Any favorite martial arts/Kung Fu movie?

Options
13»

Replies

• Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think Seven Samurai is my favorite.
    After that : Drunken Master, Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle.

Yes!
  • stephvk7
    Options
    One of my personal favorites is Chocolate. Excellent movie! I also love Iron Monkey. Ip Man (the first one) is also one of my favorites.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    One of my personal favorites is Chocolate. Excellent movie! I also love Iron Monkey. Ip Man (the first one) is also one of my favorites.

I was at Target last night and saw that they had IP Man I and II, but didn't pull the trigger. Maybe i'll go back and get the first one since a couple of you on here have mentioned that movie.
  • Grafty
    Grafty Posts: 28
    Options
    Defo the 1st IP man has been one of the best MA films I've seen BUT ' Fighter in the wind' would be on PAR !!

Its a true story about Masutatsu Oyama, was born Choi Bae Dal in 1923 on July the 27th, during the Korea under Japanese rule.

Sosai Mas Oyama

Mas Oyams was the Mastermind behind Kyokushinkai Karate forming the original organisation the IKO.

Sadly our Sosai passed away back in April 1994 which marked the end of a era and the kyokushinkaikan has it origanaly was.

Sosai was a true martial artist and leader of the largest karate organisation under one person in the world.

We in the KSK are proud to have known and practice an art that was formed to be known as the strongest karate with the true spirit of

Osu!
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!
  • Webbygail
    Webbygail Posts: 116
    Options
    Drunken Master
    Prodigal Son
    the many Zatoichi films
    Fist of the north star
    Hero
    Ip Man
    Police Story
    Za jia xiao zi

Sooo many other movies. There's also a lot of movies I've seen during my trips to japan, but since I don't know the language fluently had a hard time picking up the titles =/
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

I was at Target last night and saw that they had IP Man I and II, but didn't pull the trigger. Maybe i'll go back and get the first one since a couple of you on here have mentioned that movie.

Just do it! :smile: I think the 2nd one is just as good as the first. Hubby likes the 2nd better than the first. We just rewatched these again this past weekend; they never get old.
    Defo the 1st IP man has been one of the best MA films I've seen BUT ' Fighter in the wind' would be on PAR !!
    Thanks for the rec! I found the trailer on youtube, adding it to my watch list.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I actually thought is was great... BUT, you can't really compare it to Ip Man 1 & 2. First of all, Donnie Yen steals the show in the first two movies, and a better actor if you ask me. The first two were more about Ip Man and his life, with some "ooo-aahh" added in for effect and audience appeal.

the 3rd movie with the different actor isnt a prequel, it is a totally seperate movie. it was actually made at the same time as ip man 2 with donnie yen. That is if you are refering to 'the legend is born: Ip man" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1641638/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2)

Bloodsports is definitely a favourite.
    Enter the Dragon and Fist of Fury (Or Chinese Connection as it was called in America)
    Perfect Weapon with Jeff Speakman.
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
    Ong Bak 1 (didnt think much of 2, and havent seen 3)
    any chinese film done with Jackie Chan. The rush hour series was the only good thing to come from hollywood.

so many others.
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    RIGHTEOUS TOPIC!

Lets just get all JCVD, Jet Li, Gordon Liu, Jackie, Bruce, and Segal movies out of the way. Those are givens. So for the rest:

Choke (rickson gracie documentary)
    Matrix 2 (that counts right? Matrix 1 = sci fi. Matrix 2 = martial arts. Matrix 3 = CG blockbuster.)
    Last Dragon (bruce leroy has the golden glow)
    Kill Bill
    Dragon the Bruce Lee Story
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    Perfect Weapon (what happened to Jeff Speakman?)
    Red Belt
    and...... drum roll.....
    WARRIOR
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Perfect Weapon (what happened to Jeff Speakman?)

he did a bunch of other movies that were good, but nothing as good as perfect weapon. He is the head of American Kenpo which the latest version is called 5.0.

I went to one of his seminars a few years ago. Great bloke, very down to earth, happy to get in there an mix it with all the students.

However, unfortunately he has been diagnosed recently with stage 4 throat cancer. he has started radiation therapy and will begin chemo also. They are hoping that this will fix it. It is operable but this means taking out the voice box. All this just as he had signed on for a part in the expendables 3 as well. There is a small hope that he may still be able to be ready in time to film his scenes.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Zatoichi!

this movie is insane
  • fivecardstud
    Options
    If it has Jet Li in it, in my opinion it's good.
    Storm Warriors, I believe.
    There's more, just can't think of them
    Jessica
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Of course the givens like Bruce Lee movies, Bloodsport and Ip Man movies, but I really enjoyed The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.