Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    I think I have finally got this TDEE/daily calorie goal stuff figured out. I'm officially setting my calorie goal tomorrow for 1800. I have had my goal set at 1600 for a week, and with eating my exercise cals back I've been averaging about that much already. So... I'm gonna do it. :)

That is great!
  • Saskenn
    Saskenn Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks for this, I really needed it. Although it all made sense, I was started to become frustrated with the scale, however, I decided to stick this out because I know it makes sense. I'm gonna put the scale away for a while and just stick with the plan
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Bump
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Bump to read later. Thanks
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    I'm thinking about trying this. I have realised by joining MFP that I'm maybe not eating enough? The goal set by MFP is 1300 calories, which is supposed to be a reduction of 500 calories - yet I've managed to hit 1300 cals (net) once in a week, the rest of the time I've been under - and I've put on weight this week! This isn't a diet this is just what I normally eat. I walk 6km a day to work (round trip) swim twice a week (currently about 30 x 25m per session), dance once a week and have now started going to the gym on my lunch hour three times a week, so I am eating more calories than 1300, but the exercise obviously up's the requirement and I don't seem to reach that amount. My weight is fairly stable, but I'm not sure I need to eat less or exercise more! This is starting to sound like a more sensible approach.....
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Ok. Almost two weeks now and I KNOW war to expect (thanks Lucia) but my inner voice I panicking a little. I'm up 1 lb and I'm so nervous that my body I abnormal and I won't lose this way. It's like it's too good to be true. I will persist. I will keep nurturing my body with several small healthy meals to a total of 1800 cals per day (or as close as possible, min amt is my BMR of 1560). Gotta hang in there!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Hang in there, Naonah!

Just think, what if you were at your goal right now, and wanted to return to "regular" maintenance eating? It would be the same process. If you are not at maintenance, the gain is not "real," just an adjustment. It is quite the storm, and you will have to ride out the wave, but calmer waters are ahead. ;)

I know it's hard, girl, but keep your head up...
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Thanks for posting this.

I also got the same ideas when I recently got the same book (New Rules of Lifting for Women), and my eyes jumped out when I read the author's list of "signs you may not be eating enough" and saw that two of the items he listed were 1) amenorrhea (I haven't had my period since mid-January), and 2) feeling cold after eating. I'll admit it's scary but everyday I'm coming around to the idea that more food does not necessarily = weight gain.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    This post is wonderful! I shared it with many friends that are finally going to take the "plunge" and eat more! They all found it very helpful :wink:
  • Thanks for this! I'm in recovery from an eating disorder, and it was hard for me to go from 200 calories a day to 1200 calories a day! And then yesterday, I moved up to 1400! Hopefully, soon, I'll be able to have a healthy amount of calories for my weight and height, and this has definitely inspired me! Thanks so much(:
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    wow, thats made more sence why i have gained on my 1st week, ill carry on, i just paniced when i weighed in this morning, thanx.x :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    I am definitely going to read your blog that you provided the link to. Yes you are very eloquently made the case for sticking it out. I feel my self getting emotional now that I found this group. I have felt alone upping my calories for one. When you see all these people losing weight on little calories while you are upping yours it makes you feel like you are copping out instead of hlding true to your conclusion that this is the healthy way to lose. I have started upping my calories a few weeks ago but I have taken it a step at a time. I have just formulated in my mind my current problem. How do you find maintenance calories for yourself when you have been "maintaining" on less than maintenance calories. I went up to 1600 1st and I found that I lost my highs and my lows. I went up another hundred and this process of settling on a weight and not gaining and losing the same pounds continued. However I felt I need to reset my metabolism not just find a more reasonable deficit to lose at. So I calculated my maintenance and went up and I saw one of my old highs again and that was scary. Reading more I recalculated and went down just a bit but still up from the 1st two settings by 200. My calorie goal is set at 1900. I was just going to see what it says about BMR and TDEE hear and I saw this thread at the top. I can't believe how much time I am spending on this whole thing. I can't believe I am in the this position. I only wanted to lose a pound a week which is suppose to be healthy. However the 1 pound a week setting on here I think was too low but I mistakenly decided it was too high since I am older. I think it was too low since I had already been exercising and I had so much to lose. I am in my 3rd week and it seems I have more to learn but I hope now I won't feel so alone. I have been reading some threads that have been mentioned here but it still feels like I am the only one once I am not checking out the latest post.
  • smurfee11
    smurfee11 Posts: 33
    Ok so if my bmr in 1294 and my tdee is 2006 i should am for 15% less =1700 calories a day and just never go below my bmr? I have been told like many that to beat this stall lower my cals. Ive already tried 1200 with cardio and i just was dead. I just cant imagine eating average 1700?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Ok so if my bmr in 1294 and my tdee is 2006 i should am for 15% less =1700 calories a day and just never go below my bmr? I have been told like many that to beat this stall lower my cals. Ive already tried 1200 with cardio and i just was dead. I just cant imagine eating average 1700?

That is exactly correct. You should never eat below BMR...you are not giving the body enough to just breath...it slows your metabolism way down. You will be amazed, fueling will revv up the metabolism and get you losing again. Make sure to read what to expect when upping calories...it is at the top of the topic list on this forum.
  • smurfee11
    smurfee11 Posts: 33
    Great, changed my mfp settings... been at this weight for 4 months with no change!! :)
  • araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    thanks
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    I did write this on another board but haven't had a response and not sure I posted it correctly:

I have been fascinated reading this thread, but am still a little confused. I am 5ft 3 and weigh 150lbs my goal is 120lbs. not only do I want to lose weight (the healthy safe way) but I want to tone up my wobbly bits and be able to see some muscle definition (but NOT be muscly/bulky I want a soft yet defined body) I currently do at least 30 minutes a day of 30DS (on day 6 of level one) plus at least 2 times a week I will do Zumba for between 20 - 45 minutes plus most evenings I do some work on my arms with weights (only 2.5lbs weights) plus ab work. I have been fighting with the same 2-3lbs for the past few months now, so need a kick start, and thought this may help IF I know what to do properly.

MFP puts me at 1200 a day, but when I work out my BMR is states 1360. I have also worked out my TDEE I was not sure what activness to put as Mon - Fri I am sitting at a desk all day, so I worked it out for little or no exercise and that was 1743 (*0.8) 1394, light exercise was 1990 (*0.8) 1592 and moderate was 2243 (*0.8) 1794.

In all of your opinions what would you recommend I do? Apologies if this is a repeat of what somebody else has asked, I am pretty new here and getting slightly confused lol Jen x
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    I did write this on another board but haven't had a response and not sure I posted it correctly:

I have been fascinated reading this thread, but am still a little confused. I am 5ft 3 and weigh 150lbs my goal is 120lbs. not only do I want to lose weight (the healthy safe way) but I want to tone up my wobbly bits and be able to see some muscle definition (but NOT be muscly/bulky I want a soft yet defined body) I currently do at least 30 minutes a day of 30DS (on day 6 of level one) plus at least 2 times a week I will do Zumba for between 20 - 45 minutes plus most evenings I do some work on my arms with weights (only 2.5lbs weights) plus ab work. I have been fighting with the same 2-3lbs for the past few months now, so need a kick start, and thought this may help IF I know what to do properly.

MFP puts me at 1200 a day, but when I work out my BMR is states 1360. I have also worked out my TDEE I was not sure what activness to put as Mon - Fri I am sitting at a desk all day, so I worked it out for little or no exercise and that was 1743 (*0.8) 1394, light exercise was 1990 (*0.8) 1592 and moderate was 2243 (*0.8) 1794.

In all of your opinions what would you recommend I do? Apologies if this is a repeat of what somebody else has asked, I am pretty new here and getting slightly confused lol Jen x

Hi Jen,

If you're doing 30DS, then I'd pick light or moderate exercise. I think it's better to start higher, and then later, drop if necessary. The reason is because the simple act of eating more will increase your metabolism, as your body has to adapt to higher eating levels the same way it adapted to the lower levels. Then as you re-evaluate, and see how your body is responding, you can either stay where you are (if after a few weeks the scale/measurements begin to cooperate) or you can lower by 100 cals or so, and see if you see movement there. The *raising* of the cals in the first place will cause the *lowering* of them to work again, once the body has stabilized, and is accustomed to higher cals. Plus, you won't have to drop them nearly as low. ;) Your goal is to be able to eat the *highest* amount possible, and still lose. Not the opposite, as we often try to do. This gives you much more leeway on your journey, and as you plateau.

BTW, we are a similar height, and I was the same weight as you, (and now, typically hover around 118-120) so it CAN be done. :flowerforyou:

Hope that answers your question?

Kiki
  • Jenjaz1910
    Thanks for that :) light works out at 1990 then times by 0.8 is 1592 and moderate is 2243 works out as 1794 so I was thinking I could aim for between 1600 & 1700 each day (on my work out days I will use up more??) I usually have a base of 1200 on hereAlso I just looked back on the pasy 8 days food diary and I am a bit confused about the "net" calories For example

Mon: FOOD 1474 net 1316
    Tue: FOOD 1150 net 926
    Wed: FOOD 1263 net 1044
    Thurs: FOOD 1134 Net 901
    Fri: FOOD 1476 net 1257
    Sat: FOOD 1524 net 1524
    Sun: FOOD 1461 net 1149
    Mon: FOOD 1589 net 1149

What says FOOD is what has actually passed my lips but the "NET" is that figure minus the exercise calories, is that correct? If lets say my calorie goal is 1650 a day, is that what I am aiming to get as my "GOAL" calories and NOT my "NET" calories? Get into a bit of a muddle lol x
  • Jenjaz1910

BTW, we are a similar height, and I was the same weight as you, (and now, typically hover around 118-120) so it CAN be done. :flowerforyou:

Hope that answers your question?

Kiki
    Kiki

How long has it taken you to get where you want to be? Or to see a difference! I have NEVER been 120lbs or lower (well I probably was but not since I was a kid lol) I normally get to 136 - 143 but never any lower! x