allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm BIKES !!!!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    blackcoffeeandcherrypie Posts: 486 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yfleenm61094.jpg

My lovely hybrid bike with huuuge basket, taking a picnic basket out for a lovely afternoon with friends.

It has custom north road handlebars (Raleigh) and ergonomic saddle, with puncture-resist tyres. I wanted a rear carrier for ages and then I got the biggest basket I could find. It has space for another basket on the front, so I can bring back all my weekly shopping on my bike if I want to.

Many people enjoy high tech on their bikes; for me it's about finding the perfect frame fit, and kitting it out with extras that make it comfortable, practical and reliable for my week time commute of 20 miles a day. A couple of months ago I decided to cycle to London Hyde Park and back and ended up doing 60 miles. I was tired by the time I got back, but my body was still completely comfortable. It takes me on so many adventures. I never lose that feeling of 'wow' when I get somewhere that I thought was too far away to cycle to.

I love my bike :-)
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Great bike and I enjoyed your story, Blackcoffeeandcherrypie :smile:
  • Archon2
    Options
    BTW, I also liked Zoom2's bikes, but it was the cat eyes that really caught my attention...damn! Alien cat!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    puo1q47gof8e.jpg
    My Felt Road bike. Nothing special, but I love it!
  • rvoodoo
    Options
    Here's my Roubaix. Got her exactly a year ago... she's seen 4000+ miles since then. I've lost nearly no weight so I'm doing something wrong!!

e3l1c9nox9rb.jpg
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    rvoodoo wrote: »
    Here's my Roubaix. Got her exactly a year ago... she's seen 4000+ miles since then. I've lost nearly no weight so I'm doing something wrong!!
    Eat less. Not to be smart about it but I had that exact same problem. Road lots of miles, and fast too, but no results. When I got really strict about what I ate, and NO CHEATING, the weight came off.
  • rvoodoo
    rvoodoo Posts: 5
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yeah... I've been tracking food precisely (scale and everything) for 4 months now (before that, my cals were in beer and I probably managed to cancel out a lot of the work I was doing). Almost completely killed the beer, etc. Average 1800-2200 calories a day. I ride my bike on the trainer 5 days a week, at least an hour at ~19mph.... Every other week maybe the wife and I will hit a restaurant and my intake that day with a couple of beers might hit 3000 calories.... Usually I've done a 1.5-2 hour ride that day that tracks at burning around 2200 calories, so you'd think that would be a wash eh? But the scale never agrees!
  • Archon2
    Options
    lpherman01 wrote: »
    Eat less. Not to be smart about it but I had that exact same problem. Road lots of miles, and fast too, but no results. When I got really strict about what I ate, and NO CHEATING, the weight came off.
    FWIW that is what did it for me too. For two years I would lose maybe 10-15 lbs from Spring->Fall and gain it back over the winter, just eating what I thought was right and biking every chance I had. Once I started with MFP last April and got a handle on the cals, and got control, and kept biking, I was able to drop 60lbs in less than a year.

• TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Here ya go. New Cannondale F29 Carbon 4, it is glorious! The Lefty is awesome!pmrimwcqkdwx.jpg
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    lpherman01 wrote: »
    Same here. Rode a lot for 3 years, year round, and managed to drop from a "really obese" 234 to a "still pretty fat" 200-205 in the first year. Stayed right there, no matter how much I rode, for another 2+ years until I got serious about it last July. I've lost about 35 lbs since then and I'm within 15 of my goal weight. Diet is the key.

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    zoom2 wrote: »
    Only downside of the bike is that I get awful toe overlap (short chick with big feet, ugh!). I had a little bit with my entry-level Redline Conquest (as seen in my profile pic), but it's much worse with the Seven...makes slow, tight turns in CX extra challenging.

I have this same problem with my Ridley. It was present, but very minor, with my original Fuji 'cross bike. With the Ridley X-Fire it's much worse, though still only at a level where it just startles me but doesn't really impinge upon my ability to turn or maneuver the bike. I wonder if this is just a common side effect of 'cross geometry? Taller frames and shorter wheelbase?
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    I wonder if this is just a common side effect of 'cross geometry? Taller frames and shorter wheelbase?

Yup. I have it slightly too.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Only downside of the bike is that I get awful toe overlap (short chick with big feet, ugh!). I had a little bit with my entry-level Redline Conquest (as seen in my profile pic), but it's much worse with the Seven...makes slow, tight turns in CX extra challenging.

I have this same problem with my Ridley. It was present, but very minor, with my original Fuji 'cross bike. With the Ridley X-Fire it's much worse, though still only at a level where it just startles me but doesn't really impinge upon my ability to turn or maneuver the bike. I wonder if this is just a common side effect of 'cross geometry? Taller frames and shorter wheelbase?

I get it on my road bike, too, but it's rarely ever an issue in that environment.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options

...snip...

Top and bottom of it is, It's impossible to out-train a bad diet. Eat Less, Eat Better, Log it and Stick to a plan. It'll happen.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    7A1E598C-2B9D-42BD-B6AE-1FA178DAE0F8.jpg

Added that to the collection recently.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Usually I've done a 1.5-2 hour ride that day that tracks at burning around 2200 calories, so you'd think that would be a wash eh? But the scale never agrees!
    I know this forum is to be pictures of bikes, and when I figure out how to post pictures, I will. But wanted to comment on this. I am 6'1" and 230 lbs. When I ride without my HRM, my Garmin gives me about 900 calories an hour. When I wear the HRM, it is usually around 550 on the trainer and 650 on the road. You might be figuring the calories high. If your not using a HRM, get one.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I've been tracking food precisely (scale and everything) for 4 months now (before that, my cals were in beer and I probably managed to cancel out a lot of the work I was doing). Almost completely killed the beer, etc. Average 1800-2200 calories a day. I ride my bike on the trainer 5 days a week, at least an hour at ~19mph.... Every other week maybe the wife and I will hit a restaurant and my intake that day with a couple of beers might hit 3000 calories.... Usually I've done a 1.5-2 hour ride that day that tracks at burning around 2200 calories, so you'd think that would be a wash eh? But the scale never agrees!

I do believe you are figuring your calorie burns too high. I have been riding for a long time and am lucky to burn 700 per hour on the road. I maintain a 21mph average.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    7A1E598C-2B9D-42BD-B6AE-1FA178DAE0F8.jpg

Added that to the collection recently.

Oooo. Very nice.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    bsexton3 wrote: »
    Usually I've done a 1.5-2 hour ride that day that tracks at burning around 2200 calories, so you'd think that would be a wash eh? But the scale never agrees!
    I know this forum is to be pictures of bikes, and when I figure out how to post pictures, I will. But wanted to comment on this. I am 6'1" and 230 lbs. When I ride without my HRM, my Garmin gives me about 900 calories an hour. When I wear the HRM, it is usually around 550 on the trainer and 650 on the road. You might be figuring the calories high. If your not using a HRM, get one.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I do believe you are figuring your calorie burns too high. I have been riding for a long time and am lucky to burn 700 per hour on the road. I maintain a 21mph average.

I use the empirical speed to power relationship published by Kurt Kinetics (virtual power or VP) to calculate calories based on work, using IpBike to record second-by-second stats. With a setting of 22% efficiency, an one hour ride on trainer at ~18.4 mph I'm burning around 850 Cal. I'm 174ish 5'8". On the road it's less due to constant stop and go, and the VP spikes to much. Be careful of HRM, it needs to be calibrated to the user. Tracking by power is as close as you can get (assuming the right efficiency; I haven't test mine so it's a shot in the dark but the deviations are not that drastic).

c9qozvyqemsk.jpg
    kgvl2l826fet.jpg