Stage 1

Options

Replies

• MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I tried to increase my overhead press to 60 lbs. today and it was a major fail. Why don't they make 27.5 lb. dumbbells? On the plus side, I deadlifted more than I weigh. That felt pretty awesome.

First, congrats on the dead lift!

Same for me on the presses, have been going up in 5 lb increments, but you are right, the leap from 50 to 60 pounds is way too much. 50 about kills me. I'm wondering about using those little strap on hand weights? I think you can get them in 2 or 3 pound increments. Anyone know about these and if that would work. (*you know, the kind they use for Piloxing?)
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear some input from the group on Barbell squats vs. Squat racks. My problem with Barbell squats is that I can only lift the 40lb barbell over my head so that's the max I have been squatting. I bet I could go more but I am scared of the squat rack - I just finished 7A today - not sure if any of the other stages have squats so may just keep doing what I'm doing :) Thoughts?

The squat rack is your friend. You can set it so you can pick the weight up behind you, then set the stoppers so if you get stock, all you have to do is lower the bar to the side stop supports and duck under. if you can, get someone at your gym to show you how to set it up. Once you do this, you will NEVER go back to the bar bells, promise!

^ This
  • austelle
    Options
    I have a question for y'all. If you aren't making increases in strength do you think that means you should increase calorie intake? I have been eating at a deficit throughout stage 1. My TDEE is 2083 and I eat at 1800 on lifting days and 1400 (just above BMR) on rest days. I just finished stage 1 today and I am frustrated that my numbers haven't moved much.
    I'm wondering if anyone else had issues with this and what caused it. Some of it, I think, is learning proper form. However, my puny upper body hasn't progressed at all and it is quite a source of frustration. I have some body fat to lose and am terrified that increasing calories will just pack on fat.

Here's the stats, just to illustrate:

A
    Squat: 45 ---> 80
    Pushup: next to last notch of smith --> can do 5 reps on last notch but not a whole set
    Seated row: 50--->80
    Step up: 25 db ---> 65 bb, step with 5 risers
    Prone jackknife: as in book ---> roll back, toes on ball

B
    Deadlift: 95--->95
    Shoulder press: 15--->20 but can't do a whole set
    Lat-pull down: 50--->70
    Lunge: 15--->25
    Ball crunch: holding 10 plate ----> 20 kettlebell overhead
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a question for y'all. If you aren't making increases in strength do you think that means you should increase calorie intake? I have been eating at a deficit throughout stage 1. My TDEE is 2083 and I eat at 1800 on lifting days and 1400 (just above BMR) on rest days. I just finished stage 1 today and I am frustrated that my numbers haven't moved much.
    I'm wondering if anyone else had issues with this and what caused it. Some of it, I think, is learning proper form. However, my puny upper body hasn't progressed at all and it is quite a source of frustration. I have some body fat to lose and am terrified that increasing calories will just pack on fat.

Here's the stats, just to illustrate:

A
    Pushup: next to last notch of smith --> can do 5 reps on last notch but not a whole set

B

I think your increases look good. You may have had a better idea of where to start out -- that's why some people are able to increase so rapidly.

So are these your first numbers compared to your workout 8 numbers or your AMRAP? I'm just confused if you could do 2 sets of 15 deadlifts at 95 and could only do 95lbs for 3 reps of 8.

As far as getting fatty, isn't it not possible to GAIN fat if you're not eating more calories than you're using in a day? I do 7b tomorrow and thus far (and this is after 3 days of rx diuretics) I've GAINED 3 lbs. It's a mental game (especially since I'll be in a bikini in 2.5 weeks). I know it's not fat. How could it be?
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Finished 7B and happy with the little increases! Having fewer reps seems to encourage me to look at the next weight up and think... "you can just TRY it and see how it goes"

Deadlifts - 95# (was only going to do 85)
    DB shoulder- 30# (was going to do 24# but I managed this... my left shoulder is weak and gets to the top slower)
    Pull downs - 50# (tried 60 on the last set but couldn't bring them low enough)
    Lunge - 40# (was going to do 30)
    Crunch - 15 reps with added 15#

Moral of the story is that I need to push myself to find out what I can actually do :wink:
    I'm looking forward to one more B workout and see if I can increase these numbers one more time.
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Finished 7B and happy with the little increases! Having fewer reps seems to encourage me to look at the next weight up and think... "you can just TRY it and see how it goes" .......

Moral of the story is that I need to push myself to find out what I can actually do :wink:
    I'm looking forward to one more B workout and see if I can increase these numbers one more time.

Way to go! Nicely done!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    I have a question for y'all. If you aren't making increases in strength...... However, my puny upper body hasn't progressed at all and it is quite a source of frustration. I have some body fat to lose and am terrified that increasing calories will just pack on fat.

A

B

You are doing GREAT. Just keep where you are, it is working! Next session, you just watch and see!
  • worthyofchange
    Options

As far as getting fatty, isn't it not possible to GAIN fat if you're not eating more calories than you're using in a day? I do 7b tomorrow and thus far (and this is after 3 days of rx diuretics) I've GAINED 3 lbs. It's a mental game (especially since I'll be in a bikini in 2.5 weeks). I know it's not fat. How could it be?

Yeah - big ol' mental game for sure. I still weight myself regularly because I consider it ONE of the tools in my toolbox. It doesn't show me my progress so much now that I'm lifting but it keeps me honest about logging my food. That's why I use it. Measuring my body works better for me but that fluctuates too with the water weight due to lifting. It's a crazy learning curve!
  • worthyofchange
    Options
    MamaWannaRun: I think I was encouraged by seeing what you've been lifting :happy:
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I tried to increase my overhead press to 60 lbs. today and it was a major fail. Why don't they make 27.5 lb. dumbbells? On the plus side, I deadlifted more than I weigh. That felt pretty awesome.

First, congrats on the dead lift!

Same for me on the presses, have been going up in 5 lb increments, but you are right, the leap from 50 to 60 pounds is way too much. 50 about kills me. I'm wondering about using those little strap on hand weights? I think you can get them in 2 or 3 pound increments. Anyone know about these and if that would work. (*you know, the kind they use for Piloxing?)

Thanks! I know what you're talking about-some gals use them in turbokick class, but do you think grip would be an issue? Might be worth a try....
  • austelle
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I guess, I am jealous of some of the bigger numbers I see here on the forum, especially on overhead presses! As for the deadlift, I did manage to squeak out 2 sets of 15 at 95 lbs BUT quickly realized that my form was terrible. I backed way down on the weight and focused on correcting form and then worked back up to 95. I was really hoping for a bodyweight deadlift by the end, but oh, well.

It is so difficult for me to eat at maintenance! My brain keeps telling me I'll get fat if I do that! I'm going to keep things the way they are for now, and take some photos and measurements after each stage.

You are all an inspiration! If it weren't for fellow nrl'rs on mfp, I know I wouldn't be sticking to the program! See y'all in the stage 2 thread!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I LOVE NROL4W. Is anyone else extending stage 1? I'm thinking about going for 36 stage 1 workouts. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll get to 8A and think, "ON TO THE NEXT ONE" but who knows!

Personally, I would go to the next stage. I think you will find it a challenge and rewarding. It's tough but I love the DOMS. I know I am working more muscles than previously.

Thanks! I'm a little wary of the more complicated and lighter weight lifts in it, but I guess it's a short stage so I may as well just do it! I just wanna squat and deadlift forever. :(
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I LOVE NROL4W. Is anyone else extending stage 1? I'm thinking about going for 36 stage 1 workouts. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll get to 8A and think, "ON TO THE NEXT ONE" but who knows!

Personally, I would go to the next stage. I think you will find it a challenge and rewarding. It's tough but I love the DOMS. I know I am working more muscles than previously.

Thanks! I'm a little wary of the more complicated and lighter weight lifts in it, but I guess it's a short stage so I may as well just do it! I just wanna squat and deadlift forever. :(

Me too I love my deadlifts! Workout 3B today and deadlift was 110lbs :bigsmile:
    I know I'd get bored if I added extra workouts to stage one, much as I like the squats and deads I know they'll be back
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm doing workout 5A today, so I'm halfway through stage 1. I just did my measurements to see how things were going and I have to say I'm stoked!

I posted an update here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/601650-it-works-it-really-works

And compared to some of you, I'm a light weight. My weights don't even come close to what some of you are lifting. But I'M making progress.

It really does work!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Finished 7B today. I am doing the program at home using dumbbells.

SLDL - 2 X 20 =40 (sets 3 x 10)
    Overhead Press - 2 X 15 = 30 (sets 3 x 10)
    Modified version of the lat pull down - 15lb (sets 3 x 10)
    Lunges - 2 x 20 = 40 (10 on ea leg = 1 set, 20 total) ( sets 3 x 10)
    Modified crunch using weights = 15lb (sets 3 x 10)

Hoping to increase my weights next week (keeping my fingers crossed)

The numbers seem low when compared to the rest of you, but I am definitely getting/seeing results.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Finished my last Stage 1A workout today. I can't believe it's over (well, I still have those AMRAPS, right?) Final results (using my 2nd workout as my starting point since I had no idea what I was doing with that barbell):
    Squats: 55 lbs. to 145 lbs.
    Pushups: regular to incline with my leg up (trying to move into the t position from the incline has been a challenge)
    Seated Rows: 70 lbs. to 125 lbs.
    Stepups: 60 lbs (2 30 lb dumbbells) to 105 lbs. on the barbell over my shoulders
    Jackknifes: struggled with them early on and now do the roll back pike. I actually love them now!

Gained 3 lbs. (boo!), according to the BF scale, my BF has stayed exactly the same (18%) despite the gain (what's up with that?), lost 1 stinkin' inch (after I accounted for increases & decreases in all body parts-yep I gained some in my waist and butt). Going on a mini vacation next week and am hoping the hotel has some weights to finish out 1B. Happy weekend, everyone!
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Completed workout 5A this evening. I was able to increase the weight on just about everything, despite the additional set.

One question for you, does anyone use gloves? I'm having a really hard time holding on to the dumbbells for the step ups. I was wondering if gloves would help?
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Completed workout 5A this evening. I was able to increase the weight on just about everything, despite the additional set.

One question for you, does anyone use gloves? I'm having a really hard time holding on to the dumbbells for the step ups. I was wondering if gloves would help?

I have heard arguments for using gloves and not using gloves. If you think it will help, I say go for it. I know today I have some callouses that I am not too happy about!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Thanks! I know what you're talking about-some gals use them in turbokick class, but do you think grip would be an issue? Might be worth a try....

if I give it a try, I will let you know.
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    MamaWannaRun: I think I was encouraged by seeing what you've been lifting.

Thanks! I am really trying to push myself. I have lifted weights (not too heavy) off and on most of my life. Never really stuck with any set program, so I'm hoping I can learn some new tricks as an old dog here. Fingers are crossed.

TO ALL OF THE NROLFW peeps, It sounds like a lot of us struggle with form as we increase but the dumb bell weights are forcing us to jump too fast. How are you dealing with this?

I am going to ask my dh to go to the gym with me for the next couple of times as I am pretty sure, the heavier I lift, the worse my form gets. I think I am going to force myself to stay at the weights I am now and get this form better. I didn't think I wanted to drag out this stage too long (I admit, I am already a little bored and want to do more stuff). THOUGHTS?