What's your ride

Options
Hi,
I just joined your group. Hi :flowerforyou:

Just thought I would see what everyone else's 2-wheeled love is and years riding. If i could figure out how to post pictures I would say post a pic up.

I currently am on an 2005 Kawi Ninja ZX10R, been riding since 2006 (yes it is a sport bike)

I noticed a lot of cruisers posting - any other sport riders?

(also I live in northern Canada so my bike has been parked since mid-October and won't be making an appearance for at least 3 more months) I'm suffering from PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) :sad:

And on the MFP theme I need to lose a few pounds as I have a very expensive set of race leathers that I would like to fit comfortably.

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm running around on a 1999 Ducati Monster 750 or a 1988 Honda Hawk 650GT.
    I noticed a lot of cruisers posting - any other sport riders?

While mine are technically standards/naked bikes, it's not unusual for me to have a knee on the pavement.

I've had a little bit of everything in the past:
    Bikes I've sold:
    1977 Honda CB550
    1981 Suzuki GS650E
    1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 100% beast this one...
    2000 Ducati SuperSport 900
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 600S
    2002 Suzuki GSXR-600

Currently needing restoration:

1978 Suzuki TS185
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Had many bikes in my life:

1970's -
    1972 Kawasaki 750 Mach IV - Fastest, scariest bike I ever owned
    1972 Honda 750 - Bored to 811, blueprinted and modified myself - Second fastest bike I ever owned
    1974 Norton 850 Commando

1980 thru 2000 -
    1982 Honda 750 - Had two of them. Chopped one; kept the second one original
    Had a Trike custom built - VW engine, springer front end. Everything on this trike was custom. Lost it in a divorce.

Current ride -
    1997 Yamaha Royal Star Cruiser (<<<<<<Pictured)

Had a few dirt bikes as well. Been riding since 1969.
  • Karlaki
    Karlaki Posts: 74
    Options
    I have a 2003 Fatboy. It's my first and so far my only bike.
  • alisonst76
    Options
    If I had the money I would love one of each style. Also I need to live somewhere warmer

dirtbikes are awesome :heart: so much fun
  • speednut
    Options
    2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    i started on dirt bikes and now find I'm just a little to old for dirt and sport bikes - but I love my cruiser. I have a 2006 805 Suzuki boulevard. We live in florida so ride all year. Our longest trip was across county on the southern route and then up to colorado and back home - 5000 miles. it was awesome.
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    If I had the money I would love one of each style. Also I need to live somewhere warmer

dirtbikes are awesome :heart: so much fun

No kidding! I'd ride everything at least once to see what it was like!

JM
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    Just found this group and thought I'd jump right in.

I've been riding about 5 years. Started with a 1982 Honda Hawk CB450T, graduated to a 1983 Honda Magna V45 and then last year hubby bought me a 2003 Dyna Defender - Police Edition.
    He's really into Harleys, I wasnt really sure I wanted one cuz the darn things just cost too much. But we bought this from a buddy of his and we got such a great deal on it. His buddy works for Harley Davidson (we are in Wisconsin), he's single and practically had a bike for every day of the week.
    He didn't really like the bike too much, it was a bit tall for him and he didnt ride it much so we took it off his hands. Got a Burly Slammer kit for it and dropped it down so that it was more suitable for me, I'm short :tongue:
    Also cut down and squared the barn-door windshield and she's a beauty!

I truly love it and cant wait to get on the road! We didnt get her slammed and roadworthy for my shortness until nearly October so I didnt have much riding time last year. Looking forward to nicer weather so we can get on the road again! Today it got up into the upper 40s. If I hadn't gotten home from work so late and there wasnt still snow on the driveway, we might have gone out... hopefully it stays warm enough to melt it and we can go for a lil spin over the weekend.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I ride a 2001 Ducati 750 ss. I love the bike & actually was on it today (we've had a pretty mild winter in southern Ontario, Canada). I'll probably ride it for the 2012 season but the new Ducati Streetfighter 848 keeps on calling my name!
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    Hi! Glad to have found this group! I'm a new rider (about a year now) after having been a good passenger for many years and was a member of the British Iron Association for a long time (my husband and I met at a club event). I am riding a 2003 Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom after having learned on a Virago 250.

I'm a shortie, and so far this has been the only bike that I like and can actually flat-foot! Recently tried out the new HD Superlow Sportie and loved it, but wished they'd put a little more bling on the heads! I love chrome!

I'm trying to convince my husband to upgrade his 08 Dyna Low Rider so I can have it!

11894292.png
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    Glad to be a part of this group also. That way I can talk about my bike and losing weight!

I have a 97 Yamaha Virago 1100. I have a pic of it in my profile. My husband has a 04 Harley Buell Firebolt (hence the nickname) and an 89 Honda Goldwing and some day I'd like to also get a Buell Blast. One of the reasons I am wanting to lose weight is so I can totally flat-foot my bike. I figure if my thighs weren't so large my legs wouldn't have to be spread so far apart. Like ruggedBear, I am short, 5 ft and so my choice of bikes is limited somewhat without crazy modifications at least.

Looking forward to sharing weight loss stories from the road. And you all know what I am talking about since most rides are to somewhere for lunch!
  • alisonst76
    Options
    To the last 2 posters you don't 'need' to be able to 'flat foot' on a bike to be able to ride it. You don't ride with your feet on the ground anyway. :wink:

Dan2k11 love the Duc's :heart: so sweet
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    Another +1 on the flat foot & Duc comments! I love the Ducs I've ridden!

The flat foot thing is a major hangup for new/learning riders. We got my wife a Hark 650 so she could firmly plant her 1 foot and ball the other. She's still learning and it's a confidence thing to KNOW you can get a foot on the ground should you need it.

Me? I don't care, I rode a KTM motard that I could only toe 1 side (I'm only 5'8"). It was awkward getting on and stopping because I had to shift so far to get a toe down. Once I was rolling it didn't matter.

JM
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    To the last 2 posters you don't 'need' to be able to 'flat foot' on a bike to be able to ride it. You don't ride with your feet on the ground anyway. :wink:

Dan2k11 love the Duc's :heart: so sweet

True you don't have to flat-foot to ride it but you sure as shootin' need to at least be able to touch the ground to stop it and I for one am much more comfortable being able to put both feet solidly on the ground when I have to stop. I have one road that I have to ride to just get out of my neighborhood that has at least a 45 degree angle upwards with the stop sign at the top and quite the camber on the right edge of the road. I usually roll through this stop sign if I can because with the incline and the camber I can barely get my feet down. I have dropped my bike at this sign once because I had to stop. I couldn't lift the bike back up because it was almost completely upside-down. (And yes, I know the proper technique to pick up my bike if I need to.) It wouldn't have taken much for me to push it a little and make it completely upside down like I used to do with my bicycle.

To the_journeyman, just think how much more confident she would have in her riding if she didn't have to concentrate on not falling over. Just because it isn't a big deal for you, you're a guy and most guys I know, riding a motorcycle seems to just be second nature to them. Women, not so much. Just saying.
  • alisonst76
    Options
    Sorry I completely disagree with that statement "women not so much"

Confidence is a mind set not a gender issue. If you need to have both feet down to be confident then great whatever works for you is what you should do. Everyone has their own thing - for everything. But it isn't gender related. I have to actually shift my bum right off the seat and I can only put 1 foot down I had to learn different strategies for dealing with different situations.

We are all different and that is good if we were all the same life would be really boring.

Plus we are all way cooler than everyone else cause we motorcycles.

Group Hug :flowerforyou:
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    For me, I like to be flat-footed on one or the other at all times because sure footing when stopped on a hill is critical! - maybe it's just me - but there's no way I can lean 650 lbs on one set of toes while trying to get going again without rolling backwards!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    FXST-C
    XR400R
    CR125R
    XL250S
    XT225
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    My ride is a 1982 Honda Goldwing.
    1100cc engine

Been riding for about 5 years now and love it.
    There is nothing like saddling up on the bike and going for a long ride on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.
    Especially if I have a beautiful wife riding with me.
    Best therapy in the world
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    1999 Suzuki GSXR 600. Totaled twice. Three times if you count the guy that totaled it before me. Still runs though.
  • danapellerin
    danapellerin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Midnight and a 1984 Kawasaki KZ700 that I'm restoring.