Stage 1

Options

Replies

• loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Ok.. Reporting Time.. I'm super excited. Result: I will CONTINUE to lift and try to get in a bit more cardio!

Here's what I found after 1 month (more or less) of NR..

(inches)
    Bust - 40.5 > 39
    Waist - 34.75 > 33.75
    Hips - 38.5 > 37
    Thigh - 22.5 >21

Body Fat 36.9% > 34.5%
    Fat Mass 57.2 > 51.8 pounds
    Weight 154.8 > 150.2 pounds.

I'll give you the lift progress once I get to my AMRAP in a few weeks.

That is awesome progress! Way to go!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    5B today.

Deadlift: 95 lbs.
    DB Shoulder Press: 15lb dumbells
    Lat Pulldown: 90 lbs.
    Lunge: holding two 15 lb. dumbbells
    DBs Swiss Ball Crunch: holding a 25 lb. weight

For those doing free squats with the bar - do you always have a spotter? I've never tried the squat rack yet, only with dumbells and then the smith machine. but i want to try it. The smith machine really hurts the back of my neck where the bar presses in.. do you have this issue with the free bar?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    5B today.

Deadlift: 95 lbs.
    DB Shoulder Press: 15lb dumbells
    Lat Pulldown: 90 lbs.
    Lunge: holding two 15 lb. dumbbells
    DBs Swiss Ball Crunch: holding a 25 lb. weight

For those doing free squats with the bar - do you always have a spotter? I've never tried the squat rack yet, only with dumbells and then the smith machine. but i want to try it. The smith machine really hurts the back of my neck where the bar presses in.. do you have this issue with the free bar?

if your squat rack is a power rack it will have some adjustable guards that you can put on the sides so that if you fail it will catch the bar. I put mine about 3 inches below my normal squat height (which is super massively improved GO TEAM). So, you definitely don't need a squatter if you're using a power rack unless it's for the sake of form.

Also, move the bar down a bit on your body. I can't do low back squats in the rippetoe fashion, but I do rest it across my trapezius and have had very little issues with pain, while my husband is always coming home with bruises on his lower neck from his too-high barbell squats.
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    We are both at the same place. 5B about killed me today, but I guess that helps me know I am doing it right!

Also, I HATE how the dudes are too lazy to take their weights off the power racks. I will actually track someone down to unload it if I have too! If I can't find the dude, I mention it to the worker at the gym so that he can keep an eye out and bust the jerk the next time he sees it. I make sure he knows I am unhappy! lol.. it is the principle of the thing for me!

Yessss. That works. Luckily most of the guys in my gym aren't squatting anything worth mentioning, so I don't mind de racking them, I just hate thinking I'm interrupting someone trying to do alternating sets.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Ok.. Reporting Time.. I'm super excited. Result: I will CONTINUE to lift and try to get in a bit more cardio!

Here's what I found after 1 month (more or less) of NR..

(inches)
    Bust - 40.5 > 39
    Waist - 34.75 > 33.75
    Hips - 38.5 > 37
    Thigh - 22.5 >21

Body Fat 36.9% > 34.5%
    Fat Mass 57.2 > 51.8 pounds
    Weight 154.8 > 150.2 pounds.

I'll give you the lift progress once I get to my AMRAP in a few weeks.

Fantastic progress!
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Phew! I did 5B today and it was murdermurdermurder. I think because I've finally settled into weights that are really pushing my limits.. That's why I'm totally going to do at least 10 of each stage 1 workout, though I may go up to 18 as I originally planned.

..I guess I'm also altering the workout slightly - I started 3 sets of 8 in the last workout, but I wouldn't be opposed to increasing my weight and going for 6 reps. I wonder how bad it is to deviate. Ohhh. Well. Thoughts.

105 deadlifts, which I'll increase next time 10-20 lbs, I think would be okay.
    20 shoulder press, which I'll increase to 25 next time, pretty sure I'm ready.
    85 lat pulldowns, down from 100, but I was sore from burpees.
    30 lunges.. I dunno. These still feel awful. Why is my lunger broken? and they make me SO SORE.

I also skipped abs since I was still sore from going gung-ho on workout A. :(

Confession, my workout 5A was modified. I did bench instead of pushups because my husband said he was tired of pushups (army) and I didn't want to disgruntle him by saying, "Too bad too sad I'm doing pushups watch me now". And for abs, I did jackknives and swiss ball crunches +25 overhead, and I felt really good with the jacknives so I just kept on going. LOL. Paying for it now!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Phew! I did 5B today and it was murdermurdermurder. I think because I've finally settled into weights that are really pushing.....

Confession, my workout 5A was modified.

I am EXACTLY there! It is hard (or as hard as we make it right!)... As to modify, you do what you have to do to get thru this. I'm pretty sure we are not getting a grade.. And OMG the freaking lunges and step ups ARE using muscles I don't normally use.. I swear, it gives walking up steps a whole new perspective. Kind of.... LOVE it!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I finished stage 1 (started stage 2 yesterday) and thought I'd give a before/after of my arm. I know it's not much, but to the owner of that body, it's a huge change! And I"m not kidding, I was trying to flex like whoa in that before picture. Hahaha....sad :(!

30vkl6g.jpg
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    I am EXACTLY there! It is hard (or as hard as we make it right!)... As to modify, you do what you have to do to get thru this. I'm pretty sure we are not getting a grade.. And OMG the freaking lunges and step ups ARE using muscles I don't normally use.. I swear, it gives walking up steps a whole new perspective. Kind of.... LOVE it!

Yeah, I keep on imagining Boromir (Lord of the Rings) saying "One does not simply walk up the stairs after lunge day" Totally not complaining, though. hehehe.
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Hey guys! I finished stage 1 (started stage 2 yesterday) and thought I'd give a before/after of my arm. I know it's not much, but to the owner of that body, it's a huge change! And I"m not kidding, I was trying to flex like whoa in that before picture. Hahaha....sad :(!

No way, it's awesome. You can even tell your back and traps look more taut! Congratulations!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options

30vkl6g.jpg

You look fantastic! Great shoulder definition!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I finished stage 1 (started stage 2 yesterday) and thought I'd give a before/after of my arm.

S.E.R.I.O.U.S.L.Y A.W.E.S.O.M.E!!!!!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Finished stage 1!! Stats are all in lbs.

Deadlift: 15 dumbells --> 65+barbell (no idea what that weighs)
    Shoulder press: 15s--> 20s (it's getting easy, but the next step up is 30... tried it and ouch)
    Lunges: body weight (and dying) --> 20 dumbells (and only grunting)
    Squats: BW --> 45+bar
    Pushups: 45 degree incline --> floor
    Stepups: BW--> 20 dumbells

I don't have a ball so I just do bicycle crunches until I fall off the bench basically.

Almost no increase in other exercises. Also my weight went up a few pounds (to 135, which is where I thought it was, but I got scrawnier than I thought :embarassed: ) Measurements are the same.

Looking forward to TWO
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Shoulder press: 15s--> 20s (it's getting easy, but the next step up is 30... tried it and ouch)

I don't have a ball so I just do bicycle crunches until I fall off the bench basically.

Almost no increase in other exercises. Also my weight went up a few pounds (to 135, which is where I thought it was, but I got scrawnier than I thought :embarassed: ) Measurements are the same.

Looking forward to TWO

Nice progress Polly, enjoy stage 2 :happy:
  • nickm21
    Options

30vkl6g.jpg

It is a huge change, can really see the definition. Well done!
  • TheFunBun
    Options

Looking forward to TWO

Awesome, barbells are usually 45 (oly) so that's a damn good deadlift increase! Everything else is amazing too! GO TEAM!
  • nickm21
    Options
    Did workout 5b yesterday and man my glutes know about it today. Walking, sittting, going upstairs, all are uncomfortable; on the plus side my lower back aches less than last time so my back strength must be increasing :bigsmile:
  • Fairieluv77
    Fairieluv77 Posts: 95
    Options
    Did the first B workout last night. I definitely did not use enough weight on workout A. I feel it this morning! For anyone doing this at home, how did you do the lat pull down? I held dumbells above my head and used the same motion as a pulley machine. Just not sure if that was the right thing to do or not.
    Thanks!
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Did the first B workout last night. I definitely did not use enough weight on workout A. I feel it this morning! For anyone doing this at home, how did you do the lat pull down? I held dumbells above my head and used the same motion as a pulley machine. Just not sure if that was the right thing to do or not.
    Thanks!

Hi, the next page in the book after lat pull downs shows an exercise called a "pullover" in which you lie on your back with your arms overhead and pull dumbells up until your arms are perpendicular to your body. Apparently it works lats and triceps instead of lats and biceps, but it's still lat enough for them! :)
  • Fairieluv77
    Fairieluv77 Posts: 95
    Options
    Thanks!

Hi, the next page in the book after lat pull downs shows an exercise called a "pullover" in which you lie on your back with your arms overhead and pull dumbells up until your arms are perpendicular to your body. Apparently it works lats and triceps instead of lats and biceps, but it's still lat enough for them! :)

Thanks for this! I'll check it out next time.