out.

Good thing though I've been getting compliments left and right. More people at church complimented me yesterday than has happened since January!

I weighed in on Saturday and was down a half pound with a inch off my waist. I didn't record it, because I was waiting for my two day rest from lifting, which was today. So I weighed in this morning and was back up a half pound. Too funny. I am not recording anything until this stage is over.

I said all of this to say, THIS WORKS AND IT ROCKS!!!
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

CAUTION: I have never lifted a day in my life until now, so please excuse my ignorance if I come off like I don't have a clue, it's because I really don't :blushing:

I often hear about girls using "Barbie weights" and was curious if I might fall into this category? I just did stage 1, workout 6B on Friday, and here are my numbers:

Am I doing OK, or do I need to work harder? Please be honest as I am new to lifting and don't know what to expect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm going to do 7A tomorrow so we're at the same place. You're lifting more on the squats and deadlifts but otherwise very similar I think. I feel like I'm doing "barbie weights" with the squats and deadlifts (barely more than the olympic bar) but I'm concerned about my form. I had never lifted before either so I think we're doing great :wink:
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm doing 6b today. Your weights are almost identical to mine and although I haven't been lifting lately, I've lifted pretty heavy in the past. Very impressive considering you've never lifted!

Thank you so much, it means alot, coming from someone whose "been there, done that"
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm going to do 7A tomorrow so we're at the same place. You're lifting more on the squats and deadlifts but otherwise very similar I think. I feel like I'm doing "barbie weights" with the squats and deadlifts (barely more than the olympic bar) but I'm concerned about my form. I had never lifted before either so I think we're doing great :wink:

I'm supposed to do 7A today, but I sprained my left foot pretty bad yesterday, so it looks like I'll be on the sidelines cheering you on the next few days! Have fun, I wish I could be doing them with you. :cry:
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Done with Stage 1!

Squats35lbs -> 66lbs
    Rows 46lbs ->77lbs
    pushups floor
    step up 44lbs ->88lbs

lat pull 17lbs -> 69lbs

Nicely done! Question - I am on week 3 and nowhere near that squat or deadlift weight. What kind of squats and deadlifts are you doing? I switched over to roman deadlifts (figured they would be easier on my back). and now after reading some posts on proper squat form I have decided to try squatting all the way to the floor (*kitten* to floor ATF as they put it!). I was squating 75 pounds but if I go all the way to the ground guessing I will need to remove some weight. Just curious? Also. were you using a bar for the step ups?
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Done with Stage 1!

Squats35lbs -> 66lbs
    Rows 46lbs ->77lbs
    pushups floor
    step up 44lbs ->88lbs

lat pull 17lbs -> 69lbs

Nicely done! Question - I am on week 3 and nowhere near that squat or deadlift weight. What kind of squats and deadlifts are you doing? I switched over to roman deadlifts (figured they would be easier on my back). and now after reading some posts on proper squat form I have decided to try squatting all the way to the floor (*kitten* to floor ATF as they put it!). I was squating 75 pounds but if I go all the way to the ground guessing I will need to remove some weight. Just curious? Also. were you using a bar for the step ups?

I have no idea how tall the step was, its a rebok one thats in the gym, taller than a staircase step but only by like an inch or so it think. I have definitely changed physically, I can see some definition on my abs, i'm getting that shelf on my thighs just above the knee and my triceps are showing. Also my clothes are looser so I'm losing inches (haven't actually measured yet as I want the post workout swelling to go down first)

I started my squatting at home with a small barbell but when I went to the gym the trainer said my form wasn't right so from about week 4 ive been using the smith machine as my form was good with that and doing some other exercises to improve my form. I only go to parallel with the squats, I only go further if I do bodyweight goblet squats. With the deadlifts I've been doing the one in the book with the bent knees, really working my *kitten* on that. Stepups were done with dumbells 44lb (20KG) in each hand, its about the maximum I can get off the dumbell rack lol.

It's been fun and I have definatley seen improvement in my body so its worth sticking too. I'm all excited for stage two already :happy:
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just finished 4A today. I felt like it was a big day because I graduated up to the squat rack (as opposed to holding a DB in my hands).

Squats 10lbs -> 55lbs
    Rows 20lbs -> 50lbs
    step up 10lbs -> 40lbs

Advice: I feel like I still struggle with the push ups. I can do the reps on my knees. I tried doing them on my toes today and got about 1 done and them my form fell apart. I know some of you do them against tables, or on stairs to be angled (30-45 angle). Anybody feel if doing it that way (30-45 degrees) is better than on my knees? I'd like to do be able to do them proper (face to floor, on my toes) at some point, but not sure the correct path to get there.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    All of these numbers are so encouraging ladies. I won't be finished until next week, but am almost a little scared to move onto Stage 2. I feel like I'm just getting the routine now. :)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Did 3A today at a new gym,, tried the smith machine.. it was a little awkward.. but i wanted to try it so i could increase my weights.

Squats on smith machine - 30(plus bar weight)
    Rows 60lbs
    pushups on knees
    step up 25lb dumbells.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Advice: I feel like I still struggle with the push ups. I can do the reps on my knees. I tried doing them on my toes today and got about 1 done and them my form fell apart. I know some of you do them against tables, or on stairs to be angled (30-45 angle). Anybody feel if doing it that way (30-45 degrees) is better than on my knees? I'd like to do be able to do them proper (face to floor, on my toes) at some point, but not sure the correct path to get there.

I have no basis for this other than my own experience, so take it for what it's worth...:smile:

I have done push-ups on my knees, but I'm using the smith machine for doing them at an incline for NROL4W. I find that it is much easier to keep proper form and it gives me the opportunity to increase the difficulty more gradually. As they get easier, I lower the incline. Gravity increases the challenge. Just my 2 cents.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just finished 8B today and have finished Stage 1! I thought I'd pop in and post my numbers:

Workout A:

Squats: 20lb barbell --- 85lbs.
    Push-ups: Wall pushups --- bench pushups (mid-shin height)
    Seated Row: 40lbs --- 85lbs.
    Step-ups: 3-riser step with 20lbs. --- 5-riser step with 40lbs.
    Prone Jackknife: Body weight --- Same (but improved form and increased reps from 8 to 12)

Workout B:

Deadlifts: 25lbs. --- 110lbs*
    Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 40lbs --- 75lbs
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: Two 10lb dumbells --- Two 17.5lb dumbbells
    Lunges: Two 12.5lb dumbbells --- 40lb barbell
    Swiss Ball Crunches: Body weight --- Same (but improved form and increased reps from 8 to 12)

See you guys in the Stage 2 thread! :drinker:
  • jnh17
    Options

I have no basis for this other than my own experience, so take it for what it's worth...:smile:

I have done push-ups on my knees, but I'm using the smith machine for doing them at an incline for NROL4W. I find that it is much easier to keep proper form and it gives me the opportunity to increase the difficulty more gradually. As they get easier, I lower the incline. Gravity increases the challenge. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. In November, I couldn't do 1 regular pushup and even doing them counter height was hard. I downloaded a pushup app and worked my way to doing 15 regular pushups in a row and 75 in one workout. Give it time but girl pushups will not get you there. Ones you go up to your toes, you'll still have to do them at a pretty good incline -- so why not start there? :)
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Well ladies. I completed A4 last night. I'm sufficiently sore this morning. (Love that feeling. Makes me feel like I'm working hard.) One question before moving to A5. If the workout was to stay the same with 2 sets and 12 reps I would go up in weight. However, with adding that extra set, I'm more inclined to stay where I am. What is suggested?
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing Stage 1 Cloud!

Today I did 7A. Squats and pushups are still weak but I feel like I'm getting a good understanding of where I can push myself and where to hold back a little.

I did feel today that I would have tried another 10# on my squat if I had a partner - I'm afraid I can't get up going below parallel. No partner available to me during this time and I don't want to buddy with a gym dude (creepy). I also can't afford a private instructor. I guess I'll just keep the weight lower until I feel I'm ready on my own? Any thoughts or anyone have this experience?
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    loricolwill and loricolwill: thanks for the feedback, I will drop the girly push-ups and try the incline push-ups!