Football: Putting Bounties on players

Options
13»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Players are already punished for hits that are deemed illegal or too violent both on the field and in the wallet (ask James Harrison and Ndumakong Suh). The fines that they are docked with far outstrip ANY bounties even contemplated - including the $10,000 one offered by Vilma. So let's not pretend that they are being paid bounties that would counteract the already in place rules and deterrents. Does anyone really think that winning $1,000 is going to motivate someone to risk at minumum a $10,000 fine or at worst a suspension that will cost the player hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Huge hits are celebrated by every sports outlet on earth. Have any of you ever watched ESPN?

The amounts talked about here are so miniscule. It would be like us pooling our money and offering $20 for the meanest post. Would that $20 be much if the post that won it got the winner booted from the forums?

Now, I know, we're talking about people getting hurt, but people get hurt playing football. It's a violent game. With or without bounties. Some of the most successful defensive players of all time have acknowledged that their midset when they hit someone is to destroy them. With or without bounties.

Did Jack Tatum need bounties? Jack Lambert? Lawrence Taylor? Ray Nitzchke?

If the amounts of money being discussed was substantial enough to insulate a player from any penalties that might otherwise result from an illegal hit, THEN I would agree that there was a problem. As it is I see this as nothing but hand-wringing.

Again a fair point, and I knew the value of the bounty would come into it. One problem I see is that Professional sports teams are seen as role models (which I don't agree with, but that's just how it is). The fact hat they were doing that and successful and it got out is problematic. It's the message that concerns me, not the dollar amount. I don't think coaching staff should encourage players to hurt the opponent. If it's 'blow through him to achieve your goal' fine, but that's different than 'blow through him just because'. There's a fine difference there, but to me it's important.

Also people with plenty of money do stupid things for a lot less, look at Michael Vick (though to be fair he was in financial trouble when that happened, I'm just saying he jeopardized his largest income source for a whole lot less money).

Do I think it's a huge issue that deserves the full attention of congress because it's killing America? No. But I don't think it's a 'good' thing.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    One problem I see is that Professional sports teams are seen as role models (which I don't agree with, but that's just how it is).

Seen as role models by whom?

Professional sports teams were never my role models. I enjoyed watching them, but they were never my role models nor will they be the role models of my children.

Yes, I am quibbling a bit over the semantics of the words here, but that's me.

Bounty systems are in place all over the country even as we speak, however, the mere attention this has drawn and the condemnation on all sides is enough to push it out from happening with pretty much any team. Parents will be at school meetings asking if it is going on at their schools (probably not the parents of athletes, but no matter). Professional organizations will look to police themselves in the wake of what is assuredly going to be draconian penalties issued by the NFL commisioner.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it and find it no different than any other form of merit based bonus program set up among peers.

I believe that the attention and aftermath will ensure that no one dares to get involved in any sort of organized version of this anytime soon at any level.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    One problem I see is that Professional sports teams are seen as role models (which I don't agree with, but that's just how it is).

Seen as role models by whom?

Professional sports teams were never my role models. I enjoyed watching them, but they were never my role models nor will they be the role models of my children.

Yes, I am quibbling a bit over the semantics of the words here, but that's me.

Bounty systems are in place all over the country even as we speak, however, the mere attention this has drawn and the condemnation on all sides is enough to push it out from happening with pretty much any team. Parents will be at school meetings asking if it is going on at their schools (probably not the parents of athletes, but no matter). Professional organizations will look to police themselves in the wake of what is assuredly going to be draconian penalties issued by the NFL commisioner.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it and find it no different than any other form of merit based bonus program set up among peers.

I believe that the attention and aftermath will ensure that no one dares to get involved in any sort of organized version of this anytime soon at any level.

Again, I don't think it's right, but I think many kids these days try to be like pro athletes, hence role models.

I do think the blowback is going to be severe, and will likely stop anything like this for a while to come.

I think the only point we disagree on is that I don't think it's like other forms of merit based pay. I think if the payout was for sacks or tackles or interceptions it would be different. Making the bonus revolve around injuries of opponents rather than advancement of team goals is the problem in my eyes.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options