TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Another quick question - lol - I had cut my tdee by 20% - should it be 15% - also not sure if have made a boo boo this week but had set cals to tdee for 3-5 hours of working out but this week have the kids at home and the gym has been closed due to the bank holidays so I hvemt been able to workout as normal - should I now drop my cals down to just bmr as not going to be able to workout this week ????

Hey!

Most people set to 15% TDEE cut. For me, since I have 90lbs more to lose I set mine to TDEE -20%.. Once i get nearer my goal I will go down to 15%

Also for the activity. 1 Week doe snot matter. If you are going right back into working out next week i would not sweat it.
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Another quick question - lol - I had cut my tdee by 20% - should it be 15% - also not sure if have made a boo boo this week but had set cals to tdee for 3-5 hours of working out but this week have the kids at home and the gym has been closed due to the bank holidays so I hvemt been able to workout as normal - should I now drop my cals down to just bmr as not going to be able to workout this week ????

Hey!

Most people set to 15% TDEE cut. For me, since I have 90lbs more to lose I set mine to TDEE -20%.. Once i get nearer my goal I will go down to 15%

Also for the activity. 1 Week doe snot matter. If you are going right back into working out next week i would not sweat it.

Thanks for replying - I have got 17lb left to loose - maybe I will carry on with the -20 and the work down in -15

Will be back to normal.burns next week when the kids r back at school - did go for a long walk today - and playing netball tomorrow night so that should be another burn ;)
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Hey!

Thanks for replying - I have got 17lb left to loose - maybe I will carry on with the -20 and the work down in -15

Will be back to normal.burns next week when the kids r back at school - did go for a long walk today - and playing netball tomorrow night so that should be another burn ;)

Good stuff!
  • SoxxEBeotch
    SoxxEBeotch Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    OMG... All these acronyms are confusing... Would someone PLEASE help me out with this??? My BMR according to mfp is 1670, which is what I have my daily cals set for. I never do the same exercise everyday, as most days its minor activity. I walk and or elliptical, but not every day. Whatever my fitbit adjustment is, I try not to eat back those cals. Since I upped my daily cals to what my BMR is, I'm not losing weight at all. It's the same as when I had it set to 1400 per day. The only time I've lost weight has been when I first began mfp and set my daily cals to 1200. I was also in transition mode with meds that had dietary restrictions. Since I'm no longer on the meds, I don't have to worry about that anymore. I still eat decent, but at 1670 cals set for the day, I think it gives me too much room to eat crap food, as long as I'm still under. My fitbit adjustment is usually an average of -350 to -400 cals. To me, eating back those cals is too much food. Eating 1670 per day is difficult, unless I eat garbage food. I'm not sure what to do. Plus this TDEE thing... I just don't get it all LOL... It's like a totally different language to me..........................................

HELP!

:huh:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Hi there, go to this site: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Plug in your info, select a 15% cut and it will tell you how many calories you should be eating per day (you do not eat back your exercise calories because it will be factored in already.

If you are having trouble eating that many calories, consider adding in some full fat options. Most of us here don't have difficulty eating 2000 plus calories per day but we are eating calorie rich healthy foods like almonds, greek yogurt, butter, full fat dairy, lean meats, eggs, avocado, peanut butter or almond butter...plus a treat here and there.
  • Al_One
    Al_One Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok I'm looking for some help.... I'm 266lbs and want to get down to 224lbs. Now according to MFP I should be eating 1750 cals and have been for the last 3 weeks. I actually find it hard to eat this amount (apart from the weekend when I have some wine) but have lost 4lbs in that time... but this week I lost nothing! Now I'm wondering if I'm eating too little and going into starvation mode! I put my details into scoobys site and it said my BMR is 2385 and my TDEE is 3279. Would I be right in saying that I should be eating 2600 calories (-20%)? Thats 1000 more than I currently eat so I'm a bit apprehensive about doing this...

Thanks for any help.

Al
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    by eating your TDEE minus the 15%...do you eat your exercise calories back if you burn less than 500?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    by eating your TDEE minus the 15%...do you eat your exercise calories back if you burn less than 500?

If your burn is particularly high on any specific day and drops your NET so that it is less than your BMR, then you need to eat back enough calories to get your NET number greater than your BMR value. You shouldn't have to do that very often (or at all) if your TDEE number/activity level was set correctly to begin with. :smile: If you find you are constantly having to eat back calories, then up your activity level and rerun your numbers.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

If your burn is particularly high on any specific day and drops your NET so that it is less than your BMR, then you need to eat back enough calories to get your NET number greater than your BMR value. You shouldn't have to do that very often (or at all) if your TDEE number/activity level was set correctly to begin with. :smile: If you find you are constantly having to eat back calories, then up your activity level and rerun your numbers.

ok thanks. do you log your workouts?
    I usually never burn more than 500 :)
  • chellebubblz
    chellebubblz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm looking for some help.... I'm 266lbs and want to get down to 224lbs. Now according to MFP I should be eating 1750 cals and have been for the last 3 weeks. I actually find it hard to eat this amount (apart from the weekend when I have some wine) but have lost 4lbs in that time... but this week I lost nothing! Now I'm wondering if I'm eating too little and going into starvation mode! I put my details into scoobys site and it said my BMR is 2385 and my TDEE is 3279. Would I be right in saying that I should be eating 2600 calories (-20%)? Thats 1000 more than I currently eat so I'm a bit apprehensive about doing this...

Thanks for any help.

Al

This is exactly my question. As my TDEE-15% is 2436 while my MFP has me at 1360, that's quite a difference. And 2400 calories is ALOT to try to eat....
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I joined MFP in the beginning of May when I got my iPhone. At the time, I was 148 pounds and wanted to get to 145, so it had me netting 1640 calories. I work out daily, between 50-70 minutes - usually the elliptical (last fall I had stress fractures in my feet from running, so I'm nervous to do anything too high impact), but also incline walking on the treadmill and some light lifting (probably once every two weeks on average- really need to get better at this). Anyways, I'd put my exercise calories back in (which range from 650-860) so I've been eating a steady 2200-2400. I got on the scale a couple weeks ago, during my period, and weighed 152.8 pounds. I was freaked out but immediately blamed it on water retention and bloat. Yesterday morning, though, I got on the scale and weighed 153.8 and had a slight meltdown - and then found this group.

On the scooby calculator website, it says my BMR is 1538 (I'm 5'10). I put my weight in at 154 pounds and it said my TDEE is 2654, and my TDEE -15% is 2256, when I put in 5-6 hours/week of strenuous exercise. Lately - especially since the initial time I saw the weight gain - I've been working out over an hour a day, so in the next category up, 7-21 hours, my TDEE is 2923 and my cut value is 2485.

On fitness frog, putting 'moderate' makes my TDEE 2385, putting heavy exercise makes it 2655, and daily exercise is 2924 (very similar to the Scooby site). I guess I'm just concerned because I've been eating 2200-2400 all month and have gained 6 pounds - and my clothes are tight and uncomfortable, so I thought I was eating too much and was getting ready to cut back on calories before I found this group. I'm afraid to up my calories even more if eating 2200-2400 has made me gain so much. I did see the thread about 'what to expect', but it's been about 5 weeks and I'm afraid I'm going to keep gaining and gaining.

Any suggestions on which number I should go by? Right now I'm working out an hour a day, rotating through different programs on the elliptical and switching up the resistance. But I'm running a 5k next weekend, so I'll technically only be doing 1/2 hour of exercise that day, which makes me nervous to eat at the highest TDEE cut level - unless I go to the gym later that day. Except I also understand that even on days you don't work out you're supposed to eat at the cut level - but if I'm eating at the cut level for 'daily exercise' does that mean I don't get rest days/don't get/need to eat that much if I take a rest day?
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ...anybody? :)
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Thanks for any help.

Al

This is exactly my question. As my TDEE-15% is 2436 while my MFP has me at 1360, that's quite a difference. And 2400 calories is ALOT to try to eat....

same here.

MFP has me at 1870, but that scooby site says i should be 2996. more than 1000 more.

Im not understanding any of this.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Thanks for any help.

Al

same here.

MFP has me at 1870, but that scooby site says i should be 2996. more than 1000 more.

Hi MMReed, take a moment to check out the vid on what is TDEE and bmr. It sometimes help hearing it. The link to all the vids is in the stick but I will go get it for ya.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Thanks for any help.

Al

same here.

Hi MMReed, take a moment to check out the vid on what is TDEE and bmr. It sometimes help hearing it. The link to all the vids is in the stick but I will go get it for ya.

Ok hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=mhee

The link to all, start with what is TDEE and bmr.

Lucia
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi all! I joined MFP in the beginning of May when I got my iPhone. At the time, I was 148 pounds and wanted to get to 145, so it had me netting 1640 calories. I work out daily, between 50-70 minutes - usually the elliptical (last fall I had stress fractures in my feet from running, so I'm nervous to do anything too high impact), but also incline walking on the treadmill and some light lifting (probably once every two weeks on average- really need to get better at this). Anyways, I'd put my exercise calories back in (which range from 650-860) so I've been eating a steady 2200-2400. I got on the scale a couple weeks ago, during my period, and weighed 152.8 pounds. I was freaked out but immediately blamed it on water retention and bloat. Yesterday morning, though, I got on the scale and weighed 153.8 and had a slight meltdown - and then found this group.

On the scooby calculator website, it says my BMR is 1538 (I'm 5'10). I put my weight in at 154 pounds and it said my TDEE is 2654, and my TDEE -15% is 2256, when I put in 5-6 hours/week of strenuous exercise. Lately - especially since the initial time I saw the weight gain - I've been working out over an hour a day, so in the next category up, 7-21 hours, my TDEE is 2923 and my cut value is 2485.

On fitness frog, putting 'moderate' makes my TDEE 2385, putting heavy exercise makes it 2655, and daily exercise is 2924 (very similar to the Scooby site). I guess I'm just concerned because I've been eating 2200-2400 all month and have gained 6 pounds - and my clothes are tight and uncomfortable, so I thought I was eating too much and was getting ready to cut back on calories before I found this group. I'm afraid to up my calories even more if eating 2200-2400 has made me gain so much. I did see the thread about 'what to expect', but it's been about 5 weeks and I'm afraid I'm going to keep gaining and gaining.

Any suggestions on which number I should go by? Right now I'm working out an hour a day, rotating through different programs on the elliptical and switching up the resistance. But I'm running a 5k next weekend, so I'll technically only be doing 1/2 hour of exercise that day, which makes me nervous to eat at the highest TDEE cut level - unless I go to the gym later that day. Except I also understand that even on days you don't work out you're supposed to eat at the cut level - but if I'm eating at the cut level for 'daily exercise' does that mean I don't get rest days/don't get/need to eat that much if I take a rest day?

Hi there you must watch this video...it will help you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktemRvtJ3UA

I would say do this all the way, use the scooby calc with your true activity hours selected and eat the 15% cut. You could always cut back cardio a little and really focus on a good strength training program.
    Lucia
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just when I think I understand.... I read someone else's post and get confused again. So here is the info I've gathered... can someone point me into the right direction from here?? Thanks in advance. I've been at a stand still forever and am getting sooooo frustrated!!!!

1696 BMR
    2629 TDEE
    2235 15% of my TDEE

When I work out which is usually 5 days a week, I jog/walk, do dvds like zumba or biggest loser, or I have been dabbling in BodyRock online which is usually only 12-20 mins of hardcore "lifting" body weight and weights. Not usually more than 500 cals burned per day.

So... if I have this straight... I should eat 2235 cals a day? If I go over 539 cals burned, I should eat back the difference? I am set at 1520 cals now. I keep hearing about this working so well and everyone that is happy doing it and would love to try it! I just want to make sure I'm not eating the wrong right off the bat:)
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OK - I've been eating my TDEE-20 for several weeks now. Only a .5 lb drop. Really frustrated as I've been on this plateau for 3 years now. Can't move past 170 - flucuate +/- 3 pounds in any given month.

I am 65 inches, weigh 171 right now. Get 4-7 hours of moderate intensity exercise each week. Work a desk job. Scooby numbers:

BMR - 1453
    TDEE - 2253
    Calories - 1802

Currently eating 1700 - 1800 calories per day. Eating 5 x per day. This is an increase from 1200 -1350 per day for over 2 years.

Any suggestions?
  • jyska
    Options
    Just when I think I understand.... I read someone else's post and get confused again. So here is the info I've gathered... can someone point me into the right direction from here?? Thanks in advance. I've been at a stand still forever and am getting sooooo frustrated!!!!

1696 BMR
    2629 TDEE
    2235 15% of my TDEE

When I work out which is usually 5 days a week, I jog/walk, do dvds like zumba or biggest loser, or I have been dabbling in BodyRock online which is usually only 12-20 mins of hardcore "lifting" body weight and weights. Not usually more than 500 cals burned per day.

So... if I have this straight... I should eat 2235 cals a day? If I go over 539 cals burned, I should eat back the difference? I am set at 1520 cals now. I keep hearing about this working so well and everyone that is happy doing it and would love to try it! I just want to make sure I'm not eating the wrong right off the bat:)

sounds good to me! Just keep your Net above BMR. :happy:
  • jyska
    Options
    OK - I've been eating my TDEE-20 for several weeks now. Only a .5 lb drop. Really frustrated as I've been on this plateau for 3 years now. Can't move past 170 - flucuate +/- 3 pounds in any given month.

I am 65 inches, weigh 171 right now. Get 4-7 hours of moderate intensity exercise each week. Work a desk job. Scooby numbers:

BMR - 1453
    TDEE - 2253
    Calories - 1802

Currently eating 1700 - 1800 calories per day. Eating 5 x per day. This is an increase from 1200 -1350 per day for over 2 years.

Any suggestions?

We don't usually recommend tdee - 20% as it can produce too high of a deficit for some people and slow down progress...you may want to use tdee - 15% instead.