X2 Recovery and Mobility Day 3

Options
KarenBorter
KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
I didn't do this workout today but I did preview it last week. DON'T SKIP IT. If you are confused about the foam roller and don't see the sense in having it in the program do this workout. You will quickly come to realize how good that foam roller works. You will find knots where you didn't even know you had knots. Keep your remote nearby and pause the DVD when you find those spots and stay on them add resistance with your legs and by lifting your butt off the floor.

The foam roller really really works.

I have to do Total Body and X2 Ab Ripper tonight ... deep cleaning at the dentist tomorrow and I won't want to do it then. Let's hear your thoughts on Recovery and Mobility which replaces X Stretch from Program 1

Replies

• ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I did not wake up this morning to do it, but I plan on it later. I don’t want to skip it, which I always did with Stretch X, but I am curious to see how it works. I have heard from a couple people not to skip it. I am having some lower back pain so I definitely want to use it on my back.

I am really craving running today but it is 10 degrees out and it will be dark by the time I get home from work.. will just have to wait for the weekend!
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    Yeah, this is a seriously good recovery day ... It starts out with some yoga moves to warm up but after that I think there is 20 minutes on the foam roller and you get great examples of how to use it with the other people working out with him. Remember, when you hit a spot that hurts PARK on that spot till it "releases" it's gonna HURT a lot.

I found areas in my triceps that were killing me when I did it the first time and my calves and IT Band are always tight. I think that the foam roller utilized in this workout is the best way to use the foam roller as opposed to the "warm ups" in the actual workout phase.
  • ecp2698
    Options
    Would you wear your HRM or not even bother?
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Karen, I agree that I don't feel much benefit to using the roller during the warmups. Elsewhere someone had mentioned that she would prefer to have a shorter warmup period and would prefer to use that time with some other excercise. That's something with which I would agree as well. Probably, like a lot of others here, my time is pretty limited so I'd rather focus on getting in the workout and not have an overly prolonged warmup. While I use the rollers as they describe, I'm not really feeling the benefit of it. The workouts, however, do provide some good challenges and I'm looking forward to continuing to do them.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    Would you wear your HRM or not even bother?

I'll wear an HRM during this workout ... I think I burned like 150 calories or so
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM and only burned about 60 calories. I used my roller, but I also did many of the exercises that Juan was doing without the roller. My husband was using the rumble roller that came with everything.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    I wore my HRM and only burned about 60 calories. I used my roller, but I also did many of the exercises that Juan was doing without the roller. My husband was using the rumble roller that came with everything.

Have you tried the rumble roller yet? how does it compare to a regular foam roller?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it yet. The roller that i have has ridges in it, not smooth. I'll try the rumble roller next week.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    Oh okay ... yeah I've seen those and was wondering how they differ from the smooth since they are essentially smooth but with ridges ....

curious to your feedback for the rumble roller.
  • Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I LOVED the foam roller!! I can't believe what a difference it made!!! It was amazing!!! So far I'm really enjoying all of the workouts, I think that everything is very different and it is a nice change and a nice new challenge!
  • CrimsonScotty
    CrimsonScotty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i didn't wear HRM for this one, never did for X Stretch either, seems pointless to me unless you were just curious about calorie burn, but i personally wouldn't log it since HR never gets up on these and it's not really a "workout". My legs and triceps must be rather knotty, because that crap hurt on certain areas, & i have the regular roller, i can't imagine what the rumble roller would've felt like!!
  • ecp2698
    Options
    I wore it, just out of curiousity, and logged it, just to be accountable that I did it! :)

Okay I love the foam roller, I cannot believe how such a seemingly simple tool can make such a difference! I have knots in my calves and triceps that I didn't realize were there, it killed! In a good way, though. I am definitely glad I did it, and it is a good one I can do at night after the kids go to bed, if I need to.

I watched some of total body, and I am a bit scared! I should be in bed resting up so I get up to get it done!
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    see? I told you you'd love the foam roller ... but ONLY in this workout. It makes sense. It doesn't in the warm ups. I am going to do this over the weekend.
  • ecp2698
    Options
    Yes, Karen, thank you for highly recommending doing this workout, otherwise I might have skipped it. I agree that it takes time and is silly for warm ups. I also like to get “warm” in a warm up too, get the blood pumping before the workout, so foam rolling doesn’t do that!
  • bmhatcher
    bmhatcher Posts: 105
    Options
    Today was my first time with Recovery & Mobility. I really enjoyed it!! I had no idea some of the muscles in my shoulders were so freaking tight!! It felt really good to work the knots out!! There were parts of my IT band that were REALLY painful when I started this. I might just start taking his idea of working on areas during the day or when I am watching TV....

When we did the second round of lunges and squats, I noticed a HUGE difference! Felt a lot looser! I chose to use a softball bat instead of my broom.. Perfect size!!!

So glad that Week One is in the books!!! I travel this next week so I will be doing a lot of the moves with bands and a towel. I will see what a difference it is...
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the foam roller on my upper body and arms at all. I end up working more on my legs.

Is it just me or does Kristi in the video drive anyone else nuts? She is so whiney I want to smack her and tell her to quit her complaining.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    I don't feel the foam roller on my upper body and arms at all. I end up working more on my legs.

Is it just me or does Kristi in the video drive anyone else nuts? She is so whiney I want to smack her and tell her to quit her complaining.

I will have to pay attention to that tonight. Oh wait, Kristi ... yes! The OTHER thing that bugs me is her HOODIE ... take that thing off!
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    I am REALLY looking forward to doing this tonight. I have arranged to do 1 errand at lunch so all I have to do is go to the grocery store tonight after work ... since this is a "rest" day I am not too stressed about getting home super late and "working out"
  • ecp2698
    Options
    I found that it killed on my triceps, and I did not even realize those muscles were sore! It affected my calf muscles most last week. Looking forward to doing it tonight after the kiddos are in bed. My hamstrings are sore right now.

Hm, can’t think of who you are talking about but I will check her out tonight!
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    I felt almost high after doing the foam rolling tonight. Felt so good. Today my triceps were okay but my calves and thighs killed. My upper body didn't bug me too much so I worked more on my legs. I feel a gazillion times better today. Yeah, I am going to have to use the foam roller every night after working out from now on I think. Good recovery dvd. I like it much better then X Stretch.