Older RPGs

Options
124»

Replies

• Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    crono trigger...ahh memories. I have to say it. But I still live in hope for FFVII on the PS3....

LOVED Chrono Trigger. I was a big Final Fantasy Tactics fan, too.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    idk if many people consider it RPG but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was one of my best RPG experiences growing up. Parasite Eve as well...amazing game and groundbreaking for its time.

oh man i cant believe i didnt think of those earlier i loved both of those games. i never did finish parasite eve, well i did but the game always froze after i killed the last boss.

Dude that sucks. If you couldnt save after you beat the boss, you missed out on the New Game+ and Chrysler Building :(

I think Chrono Trigger and FFVII are universal favorites on the board and rightfully so. Both games had the whole package...intriguing gameplay, unforgettable storylines, and haunting music scores. I'll never forget arriving in 600 AD and hearing the overworld map music for the first time. I let it loop for like 5 mins LOL.

The HARDEST RPG I've played is the first Dragon Age. Don't think I've ever died so much in any video game period. Still such a satisfying game if you can get through it.
  • james8008
    Options
    When you say "older RPG" I think of something older than SNES! I'm thinking before gameboy and console gaming. I'm thinking the first computer RPG's/adventure games. Sierra anyone? I still play those games on DOSbox sometimes. Comeon' I'm no that old, am I?
    I remember playing a ton of Sierra games, blue floppy disks.

I used to play the King's Quest games (Sierra games)

My favorites are

Dragon Warrior
    All the FInal Fantasy's (I bought final fantasy 1 when it first came out in the US on the NES back in 1990)
    Final Fantasy VII was my favorite of the series
    Kingdom Hearts
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i didnt really like kingdom hearts. i beat it but only because by the time i realized it wasnt getting any better i was already 30 hours in
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I have been having a major twitch today to pick up EQ again. Looked up the 4 or so expansions since I last played, looked up my old magelo profiles. Apparently it's been over 4 years since I last played.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    idk if many people consider it RPG but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was one of my best RPG experiences growing up. Parasite Eve as well...amazing game and groundbreaking for its time.

oh man i cant believe i didnt think of those earlier i loved both of those games. i never did finish parasite eve, well i did but the game always froze after i killed the last boss.

Dude that sucks. If you couldnt save after you beat the boss, you missed out on the New Game+ and Chrysler Building :(

I think Chrono Trigger and FFVII are universal favorites on the board and rightfully so. Both games had the whole package...intriguing gameplay, unforgettable storylines, and haunting music scores. I'll never forget arriving in 600 AD and hearing the overworld map music for the first time. I let it loop for like 5 mins LOL.

The HARDEST RPG I've played is the first Dragon Age. Don't think I've ever died so much in any video game period. Still such a satisfying game if you can get through it.

you should try Demon souls or Dark souls, you will die so much lol.

and how can you not like Kingdom Hearts adamtall? I thought it had a good story.
  • adamtall
    Options
    i dont know i just didnt like it, lots of people give me dirty looks when i say it but there was just something about it i didnt like
  • AmberXenon
    AmberXenon Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I remember playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Y's on the TurboGrafix 16 when I was 8. :) That's what got me started.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group, so no one has posted in this thread in a while, but my favorite RPG of all time was on Super Nintendo. I was probably 11 or 12 when I played it. It was Crono Trigger. I spent HOURS playing that game, and I will never forget how I felt when I finally beat it. I was so sad because I didn't want it to end LOL. After that would absolutely have to be FFVII on playstation. Cloud strife...*swoon*
  • radscorpion
    Options
    Although these are still fairly recent in comparison to a lot of games being said, they're 'old' by most peoples standards.. I love the Tales of series and also KOTOR 1 & 2. Those were actually the games that got me into RPGs - I was always an instant gratification kid so RPGs didn't appeal to me until I was old enough to appreciate them :).

Also, as you can tell by my username (maybe) haha, I'm obsessed with the Fallout series. Those games are where most of my hours are logged to be honest :P
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Both the "Quest for Glory" series and the "King's Quest" series will always have special places in my heart.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh my, anyone remember dark heart of uukrul? I was very young, so I probably just sucked at it, but it seems as really hard!
    And I think I'll get a ton of flack for this one, but I've always hated final fantasy and anything with that fighting style (shame on me, right)!
  • KingRoaVa
    KingRoaVa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would say Lunar 2 Eternal Blue(SegaCD). I really connected to all the characters. It was sad to see the end of the game.

http://youtu.be/-dtXc7Fj6uw
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    My favorite rpg is Secret of Mana.
    Oh and on a modern note and for Zelda fans. Try Darkssiders (you'll see what I mean) but even if you ain't. The story, gfx (as I the feel of the world), casting are all spot on.

Darksiders is so good. I love the voice acting on it too.

Another great game (although its not a rpg) is Limbo.
  • KingRoaVa
    KingRoaVa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh for your Baldur's Gate fans something is cooking on the official website.
  • adamtall
    Options
    Oh my, anyone remember dark heart of uukrul? I was very young, so I probably just sucked at it, but it seems as really hard!
    And I think I'll get a ton of flack for this one, but I've always hated final fantasy and anything with that fighting style (shame on me, right)!

to each thier own with the FF stuff :) i love them i know others that hate them

i havent heard of the dark heart of uukrul
  • adamtall
    Options
    I would say Lunar 2 Eternal Blue(SegaCD). I really connected to all the characters. It was sad to see the end of the game.

http://youtu.be/-dtXc7Fj6uw

i played the first lunar but never was able to get the second one :( what was the story like on it? did it follow any of the first>?