Difference between Primal and Paleo

Options
uboom
uboom Posts: 69 Member
Ok is the big difference the view on dairy?

Replies

• demuralist
    demuralist Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Paleo is much stricter from what I have read. There is some difference on how lean the meat is, the amount and kind of carbs, etc. Really I think there is no tight definition of either, so it likely depends on whose book you are reading. For me, I like Mark's version of Primal in the sense that is is more flexible to real world situations.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing...and what makes either one of these different from the Atkins diet. Anybody know?

My thought on Atkins was when I did it for a year I think I was making way too many 'low carb' desserts. Lots of artificial sweetener, butter, cream, and sugar free candies that make one need to be alone, if you know what I mean! On Atkins I dropped about 20 lbs in the first month, then nothing for the whole year that I did it. That was a bummer! I'd love to know what's different in these if anyone knows.
  • uboom
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing...and what makes either one of these different from the Atkins diet. Anybody know?

My thought on Atkins was when I did it for a year I think I was making way too many 'low carb' desserts. Lots of artificial sweetener, butter, cream, and sugar free candies that make one need to be alone, if you know what I mean! On Atkins I dropped about 20 lbs in the first month, then nothing for the whole year that I did it. That was a bummer! I'd love to know what's different in these if anyone knows.

Yeah Atkins is all low carb. Some people think Paleo is low carb, but it really isn't. I follow Paleo, but I know a bunch do Primal and was wondering other than dairy, what is the difference.
  • uboom
    Options
    Thanks for those references.... Off to some reading
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/545380-difference-between-primal-and-paleo-diet/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/guest-post-robb-wolf-answers-your-paleo-diet-questions/

That should answer the question. ;)

Re: Atkins: it is solely a lo/no carb diet. It doesn't care about what you eat - only the lack of carbs. It doesn't care about the wholeness of foods, or whether it is organic or manufactured. While paleo/primal is a lower-carb approach, both are primarily concerned about the healthiness of what we eat - and the weight loss is just a great side effect.

Love the way you explained this. I tell people that Primal/Paleo isn't low-carb like Atkins. It's a no-grain/sugar/toxin lifestyle.
  • whopang
    whopang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very well said. I lost 50 on Atkins but because I ate so much LC processed food and artificial sweeteners I really believe that messed up my thyroid and caused all kinds of problems. I really think primal/paleo is not about carbs but nourishment so your body can be the healthiest...and by avoiding the least nutritious foods you naturally avoid foods that turn into sugar in your body (ie carbs).
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm trialling Primal and haven't looked closely at Paleo but believe that, along with 'sensible vices', Primal has a whole lifestyle approach rather than just the nutrition.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For me the difference is Paleo = no Dairy =)
  • KMAMinx13
    KMAMinx13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading some of these books as well to get some perspectives of the differences between Mark's Primal Blueprint and Paleo:

Neanderthin by Ray Audette
    Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes (He also wrote Good Calories Bad Calories)
    The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
    Life Without Bread by Christian B. Allan

I agree with other posters regarding Dr. Atkins and the Drs. Eades (Protein Power) low-carb approaches. These plans are based around just limiting carbs without taking into account the types of carbs. I believe that their intentions are/were good but they didn't go the distance in their research or practice. If you read the Eades more current writings, I believe that they are coming around to a more Paleo perspective and in time perhaps Dr. Atkins would have as well. The science just can be discounted.

When I ate low-carb, I lost weight but did not have the same healthfulness as with Primal/Paleo and low-carb was difficult because I still craved sweets. Low-carb is an on-going battle because sugars are still in the system even if only in a minimal way because you can still have them. I don't have those cravings when I adhere to the Primal or Paleo food plans because those sugars (grains, sugar) just aren't present. What I like about Mark's plan versus Paleo is the ability to incorporate dairy into the food plan.
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've read Loren Cordain, Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson. I'm not an expert but I think Paleo (Cordain, Wolf) is no dairy and lower fat meats. Primal includes butter, cheese, bacon, high fat meats, etc.
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, a lot of strict paleo people limit salt too.
  • melissa289
    Options
    I am new to this group and new to Paleo. I was brought to this lifestyle not by a book but a friend that has lost 200+ lbs and kept it off for 7 years so far. She lives a Paleo lifestyle. I keep hearing people say it is low carb and I don't get that and maybe it is the type of plan I am on. Basically no dairy/no wheat/ no processed junk and 40% carb/30% healthy fats/30% Protein... Is this different then the standard Paleo diet?
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to do induction-level Atkins with processed foods because of added sugar, wheat and starches in everything (in other words, lack of processed foods is a by-product rather than a specification of the diet). Many Atkins dieters also say that sweeteners or dairy stall their weight loss, and therefore end up on what's essentially a Paleo diet by another name. Of course, the plan is to give it up once the weight is lost, and slowly re-introduce grains and processed foods to a level that's tolerated without weight gain. THAT for me is the main difference- one is a lower carb weight loss diet which eliminates processed foods by accident, the other a healthier way of eating for life that incidentally happens to be lower carb.
  • oferell1964
    oferell1964 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The folks who wrote the cookbook "Paleo Comfort Food" say this about the diet: "It's a way of eating, it's not a historical re-enactment." I agree. I'm pretty strict on low carb, and no processed foods (not by accident, there's just TOO much crap in there)... but I DO have some dairy. Mostly raw goat milk (since I raise dairy goats this is a no-brainer) and a little butter. I know what my goats eat and I don't do anything to the milk but filter it. Even so, I don't drink a lot of it. A splash in the coffee or tea (again, it's not a historical re-enactment... ) usually does the trick.

But I don't think dairy works for everybody. I think you have to find what works for YOU and not worry so much if other people think you're wrong, or if it doesn't work for them.I know "paleo" people who eat a lot more carbs than I do... I think it's weird and I don't know how they get away with it and stay healthy... but I leave it go and just do what works for me.

I think what throws people off is saying either of way is a "diet." For me, it's not a "diet," it's a way of eating -- for the rest of my life. I'm not doing it to lose weight -- although that's been a pleasant side effect. I'm doing it to save my life (my triglycerides were in the "sit down before you have a stroke" range). So, I have to think of the new diet as a new way of eating and thinking about what I eat.
  • rstefanko
    rstefanko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am new to this group and new to Paleo. I was brought to this lifestyle not by a book but a friend that has lost 200+ lbs and kept it off for 7 years so far. She lives a Paleo lifestyle. I keep hearing people say it is low carb and I don't get that and maybe it is the type of plan I am on. Basically no dairy/no wheat/ no processed junk and 40% carb/30% healthy fats/30% Protein... Is this different then the standard Paleo diet?
    [/quote

I stick to a pretty strict diet and end up about 40/40/20 - carbs being 20. fruits and veg should be your only carb. Remember no legumes, and no natural sugars such as honey. If you are trying to lose weight fruit should be limited to one piece per day. You can track your ratios on MFP and see how it ends up, but you should be very low carb at the end of the day.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Dairy is mostly what I associate with the differences between primal and paleo. I follow paleo and I don't eat dairy, grains, additive sugar, or legumes. My percentages are 40% protein/40% fat/20% carbs, I crossfit 3 days a week and run 4 days a week and even at just 20% carbs I feel more energized during the week just from upping my protein.

I have never had issues with dairy, only gluten, at least that's what I realized after doing paleo and then trying to reintroduce different foods. I drank 3 glasses of milk every day until the age of 18 with no digestive issues. I mostly have eliminated dairy because I have no sense of moderation when eating things like cheese and butter. I switched to paleo mostly because I also have no sense of moderation of pastas and bread and used to binge a lot on these foods. I try to at least maintain the 80/20 approach most of the time if not completely strict. I can tell the difference if I have gluten even just in one meal and in moderation. It leaves me feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Right now I am shooting for three weeks straight of paleo, my only cheat being my whey protein on days that I don't get up to 150g of protein and need a little boost. Having no issues with dairy is my way of justifying that... even though I know it is an extremely processed product. So I try my hardest to get my protein from natural sources and supplement when I don't quite make it.
  • rdpollard
    rdpollard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Paleo for three months, allowing some dairy when it makes sense (goat cheese on salads, whipping cream on berries, etc). I've lost 30+ lbs so I think it's doing well for me. When I first started, I did a lot of research into the differences between Paleo and Primal. I'm finding out that the two ideals are basically converging, that even five years ago they were both very different. I'd suggest keeping to recent articles and publications for your comparisons. And don't be afraid to straddle the line if it works for you. :)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Paleo for three months, allowing some dairy when it makes sense (goat cheese on salads, whipping cream on berries, etc). I've lost 30+ lbs so I think it's doing well for me. When I first started, I did a lot of research into the differences between Paleo and Primal. I'm finding out that the two ideals are basically converging, that even five years ago they were both very different. I'd suggest keeping to recent articles and publications for your comparisons. And don't be afraid to straddle the line if it works for you. :)

Not afraid to straddle that line.. yep. :happy: Candida Control is a similar approach too.. so I guess really I'm straddling that line too. Not to mention Atkins and the Zone and Clean Eating are all not dissimilar either. At this point when asked, I just say I'm a "conscientious omnivore" lol.

It's working well for me too. I've even at this point cut out most all dairy except butter (cheese only very very rarely) and *all* sugar even honey.