BJJ

Options
13»

Replies

• obidankenobi
    obidankenobi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm now comfortable saying I train BJJ. 4 months and counting :) I'm a tkd 1 dan, but needed something closer to home, that was fairly knee friendly. Absolutely loving it! Feel free to add me, I love hearing everybodies updates- makes me want to try harder (that's my competitive side coming out maybe?!)
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I'm now comfortable saying I train BJJ. 4 months and counting :) I'm a tkd 1 dan, but needed something closer to home, that was fairly knee friendly. Absolutely loving it! Feel free to add me, I love hearing everybodies updates- makes me want to try harder (that's my competitive side coming out maybe?!)

WooHoo, friend request sent!
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Been training in Goshindo Jujitsu about 3/4 months, so a very newbie in this but loving it!!!
    Been training in Shotokan Karate about 5/6years, grading for my 1st dan black belt very soon (shakes with nerves)!!!
    I also box ( when I have time)!!.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the "club." Good luck with the 1st dan test. Karate, boxing, jiujitsu - sounds like a pretty lethal combination :)
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Would like to have a go at fencing, but just don't have time!!
  • danaweiss580
    danaweiss580 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    victal wrote: »
    Fencing is supposed to be fantastic for martial arts training.
  • Dory_42
    Options

That's funny, because I use martial arts as training for fencing!
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I would argue fencing is a martial art and that while vastly different in techniques, appearance, etc., some training in one discipline will be complementary in some fashion to another. Just my $0.02
  • Dory_42
    Options
    I see now how it does fit as a martial art, but before I was exposed to other types I was convinced it wasn't one. It is very different but there are enough similarities to qualify. There is a vast number of complimentary aspects of training in fencing and a more traditional martial art, although I suppose bjj is not exactly the most traditional! I do occasional karate classes (I have no idea what kind of karate) as well.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All day!!!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    victal wrote: »

I find the modern sport of western fencing (which is a small part of fencing IMO) is useful for its development of distance and footwork. Essentially, if you can control the distance in a match you can generally win the match. From what I've seen, fencing footwork and reflexes will help you gain an advantage over a similarly skilled opponent while standing up in striking mode. It will not help you overcome a great skill differential. For example, if you're doing Muay Thai Len Chen (aka technical) sparring with a Lumpenee Champion or western boxing with an NCBA champion, you're still screwed. It helps, but not that much.

If you're training in something like Eskrima sparring with weapons, fencing will help, but it's situational (and hard to explain briefly). It may also take you a while to get to where you understand where you can use it and where you cannot.
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    BJJ practitioner here. :D
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you here, stang - personally I only dabble with BJJ, as my main focus is Taekwondo, though we do incorporate some BJJ basics into self defense.