Replies

• beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Must check this out.
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I want to calibrate my Fitbit now, thanks for the link.
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thanks! bump!
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennable
    jennable Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did it today. I hope I did it right. It seems a bit much. I'm only 4' 11' and according to the calculator, I got 80 steps in 100 meters, for 49" stride and 60 steps running for 66"stride. That seems big for me since that was only running at around an 11:30 mile pace, so it was an easy pace...
  • Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did it today. I hope I did it right. It seems a bit much. I'm only 4' 11' and according to the calculator, I got 80 steps in 100 meters, for 49" stride and 60 steps running for 66"stride. That seems big for me since that was only running at around an 11:30 mile pace, so it was an easy pace...

I think I figured it out. I was just counting my left steps, so I needed to double all my steps...
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I did my calibration on a treadmill. I didn't know what speed to pick for walking. Any thoughts?
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I did my calibration on a treadmill. I didn't know what speed to pick for walking. Any thoughts?

When I tried it with a treadmill I played around with the speed a bit first and found what felt like my normal stride outside. I don't use a treadmill very often though. It ended up close, but it turned out to be a little shorter than my natural, outside stride for walking. Th running was closer.

ETA: Take that with a grain of salt, I've tested my stride a couple different ways and when I did it on a treadmill it wasn't quite as accurate as when I did it on a track. I am not sure whether it was user error since I don't use treadmills that often or because my stride is just different on one.
  • Kimsied
    Options

I think I figured it out. I was just counting my left steps, so I needed to double all my steps...

Yes, the best thing since you are calibrating the distance your fitbit tracks is to go by what the fitbit gives you. I push the strt button before the test (and before I take a step be careful not to, time doesn't matter with this test), then do your walk or run and stop as soon as you are done and press the button to stop the timer. That will make a fitbit activity record, log on to your fitbit account and look in your activity log. When you use whatever formula, use the steps listed in the fitbit activity record. If you are using a treadmill, you may not be able to abruptly stop, so just notice the treadmill distance covered when you push the stop button.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know the path around my street and the street behind my house makes up on kilometer within a few meters. I just walked it and calculated my stride using the website in the OP.

I think that is going to help my accuracy a lot!

Thanks for posting this thread.
  • Crossed_Wires
    Options
    Thank you!! I am 6' tall and have extremely long legs (38" inseam), so I have been having some definite issues with my fitbit's accuracy. So nice to have the math done for me!
  • Mom23djd
    Mom23djd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Marking for later. Definitely need to do this, since my Fitbit told me I walked nearly 6 miles one morning when it was actually only 4.
  • mturgeon05
    Options
    Marking for later. Definitely need to do this, since my Fitbit told me I walked nearly 6 miles one morning when it was actually only 4.

I am having the same problem.

Ran 1.8 miles this morning. Burned 181 calories according to iFit Live.
    Fitbit had me running 2.13 miles and burning 247 calories.
  • p21usa
    p21usa Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I spent all week doing this, lol! This was after the fitbit told me I walked 50 miles in one week...I knew something had to be wrong.I couldn't find a place where it said what the "default" stride was so I just went to the old H.S. track behind my house for three nights in a row and, using the timer on the FitBit, timed a walking mile. The first "mile" calculated at 1.5 miles with the default value. I finally got my stride correct at 27.1" and now the mile is .99. Those fitbit badges will actually mean something now.
  • mturgeon05
    Options
    I spent all week doing this, lol! This was after the fitbit told me I walked 50 miles in one week...I knew something had to be wrong.I couldn't find a place where it said what the "default" stride was so I just went to the old H.S. track behind my house for three nights in a row and, using the timer on the FitBit, timed a walking mile. The first "mile" calculated at 1.5 miles with the default value. I finally got my stride correct at 27.1" and now the mile is .99. Those fitbit badges will actually mean something now.

Did you just keep updating it on your Fitbit profile until you found the number that matched? I callibrated on my treadmill last night, and that clearly was a flop! I will head out to the track tomorrow to test it out!
  • Kimsied
    Options

Did you just keep updating it on your Fitbit profile until you found the number that matched? I callibrated on my treadmill last night, and that clearly was a flop! I will head out to the track tomorrow to test it out!

You know, I think it is easier to accurately test it on a track than a treadmill (as mentioned, I tried both). Since calibrating it on a track for both walking and running, I found it has been pretty accurate outside, on a treadmill, compared to gps and on that same track. It isn't always exact, but other than a track and perhaps a well maintained treadmill it is hard to know what is accurate (GPS has it's failings and how hilly the terrain is will effect how many steps/stride in the outdoor world). I also think it helps to use a long enough distance like a 1/4 mile, 1/3 mile, 1/2 mile or mile so the "average" is better. I originally did it with just a few steps in my house and that stride was too long compared to what I do over distance. If I improve at running (I am not a good runner), I will retest as right now if I run 1/3 a mile it isn't much longer in stride than if I walk 1/3 a mile (I am a pretty quick walker). So I suspect, this is one of those things that can change with fitness or improved technique and is probably worth retesting if you notice you have improved a lot. Sorry, that last part was just rambling!
  • maglodee
    maglodee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I'll have to calibrate mine soon too...
  • mturgeon05
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I feel really stupid, but I'm not sure I understand completely. Tomorrow when I head to the track I:

1. Start the fitbit timer
    2. Count my steps as I walk a quarter mile
    3. Stop fitbit timer
    4. Calculate stride using formula
    5. Repeat for jogging
    6. Update strides in Fitbit profile
    7. Start timer
    8. Walk a quarter mile/ count steps
    9. Stop timer
    10. Check activity log to see if distance/steps match

Is that correct?

What happens if they don't match? Change stride in Fitbit and walk again?

Sorry for all the questions. Just don't want to waste my time!
  • mturgeon05
    Options
    Sorry for the double post!