Martial Arts Burn

Options
2»

Replies

• Six6xiS
    Six6xiS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking lately that the MFP application on my phone has been over estimating my calorie burn for exercise. It gave me 900 calories burned for 30 min of BJJ, and 60 min of Muay Thai. I think that might be a bit of an over calculation. With Muay Thai if I am not actively hitting the pads, I am holding the pads. I know this is not as much work as hitting, but still has a good bit of activity.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking lately that the MFP application on my phone has been over estimating my calorie burn for exercise. It gave me 900 calories burned for 30 min of BJJ, and 60 min of Muay Thai. I think that might be a bit of an over calculation. With Muay Thai if I am not actively hitting the pads, I am holding the pads. I know this is not as much work as hitting, but still has a good bit of activity.
    That does seem high. Unless you're sparring, most classes are not constant activity
    Try wearing a HRM to class, if you dare. Just how good are your blocks :-)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I can't wear a hrm at taekwondo, this site always gives me around 700 cals for an hour..but each class is different-sometimes we work harder than others, so I never consider them all calories that I can eat back. Instead of logging my whole class I have started deducting 15 mins to account for the time listening to the instructor/standing in drill lines/grabbing a drink of water, that way I feel it is a little more realistic.

I did wear a hrm to class once, and aside from the wristband getting in the way, and being a distraction, it was good enough to give me a rough estimate of calories burned and I made my own exercise list item for it. I also cut it by about 15 minutes for standing in line or standing still etc.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I keep up with hr while training at home with hubby, and then I estimate based on how hard I am working when I'm with a group.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    IMO...700 cals/hour is quite high, unless you are a big person. I've worn my HRM in class, even a very vigorous class (and we do gymnastics too) was around 300 cals. I am a smaller person though too....less weight to move around.

Each class can vary...I know when we test, that number is probably higher but our quarterly tests are 3 hours long and you are run into the ground.
  • Six6xiS
    Six6xiS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That does seem high. Unless you're sparring, most classes are not constant activity
    Try wearing a HRM to class, if you dare. Just how good are your blocks :-)

The structure is usually:

10 min rope
    10 min shadow boxing
    2 rounds @ 7 min(30 second rest between rounds)
    15 min hold for partner
    2 rounds @ 7 min(30 second rest between rounds)
    15 min hold for partner

The only time I am really resting is when I am holding for my partner, and as stated above I really do not consider that resting as I am catching his/her punches and circling with them. Either way I still think MFP over estimates. I have been staying in my competition weight range for both BJJ and Muay Thai using MFP as a guide, so it might not be doing too bad of a job.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My 2 hours of Muay Thai with HRM said 1050 and I'm 5ft 7 and i87 lbs..
    We also do partner drills, etc after about an hour of warm up/ training..
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I usually do about 3/4s of my time as one of the default martial arts workout on myfitnesspal. Of course if its a less intensive class, I'll clock more. But yeah I'd say clock about 35-45 mins per hour you train.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I usually record it as the default at about 1/4 to 1/2 of the time depending on perceived intensity. So for a 2h class I might record 30, 45, or 60 minutes. It's only a rough estimate, but isn't everything?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I once googled it & from there it came up with a site that gives you approx calories burned in different martial arts you're doing so that was how I log it here. Sorry I already forgot the site & the link.