Difference between Primal and Paleo

Options

Replies

• erbimages
    erbimages Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have upped my intake of water to almost a gallon a day (carry a reillable water jug with me) and eat 1/2 a sweet potatoe in am and the other half with my lunch. This has elimintated things slowing down.
    Jw how long have you tried going w/o yogurt. I, too, have had problems with keeping my system going. That's part of the reason we've gone paleo/primal. After being on for 2 weeks, my dh was disappointed because nothing was changing. I had cut out all dairy except butter and a little cheese on my eggs. Still haven't been able to give those up but planning on going full tilt this weekend for 30 days.

Anyway, by the end of week 3, my body changed, and things are moving well on their own. I had stopped taking probiotics and vitamins when we started this, but after reading more and more, started back on the probiotics this week, and planning on starting vitamin D as well.

Ever since adopting Primal/Paleo a year ago, my "system" has slowed WAY down... the only thing that has ever worked for producing regular daily "activity" is reintroducing grains. My assumption, for me, anyway, is that there is less waste b/c I'm finally eating foods my body can process and actually use. I go usually about 2-3x per week at the most. If I'm low carb (have been doing very low carb last two months) this is reduced to 1-2x per week. If I feel it's been too long, I'll do a shot of coconut oil, which pretty much cleans me out in 12 hours or so, but comes with some mild cramping.
  • blackwidowdancer82
    blackwidowdancer82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out "Living Paleo" for Dummies. : )
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Just read through this thread. I first read Robb Wolf's book and started trying out his advice, and then I read Mark Sisson's book and am adapting slightly to his advice (but keeping off the dairy and nightshades as it's really making an impact on my joint pain to do that).

The people who talked about needing to keep on eating yogurt posted awhile ago, but for anyone struggling with this now, I'd like to suggest you check into water kefir. We've been brewing our own now for months, and it's completely replaced our need for yogurt or dairy-based kefir.

I think I can manage dairy, if it's full-fat and raw, but I'm avoiding it for the time being -- my joints got really bad a month or two ago, and I've been motivated to be stricter about what I'm eating. It's hard these days even to be tempted to eat grains, no matter how good the baking bread smells in the store, when you hurt all the time! Even now, when the pain level is way down compared to what it used to be, I still am really motivated. I ate nightshades earlier in the week and ended up miserably crippled for a couple of days. I'm glad it only took a couple of days of no tomatoes-peppers-paprika-eggplant (been off potatoes for a couple of months so I don't even think about them) to get my function back.

Anyhow, just wanted to say that water kefir and kombucha are an incredible source of healing probiotics, and very easy to brew at home.
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    Primal doesn't "ok" all of the saturated fats strict Paleoers consume. Primal also takes on a more holistic approach, well beyond food, where as Paleo has a main focus on the way they eat.

Many that follow Primal are okay with full fat pastured dairy products. Most doing the Paleo thing don't eat any dairy, as it technically is not considered Paleo, specifically when you are new to eat this way (several months or so). I personally don't plan on adding it back to my diet.

This is what I understand it to be, but as always, do what your body tells you.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I've read Loren Cordain, Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson. I'm not an expert but I think Paleo (Cordain, Wolf) is no dairy and lower fat meats. Primal includes butter, cheese, bacon, high fat meats, etc.

Looking at this I guess I'm more primal than paleo even though I don't do dairy (except for butter).
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I am new to this group and new to Paleo. I was brought to this lifestyle not by a book but a friend that has lost 200+ lbs and kept it off for 7 years so far. She lives a Paleo lifestyle. I keep hearing people say it is low carb and I don't get that and maybe it is the type of plan I am on. Basically no dairy/no wheat/ no processed junk and 40% carb/30% healthy fats/30% Protein... Is this different then the standard Paleo diet?

I know this is a very old message, but after eating this way a little over a month and tweaking, I can say that 40% carb would be way too high for me. 20% carb (again, for me) works out to about 73 grams of carbs, which is right in Mark Sisson's 50-100g "sweet spot for losing weight". With only 30% fat I was still having cravings and getting hungry after a couple of hours. At 55% fat, I'm just about right. (And that leaves 25% for protein, which also seems to be just about right.)

Anyhow, 40% carb would be high enough to keep the cravings going, and keep my hunger level elevated through the day. It's so nice not to be hungry and to actually have to think about eating (because I'm still not hungry!) at the end of the day in order to meet my targets!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I am full blown Paleo. Gave away all Non-Paleo food from my house. Only on day two but a lot easier with no temptation in the house!!!!

I understand it to be no dairy, grain, or legumes and getting your items organic
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd post this recent video on the difference between Primal and Paleo. Seems that the two are coverging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wOnhJcWqhD8

and Blog post: http://paleomagazine.com/paleo-vs-primal
  • GrokRockStarWECHANGED
    Options
    I thought I'd post this recent video on the difference between Primal and Paleo. Seems that the two are coverging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wOnhJcWqhD8

and Blog post: http://paleomagazine.com/paleo-vs-primal

Thanks so much for sharing these links! This clears it up for me. I was always concerned about fats because without the animal and natural fats, I don't think I would be successful in eating this way. I have a lactose issue so I avoid most dairy except goat cheese and heavy cream, which does not have a negative effect. So it appears that I may not have to choose a side.
    I also like that these ways of eating have evolved because most "diets" do not.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am new to this group and new to Paleo. I was brought to this lifestyle not by a book but a friend that has lost 200+ lbs and kept it off for 7 years so far. She lives a Paleo lifestyle. I keep hearing people say it is low carb and I don't get that and maybe it is the type of plan I am on. Basically no dairy/no wheat/ no processed junk and 40% carb/30% healthy fats/30% Protein... Is this different then the standard Paleo diet?

I think it's Primal that ends up pretty low carb because you eat fattier foods.

Gotta love primal :)
    Not everyone is low carb but lower than SAD diets.
  • ofstarsandsquid
    ofstarsandsquid Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I enjoy the way things are described here:
    http://paleomagazine.com/paleo-vs-primal
  • angelnorgaard
    angelnorgaard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm more primal than paleo and strive for the 80/20 instead of 100% as previously stated its hard, and I don't want to feel guilty about having a dessert with my kids at birthdays or family get-together's.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    In recent years it seems that paleo and primal have more or less morphed into a very similar philosophy. Many in the Paleo community including Dianne San Fillippo, Liz Wolfe, Robb Wolf and Chris Kresser have advocated the benefits of grass-fed dairy for people who can tolerate it. If you do dairy, just please, source it from healthy animals :)

Atkins is NOT paleo. As others have stated, Paleo and Primal are not low carb diets by definition. Atkins is a diet filled with poorly sourced processed foods, sugar alcohol's and basic garbage.
  • superspacepuff
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing...and what makes either one of these different from the Atkins diet. Anybody know?

My thought on Atkins was when I did it for a year I think I was making way too many 'low carb' desserts. Lots of artificial sweetener, butter, cream, and sugar free candies that make one need to be alone, if you know what I mean! On Atkins I dropped about 20 lbs in the first month, then nothing for the whole year that I did it. That was a bummer! I'd love to know what's different in these if anyone knows.

Atkins is aimed for weight loss with no concern for GI healing or detoxing. Unless you are following the epileptic diet, a modified Atkins which does similar to paleo. Paleo an be looser on guidelines depending on what you are aiming to heal and how your body reacts. Some paleo does dairy some choose not to.
  • NezyRumRunner
    NezyRumRunner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i have learned so much from this group! thanks so much!
    trying to navigate through all the info can be a bit much..
  • snappy36
    snappy36 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been living almost PALEO for a year. I do find I am not hungry between meals. I have an occasional splurge but am able to get right back on track.
  • hafadaihoney
    hafadaihoney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I first learned about Paleo a year or so ago through http://www.nerdfitness.com (love that site!) :smiley: , and have been trying to stick to it. It gets difficult buying organic on a family budget (just had my 4th lil Love) & finding/making kid friendly meals after being so ignorant & letting them eat processed foods in the beginning of their lives. :\ I recently started reading Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint & have been learning so much on Mark's Daily Apple. I have "hereditary" hypertension, & have been taking meds since I was 26, so I am looking forward to getting healthy & no longer needing the medication. Thanks for all of the links & information you guys have shared! :smile:
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ever since adopting Primal/Paleo a year ago, my "system" has slowed WAY down... the only thing that has ever worked for producing regular daily "activity" is reintroducing grains. My assumption, for me, anyway, is that there is less waste b/c I'm finally eating foods my body can process and actually use. I go usually about 2-3x per week at the most. If I'm low carb (have been doing very low carb last two months) this is reduced to 1-2x per week. If I feel it's been too long, I'll do a shot of coconut oil, which pretty much cleans me out in 12 hours or so, but comes with some mild cramping.

I had a few issues at first (a change for me, as I have IBS-D, and my problem is usually going too often). I'm now doing well since adding more fat and more vegetables, especially leafy stuff.