Options
13»

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Are you against the death penalty too?
    I am.
    There's a huge difference between someone murdering someone in malice and assisted suicide. Not comparable.
    I'm of the mindset that ending someone's life, unless in self-defense, is wrong.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Are you against the death penalty too?
    I am.
    There's a huge difference between someone murdering someone in malice and assisted suicide. Not comparable.
    I'm of the mindset that ending someone's life, unless in self-defense, is wrong.

I'm glad you're at least consistent about the death penalty. Pisses me off to see people who contradict themselves.

As far as your second point: This is fine, but why should that mindset affect everybody is my point. Just because your faith dictates that you be against assisted suicide doesn't mean that said beliefs should be able to dictate public law.

I'd do the fancy quote thingy but do not know how LOL
  • macpatti
    Options
    As far as your second point: This is fine, but why should that mindset affect everybody is my point. Just because your faith dictates that you be against assisted suicide doesn't mean that said beliefs should be able to dictate public law.
    Why do you suppose it isn't legal everywhere?
    I received a private lesson from Brett!
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Why do you suppose it isn't legal everywhere?
    I received a private lesson from Brett!

I suppose it isn't legal everywhere because people of faith are interjecting their beliefs in to government law when it shouldn't be.

It's just sad we treat our pets more humanely than we often treat our fellow humans. I wouldn't ever want a loved one to suffer and slowly die a painful death just because humans are uncomfy with the idea of assisted suicide.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

Well, for people of faith, there is a huge difference between the life of an animal and that of a human being.
    Yet states that have more conservative people of faith have a higher death penalty rate of succession.(Virginia and Texas to name 2).

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I say the law should have guidelines on how to go about having assisted suicide and euthanasia (living will for example) and if a person doesn't want to, they don't have to.

Having seen my grandmother with dementia and having a close relative battling cancer, I am fully on board with assisted suicide.

Here's a question, a person is diagnosed with dementia, at what point is it ok for them to have assisted suicide? (if you believe in assisted suicide)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I say the law should have guidelines on how to go about having assisted suicide and euthanasia (living will for example) and if a person doesn't want to, they don't have to.

Having seen my grandmother with dementia and having a close relative battling cancer, I am fully on board with assisted suicide.

Here's a question, a person is diagnosed with dementia, at what point is it ok for them to have assisted suicide? (if you believe in assisted suicide)

That's a tough one. I can only speak for what I would want.

If I'm not "me" anymore I don't want to go on. I would have to hope my loved ones would make the best decision as I would no longer be in control of myself. Man I can't imagine much scarier than that. I certainly wouldn't want to suffer through it.

Unless I'm particularly enjoying my dementia. If I'm constantly laughing at whatever is going on in my addled brain please leave me to my madness.
  • kit_katty
    Options

If I'm not "me" anymore I don't want to go on. I would have to hope my loved ones would make the best decision as I would no longer be in control of myself. Man I can't imagine much scarier than that. I certainly wouldn't want to suffer through it.

Unless I'm particularly enjoying my dementia. If I'm constantly laughing at whatever is going on in my addled brain please leave me to my madness.

Lol, unfortunately my grandmother is not having a fun time of it, however she doesn't understand the indignities she's facing every day. I've naturally thought about this a fair amount and if I was diagnosed would consider committing suicide before I got anywhere near her stage. I was just curious about people's thoughts. It's just so hard on the person with dementia and those around them.

A good book (fictional) to read is Still Alice.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Lol, unfortunately my grandmother is not having a fun time of it, however she doesn't understand the indignities she's facing every day. I've naturally thought about this a fair amount and if I was diagnosed would consider committing suicide before I got anywhere near her stage. I was just curious about people's thoughts. It's just so hard on the person with dementia and those around them.

Dementia inherently implies reduced capacity. If there are any questions about the capacity to receive informed consent on a major, life saving procedure, then I must assume that there is no capacity present for an inherently life ending one. The question, then, is no longer about assisted suicide (which is sending someone home with a bunch of lethal drugs, for them to take on their own), rather, that is essentially non-voluntary euthanisia, as you cannot be sure they areeven aware that they are taking a lethal combination of drugs. Let's be honest, though. Immediately questions would arise about "elder cleansing," essentially reducing the number of expensive, difficult to support and manage, non-productive members of society, all in the name of "compassion."

As to suicide at the first signs of dementia, unfortunately, no one can promise how fast it will progress, there are several different typesof dementia with different natural histories and prognoses, and it is never clear how well they will respond (in terms of halting progress) to medication. Unless it is the very, very rapid and lethal form of early onset, hereditary alzheimers, I say it is difficult call against a potentially long, productive and healthy period before advanced dementia sets in.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options

Dementia inherently implies reduced capacity. If there are any questions about the capacity to receive informed consent on a major, life saving procedure, then I must assume that there is no capacity present for an inherently life ending one. The question, then, is no longer about assisted suicide (which is sending someone home with a bunch of lethal drugs, for them to take on their own), rather, that is essentially non-voluntary euthanisia, as you cannot be sure they areeven aware that they are taking a lethal combination of drugs. Let's be honest, though. Immediately questions would arise about "elder cleansing," essentially reducing the number of expensive, difficult to support and manage, non-productive members of society, all in the name of "compassion."

As to suicide at the first signs of dementia, unfortunately, no one can promise how fast it will progress, there are several different typesof dementia with different natural histories and prognoses, and it is never clear how well they will respond (in terms of halting progress) to medication. Unless it is the very, very rapid and lethal form of early onset, hereditary alzheimers, I say it is difficult call against a potentially long, productive and healthy period before advanced dementia sets in.

This I agree with. I don't support assisted suicide if the patient is not mentally stable enough to make this decision for themselves.
  • kit_katty
    Options

This I agree with. I don't support assisted suicide if the patient is not mentally stable enough to make this decision for themselves.

Well, I definitely agree with that as well, I guess my point is not euthanasia, but assisted suicide if it is consent is previously given, while deemed mentally fit.

I guess my other point is making the decision to end one's life before it gets to the point of not being able to make that decision, understand that decision. Dementia is a hard one and as stated above, a varied one. Some people do continue to respond to treatment and have happy productive lives for quite a while. But no current medication can stop or reverse the condition. Long before the end, the person is no longer the person. No memory, very little of the original personality. Unable to hold any sort of real conversation. No logic, no reasoning. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Obviously I would never make the decision for another person, but for myself, I don't want to end up that way.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Yet states that have more conservative people of faith have a higher death penalty rate of succession.(Virginia and Texas)
    True. I attribute this to people justifying the death penalty as "self defense of society". I do not buy into that (and I'm a Texan).