Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers, you sound like me. I always forget something!

Beeps, I'd like to hear about your routine with bands. I'm so ignorant about resistance training in general that I don't even know what I'd do if I had to use bands instead of lifting.

I took a break for about a month from lifting. Running is going better than expected so I'm planning on a half marathon next month. (My longest run was 9 miles last Wednesday - half is 11.21). I still think I can manage lifting on Mondays and Fridays, so that's the plan. I've lost some strength (is that how to say it?), but nothing unmanageable. I didn't follow the plan to the letter, but the gym was super busy with a bunch of bros and I just wanted to get out of there.

Last night:

10 minutes on the stair climber
    20 minutes on the arc trainer
    DLs: 2x10 @ 100 lbs
    Squats: 3x8 @ 95 lbs
    Chin/Dips: 2x12 @ 115 each direction (so four sets total)
    push ups: 3x10
    planks: 1 x 65 sec
    1 x 35 sec :(

I really need to be doing push ups and planks and other core stuff at home every day. I don't know why I don't.

Shout out to Scott the Trainer, who always helps me with my form and spots bench presses sometimes. I should actually make an appointment with him and pay for it. I think I will do that soon. He also works the desk and insists that he'd rather be in the weight room helping people while he's on the clock rather than sitting behind a desk, but he should be getting paid extra for the help he's giving me... so I'm going to sign up for some sessions. He's never heard of NROLFW but he's pretty pro-weight without telling me not to run. I think we mesh pretty well. I'll let you all know how its going.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Janiep81 - Good luck with the half. I've got a 10k coming up this weekend but plan to train next spring/summer for a half marathon as well. I keep meaning to do core and planks at home but internet grabs my attention and cat wants to nap on my lap and such. Always something.

Went to coworker's gym this morning, the chain one I might join. Three days in a row lifting wasn't too bad but needed a little more oomph/fuel before instead of after lifting. Bench press was weak but other lifts went fine.

21 - upper power

bench 1x3, 2X2 @ 100 - 95 felt heavy in warm up so didn't try 105 and good thing, had to rack on low spot on third rep attempts twice. Need a de-load it seems.
    db incline bench 4x10 @ 25 - easy since lowered the weight.
    bent row 4x10 @ 90 - fixed bar little less than last time so managed another rep per set.
    lat pull 1x5 @ 80 3 12 @ 70 - 80 was tad too heavy so dropped down to 70. Had to stand on seat to reach the bar at this gym.
    OHP 4x10 @ 75 - tad heavy by end but not bad, need to try 80 one of these days
    bar curl 3x12 @ 40 - eh
    skull crusher 3x10 @ bar + 10 - this ez curl bar was heavier than other one so just added 5's to it.

Was going to run as I posted in SL group but came home to dinner already made and it's getting dark, so I'll run tomorrow.
  • DawnEmbers
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not sure why I struggled typing except I was on my tablet for the initial SL post. I meant 4x5 on the bent rows, don't do 10 and certainly not at that weight. Same with OHP, goodness glaciers I struggled today. That was 4x4 according to my little notebook. Still decent and I might try 80 next time.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! You're all doing well!

Dawn-enjoy your 10k!
    Beeps-enjoy San Diego!
    Janie-I so get that feeling of leaving the Bros there. Hope you have a good time at the half!
    Jo-I wouldn't call that a break! Lol!
    Dou-we can only do what we can do. I'm stuggling a bit too, fitting it in and finding a good plan. Just do what you can :).

I did 6 weeks of that split and liked it. I'm Ina decent deficit right now so I'm backing off my lifting a bit, well that and I'm at t chiro 3x a week! Makes it tough to fit it all in! But im try to lift at least twice a week and focusing on compound lifts for now. I'll regroup when things quiet down and im eating more. ;)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Julie - sounds like a plan. Do what ya can but don't stress over cramming it all in each week.

Today was just 2 mile jog. I was scheduled to work at 5 but am going in at 2 instead so can get less done today than initially planned. Friday I go handle the registration for 10k. It's coming up fast and so slow all at the same time.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    Jamie, I will take a photo of the band workout that came with the bands...I don't actually use bands for too much if there are free weights. Just donkey kicks, fire hydrants, clam shells and hip abductions (one s after every set of free weights).
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I lifted before work today as I wanted to get lower power done with enough days before the 10k. Might not jog again until the race, so all is left is deciding if I'll do upper hypertrophy tomorrow or Saturday. I have tomorrow off from work to do dmv stuff (oh joy) and go register for the race. Lower lifts went well. Deadlift is just heavy. Only real grip issue is that my calluses hurt every time I do the lift but the main difficulty is getting the weight up. And unlike squat, my first rep is usually the worse out of each set, so 1 rep testing should be interesting.

Lower Power

squat 4x5 @ 170 - tad slow, more so by the end, but decent. Think 185 will be doable in max test.
    deadlift 3x3 @ 200 - struggled but got it done. Did 1 set of 5 reps sumo after at 165, still not sure on those.
    leg press 3x8 @ 230 - I wasn't going to increase but was lazy so just added 25's instead of the random math mess. Did okay on these so am pleased.
    leg curl 3x8 @ 70 - usual, okay.
    standing calf 4x10 @ 60 - eh, calves.

Hungry. I had a protein bar once I got home (having dairy today) and want to get pizza but it's a struggle to figure out where to get the little pizza from within my limited time frame. I have work soon. Freight day again then hope to work on writing once I get home. Fun day.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Went to the gym today after getting packet for 10k. This way, I just have work tomorrow and can sleep in since I probably won't sleep a whole lot Saturday night. Race is in the morning on Sunday. Find it interesting how beer and races are paired together often. There is going to be beer after the race but they even had some at the packet pick up location. I didn't have any today but after lifting I did go get pizza. mmm pizza. Lifting went decent, though didn't increase incline bench still. I also can't get my wireless headphones to work for some reason. They say connected but then nothing. Need to mess around with them and see if I can get them working again.

23 - upper hyper

incline bench press 4x10 @ 65 - managed though last rep was a little tough. I should probably try 70 again.
    db fly 4x10 @ 15 - fine here.
    seated row 4x8 @ 70 - feel heavy but manageable.
    one db row 4x9 @ 25 - easy enough.
    lateral raise 3x9 @ 12.5 - rough by the end.
    seated db curl 3x8 @ 20 - meh
    cable tri extension 1x8 30 on tricep pushdown spot, 4x8 @ 60 on cable crossover spot - Yeah, not sure why it's harder on the side of the cable thing but it was and I didn't like it, so I finally found an open spot in the middle instead.

Next week will be fun. After the rest from 10k, before vacation, I'm going to do some max testing. Not sure what day to do first and I'm thinking of doing bench in a rack, which I've never done before. Also, not sure on how long to rest between sets when working on increasing. Probably do 4 of them: squat, bench, deadlift and OHP/Rows with other exercises after for fun. Plus, plan on filming them on my phone at least so can show some family what I do at the gym. Should be interesting at least.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    10k day!

I started off a little too fast so ended up slowing down after a couple of miles but still managed to make my super goal even. Initial goal was under an hour and 15 minutes since my training runs were an hour and 12 minutes with the rough estimate of doing 12 minute miles. Super goal was to get it done in an hour. My finish time was 57:19. Quite pleased with the result and it was fun.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Well done Dawn! Congrats xxxxxxx
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Take a look at my logging streak! 1,400 baby!!

BOOM!

c0yeuurju2yo.png
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! :smile:

Twice mine lol

Awesome job Dawn!!

I'm currently about to throw something at our internet connection as it keeps dropping out and it's taking me twice as long to get anything done.

Oh well.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey all, so my semi rest week last week did not help me feel any better. Been tired, stressed and demotivated. This week I would struggle to get to the gym much with my shifts so I am also taking a break from lifting (heavy anyway). I have done one day of high reps, low weight and have my usual combat classes pencilled in. I am nursing a couple of injuries - strained thumb (ffs!) and my ankle tendonitis is playing up. My body is telling me to chill. Next week I'm only working 2 days and then I have 2 weeks off - so aiming to be back to normal by then :-)
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh, thumbs are one of those things we take for granted - I have broken both mine in previous years (ski racing of all things) so I do empathise with you! Even now, my grip is not great, despite loads of physio. So look after your thumb. Appreciate all it does for you, and get it properly better!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my lifting done, yesterday. Went to a group-max-strength class, today....and ended up mostly "doing my own thing" since they were mostly super-fast moves (kind of crossfit like) with bad form. No thank you.

BOOM!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    You broke both your thumbs Kimi? Ouch! That must have hurt!
    Jo, enjoy your week off and I hope you recover from all of your injuries quickly.
    I was squatting in the gym last week and once again feeling it in my lower back and trying to work out what I was doing wrong when a trainer spotted me and spent ages giving me tips and watching my form to make sure I was doing it right. It felt so much better afterwards! Normally i don't like people giving me tips in the gym because they usually don't know what they are talking about but this was fantastic. Apparently my problem was how I was holding the bar and this was making me lean too far forward and arch my back too much to correct the lean. Squats again tomorrow so hopefully I can get it right again without him there to help me.

I have also moved house in the last week so am finally not staying in a friends spare room and actually have my own space so I am loving it. But it did mean that lots of people came to stay for the weekend and I overindulged quite a lot on food and booze. Now to spend the next week trying to recover from it...
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks everyone who commented on my 10k.

Beeps - awesome streak you have going on there. Well done.

So, day 1 of 4 in my max testing before vacation. Today I did overhead press and pendlay rows, along with other stuff.

incline bench press 3x8@ 65 and 1x8 @ 70 - used as a warm up then decided to try 70 since 65 felt easy. I failed on 70 a bit ago, but managed the one set so was pleased with that.

ohp warm ups 65x3, 75x2 then 80 and 85 for 1 rep, 2 attempts at 90 but couldn't do it.

lat pull down 3x8 @ 80 - heavy but fine.

db shoulder press 3x8 @ 25 cause why not

pendlay rows warm up 95x3 then 115x2 and 125 for 1. Tried 135 just to see and close but not quite there.

bar bicep curl 3x8 @ 40 - eh

tricep extension 3x8 @ 70 - tad heavy but didn't have the thing all the way to the top and kind of liked having it closer to my height in comparison to how it is usually set up.

Not sure what I'll do on Thursday. Maybe squat though depends on what time I go and such. Have to get all of this done by Sunday as I leave Monday morning.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Glad you're all doing so well!

Beeps-that's a long streak! WTG! I was approaching a year, but missed a day while in Maui so it reset!!
    Dawn-great time on your 10k!
    Dou-yay! I have the same problem with my squat form...what did you change about the bar position?
    Jo-you're wise to listen to your body!
    Dna-love/hate relationship with Internet? I hear that! Hope you're doing well!

I haven't lifted since Thursday :(. Saw chiro Monday, and will go again today. We went camping in beautiful Sedona Fri-Sun, so there was a lot of activity involved with that. But life has gotten overly busy lately and even getting up earlier I still struggle to fit in my lifting. I'm hoping for 2x/week the next few weeks. In laws arrive Saturday for 2 weeks, and both dds will be evaluating them trying out for club volleyball which will mean even more running around than usual! I'm not quitting at all, just going toward a SL type approach until I can go more often.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...julie....you can always email the mfp IT crew, indicate the "one day" you missed, advise them of what your "true count" is and they will re-set your logging streak to where it should be.

I have used this two times in my 1,400 streak. One time, I think I was in the "365" mark and I went on a holiday to palm springs and missed one day log in and the second time....hmmmmm.....I kind of feel like I was in the "900" mark and I missed a log in when traveling, too.

Both times I asked for the logging calculator to reflect where it should be and both times they corrected it.

:)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I have been lifting everyday this week....and am sore....but just want to push through.

I have also created a 30-week "plan" for myself....which puts me in (my) peak condition as spring-rolls-into-summer 2016. I am excited about the "plan", but also a bit nervous....usually I only agree to 8-week or maybe 10-week "challenges". So, a 30-week "plan" is LONG.

But, weeks pass pretty darn quickly these days, too.....so, it is helping me to focus on LONG-TERM goals and release my reliance on "short-term" successes.

I guess we shall see how it all turns out!