What's the one Southern food you had to give up?

Options

Replies

• happyagain80
    happyagain80 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fried fish, mac n cheese, sweet tea, and sweet potatoe pie oh my!
  • BNance509
    BNance509 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have found Ideal sweetner & it is good you should try it. http://idealsweet.com/ It has xylitol in it. I am using it in my coffee & have just cut the sugar in half with my tea. I am going to try use it in a glass of tea & see what happens. Good luck. Brandy
  • BNance509
    BNance509 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have found Ideal sweetner & it is good you should try it. http://idealsweet.com/ It has xylitol in it. I am using it in my coffee & have just cut the sugar in half with my tea. I am going to try use it in a glass of tea & see what happens. Good luck. Brandy
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't given up any foods really.
    I just don't eat most of the southern dishes that often.
    There are times when a girls just got to have some macaroni and tomatoes or some beans and cornbread... or cornbread dressing with extra sage. >____< lol
    Seriously though. For me it's everything in moderation... even moderation. Seems to be working so far...

oh wait, I lied... there are 2 southern things that I adore that I have given up.
    Sweet tea and twice baked mac n cheese.
    But hey, having plain tea with splenda is NOT the end of the world.
  • jodiratliff
    jodiratliff Posts: 19
    Options
    Yep!
    They would be on my last meal menu if I was going to the chair!
  • jodiratliff
    jodiratliff Posts: 19
    Options
    Ohhh yes, the dumplings! Love the dumplings!
  • czuniga03
    czuniga03 Posts: 99
    Options
    Cheese eggs :frown: oh how I miss them
  • lstillwell1128
    lstillwell1128 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try spritzing them with Italian dressing wishbone salad spritzers and grilling them....delish, and you don't really miss the fried part of the fried green tomatoes
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Mac and cheese, anything fried, biscuits.
  • MommaSherryB
    MommaSherryB Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sweet Tea and Mounds Cake....
  • SandySassy
    SandySassy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sweet Tea!!!!! I'm from Texas (now living in WV) so thats the one thing I still make for the family... it tastes just like my grannies and oh its so good... Every now and then I have a glass as a treat!!! Other than that I just drink water.. boring I know.. HA
  • stacey062909
    stacey062909 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I miss gravy in general. Or the taste of fried food.
    But, when I look at it as a extremely tasty meal
    or being skinnier, this choice is pretty obvious.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My favorite veggie~Mac n' cheese!
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sweet tea!
    Anything fried.
    Mississippi Comeback sauce.(Pinterest it)
    Dumplings.
    Biscuits.
    Kelley's sausage.
    BUTTER!
    Banana pudding.
    Peach cobbler.
    Putting ranch dressing on EVERYTHING!
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Sweet tea!
    Anything fried.
    Mississippi Comeback sauce.(Pinterest it)
    Dumplings.
    Biscuits.
    Kelley's sausage.
    BUTTER!
    Banana pudding.
    Peach cobbler.
    Putting ranch dressing on EVERYTHING!

This is pretty much me too!!
    Cutting out SWEET TEA, I did treat myself the other day & did a half sweet / half unsweet tea
    my other thing being in a Tex/Mex area would be chips & queso (since I can eat my weight in them LOL :laugh: )
  • jdwkdw712
    Options
    pretty much everything! lol

We have gone vegan so all the meats and dairy are gone plus I dont use oil to cook so nothing fried (one exception is I use it when making bread but thats only until I find an alternative) and we dont use sugar.

13875285.png
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Anything fried...and biscuits.
  • kme2011
    kme2011 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I haven't really give up on any food. I just eat it in moderation. If i cut if out i would ruin myself. so if i have to have it i only eat just a tiny bit. But i did cut out my sweet tea compeletly. It was so hard at first. I gradually cut down on the amount of sugar i was making it with and eventually i realized i was drinking plain water with the color tea and little to no sugar. I can make a gallon now and it sits in the fridge til i pour it out a week later. So i stopped making it. i don't really miss it much. now my water has taken its place. ;)
  • txsweetie82
    txsweetie82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Finally remembered something. sweet tea... I had to give up what use to be my biggest staple in life... oh how I miss it.

I wonder if I can find a good recipe for devap with splenda... which I'm sure is still terrible for me

Oh yes def Sweet Tea! We are use to drinking about a gallon of sweet tea a day! Since I have started my journey we have not even made it lol. I am curious to try it with some agave nectar though.
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have given up my Diet Dr Peppers... and switched to Unsweet Raspberry Tea.
    Also I have given up the cupcakes... If anyone has ever had a Crave Cupcake, you know what I am talking about. This was a once a month treat - NO LONGER. AND I am a chocolate chip cookie *kitten*.. I will admit it. I havent had one of those in a long while. :) Oh how I miss them.