1st Trimester

Options

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I just joined this group now because I got my BFP this morning! This is #2 for us, and it was our second cycle TTC (with our son it was the second cycle as well). Our son is almost 20 months old, and my due date should be May 26th, when he will be 2yrs and 4 months old, minus one day :wink: My sister and I were two years apart, almost to the day, and I think it worked out well for us. Plus, my son's birthday is in January, which is the same month as my husband's, and my birthday is in May - so we each (hopefully) get a birthday month buddy!

I feel good so far, just HUNGRY!!! I had low blood sugar issues twice during this past week and had to scrounge around for snacks in my office because I was so shaky and uncomfortable, so I definitely need to make sure I am eating enough. I wasn't eating less than usual, but I guess my body is already trying to hunker down and get me to take in more calories. I am still working out as I was before (nothing insane), and I had a good Spinning class this morning, so that might have something to do with it, at least as far as explaining today's desire to eat everything in the fridge.

I just changed my MFP settings to maintain, which means I get to eat 1800 calories a day :tongue: Now I also need to focus on eating back most of my exercise calories, since I don't normally eat back anything close to all of them. I will be calling my doctor's office tomorrow to schedule my first prenatal visit and will ask them about my exercise plans, since I work out pretty hard, pretty often these days. (The first time around I was already pretty decently overweight and did not exercise at all, so I can't go by what they told me last time since we didn't talk about it.)

My first pregnancy was fairly easy; I only had food aversions (no morning sickness), and other than heartburn and my feet swelling in the third trimester (as well as the usual third-trimester discomfort), my only issue was weight gain (~55-60 pounds). The only issue I anticipate is that I am Rh negative, and my husband is Rh positive, so I have to get extra shots in case the baby is Rh positive. However, I had shots for it the first time around, so it's a known issue. It just needs to be handled appropriately for a second pregnancy because my son is Rh positive.

Otherwise I am a little psyched to be able to eat a bit more (just a bit!), and I am making sure to drink LOTS of water (as if I don't already)! I am also looking forward to the challenge of staying fit and healthy during pregnancy and after. I know the better I treat my body during pregnancy, the better it will help nourish my baby, and the better my body should be afterwards, so I need to create some sort of mantra to remind myself of this (especially as I contemplate ordering Chinese food for dinner tonight)!

Ok, so that's my long intro. I'm so glad to see there are other women in similar situations, and I hope we all have wonderful, smooth, healthy pregnancies!!!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    hello
    Nervously popping in. got my bfp today (cb digital said 2-3) so i reckon im about 4+ weeks. so still quite early. Very happy, nervous, scared, excited! its 5 months to the day of my silent miscarriage. so keeping everything crossed this time around.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine how hard that must have been (and probably still is), and I will keep you and everyone here in my prayers (sorry if you're not the praying kind) for healthy pregnancies, deliveries, and babies.:heart:
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My first time posting in the group... am a little nervous about making this public since I find myself constantly on edge about EVERYTHING, always thinking the worst. Which is so not like me. Must be the crazy hormones.

Anyway, I'm wondering how people have been coping with nausea. Mine seems to be cured by eating, but mostly by eating stuff that I would NEVER eat in" real life" (i.e. lots of carbs). Needless to say, I am really worried about gaining from this. I think I need to get all scientific about this, like charting how I feel on an hourly basis and keeping track of what & how much I need to eat in order to stave off the nausea. Has anyone done this? Is the nausea predictable?

On top of that, I feel so miserable and tired that exercise is pretty unappealing, and before this I was exercising big time every day! I'm usually the first one out the door! Argh... so frustrating! But I shouldn't be complaining ---I'm SUPER excited that I'm expecting!
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My first time posting in the group... am a little nervous about making this public since I find myself constantly on edge about EVERYTHING, always thinking the worst. Which is so not like me. Must be the crazy hormones.

Anyway, I'm wondering how people have been coping with nausea. Mine seems to be cured by eating, but mostly by eating stuff that I would NEVER eat in" real life" (i.e. lots of carbs). Needless to say, I am really worried about gaining from this. I think I need to get all scientific about this, like charting how I feel on an hourly basis and keeping track of what & how much I need to eat in order to stave off the nausea. Has anyone done this? Is the nausea predictable?

On top of that, I feel so miserable and tired that exercise is pretty unappealing, and before this I was exercising big time every day! I'm usually the first one out the door! Argh... so frustrating! But I shouldn't be complaining ---I'm SUPER excited that I'm expecting!

Welcome & Congrats!

I am just starting to get to the nausea this time around (my coworkers coffee & the office break room! yikes!) so I need to get all of my "nausea supplies" out this week, but here are my hints:

- Lemon Drops (the big ones covered in salt/sugar or whatever it is
    - Don't drink your water to fast
    - If you can't keep anything down do some cold cereal (you digest it pretty quick & at least it tastes the same coming back up)
    - Mint!! (Lotion, lipgloss, hard candy, anything)
    - Essential oils & a light scarf. With my first I used a light weight scarf (the accesory kind - not the weather kind) & put a few drops of (mint) essential oils in the scarf right below my face. If I get hit with an unpleasant smell, or a wave of nausea I pull the scarf up around my mouth and nose and try to take slow, deep breaths.
    - Mini Shock Tarts (Sweet tarts may work - but I think shock tarts scare the acids into retreating).

Has anyone tried the "Preggie Pops" @ Motherhood? I wonder if they are worth the drive to the mall.
  • RBXChas
    Options

Welcome & Congrats!

I am just starting to get to the nausea this time around (my coworkers coffee & the office break room! yikes!) so I need to get all of my "nausea supplies" out this week, but here are my hints:

- Lemon Drops (the big ones covered in salt/sugar or whatever it is
    - Don't drink your water to fast
    - If you can't keep anything down do some cold cereal (you digest it pretty quick & at least it tastes the same coming back up)
    - Mint!! (Lotion, lipgloss, hard candy, anything)
    - Essential oils & a light scarf. With my first I used a light weight scarf (the accesory kind - not the weather kind) & put a few drops of (mint) essential oils in the scarf right below my face. If I get hit with an unpleasant smell, or a wave of nausea I pull the scarf up around my mouth and nose and try to take slow, deep breaths.
    - Mini Shock Tarts (Sweet tarts may work - but I think shock tarts scare the acids into retreating).

Has anyone tried the "Preggie Pops" @ Motherhood? I wonder if they are worth the drive to the mall.

I have never heard of those, but I was friendly with a co-worker at my old job who had HORRIBLE morning sickness. She had to tell the higher-ups (and everyone else) right away that she was pregnant because she was so nauseous. It would have been impossible for her to hide her pregnancy, especially working with a bunch of women! She used to buy these really strong ginger snaps (they have them at my supermarket, they're in a dark brown bag) that are quite tasty, and she pretty much only ate those and saltines. Because that was all she was able to stomach, she didn't gain weight (in fact, I think she lost weight) during her first trimester, and then she was ok to start eating normal foods again and gain weight as appropriate.

So if you're not into eating much, but what you want to eat is carb-y, don't worry about it; just eat what makes you feel better. Obviously it is when you start eating it in huge quantities that it may become an issue.

Last time I was pregnant I had major food aversions and slight nausea, so I pretty much ate a bagel and cream cheese every morning then snacked on Wheat Thins all day long while eating regular not-so-healthy stuff for lunch and dinner. (Is it any wonder I gained as much weight as I did?) Yesterday and today I couldn't finish my coffee (yesterday's strong brew tasted like coffee grounds, and today's weaker brew tasted like crappy, weak coffee). I felt icky driving my son to preschool today, like I needed to brush my teeth. I had already had my protein shake for breakfast, but I was craving something carb-y, like a bagel. I am just going to try keeping healthier, "easy" foods around, like fruits, and I am going to see how Greek yogurt goes. I am also thinking that I may have to get going with my slow cooker to make some soups.

I also kept sugar-free mint gum on hand. Not only is it good for your teeth and breath, but it helps settle my stomach. I like Dentyne Pure with Mint Melon Accents (very tasty, and the melon taste is super subtle, not sickening, which is important, since I hate fake fruity tastes). The flavor stays fresh for a while (I get nauseated by old gum), and it contains xylitol, which is supposed to help oral health (especially important while you are pregnant).

Also, don't sweat the "making it public" thing. We all don't know each other in real life (at least I don't think we do), and frankly you're all the only ones to hear about my being pregnant other than my husband. I have anxiety issues and tend to expect the worst, but the chances of something bad happening are not high. The longer your pregnancy continues, the less likely it is that something bad will happen, biologically speaking. When we were TTC, I kept thinking about worst-case scenarios, but now that I got a positive test, I am actually pretty calm about it. I was very calm when I was pregnant with my son, too.
  • howdeelightful
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just found out I was pregnant for my 3rd time, and am a little concerned. We lost our second baby at 8 weeks, so I am extremely nervous about this one. I am only 4 weeks right now. I am due on my parents anniversary (May 23rd). I am officially considered overweight (possibly even obese), and have been working on cutting calories for a few months now. I have read a lot on here about only needing to consume enough calories to maintain during the first trimester. However, is it ok to keep at the calories I have been eating to lose since I am starting overweight? I lost weight during my first pregnancy (25 lbs), and the doctors had stated that was fine. However, I am starting at a lower number now as well. Also, what about exercise? Should I continue, or not? Thanks for any advice! I don't see my doctor until Oct 15th, and would like some sort of guidance before then! :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just found out I was pregnant for my 3rd time, and am a little concerned. We lost our second baby at 8 weeks, so I am extremely nervous about this one. I am only 4 weeks right now. I am due on my parents anniversary (May 23rd). I am officially considered overweight (possibly even obese), and have been working on cutting calories for a few months now. I have read a lot on here about only needing to consume enough calories to maintain during the first trimester. However, is it ok to keep at the calories I have been eating to lose since I am starting overweight? I lost weight during my first pregnancy (25 lbs), and the doctors had stated that was fine. However, I am starting at a lower number now as well. Also, what about exercise? Should I continue, or not? Thanks for any advice! I don't see my doctor until Oct 15th, and would like some sort of guidance before then! :)

As I'm sure you know (or you wouldn't be asking), losing weight during pregnancy is generally frowned upon. However, if you are overweight or, as you said, possibly even obese, you may be ok to lose or just maintain. I know it's hard when you won't see your doctor for a while, but can you talk to your OB nurse? Last time I had a designated OB nurse for whom I could leave messages, and she would call me back within a day - obviously if it were more urgent I wouldn't be leaving her a message! If you can't, then what I would do in the interim is set your MFP daily calorie goal to maintain and then see what your doctor says. That is what I am doing until my first prenatal appointment.
    I'm so sorry about your earlier miscarriage. I will keep you in my prayers, too, for smooth sailing!
  • AshtinNelson
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I just joined this group last week after I got the positive pregnancy test and had a great HCG level on my blood test. Unfortunately after my second blood draw didnt go so great, I ended up having a miscarriage Sunday afternoon. It is what they call a "chemical pregnancy" since it was to soon to ever get to see my little one on an U/S.

I went to the doctor today, once my HCG levels get back to a 0, he is going to start me on Clomid which will help regulate my cycles and hormones, which should help me with my next pregnancy.

I hope to be back on this board real soon!!! I wish everyone safe and healthy pregnancies! XO!:smile:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy!

I, too, was overweight when I got pregnant, and my doctor told me to switch over to maintenance calories for first trimester, +1/2 lb gain for second, and +1 for third. Unfortunately, I've gained quite a bit already, but it has slowed quite a bit in the second trimester. Unfortunately, weight gain is difficult to control especially when it comes to water weight gains.

Focus on eating at maintenance and eating good quality food with lots of nutrients. Try not to give into major cravings for junk foods, and try to stay active. Just do your best.
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hello
    Nervously popping in. got my bfp today (cb digital said 2-3) so i reckon im about 4+ weeks. so still quite early. Very happy, nervous, scared, excited! its 5 months to the day of my silent miscarriage. so keeping everything crossed this time around.

I'm so excited to see you here! Be sure to keep me updated!
  • cakesmooth
    Options
    Week 11 starts tomorrow! Also have my 2nd prenatal appt tomorrow. I am feeling pretty happy about this pregnancy since we bought a Doppler in week 9! It's so reassuring especially since I have lost two pregnancies. May all you mommas who have lost angels find comfort in something as well! I weigh much less then I did at this point with the last two pregnancies. Have gained 2 of the 3 pounds I lost since my bfp. :). My eating is atrocious but MFP is keeping me somewhat in line. My cals are at maintenance as well and I try not to eat all of my excercise cals back. I go over about half the time! ;b
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

Hi, this is my 3rd pregnancy too. Had a silent miscarriage at 12 weeks. Keeping everything crossed this time around. I was quite active when I was pg, running and Zumba. I am scaling back in the exercise for a bit this time around until I've got the all clear. Will be doing some of my jm workouts instead. Good luck and keeping everything crossed for you :)
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hooray! After what felt like eternities I'm glad to be in the 1st trimester once again! I am also due May 19th and I'm so excited (my first baby was a May 2011 baby! They'll be 2 years apart!!).

Right now I'm focusing on water-water-water! Moving (doing 1-2 miles a day)! And taking my prenatal each night!

I am not even going to call my OBGYN until we've missed at least 2 cycles. With it being my second pregnancy I feel much more relaxed about everything this time around :)

Last time I suffered from PSD (Pubic Symphsis Dysfunction), mild HE (Hyperemisis), and incredible heartburn. I'm hoping with everything I've got that I'm not plagued by those this time around.

We are in the same boat! My first one came may 5th, 2011 and I am due around May 18th according to my calculations! I hope you are not plagued this time around! I am hoping I will not become borderline preeclampsia again. Im not fretting either so I am waiting until October to see my obgyn as I am due for my yearly anyways! Looking forward to getting to know you as we take this journey at the same time for the same finish! :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Week 11 starts tomorrow! Also have my 2nd prenatal appt tomorrow. I am feeling pretty happy about this pregnancy since we bought a Doppler in week 9! It's so reassuring especially since I have lost two pregnancies. May all you mommas who have lost angels find comfort in something as well! I weigh much less then I did at this point with the last two pregnancies. Have gained 2 of the 3 pounds I lost since my bfp. :). My eating is atrocious but MFP is keeping me somewhat in line. My cals are at maintenance as well and I try not to eat all of my excercise cals back. I go over about half the time! ;b

Curious about the Doppler - I think it would be fun to use! Which one did you buy, and from where? I have read about these in the past, and it seems like some are terrible, and some are great.

Will try to msg you, too, in case you don't see this!

Thanks!
  • cakesmooth
    Options
    I use the Sonoline B fetal Doppler. Bought it for $35 on Craigslist. You can buy them on eBay too. I found the heartbeat the first time I tried which was 9 w 5 d. 12 weeks tomorrow!
  • Anyanka101
    Anyanka101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Beth, I have a 7 year old son and and currently just over 11 weeks pregnant :) Very pleased as have had quite a few miscarriages, but never past the 8 week stage so starting to feel very optimistic. I have already put on 8lb as I stopped exercising when I found out I was pregnant and I have been constantly hungry, so I have joined this lovely group for some inspiration and advise and to meet other ladies in similar situations and hopefully make some friends :)

Hope you are all feeling fab, looking forward to 'chatting' with some of you x
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Beth, I have a 7 year old son and and currently just over 11 weeks pregnant :) Very pleased as have had quite a few miscarriages, but never past the 8 week stage so starting to feel very optimistic. I have already put on 8lb as I stopped exercising when I found out I was pregnant and I have been constantly hungry, so I have joined this lovely group for some inspiration and advise and to meet other ladies in similar situations and hopefully make some friends :)

Hope you are all feeling fab, looking forward to 'chatting' with some of you x

Congratulations and welcome!
  • jules080670
    jules080670 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Jules. I had a bit of a shock on saturday when I took a test and found it to be positive! I am 42 years old, have 2 boys, 14 and 5 and certainly wasn't planning any more. I have sold or given away everything baby related!

I am taking each day as it comes as I am only 5 weeks and in a high risk miscarriage group.

I am shocked and scared but happy! Not sure my 14 year old will be the same!

Look forward to sharing this journey with you all

Jules x
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Jules. I had a bit of a shock on saturday when I took a test and found it to be positive! I am 42 years old, have 2 boys, 14 and 5 and certainly wasn't planning any more. I have sold or given away everything baby related!

I am taking each day as it comes as I am only 5 weeks and in a high risk miscarriage group.

I am shocked and scared but happy! Not sure my 14 year old will be the same!

Look forward to sharing this journey with you all

Jules x

Hi again!
  • prplrose33
    prplrose33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Beth. I just found out a week ago that I am expecting Baby #2. I have a 2 1/2 year old girl and couldn't be more excited (and scared) to give her a sibling.

I gained 36 pounds with my last kiddo and thanks to MFP I lost that and an extra 32 pounds. I plan on exercising more this time around and not eating for 2. :) I went a little overboard last time. So far I have just been tired and hungry. I'm trying to eat healthier, but those chocolate cravings win sometimes. :)