Sorry but have to ask... BM questions after going Low Carb.

Options
RonneyKay
RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
So I've been low carb now for about a week:) loving it, finding it fairly easy and everything.

But I am also noticing that I am constipated:( Is this normal? Its not uncomfortable or anything. Just wondering if my body is going through some weird stuff and is just regulated me out?

Any advice on this?? did this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Eat more greens! Load up on fresh salads made with spinach and other leafy lettuce and try almonds as a snack! The first time I went low carb I had that same issue, but I was not eating enough fiber rich greens. Your plate should be filled. I eat several cups at each meal. And the PLUS is they are vitamin rich!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Constipated is different than having full-thick stools that you can move.

Are you unable to empty your bowels at all? If so, that is constipated.

Full thick stools that you can move, but requiring more effort is not constipated by definition...

The other poster really nailed it on upping your greens, the darker the better.

Also, up your water intake... this will also help with the 'process'
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Lots of salads! I have had that problem in the past but I'm on Metformin now for PCOS so that helps get things moving right along.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can also try adding a probiotic. That will help digestion and keep thing "moving". :wink:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    hi,

adding protein to your diet should make things easier to flow out not more difficult.

Adding magnesium supplementation will help, as fiber binds and bloats. Focus on adding Magnesium to use as a natural and safe laxative. You can find it in any health food aisle as a liquid supplement.
  • lafrostjr
    lafrostjr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is very common. The first week constipation, next week might be very loose. Your body is adjusting to a much healthier food plan. By week three you will be normal.
  • Cracklinrose5
    Cracklinrose5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Taking magnesium supplement will help address the issue....or for more speedy relief use magnesium citrate found in a drug store or local grocery! Greens do not always work for everyone!
  • KemahSunshine
    Options
    I agree with everyone here so far... excellent advice... Best of luck!!!
  • daisysmamu
    daisysmamu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've had the opposite problem. I've had to cut back on my Miralax.
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was a bit constipated in the beginning, too. Now I eat upwards of 10 Tbsp of Chia seeds a day. Ton of fiber and literally cleans you out 3 times a day, lol.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Stop stop stop

First

Define constipated because I've seen people saying they are constipated just because they aren't going often.

Cobstipation is a blockage or back up that creates a heavy, uncomfortable or painful feeling in the gut.

You go less on keto because you aren't eating junk fillers that serve no other purpose than to create poop! You do not need to ever seek to specifically eat things just to create more poop.

I really think we need a constipation sticky in the launchpad for how often this comes up.

If you are actually and truly, by definition, constipated then I'm willing to bet it's due to low sodium. I.e. Dehydration.
    Keto is naturally diuretic and you lose a lot of sodium with the water you lose from glycogen being used up and from flushing out excess ketones. Low carb creates water/sodium loss even without keto levels. Low sodium causes very common symptoms like nausea, dizziness, lightheaded especially upon standing, dry skin and membranes, fatigue and CONSTIPATION.

On keto you need 3000-5000mg a day minimum. Every. Single. Day. Some people need even more than that.
    Low carbers generally can aim for the 3000-4000mg range of that scale.
    If you aren't getting that much every single day, you're sodium deficient and dehydrated no matter how much water you drink, your body cannot retain it. You need to be able to retain it.

But again, if you have no symptoms of discomfort, then you're probably not constipated. You just make less poop than before.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It appears the original constipated poster made her post back in 2012 and hasn't been here for quite some time but carry on. The conversation may help someone current.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Stop stop stop

I really think we need a constipation sticky in the launchpad for how often this comes up.

This! Seconded!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Stop stop stop

This! Seconded!

THIS too, bowel movements really is a LCHF thing... and we talk c r a p a lot here as questions comes up.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    It appears the original constipated poster made her post back in 2012 and hasn't been here for quite some time but carry on. The conversation may help someone current.

Nice catch!
    We really don't need old dead threads about this when it already comes up in current active members.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I still celebrate each time I produce a stool instead of my usual butt pee.

:D:D:D
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I need so much sodium, I've taken to sprinkling my salt with food.

:|
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Stop stop stop

This! Seconded!

Bwaahahahaa!

I want a constipation sticky, too. B)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No one ever read the Electrolytes sticky when it was there. Even if I titled it "POOP PROBLEMS CLICK HERE!!!" Or "POOP PARTY INSIDE!" they still would not read it.