TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm with mommyinmotion Lucia; you rock!! :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok let me see if I got this right......I been reading this forum for hours lol!!! Love it. and excited....however....I get nervous. I have been eating around 1300- 1500 calories and my net is always at least 1200....but according to this...

my BMR: 1654
    TDEE: 2564

TDEE 2564-15% = 2179

So if I have this correctly...on my none work out days I eat 2179
    When I lift I add 200 more onto that.
    If I do cardio I make sure I hit a net of 1200.....

Correct? If so I guess I have alot more eating to do!?!?!?! LOL

Hi April, you eat 2179 every single day and if you have a high burn you net your BMR which is 1654. So, you only need to start eating back if you burn over 525 cals.:flowerforyou:
  • aprileigh27
    aprileigh27 Posts: 37
    Options
    GOT IT FINALLY!!! :):) I have been doing so much reading on all this!!! You did a wonderful job posting all this, thanks for the help! And congrats on all your weight loss!!! :)
  • jeano22
    jeano22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to MFP and to the group. The information on here has truly blown me away because I have been doing things all wrong for so long. My BMR is 1627 and my TDEE is 2522 and with the cut 2142. So I have now learned that I really need to increase my food intake not only to feel energized but to fuel my workouts. Thanks so much for such an awesome post!
  • DebbieLOL
    DebbieLOL Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Debbie & I'm new to the group. This is far & away the most informative group or discussion thread I've seen on MFP. Lucia, thanks for posting all of the information & videos. I can see you put a lot of work into it! The information makes so much sense to me. MFP had me at 1260 calories. I lost a lot in the first 5 weeks, but since then have been gaining & losing the same 2 pounds. My BMR calculated to be 1867 and my TDEE cut at 2182 so I decided to set my goal at 1950 (that's what I could get it to with light activity & 1 pound/ week). I met the goal today & after eating only 1260/ day for the past 2 months, I feel like a stuffed pig. And to think I used to eat far more than this every day <ugh!>. This new goal will be a lot easier to live with. I'm anxious to see how it goes. Thanks again for the info!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Could someone just check I'm going to do this right today....
    TDEE for a moderately active me is 2550. With a 15% cut it's 2167.
    My BMR is 1645

Today I really went for it and burned 823 cals.

If I calculate 2167-823 I get a figure which is under my BMI, i.e. 1344
    Should I therefore be eating the difference between my BMI and 1344 (1645-1344=301 cals) as well as my 15% cut of 2167 cals?

I don't normally burn this much, hence my question. I wonder if I'll ever get to grips with these numbers :laugh:
  • augstrac
    augstrac Posts: 14
    Options
    The past few weeks i have not been losing very much if any at all. I have a desk job and just started the C25K program to get myself into running versus just the elliptical.

Weight: 195
    Height: 5'5"
    Female
    I work at a desk job and excercise 3-4 days a week 40mins a day

These are the stats it gave me.

BMR- 1704
    TDEE-2641

2245 is the result when i subtract 15% of the TDEE

So i should be eating 2210 on my "off" days when i dont run?

Am i doing this right
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    The past few weeks i have not been losing very much if any at all. I have a desk job and just started the C25K program to get myself into running versus just the elliptical.

Weight: 195
    Height: 5'5"
    Female
    I work at a desk job and excercise 3-4 days a week 40mins a day

These are the stats it gave me.

BMR- 1704
    TDEE-2641

2245 is the result when i subtract 15% of the TDEE

So i should be eating 2210 on my "off" days when i dont run?

Am i doing this right
    yep! Even on off days. :-)
  • augstrac
    Options
    So on "running" days even though i dont run for too long because i am in the beginning of training i'm supposed to consume 2641?
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Okay, So I just joined this group. I need some help. I did the scooby's calculator.

It says

BMR: 1196 (Which I thought was 1400 from a few other websites)
    TDEE: 1853
    And then my daily calories to lose fat 15% calorie reduction is 1575

My stats are: 5'4, 151 lbs

I've been at this weight for months. I've lost 50 lbs already. What should I do? I need to get over this plateau! I want to lose 20 more lbs and tone up a lot! But want to lose inches, mostly my legs!

So how much should I be eating? I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thank you!
  • augstrac
    Options
    Okay i think i get it now. 2210 everyday and if i burn more than 506 calories excercising i need to eat what i lost to keep my BMR satisfied.
  • augstrac
    Options
    Okay, So I just joined this group. I need some help. I did the scooby's calculator.

It says

I've been at this weight for months. I've lost 50 lbs already. What should I do? I need to get over this plateau! I want to lose 20 more lbs and tone up a lot! But want to lose inches, mostly my legs!

So how much should I be eating? I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thank you!

If i am folowing this right you are supposed to be eating 1575 EVERYDAY, on the days you excercise if you burn over 379 you need to eat back what you went over. Say you burned 400 calories you would need to eat back 21 calories.
  • Ralstonk2
    Options

It says

If i am folowing this right you are supposed to be eating 1575 EVERYDAY, on the days you excercise if you burn over 379 you need to eat back what you went over. Say you burned 400 calories you would need to eat back 21 calories.

This is crazy. LOL I'm not sure I could eat 1575 everyday! LOL And not work out. LOL But on the days that I work out, I just need to make sure I am at the end of the day have eaten at least my BMR which is 1196 according to that website? So if I start eating 1575 everyday and working out I'll start losing weight/fat/inches?
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

It says

Run your numbers again...that isn't your BMR. I just ran them for you with your age from your profile & 15% cut and the BMR is coming in as 1479.

With 1-3 hours light exercise your TDEE is 2034 and your daily calories are 1728.

With 3-5 hours exercise your TDEE is 2293 and daily calories are 1949.

You eat the same daily calories every day only eating more if once you add exercise at the end of the day you fall below BMR. You should net above BMR. If you are having to eat back extra calories often then you haven't chosen the correct activity level.

Trust the system. I'm your height, 42 years old, 138lbs, eating 1800 calories a day and losing either lbs or inches EACH week.

Give it a go :) I've found that eating nuts, yoghurts, avocados etc are great ways to increase calories. Don't choose the fat free versions which are normally loaded with lots of sugar anyway.
  • angelina2585
    Options
    Okay i think i get it now. 2210 everyday and if i burn more than 506 calories excercising i need to eat what i lost to keep my BMR satisfied.

Yes eat your cut each and every day :)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I've done my calcs and my TDEE is 2419. I was struggling on 1245 + exercise cals
  • angelina2585
    Options
    Could someone just check I'm going to do this right today....
    TDEE for a moderately active me is 2550. With a 15% cut it's 2167.
    My BMR is 1645

Today I really went for it and burned 823 cals.

If I calculate 2167-823 I get a figure which is under my BMI, i.e. 1344
    Should I therefore be eating the difference between my BMI and 1344 (1645-1344=301 cals) as well as my 15% cut of 2167 cals?

I don't normally burn this much, hence my question. I wonder if I'll ever get to grips with these numbers :laugh:

Yes you've got it. You should eat the extra :)
  • Ralstonk2
    Options

It says

Run your numbers again...that isn't your BMR. I just ran them for you with your age from your profile & 15% cut and the BMR is coming in as 1479.

With 1-3 hours light exercise your TDEE is 2034 and your daily calories are 1728.

With 3-5 hours exercise your TDEE is 2293 and daily calories are 1949.

You eat the same daily calories every day only eating more if once you add exercise at the end of the day you fall below BMR. You should net above BMR. If you are having to eat back extra calories often then you haven't chosen the correct activity level.

Trust the system. I'm your height, 42 years old, 138lbs, eating 1800 calories a day and losing either lbs or inches EACH week.

Give it a go :) I've found that eating nuts, yoghurts, avocados etc are great ways to increase calories. Don't choose the fat free versions which are normally loaded with lots of sugar anyway.

Your right I did it wrong. LOL

Okay.

BMR: 1479
    TDEE: 2292
    =1949 (Everyday?)

OKay so with these numbers explain it again? I did it with 3-5 hrs a week of of moderate exercise with 5 meals a day. So I think I get that I should be eating 1949 ish everyday (REALLY? How can I eat that much?) And then on the days that I work out? I usually burn between 300-450? And I want to lose 20 lbs. THANK YOU!
  • Ralstonk2
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

What is eating back my calories to often? More than twice a week?
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Ok let me see if I got this right......I been reading this forum for hours lol!!! Love it. and excited....however....I get nervous. I have been eating around 1300- 1500 calories and my net is always at least 1200....but according to this...

my BMR: 1654
    TDEE: 2564

TDEE 2564-15% = 2179

So if I have this correctly...on my none work out days I eat 2179
    When I lift I add 200 more onto that.
    If I do cardio I make sure I hit a net of 1200.....

Correct? If so I guess I have alot more eating to do!?!?!?! LOL

Hi April, you eat 2179 every single day and if you have a high burn you net your BMR which is 1654. So, you only need to start eating back if you burn over 525 cals.:flowerforyou:

super, in your answer to April I got my answer too, thanks Lucia :smile: