What's the one Southern food you had to give up?

Options
The list is endless....but I had to give up Biscuits and Gravy. I use to make them at least 2 times a week. Once on the week-end for breakfast...and then 1 night a week for "breakfast for dinner". Now I treat myself 2 or 3 times a year...usually a holiday.

Replies

• ummmsorrybutno
    ummmsorrybutno Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet... There are plenty of times I have to tell the dh, "No dear we can't have fried chicken tonight because I only have 400 calories left for dinner"

He wants to start insanity soon so Im sure Ill be able to better answer soon :)
  • DimpleQueen
    Options
    Fried green tomatoes! Oh how I love them!
  • jar0317
    Options
    Fried Chicken! My favorite but I haven't eaten it in about a month and a half and I crave it all the time. But I just had to give it up!
  • Rkersen
    Rkersen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweets girl myself so I had to give up things like pecan pie, pound cake, and possum pie. That's at the top of my list. I have also been craving French fries something awful. But I found a recipe for baked fries made from baked butternut squash I'm about to try out, so maybe that will fix that issue.
  • ummmsorrybutno
    ummmsorrybutno Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Finally remembered something. sweet tea... I had to give up what use to be my biggest staple in life... oh how I miss it.

I wonder if I can find a good recipe for devap with splenda... which I'm sure is still terrible for me
  • nikki_5705
    Options
    Sweet Tea has been the biggest thing for. I LOVE LOVE my sweet tea. I also really really miss Fried Pork Chops :(
  • MissEmilie2011
    MissEmilie2011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fried everything! My dad fries almost anything. When I had to ask him to empty the oil and put away the flour, I thought he was going to have a melt down. (It's basically the only way he knows how to cook) Also, bacon and sausage because we raise hogs so that has been really tough especially during the winter. I mean everything tastes better with bacon! I still have it on special occasions.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I had to give up fried foods, and most desserts... not for my weight (okay, so it helps there too!), but because I'm allergic to wheat. BUT, I have discovered other ways.... not quite the same, but have learned to make baked "fried" chicken using potato starch rather than flour... not bad. Still working on biscuits....conquered apple pie over the holidays!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. I just have to make it or buy it gluten free and eat it in moderation. Usually on my cheat days I have it. My favorite is Fried Chicken. I cook it myself so I control what I put in it. I make sure to cook skinless chicken breast in cannola oil. Mashed potatos, and fried okra finish it off. Or mac and cheese and fried okra. Thus the reason I eat it in moderation, and ONLY on my cheat day.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I pretty much had to give up cobblers. But I am finding new desserts that are better for me and taste almost as good. Sweet tea was the hardest for me until I found ZSweet. Now I can have it, just still have it in moderation.
  • Jelio13
    Jelio13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fried Steak smothered in gravy! I recently went to a family get together, that's what everyone ordered so I

ordered a plain baked potato and added my special butter, sour cream and cheese it was delish!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Dumplings! I still make them for my husband, though! :flowerforyou:
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Fried pork chops with tomato gravy and rice with mason jar of sweet tea :( I think the sweet tea was the hardest to let go though.
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    Sweet Tea. Haven't had it in 2 years.

Yes, I wonder how I'm still breathing too.
  • ThatMcChick
    Options
    Buttermilk fried catfish and pecan pie. Both were my favorites and I had to wave goodbye to both of them. The worse part of giving those two up was that I had finally found a great restaurant that made both items perfectly every time.
  • Mikaboo82
    Mikaboo82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    CORNBREAD!!!!!!!!!! I love any kind of bread or pasta..those are my weaknesses!
  • Coltz84
    Coltz84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Homemade Catfish (that we catch in our home), homemade hushpuppies and home fries out by the lake/back yard. Family gatherings are BIG in our family so when I have passed them up about 2x every week this month they knew i was on a path to losing weight.

Oh and, cornbread!!!! we use to have it atleast 6 nights out of the week so that HUGE change not just for me but my also the entire family!!!!
  • music_bird
    Options
    I miss macaroni and cheese and fried chicken the most.
  • BR1TTNIE
    BR1TTNIE Posts: 11
    Options
    I've been on my diet for almost 3 years, and have been very successful with it, so I'm used to the diet. I had to realize it wasn't so much a "diet", it was more of a lifestyle change. Now, i'm trying to maintain my weight but its being jumpy and stubborn. The foods I have given up is just about everything fried. (I couldn't give up french fries to keep me from going insane). I gave up a lot of the yummy carb foods : Pasta, bread, mac n cheese, potatoes etc. Those foods are a "treat" for me when I do have them. Also gave up red meet besides steak! Steak is good for ya! Since I don't eat fried foods, when I do get to, its hard to eat!! It doesn't taste the same and I'm not able to finish it. It just taste like pure grease instead of the actual food! Of course I gave up a lot of the yummy sweets. The sweets that I do eat, I buy sugar free. Most sugar free things usually have half, or less,calories than the original item. I live on a high protein diet. Steak, Fish, Chicken, Dairy etc and get my carbs from certain veggies and fruits (the good carbs) To maintain my weight, I also take supplements (which I had quit taken, and has taken a toll on me now!) that helps my metabolism, Its a tough "diet" to maintain, but its worth it in the end.... Now I have to get back on track!!
  • LindaLou252
    LindaLou252 Posts: 106
    Options
    Sweet tea, cornbread, and butter! I still have some from time to time, but in definite moderation!