TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• ChrisNewmark
    Options
    Thank you! That is great advice. I usually use Sunday's b/c it's my rest day, but I think I will make sure I workout on that day as well to help offset the calories. In the past I've been eating 1200 calories and then binging on Sundays and then I would feel miserable all day long. My stomach hurt to the point of almost throwing up and I spend lots of time in the bathroom (tmi)....it's just not worth it..
    But I am only on day #4 of eating more to lose weight and I feel great. I dont feel deprieved anymore, I eat and am full 99% of the time. I gained 3 pounds in the first 3 days but today I snuck a peak and I was back down to within .2 of Monday's weight when I started. Thank you for all of your help and support. This process is so much easier with awesome people like you who take the time to help us "newbies" :)
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Alright, ready to get this started today! Still nervous because it's SO different, but I'm really excited.

I'll be eating my TDEE of 2270 for 8 weeks. I was planning on cutting 10-15% at that point, but it sounds like I could expect to begin losing before then - as long as I keep my activity up and an eye on my macros. This seems too good to be true!

I'm excited about my WLJ for the first time in a LONG time. Thank you everyone!
  • ttomlinson
    ttomlinson Posts: 22
    Options
    I AM GOING TO START DOING THIS TODAY AND I PRAY I GET THE RESULTS OTHERS ARE GETTING.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That is great advice. I usually use Sunday's b/c it's my rest day, but I think I will make sure I workout on that day as well to help offset the calories. In the past I've been eating 1200 calories and then binging on Sundays and then I would feel miserable all day long. My stomach hurt to the point of almost throwing up and I spend lots of time in the bathroom (tmi)....it's just not worth it..
    But I am only on day #4 of eating more to lose weight and I feel great. I dont feel deprieved anymore, I eat and am full 99% of the time. I gained 3 pounds in the first 3 days but today I snuck a peak and I was back down to within .2 of Monday's weight when I started. Thank you for all of your help and support. This process is so much easier with awesome people like you who take the time to help us "newbies" :)

:-) You will soon see, that binging is a thing of the past...don't get me wrong you may eat a little more, but no "throwing up" business...lol.
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options

:-) You will soon see, that binging is a thing of the past...don't get me wrong you may eat a little more, but no "throwing up" business...lol.

LOL :) I never actually threw up, just felt like crap from all the sugar and calories. :) thanks again!
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Weight: 153
    BMR: 1506
    TDEE: 2334
    Daily Calories given by http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/- 1867

My worries are that my excersices aren't what I think they are. On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I am in the 1st stage of NROLFW. On Tue and Thur I do Zumba or go for a brisk walk/jog.

How should I be eating on these days.

I started in April eating 1200cals then bumbed up to 1300/1400. I am now at 1500 and try to eat back exercise cals. I have only lost about 3 lbs that fluctuate up and down and I am getting very frustrated. HELP :)
  • lrcross
    lrcross Posts: 42
    Options
    I have studies this post and the numbers for two days now, and I think I am getting to an understanding...but have a question or two, or three. I have entered my info on Scooby's page and my numbers are very high! Since I am just beginning this journey as heavy person, I have hit my plateau. My MFP allowance currently is 1670 cal/day. Per Scooby's site, my numbers are:

BMR=2077
    TDEE=3583
    Cut (20%)=2867

I do cardio (swimming and walking) 5 to 6 days a week and some weight training 2 days a week. On my main swim days (Su, M, T, W, Sa), I can burn in excess of 1800+ calories/day...how does that affect my numbers (bottom line)? Must I eat the difference to see some loss?

Still learning and I do not want to stay in plateau after 4 weeks of weight loss.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Are most of the people who experience success upping their calories running and/or lifting heavy? I don't have access to a gym and can't run b/c of joint issues, but I do walk 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week and add in 1 or 2 dvds using hand weights.

Is mine light activity or moderate? From what I'm reading it sounds as if most in this group run and heavy lift and would be at moderate or above activity, so I wonder if my activity level should be light?
  • LadyMorganna
    LadyMorganna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am so confused! I went from 185lbs (5'4) to 166lbs just doing cardio for 60min a day 6 days a week, as well as lifting weights for about 15 min. I do upper body one day, and lower body the next. Then I stopped losing. So a friend told me about MFP, I have been doing 1200 calories, but my net has alwasy been in the neg (-). I lost 6 lbs in 4 days. I have now put the 6 lbs back on!!! (even tho I am only eating 1200 calories and doing 60 min of cardio! MFP says I burn 653 calories, my elliptical says I do 1300 calories. Not sure which is right! my elliptical is the least expensive one there is, you don't enter any info like weight or anything.) :( I have since been told that I need to have net = +1200 calories. I did my BMR @ fitnessfrog.com, it is 1540. My TDEE is 2657 (I picked the one that said I exercise 6-7 days a week, because I do.) I am a stay at home Mom, but I walk or bike the kids to and from school. I clean the house, and we have a pool that I clean daily as well. I do tend to stay busy. I have decided to up my calories so that my Net = 1200. It is really hard!! as of today I still have 443 calories I would need to eat to get my net to be 1200. I am so full!!! I really need some help! my name on MFP is "ladymorganna". Please someone help me! My goal is 130lbs.
  • kooshajan
    kooshajan Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I enjoy the whole concept of eating more to lose but I can't wrapt head around it!
    My bodybugg says I burn 2000-2100 on days I don't exercise and days I do exercise I burn 300-500 cals via biking or walking making my tdee 2400-2500. My bmr is calculated between 1550 to 1620 on this site and others. My net cals used to be 1320 but I upped them to 1590 which I've been eating on non workout days and on the days I do workout I eat half of my exercise cals back making my total eaten arounfld 1700-1800.

What the heck am I supposed to be eating? I am 50lbs overweight losing 50 will put me in the healthy range for my height but I could lose more (5ft3 190lbs)and really need to start losing!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I am so confused! I went from 185lbs (5'4) to 166lbs just doing cardio for 60min a day 6 days a week, as well as lifting weights for about 15 min. I do upper body one day, and lower body the next. Then I stopped losing. So a friend told me about MFP, I have been doing 1200 calories, but my net has alwasy been in the neg (-). I lost 6 lbs in 4 days. I have now put the 6 lbs back on!!! (even tho I am only eating 1200 calories and doing 60 min of cardio! MFP says I burn 653 calories, my elliptical says I do 1300 calories. Not sure which is right! my elliptical is the least expensive one there is, you don't enter any info like weight or anything.) :( I have since been told that I need to have net = +1200 calories. I did my BMR @ fitnessfrog.com, it is 1540. My TDEE is 2657 (I picked the one that said I exercise 6-7 days a week, because I do.) I am a stay at home Mom, but I walk or bike the kids to and from school. I clean the house, and we have a pool that I clean daily as well. I do tend to stay busy. I have decided to up my calories so that my Net = 1200. It is really hard!! as of today I still have 443 calories I would need to eat to get my net to be 1200. I am so full!!! I really need some help! my name on MFP is "ladymorganna". Please someone help me! My goal is 130lbs.

Hi there yes it is difficult when you have grown accustomed to eating few calories but it does get easier. For you to truly benefit you must net at least your bmr and work your way up to consistently eating your tdee- 15%.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Are most of the people who experience success upping their calories running and/or lifting heavy? I don't have access to a gym and can't run b/c of joint issues, but I do walk 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week and add in 1 or 2 dvds using hand weights.

Is mine light activity or moderate? From what I'm reading it sounds as if most in this group run and heavy lift and would be at moderate or above activity, so I wonder if my activity level should be light?

This method is for anyone. It is all about the numbers...a caloric deficit equals weightloss. Select light activity and and cut 15% from your tdee. Be consistent andeat it daily.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I have studies this post and the numbers for two days now, and I think I am getting to an understanding...but have a question or two, or three. I have entered my info on Scooby's page and my numbers are very high! Since I am just beginning this journey as heavy person, I have hit my plateau. My MFP allowance currently is 1670 cal/day. Per Scooby's site, my numbers are:

BMR=2077
    TDEE=3583
    Cut (20%)=2867

I do cardio (swimming and walking) 5 to 6 days a week and some weight training 2 days a week. On my main swim days (Su, M, T, W, Sa), I can burn in excess of 1800+ calories/day...how does that affect my numbers (bottom line)? Must I eat the difference to see some loss?

Still learning and I do not want to stay in plateau after 4 weeks of weight loss.

HI there, well lots of cardio means a whole lot of eating. I'd suggest cutting only 15% from your tdee and makijng sure you net at least your bmr on high burn days. Input your cut valuse in your mfp goals and when you exercise you will make sure to enter it and check your homepage to make sure your net calories is at least bmr.

Is there anyway to increase your lifting? Maybe replace a day of cardio with it? Just a thought.:flowerforyou:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Weight: 153
    BMR: 1506
    TDEE: 2334
    Daily Calories given by http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/- 1867

My worries are that my excersices aren't what I think they are. On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I am in the 1st stage of NROLFW. On Tue and Thur I do Zumba or go for a brisk walk/jog.

How should I be eating on these days.

I started in April eating 1200cals then bumbed up to 1300/1400. I am now at 1500 and try to eat back exercise cals. I have only lost about 3 lbs that fluctuate up and down and I am getting very frustrated. HELP :)

Every single day eat your cut value.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump :devil:
  • Hollie704
    Hollie704 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey, I started by just modifying my diet and consuming 1,200 calories a day and increasing my activity (taking the stairs, parking farther away, etc.), and I dropped five pounds in just three weeks. When I started my fitness program, I assumed the weight would come off faster. I was disappointed to see that I was just bouncing around 3 – 4 pounds and feeling so fatigued all the time. I was getting frustrated. Then I came across the Eat More, Weigh Less group.

I have to admit, I was scared to up my calorie count. But, I figured that I would give it a try. So I did the calculations for myself:

BMR 1,341
    TDEE 2,078
    Calorie Cut 1,766

On non-workout days, I eat 1,750 calories. On lift days, I eat 1,950 calories. And on cardio days, I eat at least my BMR in net calories of 1,340.

During the week, I work out on my lunch hour, so I’m limited on time. Before, I was doing some cardio on my lift days, which meant I was only lifting for about 20 minutes. After reading your post and watching your videos, I decided to cut back on cardio and give myself more time to lift weights. So now I lift weights 3 – 4 days a week for 45 minutes, and do cardio and core work 3 days a week for 40 minutes.

I immediately noticed a change in my energy level. I had prepared myself for the scale to go back up, and I was fine with that, knowing it would change after awhile. But actually, I have been steadily losing a little bit each day over the past few days of making these changes. I hope it keeps going in that direction. I believe my body is so thankful to be getting the fuel it needs, and I have the stamina to work out harder.

I do have a couple questions:
    • As I lose weight, do I need to recalculate the information every few pounds and adjust? Or just go by if I’m losing or stalling, and then automatically bump up my calories.
    • I am using the percentages for the protein, carbs and fats you recommended. However, I notice I go way over with my carbs and have trouble getting enough protein. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies, and those carbs add up, and I eat tuna and meat for protein. Do you have some ideas for foods and snacks I can eat to up my protein and lower my carbs?

I’m so happy I came across this group, thank you for the info!
  • lrcross
    lrcross Posts: 42
    Options

BMR=2077
    TDEE=3583
    Cut (20%)=2867

HI there, well lots of cardio means a whole lot of eating. I'd suggest cutting only 15% from your tdee and makijng sure you net at least your bmr on high burn days. Input your cut valuse in your mfp goals and when you exercise you will make sure to enter it and check your homepage to make sure your net calories is at least bmr.

Is there anyway to increase your lifting? Maybe replace a day of cardio with it? Just a thought.:flowerforyou:

First I must say @ANewLucia, you are a GREAT help!

I changed the cut to -15% and the number is 3046 calories. I will consider adding another day of lifting and add some basic lifting (hand weights) at home.

Tonight I am going to change my mfp numbers to see how it looks (number-wise) on one of my big burn days tomorrow (Sat.)...it will further help my manage.

Again, thank you for ALL the help...! :o)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

I do have a couple questions:
    • As I lose weight, do I need to recalculate the information every few pounds and adjust? Or just go by if I’m losing or stalling, and then automatically bump up my calories.
    • I am using the percentages for the protein, carbs and fats you recommended. However, I notice I go way over with my carbs and have trouble getting enough protein. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies, and those carbs add up, and I eat tuna and meat for protein. Do you have some ideas for foods and snacks I can eat to up my protein and lower my carbs?

Yes, recalculate whenever age, activity level, or weight changes (by 5 lbs)

Typically if my fats are too low, then my carbs are too high, then I don't hit my protein. So you may want to make sure you are getting in some good fats as well. Fats give the similar satiety factor as carbs. So if you can find proteins that also have good fats, it helps a bit. Like eggs, nut butters, or just nuts, or adding flaxseeds or flavored fish oils (I love the smoothie flavored ones) to your smoothies. If you do protein shakes, mix them with milk to up the protein factor. Greek yogurt is great too, whether you like flavored kinds, or use it plain in place of sour cream, like I do, lol..

I try to basically have equal amounts of carb and protein at every meal. Even when I buy something packaged, I check to make sure there's not a huge difference in the carb/protein ratio.

My fam has fell in love with Nature's Valley's new "protein" bars. They're like 10g protein, and the carbs are moderate. & yummy!

I also notice that my breakfast sets the stage for where my carbs will end up. If I start off balanced, like egg burrito (good carbs,protein, and fat) I'll stay balanced all day. But if I start off in the "rear" like muffins (mostly carb), then I stay behind all day.

Don't know if that helps you at all, but I say, try to plan ahead if possible, focus on hitting your protein and fats first, then let the carbs fall where they may :wink:

Kiki
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    So glad to be here!!!!
    I've been researcing and studying this for days....
    I started lifting too...
    It's hard to rap my mind around but, i'm so excited! I weight 212 so my
    BMR = 1706
    TDEE = 2644
    15% cut = 2247

So I eat 2247 on workout days...
    and on non workout days i eat 2047?
    and eat back my burned calories from cardio to net my bmr of 1706?

Please help if I got this all jacked up! lol
    cuz, omg that's a lot of food and i'm not use to it... that's the point i guess ...i'm use to starving!?! Bad! Bad starving! No More!