Starting to Waver on my decision to increase calories.....bu

Options

Replies

• HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I recently (4 or 5 days ago) increased my calories too. I calculated my RMR and TDEE and found that the 1200 that MFP had as my goal was WAY under. My RMR was 1636 and TDEE 2636. I've since upped my daily goal to 1600 and make sure I eat that at a minimum. PLUS I eat back all my burned calories. I am slightly concerned about this new change - but 1200 left me nothing bu hungry and crabby like many others have said. I think we are nervous about it because eating more calories goes against what we've been told by numerous "health experts" - eat less and you will lose weight.

I read this post last night and it made sense to me. Maybe it will help you as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm so sorry that it isn't working, at least not yet. MFP had my calories set at 1250 and just Monday or so I increased to 1450 (baby steps, lol). Well I am down 1.6 pounds this week. I am hoping that this is what works for me, and I hope after another week or so, it works for you too. Crossing my fingers for you!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Are your workouts more, less, or the same intensity as when you were eating lower cals?

How high cal burns are you averaging?

Have you increased water intake AS protein intake has increased?

Have you "gained" any real, lasting weight?

Being up and down the same two lbs is not necessarily cause to panic. It sounds as if your metabolism is stabilizing, which, if by the end of the next two weeks if there are NO changes, essentially means that you have been eating at maintenance, and have undergone a "metabolism repair". Which is good. You will have allowed your body to stabilize at higher levels and become accustomed to the maintenance. Then, if no changes in the scale have occurred, you can SLOWLY lower your cals and be able to see weight drop at *still* a much higher number than 900-1400.

Either way, there is no way to truly know until 4-6wks. It's just impossible to make a call 2.5 wks in (with any thing, be it workout plans, diets, etc.).

My workouts are definitely harder and heavier with the weights, I have lowered the length of my cardio but upped the intensity, gone from 45min incline walking/running 3 miles to 30 min sprint intervals instead....
    My calorie burns have gone from 400 most days ( only cardio) to 250-400 weekdays (incl weights now), weekends I tend to burn 6-900 on each day. Usually 1-2 days off each week.
    I drink approx a gallon of water a day, little less.....I don't bother tracking it all on MFP

The reason that I asked about workout changes is because whenever I up my weights, I hold on to massive amounts of water. Because I lift really heavy, most of the time, the only time that I can get an accurate weigh-in is during a rest week. So whenever you switch programs or up the intensity factor, expect some water weight as your body adjusts. Wait as many days as possible after weight training before trying to obtain a "real" weigh-in. When you lift super heavy, you are essentially tearing your muscle. Because of this your muscles take in water and hold them there while the muscle repairs itself to become bigger and stronger. This is why you can "see" your muscles right after a hard workout. That is what is referred to as "muscle pump." Attempting to weigh yourself while the pump is still there, will set you up for a let down. I often have had a really great workout one day, feel so tight and toned the next day. Then I step on the scale, feeling all good about myself, and walk away depressed. It's sad what that scale can do to us. You'll also notice the dilemma of pants feeling tighter after a good leg workout..again, the pump...

In addition to not weighing after a high sodium day, there are other foods that will affect your weigh in. Carbs hold on to water, so when you have a high carb day, then expect it to show in water weight the next day, if you are not properly hydrated. Broccoli, dairy, wheat, beans, etc. all cause bloating, so keep those in mind as well for days that you are "feeling" bigger and check to see what you've eaten that day. Not that you can't eat things that bloat you, but just be aware, and perform your measurements/weigh-in's accordingly.

It is definitely hard. You will want to give up on this journey, but you should at least give it time. So many of us will stay on low cal diets for most of our lives, yet give up on "eating more" within the first couple of weeks. At least give yourself enough time to let it play out. It would be better to ride this out for 4-6 weeks, feed your body properly, build some good muscle, and see if you lose....than to quit early, not know what would have happened, and take a chance on being back in this same spot a year from now (personal experience) :(
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Here are my comparison/progress photos for the month. I don't see much of a difference really, and there is no difference in weight, about 3" lost.

Mar15front-1.jpg

Mar15side-1.jpg

Mar15back-1.jpg
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I have been eating more protein in the last few weeks than I have EVER eaten in my life, I am running out of sources of it that I can afford. I have a protein powder, but problem is if I drink too much of it I don't feel like eating anything else, or the other 1800 calories I am supposed to eat that day, therefore I try to limit it to 1 shake a day....

I can't afford fish and chicken or meat at every meal, I eat tons of eggs, nuts, shrimp and chobani yogurts...... seems like I can't get enough into me, or if I can, it has too many carbs in it too

I was having this same problem with the cost/carb content issue. I swapped the greek yogurt for cottage cheese and that made a huge difference, yogurt has so much sugar added to it! Don't discount the family packs of chicken, its more up front but saves in the long run. I just split them into single packs and freeze them. I've also found some higher protein bread, added peanut butter-basically I had to start reading labels again. Funny, I could tell you how many calories are in dang near anything I eat but pretty much nothing else about the nutritional content :smile:

Also, I have to say its pretty funny you started this post. I was feeling just this same way thins morning! I'm hitting my 4 week mark Saturday and I'm really starting to worry I'm just not making any progress. I'll tell you I bought a new pair of pants 2 weeks ago that I can't even comfortably put on right now. The bloat issue seems to have hit me late on as I really didn't have a problem with it in the first couple weeks, although I did start a new weight program this week. My weight has ranged over about 6 lbs up and down since I started this so I really feel your pain on that one. I'll post my results on Saturday and hopefully I can provide you (and me) some motivation to stick with it, I did take some before pics so I may even have to rely on that. We shall see....
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    well an update: I have been back and forth with my calories this past weee, just pretty much only eating when I am hungry, eating what I want and tracking it..... still no change...it's been 35 days, for 30 of those days I ate over my BMR, nothing....

Up and down the same 3lbs over and over and over........
  • JoyWoodruff
    JoyWoodruff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but it seems to me that if you weren't losing at the lower cals, and you aren't losing (just bouncing around) at the higher cals, then its not the cals, it must be something else. My reasoning is because if it were the higher cals then you would gain gain gain, no? It sounds like you need to change either your workout routine or the types of foods you are eating. I cannot see your diary but are you staying within the 40 30 30 macros? If not, then that is your problem; if so, then maybe the workouts need to be changed. Just an idea....
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    well an update: I have been back and forth with my calories this past weee, just pretty much only eating when I am hungry, eating what I want and tracking it..... still no change...it's been 35 days, for 30 of those days I ate over my BMR, nothing....

Ok Tabi for me, when I bounced up and down, I needed more cals. Did that at 1200,1350,1500...I lost at 1800 then started bouncing again and went up another 100. It could be that you body needs more fuel. Forgive me I don't recall are you eating tdee -15%?

Like the person above said and I have walked through along with so many others, I did not loose at lower calories and feel good...since you are bouncing you may need more fuel.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Oh, and Lucia , you're pretty much my hero. You're closer in age to me than most (though I'm still 10 years older) and you have the calorie intake and muscle definition I long for! Nice work missy.

Thanks lady! You can do it my friend!
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Ugh... honestly, if I need more calories then why did I ever gain weight ? I never ate more than 2500 on a reg basis, quite honestly, my diet today is pretty much the same as it's always been, little less junk food, but seriously, close enough that there was no need for a extra 80 lbs on me...... so what gives ????
    I have never been a yo-yo dieter over the years, I have never bothered to diet so I don't think my metabolism is damaged or ever was running slowly.... I was not one to eat 700 calories a day and then binge..... I have always eaten, the past 5 yrs lets say, exactly the way I have the past 30 days...

I am 5"4, 41yrs old & small boned, I can not eat 2500 calories a day and expect to lose weight.

Why is it that every personal trainer, every medical professional I talk to tell me it's absolutely nuts to think someone like me can eat over 2000 calories every day and expect to lose weight. One of my best friends is a surgeon, she said when they put people on liquid diets after they have surgery they calculate their BMR and feed them that in calories. She said they gain weight with that. ???

Please understand that I am not trying to argue with you, I am just thinking that maybe you don't know how tiny I am ( or should be) and how I was losing weight at a much lower calorie intake. It stalled for 2 wks but maybe I should not have ever upped my calories.... should have left them were they were and not been so impatient.

I am beginning to think that what works for some may not work for others, I think I need to stick to 1200-1300 calories and eat my exercise calories back if I am hungry.... otherwise not worry about it. If I was 5"7 or taller and had tons of muscle I would think I would need more......but I'm a small woman, or would be without fat
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    I am sorry if I sound cranky, and no I am not hungry LOL

Just incredibly frustrated and feeling sorry for myself. I have worked my butt off and nothing seems to work !
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Ugh... honestly, if I need more calories then why did I ever gain weight ? I never ate more than 2500 on a reg basis, quite honestly, my diet today is pretty much the same as it's always been, little less junk food, but seriously, close enough that there was no need for a extra 80 lbs on me...... so what gives ????
    I have never been a yo-yo dieter over the years, I have never bothered to diet so I don't think my metabolism is damaged or ever was running slowly.... I was not one to eat 700 calories a day and then binge..... I have always eaten, the past 5 yrs lets say, exactly the way I have the past 30 days...

I am 5"4, 41yrs old & small boned, I can not eat 2500 calories a day and expect to lose weight.

Why is it that every personal trainer, every medical professional I talk to tell me it's absolutely nuts to think someone like me can eat over 2000 calories every day and expect to lose weight. One of my best friends is a surgeon, she said when they put people on liquid diets after they have surgery they calculate their BMR and feed them that in calories. She said they gain weight with that. ???

Please understand that I am not trying to argue with you, I am just thinking that maybe you don't know how tiny I am ( or should be) and how I was losing weight at a much lower calorie intake. It stalled for 2 wks but maybe I should not have ever upped my calories.... should have left them were they were and not been so impatient.

I am beginning to think that what works for some may not work for others, I think I need to stick to 1200-1300 calories and eat my exercise calories back if I am hungry.... otherwise not worry about it. If I was 5"7 or taller and had tons of muscle I would think I would need more......but I'm a small woman, or would be without fat

Have you considered getting a Bodymedia fit? You can get a used one on eBay for $50-$60. The subscription is under $10 a mos. It really is worth every penny. It takes all the guesswork out of everything. With it you know exactly how much you are burning, so you know exactly how much to eat for the weight loss you want. I really like that this little armband puts me in control of my weigh loss.

Edited to add: I spent the 1st 4 wks on mfp clueless and not losing. Since getting my Bodymedia 3 weeks ago, I've lost the 8 lbs in my ticker.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I'm sitting EXACTLY where you are - up and down the same 3# when I was eating 1200 and still at eating 1800. Surely, we will find the sweet spot soon. :love:

I'm still trying to decide if I need to go up or down. In the meantime, I'm enjoying maintaining on 1800 instead of maintaining on 1200!!!! :bigsmile:
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

I am also a small woman (barely over 5ft.), weigh LESS than you, and I'm losing @2000 cals right now. NO-ONE, honestly should eat 1200-1300 cals. It is VERY possible that your maintenance is lower than it should be, but this is because our bodies adapt and lower to whatever we are doing. If you EAT less, your body adapts, and only NEEDS less. This is why so many people can survive on 1200 cals and *gain* on any more than that. Eating too low cal lowers your BMR, period. A person recovering from surgery is typically ridiculously sedentary. That would explain them gaining on a liquid diet. Medical professionals, no disrespect to the profession, are trained in "trauma" not "prevention", therefore most suggestions/advice that they give come from that standpoint. They are trained and are sought out in situations where a problem has already taken place.

We are talking about the rest of your life here.

You have to think beyond the warm months of spring/summer where, yes, you may be willing to live on less/do whatever it takes in order to wear warmer weather clothes. But think ahead to the holidays, where you will begin to be taunted/tortured by the conflict within of "do I relax and enjoy myself with friends" or "do I make myself and everyone around me cranky by turning everything down because NOTHING fits in my cals" (personal experience). Do you go ahead and indulge, and then find yourself right back in this same scenario, once the holiday season ends (like most people)? If you continue to eat 1200-1300 cals now, and NEVER up them, what happens when you want to move to maintenance, but start gaining eating 1400-1500 cals?. It's not to say that you could never lower your cals, but it's the "UPPING" of the cals that makes "LOWERING" them work. If you start at the lowest point what will you do when you (and you WILL) hit a plateau? At least if you start at the higher end, you have wiggle room as the weight loss journey progresses). 80 lbs is not going away overnight, so you need to plan accordingly, not just for seeing a few lbs loss on the scale next week. There is a reason why the biggest loser only runs for 16 weeks: no one can keep that up for any reasonable amount of time. And almost ALL of them gain the weight back.

I'm not sure what personal trainers you are dealing w/but most that I know recommend their clients to eat more than they are. My own personal training course (ISSA), and what I would assume other trainers are being taught, is a much slower approach than the mass media promotes. We are taught to first and foremost, make sure our clients know that this is not an overnight deal, and that the slowest approach is the best.

If you've eaten 2500 cals for the last 5 years, then you already know what your maintenance is, so make your (15-20%) deductions from there, don't just jump to a general 1200cal.

No one can make you do it, but you. But you have to believe it's worth it. What works for one person may not work for another, but just assuming that because you are 5'4 that you have to eat 1300 cals/day to lose is just not being fair to yourself. There has to be a happier medium between 2500 and 1200..

Kiki
  • wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks! I needed to hear the too. I am 5.4" tall and weigh 136 lbs. My weight is not my issue (though I have looked my best at 125 lbs of muscle and fat) however, I am facing similar issues where I am not budging on my weight loss for the past 2 months. I am not eating 1200 calories and am sticking between 1600-1800 calories (though netting around 1200-1300). I am not losing too much weight but have definiltey improved in strength, health and have also lost inches. I

I am a believer of eating more to loose. I do think I need to adjust my diet and macros to get to goal but am finding it harder this time than ever.

Needed to hear this again today. Thanks!
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I'm sitting EXACTLY where you are - up and down the same 3# when I was eating 1200 and still at eating 1800. Surely, we will find the sweet spot soon. :love:

I'm still trying to decide if I need to go up or down. In the meantime, I'm enjoying maintaining on 1800 instead of maintaining on 1200!!!! :bigsmile:

When I started bouncing at 1800 after losing over 7lbs I waited 4wks then I bumped 100 cals. I was a little nervous bec I shot up 4lbs the first wk but knew that extra 700 cals wasn't 14000 cals...so I waited it out. I bounced all around and at the 4wk mark I had a 1.2net loss. I had to wait until I hadn't lifted for a couple days, no tom and low sodium.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I am also a small woman (barely over 5ft.), weigh LESS than you, and I'm losing @2000 cals right now. NO-ONE, honestly should eat 1200-1300 cals. It is VERY possible that your maintenance is lower than it should be, but this is because our bodies adapt and lower to whatever we are doing. If you EAT less, your body adapts, and only NEEDS less. This is why so many people can survive on 1200 cals and *gain* on any more than that. Eating too low cal lowers your BMR, period. A person recovering from surgery is typically ridiculously sedentary. That would explain them gaining on a liquid diet. Medical professionals, no disrespect to the profession, are trained in "trauma" not "prevention", therefore most suggestions/advice that they give come from that standpoint. They are trained and are sought out in situations where a problem has already taken place.

We are talking about the rest of your life here.

You have to think beyond the warm months of spring/summer where, yes, you may be willing to live on less/do whatever it takes in order to wear warmer weather clothes. But think ahead to the holidays, where you will begin to be taunted/tortured by the conflict within of "do I relax and enjoy myself with friends" or "do I make myself and everyone around me cranky by turning everything down because NOTHING fits in my cals" (personal experience). Do you go ahead and indulge, and then find yourself right back in this same scenario, once the holiday season ends (like most people)? If you continue to eat 1200-1300 cals now, and NEVER up them, what happens when you want to move to maintenance, but start gaining eating 1400-1500 cals?. It's not to say that you could never lower your cals, but it's the "UPPING" of the cals that makes "LOWERING" them work. If you start at the lowest point what will you do when you (and you WILL) hit a plateau? At least if you start at the higher end, you have wiggle room as the weight loss journey progresses). 80 lbs is not going away overnight, so you need to plan accordingly, not just for seeing a few lbs loss on the scale next week. There is a reason why the biggest loser only runs for 16 weeks: no one can keep that up for any reasonable amount of time. And almost ALL of them gain the weight back.

I'm not sure what personal trainers you are dealing w/but most that I know recommend their clients to eat more than they are. My own personal training course (ISSA), and what I would assume other trainers are being taught, is a much slower approach than the mass media promotes. We are taught to first and foremost, make sure our clients know that this is not an overnight deal, and that the slowest approach is the best.

If you've eaten 2500 cals for the last 5 years, then you already know what your maintenance is, so make your (15-20%) deductions from there, don't just jump to a general 1200cal.

No one can make you do it, but you. But you have to believe it's worth it. What works for one person may not work for another, but just assuming that because you are 5'4 that you have to eat 1300 cals/day to lose is just not being fair to yourself. There has to be a happier medium between 2500 and 1200..

Kiki

I remember every vacation or holiday when on low cals I would always gain 10lbs easy and see evry bit of it. It was so nice to go on vacay, not sweat eating and probably ate maintenance and I actually look leaner than when I left.

Tabimaine you have to do what makes you happy. I will say professionals telling you to eat less than BMR is a bit disconcerting to me. Everything I have been reading has proved to me that our bodies need fuel. I started researching what people are doing...well those that I want to look like and those people eat and lift heavy.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try to cover the questions asked without quoting everyone and making this thread longer lol

I have not considered a bodyfit thingy but that's not a bad idea !! :)

I honestly want to believe I can eat more and still lose but when does eating more to lose weight and gorging yourself end ? Where do you draw the line ? why do women feel that they need to eat more than a man ? That's how I feel once we start consuming over 2500 calories.

2500 calories is a HUGE amount of food, way more than a woman needs..... if she were training 4 hrs day maybe, but I am literally sitting in an office chair for 8hrs and most of my evenings too....

Why is america fat ? If we can consume thousands of calories a day how did we ever become fat ? A calorie is a calorie, the Twinkie diet comes to mind, then why would people's metabolisms not just go up or reve up when they eat more calories and stay skinny ? Where does the fine line end before you are almost gorging yourself in food.

You can only eat so many nuts and avocados and peanut butter before you are full..... I am stuffed, stomach sticking out, can't move feel like I want to barf on 2500..... I hate that feeling... and what happens after I stop losing at 2500 ? up my calories some more ???

I guess I don't see an end to this.... and that is what scares me. As far a holidays go, I started this journey on Thanksgiving, made it through Christmas too without any worries, just ate what i wanted and counted the calories, if I went over...oh well.... next day was a new one :)
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    31Prvbs: also wanted to ask you... when you say consuming 2000 calories you don't mean net right ? because I do that or close to it alot, but I net like 1300-1500..... I always eat lots of food, just not net it...
    I looked in your diary and you eat 2000, but it appears that you net like 1500-1700.... so I am really close to that ....???

maybe we are talking two different things here. I ran a report on here. I have not net less than 1500 calories ( my bmr) for most of the past month, so I am eating...... just had so much more success eating 1500-1600 and netting 1000-1100 before..
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

2500 calories is a HUGE amount of food, way more than a woman needs..... if she were training 4 hrs day maybe, but I am literally sitting in an office chair for 8hrs and most of my evenings too....

*koff sedentary housewife here who eats 2500 cals a day koff koff*

Look - do what you think you need to do. It will either work or it won't right? :) If you chose the wrong thing- then change it. No biggie :)