Running in Cold Weather

Replies

• horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    My biggest thing is running in the dark. I get home from work and it's dark out and I don't like to go out then. I can layer for cold and not a problem. I want to try this program but the lack of light is an issue for me. Any suggestions? What is everyone else doing?

I have the same problem, and I already DO run in the morning! It's still light out now, but I know by the end of the month it will be pitch dark when I wake up, and I don't get home until after 6 pm, when, of course, it is already dark.

I'm not sure what to do either. I guess I'll have to modify my route so I stick to well-lit streets where it's safer, but I really don't like running on high-traffic roads and breathing in all that exhaust! Guess there aren't many other options though. :(
  • BFarnsworth
    BFarnsworth Posts: 210 Member
    For running in the dark you can always get an led head lamp. Like the ones used sometimes by mechanics. Pretty powerful. Also some reflective gear so others can see you.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Some good suggestions here! Looks like winter is arriving right on time here in the south. Yesterday was beautiful and 70°, tomorrow it will be 40° with 30 mph winds. Don't know if I'll get my W5D2 run in today with the storm passing through. I do my day 3 run every Saturday morning and the forecast is 25° that morning with 20 mph winds. That's not typical Atlanta weather!
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    I feel like its just too cold to run outdoors. I live in Canada and right now it is -25c or -13F. I detest treadmill running, so right now I'm focusing on strength training.

Is there a point for any of you when it's just too cold?
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    I havent hit to cold yet!! mind you its only january 1st im sure it will get colder lol
    and I will bundle up more lol
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member

I moved from the northern US down here to the south 13 years ago so I no longer tolerate the cold too well. Probably anything below 20°F will keep me inside. Once I feel my nose hairs freeze, that's it!
  • iamchristyl
    iamchristyl Posts: 26 Member
    I also had to break down and buy a gym membership. I have asthma, so it's too dangerous to try and run when it's this cold (I also live in Canada, so...). I love the idea of putting the grips over your runners though, I use them even on my hiking boots when it gets really icy and I bought them at the dollar store!
  • I will look into the Yaktrack Pro treads too but am thinking but we will be joining a gym for the winter months to keep up our running program etc. My partner has asthma and he finds the cold weather makes his breathing very difficult when running, so outside isn't ideal for him.

if he gets a face mask it might help. i have an issue walking outside when it gets super cold so i know how it is with the asthma
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    I feel like its just too cold to run outdoors. I live in Canada and right now it is -25c or -13F. I detest treadmill running, so right now I'm focusing on strength training.

Yup, just hit that point today. Did 6.3 km at -17C (feels like -23C)... in Montreal visiting family. By the end of my run, my fingers were stiff and super painful, even though I was wearing two pairs of gloves, and my iPod refused to work. If my iPod gives up, so do I!
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    The temperature at which time I decide to hit the treadmill continues to increase as I get older. Anything less than 20F and I am indoors. The coldest temperature I ever ran is was -9F. I had to run 1 mile loops near my house to stop for water breaks as my water bottle froze very quickly when I tried to run with it.
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    When it gets cold, I usually run on my treadmill. I have a high tolerance for boredom, I guess. :smile:
    I also listen to books or watch a video, so that helps.

There is a race series in Michigan that I did in 2009/2010. First Saturday of each month Dec-Mar. February was 10F with blizzard conditions. There are series points just for finishing. I wore a balaclava, sunglasses, tech shirt, jacket, gloves, tights, shorts, short Wright socks, and light running shoes. We didn't have much ice that day but what we had was rough and sticky.

I've used the Yaktrax for outside work in snow and ice. They worked very well in -30F. I wasn't running in them, so I can't comment there.
  • lilother
    lilother Posts: 6 Member
    For keeping your head warm, I love these: http://www.bondiband.com. I found them wandering around at an expo. They even have the beanie caps for your poneytail to pull through. They have a great & fun selection as well as the neck gators too. I have tons of them and they are wicking material and can be thrown into the washer.
  • spunkyjen7
    spunkyjen7 Posts: 22 Member
    I went walking last night - and it was 11degrees outside. I about died. My biggest issue was my thighs being so cold they were numb.

These are great ideas and solutions that I can use.

Thanks for the great info.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    I did a 10k on 1/1 & it was -9F out. It was my first sub-zero run & I ended up dressing just right for it! Here's what I wore:
    - base layer bottoms (kinda like thermals but made for winter sports - only $9 at Big Lots!)
    - wool hiking socks (Target)
    - compression running pants (Old Navy)
    - sports bra & compression tank (Old Navy)
    - mock turtleneck (UnderArmour)
    - compression running jacket (Old Navy)
    - a nice warm pullover hoodie (race swag)
    - the awesome sock monkey hat in my profile pic (I made it!)
    - thick wool mittens, which were actually too hot once I got going (made these too)

I also slipped a couple of those hand warmer packets into my shoes right on top of my toes. At first I didn't think they were really doing anything, then one shifted uncomfortably so I stopped at a water stop & tossed it in the trash. By the end of the race I had one cold foot & one warm one, so there ya go.

Overall it was enough to keep me from being too cold at race start, but not so much I was overheated while running.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    For keeping your head warm, I love these: http://www.bondiband.com. I found them wandering around at an expo. They even have the beanie caps for your poneytail to pull through. They have a great & fun selection as well as the neck gators too. I have tons of them and they are wicking material and can be thrown into the washer.
    Ditto on Bondiband! I have a few of their headbands. My favorite one says "I RUN SO I CAN DRINK"
  • I live in the country, so maybe this wouldn't work for you, but I have a yard light, so I just run around my circle drive. Tried the first day taking the dog on the gravel with me, BAD idea! Kind of like going to a haunted house, every noise I heard, I wondered what it was, and I never knew what was going to jump out at me! Maybe you could put rope lights outside around your house and run laps? Might work unless you have a lot of snow! Good luck!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    funny reading all this stuff about running in the cold. even on the coldest days here i would still run in shorts and a t-shirt. maybe at most a long sleeved t-shirt.

thats because the coldest it ever gets here overnight is 1 or 2 degrees celcius. so at the times i run (in the evenings) its still going to be around 9 or 10. none of this -1393431 degrees stuff here.

what about running in extreme heat. during the summer our MINIMUMS can be as high as 30 degrees celcius. now let me tell you, that is a killer.
  • i have to deal with trying to run from -20F up to 100+F
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    I am into week 3 of C to 5k. I have been doing it on the treadmill since it is winter in Alaska and I do not want to kill myself on the ice. I have a free APP i use at the gym. It let me know when to run or walk. I play music and let the app run in background of my phone.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Wow, that Alaska winter is not one I'd want to run in. LOL. Great job at getting to week 3!