TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• ChrisNewmark
    Options
    Ok. I am one of "those" people who only eat 1200 calories a day. I have done this for over a year and have lost 135 lbs. I still want to lose about 10 more pounds. I workout (running and lifting) 5-6 days a week and burn about 400-650 calories per wrokout. I have been doing lots of research about "eating more to lose weight" b/c I want something that I can live with for the rest of my life. and eating 1200 calories every day for the rest of my life isn't going to happen. I've worked too hard to let myself gain back the weight I've lost. Through my research, I've come across this group. I went to the scooby's website and entered my info. Now comes the ?......what do I do now?
    Here are my numbers:
    BMR: 1428
    TDEE: 2213
    Daily Calories based on goal on step 6 (-15%): 1881

so which is the number of calories I want to eat per day?
    what do I do on workout days? I usually do cardio and lifting on the same day...should I seperate and only one or the other?
    do I add back calories on workout days? how do I know how many to eat back?

thanks for the help, I appreciate it :)

Chris
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok. I am one of "those" people who only eat 1200 calories a day. I have done this for over a year and have lost 135 lbs. I still want to lose about 10 more pounds. I workout (running and lifting) 5-6 days a week and burn about 400-650 calories per wrokout. I have been doing lots of research about "eating more to lose weight" b/c I want something that I can live with for the rest of my life. and eating 1200 calories every day for the rest of my life isn't going to happen. I've worked too hard to let myself gain back the weight I've lost. Through my research, I've come across this group. I went to the scooby's website and entered my info. Now comes the ?......what do I do now?
    Here are my numbers:

what do I do on workout days? I usually do cardio and lifting on the same day...should I seperate and only one or the other?

Chris

Eat 1881 every single day and on workout days if you burn over 450 eat the excess over the 450.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If for some reason I work out less one week than i have stated I would (like 2 hours instead of 4) ... what do you recommend me do ... in theory this would change my workout level so would i let it go that week or do i have to make it up? Or eat less the rest of the week? Thanks
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    Here are my numbers:

Chris

Eat 1881 every single day and on workout days if you burn over 450 eat the excess over the 450.

thank you!!! Since I am only eating 1200 a day I am going to gradually increase this to get to the 1881. Cant wait to start giving this a try.... I appreciate your time and help :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Here are my numbers:

Chris

thank you!!! Since I am only eating 1200 a day I am going to gradually increase this to get to the 1881. Cant wait to start giving this a try.... I appreciate your time and help :)

LOL..soon you will be wondering how you ever ate just 1200. Hope you bump quick, its easy with high cal nutritious foods...nut butters, nuts, avocado...etc.
  • applejack2
    applejack2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, the cut value I used is 15% = 1591. Sorry this amount just seems so high. I'm gonna give it a try.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I've been going at this for two weeks and seen this group recommended and I see why. The information here is fantastic!! I've not seen any changes yet but I'm former low-carber and 1200cal gal, so I'm expecting this to take a bit of time!
    If someone could make sure I'm understanding right I'd appreciate it!

BMR=1663
    TDEE=2578
    TDEE (-20%)=2063

I should be eating that 2063 every day no matter what, correct? Doesn't matter if it's a rest day or anything like that?

I understand I don't want to eat *below* my BMR...so right now I eat pretty much right around 2000, give or take some, and my daily burn is anywhere from 350-450 (I'm doing Ripped in 30). Some days I throw in a 20 minute bike ride or some pilates/yoga; if my burn puts me below my BMR do I need to eat some more? I've got the activity level set at moderate because I rarely exceed 5 hours a week, so I just want to make sure I'm on track.

You got it!

Thank you! I'll have to watch my intake then on a few days and just shovel in a bit more food.

Out of curiosity, how long has it taken everyone to start seeing results? I'm at the start of week 3 and my weight has just bounced up and down by about 4lbs. but I haven't yet gone over what I weighed when I started.
  • MargoPrior
    MargoPrior Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello and I want to thank you for doing all of this great work and sharing with us all. I believe I am going to be putting myself in that 'confused' group too, but only for a short bit I hope. I am wanting to see if I understand things right so I have it ok for both myself and my daughter.

For me I have:
    BMR=1632
    TDEE=2244
    TDEE -20% = 1795
    (I chose to do the 20 percent since we both have quite a bit to lose, I hope that is ok?)

Daughter:
    BMR=2078
    TDEE=2858
    TDEE -20%=2286

So We would set our calorie Goals for:
    Me: 1795 on workout days
    Daughter: 2286 on workout days
    and we would Eat that many food calories? Do we consider the net at all or disregard it?

Also What about on non workout days if we have any?
    would it be like for
    Me: 1632
    Daughter: 2078?
    or do we eat the amounts I first listed of 1795 and 2286 no matter what each and every day whether we work out or not?

Thanks so much for your time, help and patience!! :-)

If you figured out your activity level correctly then you eat the same calories every day because exercise calories are already figured into the cut calories #'s. But if you have a strenuous workout that takes you below your BMR then you will have to eat extra calories to net your BMR.

For example your calories for the day are 1795 and your workout was 500 calories that would take you below your BMR of 1632, so you would need to eat a extra 337 to net your BMR. 1795-500=1295,1632(BMR) - 1295= 337 So you have to 1795+ 337 = 2132 for that day. Make sense?

Yes, I believe it does. I went back and did our numbers again, based on working out 3-5 hours a week. So our numbers look like this:
    My daughter:
    BMR=2074
    TDEE=3214
    TDEE-20%=2571.
    Her workouts are usually 500 to 1000 calorie burns (depending on how long she works out) and from what I understand She would eat 2571 every day unless she works out over 500 calories? (2571-2074=491, rounded up to 500) and if she does, then she would eat back anything over the 500? So on 1000 calorie burn days she would eat (or try to eat) 2571 + 500=3071?

For me I got
    BMR=1630
    TDEE=2527
    TDEE - 20%=2021
    My workouts run around 300-350 calories per burn now, sometimes more on days I feel better. So I eat 2021 every day unless I burn more than 400 calories a day? 2021-1630=391 (rounded up to 400)?

I hope I have it right now? Thanks again! :-)
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    I just joined the group and I want to know if my numbers are correct.

BMR= 2013
    TDEE= 3121
    TDEE -20% = 2496

So I am supposed to eat 2496 everyday with and without exercise? Also, how many lbs does that help me lose? I have quite a bit weight to lose and I've been on a plateau for over a month. I've been eating about 1000-1300 and I never eat my calories back. I do Zumba for an hour 5x a week.

I would really appreciate some help to get me going again. Great information on this group!
  • imsomony
    imsomony Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi all *waves*, another newbie here. Just wanna make sure what I think I'm understanding and doing is actually right. I used Scooby's workshop to calculate my numbers:

Weight: 140
    Height: 74 inches
    Activity: desk job with little exercise
    Goal: 5% calorie reduction (see notes below)

BMR: 1453
    TDEE: 1744
    Calories based on goal: 1657

I've messed around with the calculator a bit, seeing what numbers are given with varying activity levels. It appears that when I change the activity setting, for each new level, my TDEE jumps 2-300 calories, which is about right for an average workout (as opposed to a going-for-the-gold fat burning workout). Also, I set the activity level at "desk job" because that would be the equivalent of my "rest day", an absolutely non-active, sleeping-in, doing-what-I-want-instead-of-exercising day.

My understanding? No matter what, I need to net 1744. That means if I don't do anything at all, I should eat 1744 calories. If it's a workout day, I need to eat 1744 calories PLUS whatever it was I burned off. Right?

NOTES:

I'm eating for my goal weight, figuring that if I can get it right early on, then it will be that much more easy to maintain once I get there. That 5% reduction thing isn't actually applicable in the calculations above. I don't have a ton of weight I'm trying to lose, I'm 165 at the moment. If I calculate with my current weight and a 10% calorie reduction, I get:

BMR: 1563
    TDEE: 1875
    Calories based on goal: 1688
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how long has it taken everyone to start seeing results? I'm at the start of week 3 and my weight has just bounced up and down by about 4lbs. but I haven't yet gone over what I weighed when I started.

Some people see results right away, some take 2-3 months. There are many factors that come into play, like how long you ate low cal before, and everyone's metabolism goes at it's own rate. It took me probably 3-4 months or so :noway: , but I did a metabolism reset, and my case is one of the longest ones that I've ever seen, so it's a bit extreme.

But since it's setting you up for the rest of your life, the small amount of time seems like nothing once you're living the life (you'll just have to trust me on that one, but I've NEVER regretted it) :wink:

Yes, I believe it does. I went back and did our numbers again, based on working out 3-5 hours a week. So our numbers look like this:
    My daughter:
    BMR=2074
    TDEE=3214
    TDEE-20%=2571.
    Her workouts are usually 500 to 1000 calorie burns (depending on how long she works out) and from what I understand She would eat 2571 every day unless she works out over 500 calories? (2571-2074=491, rounded up to 500) and if she does, then she would eat back anything over the 500? So on 1000 calorie burn days she would eat (or try to eat) 2571 + 500=3071?

For me I got
    BMR=1630
    TDEE=2527
    TDEE - 20%=2021
    My workouts run around 300-350 calories per burn now, sometimes more on days I feel better. So I eat 2021 every day unless I burn more than 400 calories a day? 2021-1630=391 (rounded up to 400)?

I hope I have it right now? Thanks again! :-)

You got it!

BMR= 2013
    TDEE= 3121
    TDEE -20% = 2496

So I am supposed to eat 2496 everyday with and without exercise? Also, how many lbs does that help me lose? I have quite a bit weight to lose and I've been on a plateau for over a month. I've been eating about 1000-1300 and I never eat my calories back. I do Zumba for an hour 5x a week.

I would really appreciate some help to get me going again. Great information on this group!

Hi, welcome to the group!

Yep. Eat the same amount every day. Your exercise cals are already figured in, so you won't need to eat them back. Because your cals were so low, you want to gain your bodies trust by feeding it the same amount daily.

Be sure to read the "what to expect" sticky (the first post, not necessarily all of the responses), as it will help you tremendously to fully understand the process.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    Hi all *waves*, another newbie here. Just wanna make sure what I think I'm understanding and doing is actually right. I used Scooby's workshop to calculate my numbers:

Weight: 140
    Height: 74 inches
    Activity: desk job with little exercise
    Goal: 5% calorie reduction (see notes below)

BMR: 1453
    TDEE: 1744
    Calories based on goal: 1657

I've messed around with the calculator a bit, seeing what numbers are given with varying activity levels. It appears that when I change the activity setting, for each new level, my TDEE jumps 2-300 calories, which is about right for an average workout (as opposed to a going-for-the-gold fat burning workout). Also, I set the activity level at "desk job" because that would be the equivalent of my "rest day", an absolutely non-active, sleeping-in, doing-what-I-want-instead-of-exercising day.

My understanding? No matter what, I need to net 1744. That means if I don't do anything at all, I should eat 1744 calories. If it's a workout day, I need to eat 1744 calories PLUS whatever it was I burned off. Right?

NOTES:

I'm eating for my goal weight, figuring that if I can get it right early on, then it will be that much more easy to maintain once I get there. That 5% reduction thing isn't actually applicable in the calculations above. I don't have a ton of weight I'm trying to lose, I'm 165 at the moment. If I calculate with my current weight and a 10% calorie reduction, I get:

BMR: 1563
    TDEE: 1875
    Calories based on goal: 1688

We actually recommend that you figure your activity in, rather than selecting sedentary, because eating a consistent amount of cals is pretty crucial in the beginning. And since the calculator figures in all of your activity for the week, the cals are already spread out for you, so you don't need to adjust up or down depending on whether you are active that day or not. Once your body has become accustomed to the higher level of cals, then if someone wants to adjust based on activity level, it's fine to do so. But doing so in the beginning can cause your body to just see the "high" days as binges and store all the excess cals because a "low" day is around the corner.

If you choose to do it the way that we recommend, then you'll not be eating back exercise cals, because they are already figured in.

But if nothing else, even if you decide to continue with the method that you've chosen, just be sure to never net below your BMR. :wink:

~Kiki
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ok here's my question. When should you do a metabolism reset?? And what does it involve? Below are my numbers :)

My BMR = 1637
    TDEE = 2537
    TDEE -15% = 2156
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    Ok here's my question. When should you do a metabolism reset?? And what does it involve? Below are my numbers :)

My BMR = 1637
    TDEE = 2537
    TDEE -15% = 2156

Be sure to check out the vid on the metabolism reset. It's def a personal thing, you kinda just "know." If you've been low cal for longer than you can remember. Or if you up your cals and see no response after 6 wks or so, then your body has probably decided for you that it needed to take one, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COzMKkXeiFo

~Kiki
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    So, today is my day #1 of upping my calories. I was at 1200 and need to go to 1881 and was going to try to do it gradually, but after more research I decided to just bite the bullet and do it day 1.
    I went to enter my info. on myfitnesspal and had a question.
    I changed my calories to the 1881, changed my protein and fat to 30%, and carbs to 40%, and entered my estimated calories burned throughout the week through exercise (2000 total = 400 cal. burn x 5 days a week)
    So at the bottom on that screen it tells you your estimated weight loss and mine was only .1 oz. a week. Is that normal?
    I would like to lose at least 1/2 lb. to 1 lb. per week if possible. Is that unrealistic? I have allready lost 135 lbs. I currently weigh 155 and am having my loose skin removed during surgery in about 4 months which will take about 10 lbs. of skin/fat..... so I'm thinking my goal after surgery is to get down to about 120lbs. ?? Really I dont mind the number as long as I look lean, healthy and have some muscle definition (which I do allready, but want bigger guns) :)
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options

BMR= 2013
    TDEE= 3121
    TDEE -20% = 2496

Hi, welcome to the group!

Yep. Eat the same amount every day. Your exercise cals are already figured in, so you won't need to eat them back. Because your cals were so low, you want to gain your bodies trust by feeding it the same amount daily.

Be sure to read the "what to expect" sticky (the first post, not necessarily all of the responses), as it will help you tremendously to fully understand the process.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Thank you very much. I read the post and yeah I am going to need a lot of patience. Before finding your group I had started eating more and toning down the exercise. I'm happy to say that as of this morning I'm down 1.6lbs. Thank you so much!
  • shmach
    shmach Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello, I am so new to this and I am so nervous!!!! However, very interested, wanting to lose weight and gonna gove it a try since Ive been gaining at 1200 caloric intake and enjoying my weekends. (ie. pizza, beer, wine, burgers) :smile: all in moderation..!!! LOL.. SInce I'm a little confused I figured I would post my stats. I am moderately active doing 30DS and walking reguarly as of now!...My goal is to lose weight and body fat.. I want to look lean...

Here are my stats:

BMR = 1516
    TDEE = 2350
    TDEE-20% = 1880

So do I eat 1516 or 2350?

Thxs for the help and good luck to all!
  • mrsacoulter
    mrsacoulter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am going to attempt this. I find it difficult to eat 1200 calories on most days. :ohwell:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hello, I am so new to this and I am so nervous!!!! However, very interested, wanting to lose weight and gonna gove it a try since Ive been gaining at 1200 caloric intake and enjoying my weekends. (ie. pizza, beer, wine, burgers) :smile: all in moderation..!!! LOL.. SInce I'm a little confused I figured I would post my stats. I am moderately active doing 30DS and walking reguarly as of now!...My goal is to lose weight and body fat.. I want to look lean...

Here are my stats:

BMR = 1516
    TDEE = 2350
    TDEE-20% = 1880

So do I eat 1516 or 2350?

Thxs for the help and good luck to all!

Hey lady, if you want to truly lean out, bump your cut to 15% instead of 20%, if there is any way to start a strength training program, that will be a big help and make sure to be consistent...on workout days net your BMR at least and eat your 15% cut value daily.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    So, today is my day #1 of upping my calories. I was at 1200 and need to go to 1881 and was going to try to do it gradually, but after more research I decided to just bite the bullet and do it day 1.
    I went to enter my info. on myfitnesspal and had a question.
    I changed my calories to the 1881, changed my protein and fat to 30%, and carbs to 40%, and entered my estimated calories burned throughout the week through exercise (2000 total = 400 cal. burn x 5 days a week)
    So at the bottom on that screen it tells you your estimated weight loss and mine was only .1 oz. a week. Is that normal?
    I would like to lose at least 1/2 lb. to 1 lb. per week if possible. Is that unrealistic? I have allready lost 135 lbs. I currently weigh 155 and am having my loose skin removed during surgery in about 4 months which will take about 10 lbs. of skin/fat..... so I'm thinking my goal after surgery is to get down to about 120lbs. ?? Really I dont mind the number as long as I look lean, healthy and have some muscle definition (which I do allready, but want bigger guns) :)

If you want guns, you have got to fuel your body and lift heavy weights:-)