Replies

• kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    new thread bump :)
  • chrmdone1980
    chrmdone1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i am so new to message board lingo - what does this mean??

• hollydohrman
    hollydohrman Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Clarifying question. When you need to eat additional calories to bring your net above your BMR how much more do you eat? Do you eat to net exactly your BMR or do you eat enough to bring you 100 - 200 calories over BMR? Is there a magic number or is it preference?
  • kblue2007
    Options
    i am so new to message board lingo - what does this mean??

The topic started a new thread because the other one was full, so I bumped to keep it in my topics!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Clarifying question. When you need to eat additional calories to bring your net above your BMR how much more do you eat? Do you eat to net exactly your BMR or do you eat enough to bring you 100 - 200 calories over BMR? Is there a magic number or is it preference?

I try to eat exactly net of my BMR, but if I'm still hungry I'll eat over, usually no more than 100-200. Don't think there is a magic number you just have to figure out what keeps your body happy I suppose!
  • hollydohrman
    hollydohrman Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate the feedback.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    on the website I got the following calculations.

BMR 2159
    TDEE 3346
    lose fat 15% cal reduction 2844

What do I use on non-workout days? on Cardio days? i havent really started with weights yet.

MFP calculations have me at 1650 daily

I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and have been struggling for what seems like forever to get this weight off. I have tried the not eating thing - i am willing to try eating more to see if that works. Please help

Hi there, you would eat your cut amount of 2844 every single day. :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

I think it's personal preference, but you should try to listen to your body. If you're just netting your BMR and you are starving, then eat a little more.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    new thread bump
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So, been eating 20% below my TDEE for a couple weeks now. No changes from the previous level of 1350. Except that I feel stuffed all the time. Blech. When I first made the change, my body reacted with extreme hunger and thirst. It's leveled off some, except for that feeling of being stuffed all the time....
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    So, been eating 20% below my TDEE for a couple weeks now. No changes from the previous level of 1350. Except that I feel stuffed all the time. Blech. When I first made the change, my body reacted with extreme hunger and thirst. It's leveled off some, except for that feeling of being stuffed all the time....

Hey! So you havent lost or gained anything when you upped your calories? Thats a good sign, if you were getting too many calories you would be gaining weight :)

What are you number right now? and how many days a week are you exercising (what type).

Mike
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Think of it this way...if you never got out of bed, you would need exactly your BMR number to support your basic body functions. Now, since I'm sure you did more than your workout and lay in bed (such as making a meal, brushing your teeth, showering, walking around the house, etc, etc, etc) you need calories to fuel those things too. So, don't be afraid to eat enough to get your calories a little over BMR when it drops too low. Personally I aim for about 100 - 200 more, but feel it out according to how much room you have between your tdee cut (or tdee if you are resetting) and your BMR number and find somewhere in between there that you feel is sufficient.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    UPdate...

Okay, I BUMBED my calories and I feel awesome!!! I have also lost almost 9pds. Now, TOM was
    also visiting but not a 9pd visit. I will continue to keep my calories up and see how it goes! To confirm, should we also recalculate our TDEE every 5pds? I did this since my weight loss and my TDEE has gone down by 40 cals a day....not sure if this is right!!! I'm loving this eating!!!!!!

Response from Jyska
    Yes, recalculate every 5lbs. :smile: Glad to hear you are doing so AWESOMELY!
  • chrmdone1980
    chrmdone1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i have to say that upping my cals has made me feel better during my workout. I can definitely tell that i had more energy does anyone know how accurate the calories burned calculator is on here? i seemed to have burned alot of calories during zumba :)
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    i have to say that upping my cals has made me feel better during my workout. I can definitely tell that i had more energy does anyone know how accurate the calories burned calculator is on here? i seemed to have burned alot of calories during zumba :)

Its great aint it?

I love just destroying the weights and feeling like the Hulk afterwards. Its nice...
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Are you to add 10% for digestion to TDEE then 15% cut?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Are you to add 10% for digestion to TDEE then 15% cut?

Hello!

If you are using the scooby calc, you do not as its already factored in :)

Thanks,
  • 50ishFoodie
    Options
    Mike - I average 6 -7 hours of exercise a week. At least half cardio - spinning, walking, run/walk intervals, elliptical, swimming, and Zumba - like to mix it up. I do weights 2 x week plus 1-2 hours of yoga.
  • 50ishFoodie
    Options

Hey! So you havent lost or gained anything when you upped your calories? Thats a good sign, if you were getting too many calories you would be gaining weight :)

What are you number right now? and how many days a week are you exercising (what type).

Mike
    I'm shooting for 1750 calories a day. It's hard to do (unless I eat crap)! Even eating something 5 x a day! That includes 2 protein shakes, or one shake and one bar/cookie.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Mike - I average 6 -7 hours of exercise a week. At least half cardio - spinning, walking, run/walk intervals, elliptical, swimming, and Zumba - like to mix it up. I do weights 2 x week plus 1-2 hours of yoga.

Whoa thats a lot of exercise!

You are definitely not in the moderate category, but the very active category for sure! You may want to recalculate so you can properly feed the metabolism! :)