How and why I recalibrated my default stride length

Options
13»

Replies

• tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I feel really stupid, but I'm not sure I understand completely. Tomorrow when I head to the track I:

1. Start the fitbit timer
    2. Count my steps as I walk a quarter mile
    3. Stop fitbit timer
    4. Calculate stride using formula
    5. Repeat for jogging
    6. Update strides in Fitbit profile
    7. Start timer
    8. Walk a quarter mile/ count steps
    9. Stop timer
    10. Check activity log to see if distance/steps match

Is that correct?

What happens if they don't match? Change stride in Fitbit and walk again?

Sorry for all the questions. Just don't want to waste my time!

I didn't actually count my steps as I walked/jogged. I let the fitbit count them for me. It is usually spot on for the actual counting of steps while you are walking and running. I wrote down the start count and the stop count for each one (walking and running) on a piece of paper as I started and stopped each exercise.

I walked one kilometer (on a known-distance path) and then entered both of the counts for each exercise on this site:

http://www.tech4o.com/detail.aspx?id=181#

...which I got from another thread here discussing the same topic.

Finally, just update the strides on your fitbit profile.
  • jenmcc73
    jenmcc73 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for this info! I'll have to do this soon and make mine is accurate :)
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options

What happens if they don't match? Change stride in Fitbit and walk again?

Good question! They will not match (most likely unless your previous attempt to calibrate was correct). It only applies stride length changes to future workouts.
  • Kimsied
    Options
    I didn't actually count my steps as I walked/jogged. I let the fitbit count them for me. It is usually spot on for the actual counting of steps while you are walking and running. I wrote down the start count and the stop count for each one (walking and running) on a piece of paper as I started and stopped each exercise.

Another good point. I didn't count or write down my steps either. I used the fitbit timer to do that for me so I could just do the workout and I did the calibration at home. When you use the timer, it creates an activity record that you can later view on your fitbit account under "activity log". That activity record contains the fitbit data on what you did in that time, it includes: the start time, duration, total steps, total floors, distance the fitbit detected, calorie burn estimate, and average pace. It also has a minute by minute breakdown of the calories per minute, steps per minute, floors per minute, and speed and pace per minute.

In this case, I just use the step count the fitbit gives me since that is what I want to calibrate. In the future I want a walk with that number of steps to match the actual distance covered. Or a run with that number of steps to match the actual distance covered. The ting to be careful of is to not add extra steps to it so be careful to not start until the timer is going and to stop until after the timer is off (though a few extra steps probably won't matter too much, but on flat ground it is easy enough to avoid adding them).

I suppose counting them is a good mental memory exercise and can be a way to test how well the fitbit picks up on your actual steps. But for this purpose even if it is wrong, the fitbit steps are the number you want to use assuming you are wearing your fibit the same way as you usually do during a walking or running workout.

There are of course a few ways to do this. But just saying it doesn't have to be a memory and math workout unless you want it to be. I find it easier to focus on the physical part at the track, then do the math when I get home. :-)
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    Got it figured out for my walking stride :)

Now, I think I will figure it for my running stride on the treadmill. This is where I do all of my running, so I think it makes most sense there. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help!!
  • PinkTissue
    PinkTissue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to recalibrate my fitbit too when I realised that the steps are inaccurate.

The default stride length does not apply to me.

After experimenting, I realised that the type of shoes you wear also affect your stride length. High heel shoes tend to throw the fitbit off. So I average the stride length after trying out different pair of shoes.

I also find out that the placement of the fitbit also affect how fitbit count the steps. When I put the fitbit on my upper body (bra or pocket), it gives the most accurate count. If it is pockets in your pants/dress, a deep pocket may throw your fitbit slightly off. If you put your fitbit in your bag, it is preferable to put it in a bag where you can carry by your shoulder and not hand carry the bag. If you hand carry your bag with your fitbit, the 'swing' in the bag when you walk tends to throw fitbit off, especially when it comes to counting of stairs.

And lastly - just a speculation why the fitbit default stride length did not work for me. For my height and weight, I have very small feet - size 4. The average shoe size for my height/weight is 6-7. So my stride length is shorter than most people my height/weight.
  • Kimsied
    Options
    I agree with your observations PinkTissue and have noticed some similar. I never thought of foot size before, but it makes sense. I think it is most useful to calibrate stride to whatever you do where the distance matters to you. For me, I don't really care about when I wear heels as I don't wear them that often (just some weekend nights). But I do want my distance as accurate as possible walking in comfortable shoes on errands or if I go jogging. I don't really take the daily distance that seriously, for overall daily activity I look at the steps, floors, activity minutes and activity score. I do like for the distance to be pretty close if I am curious the distance I walked on an errand or during a walking/running workout though.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Stupid question... I'm going to do this tomorrow as I have noticed that my miles are way off compared to GPS. When changing the settings, it wants feet and inches (similar to height). Are you converting the inches to feet and inches or just simply entering the total inches in the inches spot? Told you it was a stupid question. :)
  • michaela531
    michaela531 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Fairieluv77
    Options
    Thanks!
  • cdrake500
    cdrake500 Posts: 2
    Options
    Question - tried to look up averages online but couldn't seem to find much info. I just double checked both my walk and run stride length and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the numbers seem reasonable? This is based on running a 200m track and having fitbit count steps (I counted steps manually too to check accuracy)..

I'm 5' 8", female, if that helps:
    Walk = 2 ft 4 in stride
    Run = 3 ft 6 in stride

Is that normal? Thanks!
  • Leopardfish1
    Leopardfish1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k on Saturday and my stride is definitely off as it only recorded me going 2.25 miles at the end of my 5k. So I'm going to try to set mine. Anybody have any ideas what mine would be? I'm a 5'2 female.
  • chench53
    chench53 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I initially entered a stride length too short. I'm 4'11" tall. I just calculated some adjustments, using the formula
    .413 x 59 inches = 28 inches, or 2'4" stride length.

I thought WOW, that's a huge change from what I'd been using. But then I paced it out, divided distance by # of steps, and lo and behold, I got 2'3". But, truthfully this is my "southern/leisurely pace", such as when I walk during the day in the office, I'm just sauntering about at this slower pace.

When I walk alone with intent to get someplace, I use my "NYC pace" which is a faster, longer stride. I paced this out out, again divided distance by # of steps, and got a 2'9" stride length.

Looking ahead, I expect FitBit will tell me I'm doing fewer steps, but expect the distance may increase due to the stride length. I think.

I'm going to adjust my walking stride to 2'4", and my "running" to 2'9" since when I "run" I'm basically in race-walking mode, with an occasional jog for a few minutes tossed in here and there.

It sounds logical to me, so we'll see how it goes.

Gerry
  • luvmylabz
    luvmylabz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I initially entered a stride length too short. I'm 4'11" tall. I just calculated some adjustments, using the formula
    .413 x 59 inches = 28 inches, or 2'4" stride length.

I thought WOW, that's a huge change from what I'd been using. But then I paced it out, divided distance by # of steps, and lo and behold, I got 2'3". But, truthfully this is my "southern/leisurely pace", such as when I walk during the day in the office, I'm just sauntering about at this slower pace.

When I walk alone with intent to get someplace, I use my "NYC pace" which is a faster, longer stride. I paced this out out, again divided distance by # of steps, and got a 2'9" stride length.

Looking ahead, I expect FitBit will tell me I'm doing fewer steps, but expect the distance may increase due to the stride length. I think.

I'm going to adjust my walking stride to 2'4", and my "running" to 2'9" since when I "run" I'm basically in race-walking mode, with an occasional jog for a few minutes tossed in here and there.

It sounds logical to me, so we'll see how it goes.

Gerry

.413 x 59 = 24.367 not 28 btw
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bump. For future use :D
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    m0ll3pprz wrote: »
    Bump. For future use :D

There is a much better method in the FAQ for the group if you have access to a treadmill, plus some comments on the pace that should be used for all day best estimate, not just during a 1 hr workout say.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I realize this is old, but mapmyrun is the least accurate running app.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I had to adjust my stride as well. I am 5'7" and my stride was much more than the defaults. Since adjusting my numbers have been right on and I have started losing.