Calling all Bingers

Options
apesid
apesid Posts: 135 Member
Where are you at in your journey? How are you faring? Any problems? Any successes?

Replies

• SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm doing okay for now but I am in the midst of a huge trigger for me. I'm planning to go to Florida in a month to see my parents and siblings. My brother was diagnosed with Hairy Cell Leukemia in September. He was very sick and had chemo then. He has been having pain throughout his body since then but the cancer was gone. Last week he has been passing out so they took him to the hospital yesterday. He was admitted for testing. I hope I don't have to rearrange my trip to take him to his chemo. The last time he did chemo, I flew down to be able to sit with him during his chemo treatments and cook for him afterwards. Hopefully he won't need any more chemo yet. They kind of leukemia he has is chronic and lifelong. It will come back but they expected for there to be around a 5 yr cancer free period between treatments. He had his chemo in September and should be okay for now but he has been really sick since he had the chemo. I'm so worried and usually what I would do is graze and look for snacks when I have time to think. Today I am trying to work out instead when DS is not keeping me occupied so I don't eat.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm back and forth...the trend lately with me has been a couple binge-free days and then a day (or a couple days) where I have a binge. Saturday was ridiculous. I was at a baby shower and ate so much...and the food wasn't even that great, really. I think it was just there...and you know how showers can be (BORING!) and boredom is my biggest trigger. Yesterday was good, today I'm good. So I'm just trying to string some days together (more than 2 or 3 would be nice).

I have re-read "Breaking Free From Emotional Eating" and that seems to really help me for some reason. I think it's a good read.

I've also recently realized that the harder I struggle the more I eat, so I'm really trying to let go of the struggle and have faith that I can get better. That seems to help me as well.

I'm interested in hearing what helps others...anyone care to contribute? :smile:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    last binge was thursday... so i've made it a few days. i was really sick saturday, sunday and still don't feel right today so food actually hasn't appealed to me too much. i started giving in and letting myself have a lot of treats. i'm still tracking but not letting it get the best of me. if i want something i am trying to just have 1... it's been hard. i hope to make it a full week without one. even bought hard candy hoping that would help.
  • apesid
    Options
    I'd been having a hard time (i.e. daily binges) until I got sick on Thursday - and just started eating more normal yesterday. I did have a small binge yesterday but I got it under control before it went to far.

Safire - Good luck! exercise/ being distracted is a good way to avoid binges. Your brother will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Greeky- Thanks for the book tip! I'm looking for new reads. One thing that has been helping me is to make sure that I track (and log) what I'm eating. It makes me more conscious of what I'm doing - and makes me more likely to stop earlier.

MJ- Sounds like we had the same weekend! Is the hard candy helping? I hope you can make it a full week too!
  • MJ7910
    Options
    I'd been having a hard time (i.e. daily binges) until I got sick on Thursday - and just started eating more normal yesterday. I did have a small binge yesterday but I got it under control before it went to far.

Safire - Good luck! exercise/ being distracted is a good way to avoid binges. Your brother will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Greeky- Thanks for the book tip! I'm looking for new reads. One thing that has been helping me is to make sure that I track (and log) what I'm eating. It makes me more conscious of what I'm doing - and makes me more likely to stop earlier.

MJ- Sounds like we had the same weekend! Is the hard candy helping? I hope you can make it a full week too!

i had some of the candy today and managed to only have 1 cookie even though i wanted to binge on them. also i have upped my calories so i think that helps me feel less deprived.

great work on correcting it before it went too far. what was helpful for you to correct it? did you say somethign to yourself or what made you stop?
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I have been working out and keeping busy today. I keep getting up to look for stuff but have been sticking with just one thing and walking away. Had a few snacks but stayed on plan.
  • MJ7910
    Options

I have been working out and keeping busy today. I keep getting up to look for stuff but have been sticking with just one thing and walking away. Had a few snacks but stayed on plan.

i love that idea. sticking with one thing! i think that's where i start to go wrong. if i just stop with the one thing i could much more easily stay on track.
  • apesid
    Options

great work on correcting it before it went too far. what was helpful for you to correct it? did you say somethign to yourself or what made you stop?

The main thing that has been helping is me being conscious while I'm in a binge - and tracking what I'm eating as I'm eating it. Normally, I get in this "haze" where I'm just shoving food in my mouth and at the end I truly have no idea how much I actually ate. The tracking is making me more aware I guess. It doesn't make me not want to binge - but it has helped to make the binge not as bad. Baby steps, right?
  • greekygirl
    Options
    That's what I need to do when I feel myself in binge mode - log my food either BEFORE or as I'm eating it....not AFTER like I usually do! When I log it after, it's too late, the damage is done! Logging before or as I'm eating it should make me more conscious of how much I'm eating.

I haven't had a binge since Saturday and I'm feeling really good about it! Three days isn't much, I know, but when you've been bingeing daily like I had been it's a big deal!

I hope everyone is doing well today. :smile:
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I've been binge free for about 3 days now..learning to work through my stress with proper meditation and exercise..talking to family/friends. So far, its helping. :bigsmile:
  • sarah2005
    sarah2005 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    uhg....I was doing sooo good until.....Monday and then somehow it all went down hill and I just feel AWFUL today. Sorry, I don't have much encouragement. Tomorrow I WILL be back to logging. If I don't log I Binge.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group after a few hard days over the past couple of weeks. I've been fairly binge free for the past 6 months but since the first of the year things hit pretty hard. I am making progress with respect to how I feel about my weight and how strong my body is and I am not always tied to the scale like I used to be. I am weighing myself twice a week, which is really hard, but I think my obsession with my weight was greatly impacting my desire/inclination to binge. I am up a little since the beginning of the week, but Valentine's Day was out of control for me. But exercise has really helped me keep bingeing at bay. Slowly but surely.
    It's weird, a lot of people say, "You didn't become an emotional eater overnight," but in a way I did. So this is a very hard journey for me.
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Been pretty down here.

Binged late last night. Never was a late night binger until about two-three months ago. Now, instead of even trying to sleep, I eat until I just about pass out. I'll even eat in the pitch black dark so as not to even count or see what I am eating. I wake up feeling like I have a hangover and absolutely no motivation. Logging used to help. But, now at night, I can pretend like it didn't happen.. If I log what I ate at 1am today, then I'm already over 600+ calories for the day.

What does one do about that?

Right now, I keep pressing the start over button because restricting will only make me binge during the day right alongside with this new late late night habit.

I really have to start looking at why night is my new trigger, why I started all this back up after having successfully lost 30 pounds. I wish someone could just slap the binge out of me or that I could just wash the binge right outta my hair.

Well, new day. New beginning. While writing this, I already drank 4 cups of water to counteract the salt pulsating through my veins and head. Hopefully the salt and sugar hangover headache will be gone before classes start up.

That's the end of my confession.
    Good luck everyone.
  • jenniferappleskye
    Options
    Just joined this group, it looks like a great place for support. My story is written on my profile, and I'd love to have some friends in similar situations, so feel free to send friend requests my way!

I started following the plan in the book 'Overcoming Binge Eating' on Saturday. (I'd recommend this book as a great self-help tool by the way - my doctor recommended it to me. There's lots of helpful information and advice in the first part, and the second part is a six-step plan. I find having structure is really helpful.) Since then I have had one very, very bad binge, and one day where I started to binge, but STOPPED myself and went to the gym to do some exercise instead. I'm very proud of myself for this and feel it's a big step forward. Since that day, I haven't binged. (I know it's only 2 days, but still!) I even went out for dinner with my friends and resisted eating afterwards. I'm feeling really positive today.

I totally get what people are saying about wishing they could just wash the binge out of their hair. It's a part of me I really want to get rid of and I sometimes ask myself why I don't just stop?! But of course it's not that easy!

Hope you are all having a happy and healthy day - remember to be kind to your body :)
  • apesid
    Options

I started following the plan in the book 'Overcoming Binge Eating' on Saturday. (I'd recommend this book as a great self-help tool by the way - my doctor recommended it to me. There's lots of helpful information and advice in the first part, and the second part is a six-step plan. I find having structure is really helpful.)

My copy is supposed to be here today! I'm glad to hear (another!) good review!
  • apesid
    Options
    Been pretty down here.

Binged late last night. Never was a late night binger until about two-three months ago. Now, instead of even trying to sleep, I eat until I just about pass out. I'll even eat in the pitch black dark so as not to even count or see what I am eating. I wake up feeling like I have a hangover and absolutely no motivation. Logging used to help. But, now at night, I can pretend like it didn't happen.. If I log what I ate at 1am today, then I'm already over 600+ calories for the day.

What does one do about that?

Lock the kitchen?

All kidding aside - I think you are already on the right track. Taking it one day at a time and not restricting. I think you need to figure out the WHY of the late night binge before you can change it. Good luck!
  • apesid
    Options
    I've been binge free for about 3 days now..learning to work through my stress with proper meditation and exercise..talking to family/friends. So far, its helping. :bigsmile:

YAY!! Good for you!
  • apesid
    Options
    uhg....I was doing sooo good until.....Monday and then somehow it all went down hill and I just feel AWFUL today. Sorry, I don't have much encouragement. Tomorrow I WILL be back to logging. If I don't log I Binge.

How's your logging today? Keep at it :)
  • apesid
    Options
    I just joined this group after a few hard days over the past couple of weeks. I've been fairly binge free for the past 6 months but since the first of the year things hit pretty hard. I am making progress with respect to how I feel about my weight and how strong my body is and I am not always tied to the scale like I used to be. I am weighing myself twice a week, which is really hard, but I think my obsession with my weight was greatly impacting my desire/inclination to binge. I am up a little since the beginning of the week, but Valentine's Day was out of control for me. But exercise has really helped me keep bingeing at bay. Slowly but surely.
    It's weird, a lot of people say, "You didn't become an emotional eater overnight," but in a way I did. So this is a very hard journey for me.

It's sounds like you've made awesome progress - I can't wait until I can say I've been binge free for a week even! Don't let Valentine's day get you down - we all mess up, it's in the starting over that really counts.
  • greekygirl
    Options
    I'm so glad to see all these posts!! I haven't had a binge since Saturday!!! This is huge for me to go through the work week without bingeing at work. I did go over my calories yesterday but I don't consider it a binge (it was only a few hundred calories and since I just lowered them again I think it's fine). I feel SOOO much better when I'm not bingeing and it sucks when I go back to it.

BED, or any eating disorder, in my opinion, is NOT easy to overcome and it won't happen overnight. Let's keep plugging away at it! Every day is a new day, a new opportunity to work on ourselves.

I'm so glad you all are here!!!!!:smile: