Stage 1

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to muscle in (pun intended) a smile goes a long way. and most military guys guys have had manners literally beaten into them.a
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am excited to be done with Stage 1 next week.

I have to wait for guys to use weights at my work gym almost everyday. One asked me what event I am training for.

So far I really like Nrol4 W. I get sore doing deadlifts once in awhile not sure if that is from doing them wrong or from upping my weight too much.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Stage 1 7B tomorrow..

not at my regular gym so don't know exactly what I'm gonna have to modify.

Will report back tomorrow!!

Go Team.. you ladies rock!!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I was able to complete all the exercises at home last night with two 8-lb dumbbells; the only modification I had to do was bent rows instead of seated rows. It definitely wasn't enough weight though, so next time I'm just going to muscle in at the gym....I'm just afraid of looking stupid. :embarassed:
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I start A8 tomorrow and finish 8B on Friday! Then I have decided to do the AMRAP next week. I am debating taking a week off, but since I do my workouts MWF I would be taking more like a week and a half. Maybe I will just take that Th-Su off?

What do you all think is best?
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I'm pretty new to this forum as I did 3A yesterday. I have a question for you all, I switched to a different gym because my old gym only had the Smith Machine, no squat rack. On that machine I was warming up with 20 pounds then upping to 30 pounds for my first set and 40 pounds for my second set. Yesterday when I was using the squat rack and I was supposed to be 12 reps instead of the previous 15 reps which means upping my weights I could literally only do a warm-up with the bar and then both sets of 12 reps with 20 pounds of weight.

Does this seem like a step backward? I feel a little weak on the squats, not sure why but maybe there is a big difference in the Smith Machine vs the Squat Rack?
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I'm pretty new to this forum as I did 3A yesterday. I have a question for you all, I switched to a different gym because my old gym only had the Smith Machine, no squat rack. On that machine I was warming up with 20 pounds then upping to 30 pounds for my first set and 40 pounds for my second set. Yesterday when I was using the squat rack and I was supposed to be 12 reps instead of the previous 15 reps which means upping my weights I could literally only do a warm-up with the bar and then both sets of 12 reps with 20 pounds of weight.

Does this seem like a step backward? I feel a little weak on the squats, not sure why but maybe there is a big difference in the Smith Machine vs the Squat Rack?

There is a huge difference bet. the Smith machine & squat rack. You're better off in the squat rack, even if you can't carry as much weight. The olympic bar alone weighs 45 lb. (I have no idea how much the Smith bar weighs), but you definitely have to work harder when there's no machine to balance it for you. So if you were able to do workout A3 with the bar plus 20 lb. (assuming 10 lb. on each side), then you were squatting 65 lb., which I think is pretty awesome, especially for your 3rd Workout A! :)
  • Lindsay0405
    Options
    I just finished Week 1 of Phase 1 and I'm super excited about this program.

Week 2 starts tomorrow!

One quick question - are you guys adding weight with each workout or do you add weight like each "week"
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I was able to complete all the exercises at home last night with two 8-lb dumbbells; the only modification I had to do was bent rows instead of seated rows. It definitely wasn't enough weight though, so next time I'm just going to muscle in at the gym....I'm just afraid of looking stupid. :embarassed:

Great start... My cousin just posted this on facebook.... if you want to feel better about yourself.. Go to Walmart... then you can see what 'stupid' looks like.. Now, I 'm not saying all people at Walmart are stupid, but I bet you will see SOMETHING that will make you feel better for sure!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    I start A8 tomorrow and finish 8B on Friday! Then I have decided to do the AMRAP next week. I am debating taking a week off, but since I do my workouts MWF I would be taking more like a week and a half. Maybe I will just take that Th-Su off?

What do you all think is best?

See how you feel. I am sooo anxious to get back, I wouldn't wait, but if you are feeling up for it and READY, then just go back Monday! My body seems quite able to tell me what I need (even if it is a doctor speaking for it!) If not, enjoy the week.. maybe get in an extra cardio class? Regardless, CONGRATS! I'm super jealous!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

There is a huge difference bet. the Smith machine & squat rack. You're better off in the squat rack, even if you can't carry as much weight. The olympic bar alone weighs 45 lb. (I have no idea how much the Smith bar weighs), but you definitely have to work harder when there's no machine to balance it for you. So if you were able to do workout A3 with the bar plus 20 lb. (assuming 10 lb. on each side), then you were squatting 65 lb., which I think is pretty awesome, especially for your 3rd Workout A! :)

THIS^ and totally agree! (Smith bar doesn't really count for weight as best as I can tell)..
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Great start... My cousin just posted this on facebook.... if you want to feel better about yourself.. Go to Walmart... then you can see what 'stupid' looks like.. Now, I 'm not saying all people at Walmart are stupid, but I bet you will see SOMETHING that will make you feel better for sure!

I wish I could! I'm stuck in Germany right now though, so no Walmart, unfortunately. :(
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    One quick question - are you guys adding weight with each workout or do you add weight like each "week"

I'd just go up as needed. Make that last two reps super hard- but doable. If you know they're going to be easy, go up!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    I just finished Week 1 of Phase 1 and I'm super excited about this program.

Week 2 starts tomorrow!

Sometimes I can go up, sometimes I go back. My GOAL is to go up, but some days I just don't have it in me. AND honestly, it depends on what you are lifting. For example for lunges, to go up from 40 pounds for me (20 per hand), I'd have to go up to 50. That is a HUGE jump and I couldn't do it. So, I did a few more reps above and beyond when I wasn't 'done'...
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Ah okay, thanks! That would explain why my legs were shaking on the 10th 11th and 12th rep of the second set! I didn't know the bar weighed 45 pounds! :)
  • justjen0117
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I just finished workout 1A last night and I'm feeling it pretty much everywhere. I'm doing this at home since I have a nice women's weight oly bar and rubber plates.

Question: I found that the substitution for the wide lateral pull down was a bit awkward for me. This may have been the case since I was using an 18 lb training bar. Next time I'll use dumbells. Anyone have better luck with them?
  • amgilman87
    amgilman87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Is a smith machine just the bars that are in one position or can smith machines also be the ones that you can move forward with as well? I don't know what machine I am using I guess. And want to make sure I am not using a smith machine since many people seem to say their no good. Hope what I wrote makes sense, hard to explain the machine I have at my gym. But it seems different from the pics I see online of a smith machine. Thanks! :)
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    So I finished my last Stage 1 A workout today. I'm pretty happy with my progress though I'm not lifting near as heavy as some of you. Here are my stats.

Squats (goblet) - 20 lbs > lowered to 15 to improve form > finished at 30 lbs
    Pushups - 45% angle > 4 on the floor (arms way wide, but on the floor) and 4 at 30% angle
    Seated row - 40 lbs (started too light) > 120lbs!
    Step ups - 15 lb DB x 2 on aerobic bench w/2 risers > 25 lb DBs x 2 on aerobic bench w/4 risers ( These are so hard)
    Prone jack knives - 8 wobbly > 18 steady

Looking forward to finishing up 8B on Thursday. Will take new measurements on Friday.

I'll be out of town next week so I'm using that as my rest week and skipping the AMRP, though I have to admit to being curious.

While I don't post a lot here, I do lurk often and you are all very inspiring and encouraging. So thank you for helping me on my journey!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Amgil - the smith machines have a "track", you can push the bar forward or backward (tipping it) but it just causes it to "lock" or catch in position. If it has a track for the bar, it's a smith machine. If you can freely move your bar, you're in the good rack! :)

Awesome Lori! Man, I'm excited for you to finish.

I don't think I'm going to be able to stay in Stage 1 like I wanted. I'm just so afraid of silly fancy lifts, but I'm going to trust the program! I'll just do 10 of each instead of 8. That will be extra long, but not TOO extra long. LOL

Today I did..
    7A!

And cleaned the -eff- up. SQUATS be gettin' done. God, I love them. What do I love more, squats or deads? I just don't know. Going up again next week.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    7B today

Dead lift 100lbs
    dumbell shoulder press - 20 lbs dumbells
    wide lat pull down - 90 lbs
    lunge - 20lbs dumbells
    swiss ball crunch - 25 lb weight on chest.

Getting so close to the end!!!
    only 8A.B and Amraps to go.. then on to stage 2!!