When and where did your heart attack occur?

Options
124»

Replies

• DeniseDicks
    Options
    Thanks for your response. WOW You have lost a lot of weight! Congratulations! I will have to read the book.
  • MissyLonghornMom
    Options
    Hi -- my name is Missy and this is my first day to use this site. I really need to make an immediate, committed lifestyle change. I am 52 and have had two confirmed heart attacks (one biggie, one moderate) and maybe a couple little ones. My father died at 42 after having his sixth MI; his father died at 45 of a heart attack. Doctor said it is "a realistic goal" for me to see our last two boys through college (four years 'til youngest graduates). The only med I'm to take is a statin, and those made me so achy and sore -- the doctor dc'd the statin and has me on OTC (get it at GNC) red rice yeast. Doc said they're pretty much the same thing and that, in fact, that's what he takes himself. Taking one every other day to avoid the aches. Anyhoo . . . I think I'm busy (school nurse) but I'm really doing NOTHING like I should. I did quit smoking (I "sneak smoked"). Got a marvelous treadmill (now just need to get my hind-end on it). Need to quit drinking those lovely little Strawberritas that recently came out (those little cans add up fast -- I've gotten a GUT from them and never had a gut!!). So I'm going to get busy, keep sucking down lots of water, eat right and get my pasty self out in the sun more . . . xo to all of y'all and your excellent efforts.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Hi Missy! I've just noticed your post here. I'm surprised you're not on any meds apart from the red rice yeast. Don't you even have an anti-platelet medication? Just wondering because I seem to be on bucketloads!

It sounds like you're making lots of changes. Well done on quitting smoking! Best of luck with your efforts. It's hard work, but I think it's good to know you're doing something to help your health.
  • krisncraig
    krisncraig Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I woke up at 0500 1 April 2013 feeling very tired and a bit sweaty. At first I tought I might be comeing down with the flu. Shortly after I started getting ready for work I started to get chest pain that radiated into my back and my teeth started to hurt. It was at that moment that I knew something was not right. I proceeded to the hospital that was only minutes away from the house. I never in a million years would have thought I was having a heart attack. I arrived at the hospital and they ran tests and came back with the diagnosis that I was having a panic attack. About fifteen minutes later as I was laying on the bed I started to feel very relaxed as if I was floating. It was at that moment the doctors realized I was indeed having a heart attack. I had what they call a widow maker and I died three times. I now have five stents in my heart, now if I can just get the weight off all should be good. :heart:
  • krisncraig
    krisncraig Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :smile: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First off, best wishes to the recent posters (sorry, I've not been doing a good job of monitoring the activity out here): Missy, Denise, MrHaney, and Kris... I hope you're all doing well and taking care of yourselves. A few of us have the LAD thing in common--drat that trouble making artery!

You all talked about the need to make changes and have been making them--that's fantastic! Some of you have made some really major ones that are harder than anything I've done (e.g., smoking). As for getting more active, I know after my MI that seemed like a mountain I was going to need to climb.

But I believe in the power of small things done every day. And I also believe that the small things can grow slowly over time into things that really will make you stronger and feel great. A simple 10 minute leisurely walk a day can grow easily to an hour of fast-paced walking or even a 30 minute jog or HIIT cardio session over the course of a year (with your doc's permission). And you will feel so much stronger and so much more in control of your coronary disease. Today is the 2 year anniversary of my attack. By rights I shouldn't be here (if it had happened just 2 weeks later while I was on a road trip through remote country, I surely wouldn't), but I was lucky and had very quick treatment. After cardiac rehab, regular exercise ever since, and MFP for diet, I feel much better than even 20 years prior to the attack. I know anything can happen at any time, but we can do a lot to reduce the risk of another problem.

So best of luck to the folks who are recently recovering. Hang in there, believe in yourselves and your ability to fight back, and you'll surprise yourselves at what you can do.
  • KimberlyDawnEman
    Options
    I was dropping my BF off at his fathers (in a little town in south Florida I was unfamiliar with) after taking his car to the shop. His elderly dad asked him to get in the ladder a replace some shop lights. I was standing there sporting him and suddenly began to sweat. Although the it was Florida, January is still flip flop weather maybe 60• that day. Then a little nausea. No pain at all. My heart was a bit rapid. But I somehow knew instinctively something was seriously wrong. I asked his dad for aspirin and he said he didn't have one. I don't know why I didn't say anything I just said I really have to go and practically ran out the door. I got on my phone and asked Siri where the closest ER was. 24 minutes. I was sweating like crazy, cold clammy sweat. My heart racing, and an odd fear of impending doom. Panic was trying to get me as I drove and I just tried to stay as calm as I could. Nausea came in waves and I kept driving. Once I got there I really panicked because it hasn't passed and I knew it was a heart attack even though I had no pain yet. The intake nurse seemed casual and I was telling her I need a cardiologist right away. She said ok. 5 minutes still nothing and I said I need one now as I began to feel pressure in my chest. She still motioned me to hold while she was writing something and I just walked through the ER door to the actual nurses and doctors. I grabbed the 1st nurse and said I think in having a heart attack. I need help. She said oh really!? I said yes. Please get a doctor. She said well let's check you out but more than likely this is a panic attack. We see it all the time. I said j know what a panic attack is and feels like and his isn't it. She said well you're young and appear very fit and no previous history. I'm sure that's what it is. She took her time asking questions and became more frustrated. My chest was hurting more and then as I began panic mode she stopped and asked if I used street drugs sternly. I said no. Not even a Tylenol in 10 years. She said if you're lying we'll know right away because we're about to draw blood. Then I was scared and now also mad. I said stop wasting time with this nonsense and get a doctor please. Crying at this point. I said I ran 15 miles yesterday. Worked out at the gym. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. Clean eating and something is very wrong. She said all the more reason it's probably a panic attack not your heart. About 23 minutes had gone by. Sweat had drenched me and suddenly it felt like a canon ball was sitting on my rib cage. I knew I had limited talking time and I felt I couldn't get any air. I started to scream for a doctor. She told me to calm down. I kept screaming. A dr came in and immediately said grab the wig. Get labs. And I looked at his coat and he was a cardiologist. I said thank you a bunch. Grabbed his arm and said please don't leave. He was asking the nurse questions about my care and she must have told him what she thought. Drugs or panic attack, he sent her away and the room was a flurry with new people. A lot of them. Within a minute of the elf he was moving things and asking for my next of kin. I said why? He said because you were right. Your having a heart attack. I said well don't let me. He said too late your having it now and I need a next of kin. I gave him my best friends number because I didn't want to worry my family. Weird I know I wasn't thinking right. It went fast and I was in a dark room with big screens covering the wall, tons of people and he was putting in 4 stents. On the 4th one the artery tore and then he noticed my widow alert was separating. He said I'm putting a ballon pacemaker up thru your groin to help rest and regulate your heart while we transfer you to Jacksonville. I became a bit manic I guess. They medicated me. My daughter was standing there, a nurse in Jax and I could see the fear in her face. He gave her the cd and said make sure they look at this asap. Her widow maker is separating. She sat down and I was off to Jax. They couldn't do the open heart right away due to my weakened heart so I was medicated for about 8 hours until they felt I was strong enough. I was on bypass for 6 hours. They replaced to stents with bypass X 2 and then repaired the widow maker by wrapping a tendon from my leg around it.

Im thankful for the doctor who heard me screaming. Apparently I've found that 98% of women die from heart attacks under the age of 50 in the ER because they aren't taken seriously. I would say ladies, find your voice, that loud one we use all the time any other time. ❤️
  • Vailara
    Options
    Wow, what a story! That must have been such a terrifying experience. I'm so glad that you were finally taken seriously. I have heard that younger women tend to have problems being diagnosed and suffered the consequences. Thank goodness you insisted on getting treatment. I hope you're recovering now.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Kimberly, holy crow! I simply can not believe that upon presenting with chest pain they didn't automatically fast track you as a cardiac patient. Hopefully the worst is past and I hope you are doing well. Hang in there.
  • Rosco527
    Rosco527 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    March 10, 2015. I was at the Canadian Tire Centre watching the Sens and the Bruins (Sens losing 3-0, probably why I had the attack). I was feeling poorly earlier in the day but went home and took a nap. When I woke up I decided to go to the game at the last minute with a friend. Between the second and third period the pain started in my neck and radiated down my left arm and up into my face (teeth hurt). Walked down to the paramedics, approached a young paramedic (looked like he was 12), I am certain that I was the first person that said to him "I think I am having a heart attack" and actually was. Rushed to the Ottawa Hospital Heart Institute (Ottawa residents are incredibly lucky to have this) and 3 hours later in recovery with two 8 mm stents and a very sore right wrist. 56 hours later I was sitting on my couch at home wondering what in hell just happened. Everyone kept saying quit smoking first and don't worry about gaining weight...lol. Time to start worrying about the weight so I am now on MFP.
  • Vailara
    Options
    Hi Rosco - I hadn't noticed that this thread was still active! Well done on knowing that you were having a heart attack and asking for help! Sounds like you had very quick treatment, thank goodness. Congratulations on stopping smoking, too.