Cloth Diapers

Options

Replies

• TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    ok, so I registered for a few gdiapers....I figured if I don't like them then at least someone else paid for them ;)

After looking at a variety of options I'm thinking trifolds with a cover. What brand of covers do you all like? I saw thirsties and they seem to have some mixed reviews. I also thought bummis looked nice.

I don't think I want a pull up cover but rather a snap or velcro cover.

I know that even if they have great reviews no diaper is guaranteed to be the right fit for my baby, but since it's such a big investment (to start) I'd love to hear what you all like.

Am I right in thinking that I can get a ton of prefolds, and maybe do the microfleece inserts and then just get a small variety of covers?

Thanks everyone!

I purchased 20 unbleached Chinese prefolds from www.cottonbabies.com. After I prepped them they were SUPER soft! The covers I got to use with them are Flip and Econobum, along with a couple of Thirsties Duo Wraps size 1 (all snaps). For overnight I got some Rumparooz pocket style (6 covers, 12 inserts), and for everyday to alternate with the prefolds I got some Best Bottoms (4 covers, 12 inserts). The Best Bottoms will be easy for my mom and MIL to use while baby sitting because they have a snap-in insert that you just change out and you can wipe off and reuse the cover (except in the case of a major blowout). I can use the Best Bottom covers with the prefolds too. It's all kind of trial and error, but I have read and heard that prefolds are the most economical and easy to use once you get the hang of the fold you like.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    That's what I have heard about the prefolds as well....I'm actually pretty sure that the first time I learned to change a diaper was a prefold haha :)

Sounds like you got a good stash! Have you used any or is this your first kiddo? I'm really hoping to find someone that has a handful to pass down to me. But I think I'm gonna go with the unbleached chinese cotton as well. cottonbabies.com also has a "starter" set by bummis that might be worth a try. I just don't know where to begin.
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    That's what I have heard about the prefolds as well....I'm actually pretty sure that the first time I learned to change a diaper was a prefold haha :)

Sounds like you got a good stash! Have you used any or is this your first kiddo? I'm really hoping to find someone that has a handful to pass down to me. But I think I'm gonna go with the unbleached chinese cotton as well. cottonbabies.com also has a "starter" set by bummis that might be worth a try. I just don't know where to begin.

This is my first child and my first run with cloth diapering. I did receive a lot of advice from friends who do it, hence why I went with some prefolds first. Prefolds also make great burp cloths once the baby outgrows the particular size. I also chose the Rumparooz for night time and the Best Bottoms to alternate with prefolds based on my friends' recommendations, and they'll be easier for my mom to use when she is watching my son while I am at work. My mom is super excited about using the cloth, and so are we! People have misconceptions about it and think it means LOADS of laundry... it's not really that much! A small load every other day and you're done.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    I registered for a variety of covers, and diaper systems. I figure if people buy me stuff cool, if not then I'll get the econobum starter set and see how that works out. If it doesn't work well, at least it is cheap. I can't wait to start diapering...lol, I never thought I'd be excited about changing diapers haha
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Seems like this thread is pretty close to dead :(

I wanted to pop on and say, a few people mentioned cottonbabies.com but just saying that's where they got their stuff. I just took a closer look at the site and highly recommend it. If you are just starting out they have a variety of lightly used stuff, and a handful of "starter packs." Also if your buy some cloth diapers and they don't work out for your baby they are good for trade in toward a different type of diaper.....just thought I'd put that out there

Check is out: Clothebabies.com
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've actually been reconsidering the whole cloth diapering thing, and have started thinking it might be a good fit for us. Plus you can't beat the flipping cost difference!!! Back this summer we got our 2 yr old son potty trained, and finally have he and his sis down to just night time diapering... I went back and figured up how much we spent on diapers and WOW!!! We spent every bit of $2500 - $3000 diapering both of them for 2 years in disposables. I stumbled across the cottonbabies websites, and really appreciated how it was broken down. My aunt cloth diapered all 5 of her kids but that was 15- 20 years ago, and cloth diapering has definitely come a long way. So until checking out that website I really felt lost as to what I needed, how much of what and well really just everything. Good luck to all who are planning to use cloth. I'm sure we'll get it figured out :)
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    I've actually been reconsidering the whole cloth diapering thing, and have started thinking it might be a good fit for us. Plus you can't beat the flipping cost difference!!! Back this summer we got our 2 yr old son potty trained, and finally have he and his sis down to just night time diapering... I went back and figured up how much we spent on diapers and WOW!!! We spent every bit of $2500 - $3000 diapering both of them for 2 years in disposables. I stumbled across the cottonbabies websites, and really appreciated how it was broken down. My aunt cloth diapered all 5 of her kids but that was 15- 20 years ago, and cloth diapering has definitely come a long way. So until checking out that website I really felt lost as to what I needed, how much of what and well really just everything. Good luck to all who are planning to use cloth. I'm sure we'll get it figured out :)

I agree that the trade off is huge and worth it for those who can get the hang of CDing. I'm honestly not nervous about it at all, this is my first baby and I'd have the same concerns and insecurities regarding ANY kind of diaper because I've never had experience with babies before. People just react to CDing negatively because it's against the "norm" and considered weird. My husband took a first time dads class and he was the only one CDing, all the other guys were in awe and told him he's really brave. It's not much different from disposables - you just wash them and reuse instead of throwing them away. Doesn't seem that hard to me! It's also not TONS of laundry like people think either - it's not like I'm running a daycare or something LOL.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of AppleCheeks pocket diapers to try and was disappointed. The size I purchased are supposed to fit until baby reaches 20lbs, but even using the largest snaps my daughter had really bad red marks on her thighs and abdomen (she is 12lbs). They also leaked terribly around the legs. Hoping to do more searching and try another brand, or try prefolds.

We've been buying disposables at Costco, and while it's cheaper than buying them at other stores, the cost still adds up quickly. I'm sure over the past 2 months we've spent enough to fund a small cloth stash. :ohwell:
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    I bought a couple of AppleCheeks pocket diapers to try and was disappointed. The size I purchased are supposed to fit until baby reaches 20lbs, but even using the largest snaps my daughter had really bad red marks on her thighs and abdomen (she is 12lbs). They also leaked terribly around the legs. Hoping to do more searching and try another brand, or try prefolds.

We've been buying disposables at Costco, and while it's cheaper than buying them at other stores, the cost still adds up quickly. I'm sure over the past 2 months we've spent enough to fund a small cloth stash. :ohwell:

I am very fortunate to have a boutique here in Vegas that sells cloth diapers so I can buy one of this and one of that and experiment. I have heard nothing but good things about Rumaprooz, so I went ahead and splurged, getting six of those for nighttime (they're pocket-style). As far as the other covers I got, I suppose we will just see what works best. I have 30 unbleached prefolds now that I have prepped and ready to go, so hopefully they will work well for us! I didn't want to go all crazy buying different inserts and such, so I have prefolds, the snap-in inserts for use with Best Bottoms only, and the inserts that came with the Rumparooz.

To be perfectly honest, disposable diapers gross me out. I don't judge anyone who uses them because they're convenient and the norm but they're just not for me. Granted I don't have any children yet, but I have had to clean up oodles of particuarly nasty pet messes in my day and just laugh at people who think cloth diapers will gross us out, LOL. Sure it smells, sure poop/pee gets all over... that's all part of raising a kid, right?!

Edit: This article might help provide guidance for anyone looking into CDing - http://www.parenting.com/gallery/best-cloth-diapers
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

I am very fortunate to have a boutique here in Vegas that sells cloth diapers so I can buy one of this and one of that and experiment. I have heard nothing but good things about Rumaprooz, so I went ahead and splurged, getting six of those for nighttime (they're pocket-style). As far as the other covers I got, I suppose we will just see what works best. I have 30 unbleached prefolds now that I have prepped and ready to go, so hopefully they will work well for us! I didn't want to go all crazy buying different inserts and such, so I have prefolds, the snap-in inserts for use with Best Bottoms only, and the inserts that came with the Rumparooz.

To be perfectly honest, disposable diapers gross me out. I don't judge anyone who uses them because they're convenient and the norm but they're just not for me. Granted I don't have any children yet, but I have had to clean up oodles of particuarly nasty pet messes in my day and just laugh at people who think cloth diapers will gross us out, LOL. Sure it smells, sure poop/pee gets all over... that's all part of raising a kid, right?!

Edit: This article might help provide guidance for anyone looking into CDing - http://www.parenting.com/gallery/best-cloth-diapers

I'm in a big city and there's surprisingly little selection when it comes to cloth diapers. All of the boutiques carry the same stuff, so I'll probably have shop online, which I'm not a huge fan of. I like to be able to see and touch things before making decisions!

I know what you mean about the grossness of disposables. We decided to start with them because of convenience while settling in to our new life, but the gel stuff inside is weird. As for pet messes, I'd take a giant cat puke on the carpet over a *kitten* explosion in my daughter's diaper any day. Oddly enough, I dealt with both today! :laugh:
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    I know what you mean about the grossness of disposables. We decided to start with them because of convenience while settling in to our new life, but the gel stuff inside is weird. As for pet messes, I'd take a giant cat puke on the carpet over a *kitten* explosion in my daughter's diaper any day. Oddly enough, I dealt with both today! :laugh:

Well, maybe I should clarify with the pet messes thing, if anything just for entertainment! I have a 100-lb. German Shepherd who is crated during the day when we are not home and at night when we are sleeping. We have had him for 1.5 years and he'll be two this month. He's my big 'ol baby and I love him! When we first got him there were a couple of crate accidents, which are to be expected. However, I'll never forget when I was about 8 weeks pregnant with full-on morning sickness, I came home to barfed up cat poop all over him and his crate. At first I didn't know what it was, because it looked like vomit and smelled like poop (sorry if this is TMI for anyone here). I don't know how many people have ever dealt with barfed up poop, but it's worse than diarrhea and everything else I can think of (which I've also had to deal with when he was sick one time). The second I opened the door to the house the smell hit me and I started gagging, then I had to get him outside (covered in whatever it was) and then take his crate and stuff outside and hose everything down. I opened all the windows, lit the Scentsy and candles, and used Lysol and Clorox everywhere because it was all over the floor too. My husband came home from work around 1 AM and told me it still smelled so bad LOL. I told him next time he can deal with it! It also happened again the next day and we discovered that there was a cat coming into our yard and leaving presents, and lots of dogs love to eat cat poop. Even with our own cat, Jager has nosed in the litter box a few times but it's no longer a problem. Needless to say, when he goes out back to potty I watch him like a hawk now! :-)

However, I do agree with the barfs and such over poop explosion diapers, LOL. I think whenever Brock has a gross blowout, I will remember the above story and it should help a lot, hahahaha!
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    EWE yes poop puke is the WORST! Especially when they have been in the crate. Luckily our doggy is small so hubs and I each grabbed one side of the crate and took it outside (with him in it) and hosed him and crate off all at once.....I would not have been able to handle that while pregnant and by myself ICK More power to you girl! Lol
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    EWE yes poop puke is the WORST! Especially when they have been in the crate. Luckily our doggy is small so hubs and I each grabbed one side of the crate and took it outside (with him in it) and hosed him and crate off all at once.....I would not have been able to handle that while pregnant and by myself ICK More power to you girl! Lol

Haha, yay someone who has been there and done that! Lucky you got to do it in one step lol, I opened the back door then had to let him out and he was trying to jump on me (ick) and had it all over his paws... shoved him outside and then got his crate out. His crate is something like 52 x 40 inches too! In retrospect it really is kind of a funny story, but at the time I was not a happy fur-mama.
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I had this experience with my applecheeks too. I love the two prints I have but my size one applecheeks are on the last snap on my skinny legged 12 pound boy. I like them but not enough to make my whole stash applecheeks or even to buy the size 2's. Too bad as I'd like to support a canadian company. I had leaks when he was under 8lb but his legs were sooooo skinny that i switched to velcro diapers to get a better fit at first.

Right now we're using a wide mix of diapers......applecheeks, amp duo pockets, kawaii pure and natural (my fave), kawaii one size heavy duty pockets. We've got baby kanga pockets, some grovia aio's and some thirsties aio's and fitteds i'm going to start to switch too once the amps and ac's no longer fit which should be soon.

When i was pregnant and on this thread trying to get advice I felt confused as to what to buy/try and I still am haha....hence the random stash but it's been a good experience so far and I've been able to buy/sell/trade with a local cloth diapering group here and have had a lot of success shopping through online suppliers and even on ebay. There are a few boutiques here that have a good cd selection but I can find better prices online.

So far the best value I've found has been with the kawaii brand. They come from china and are distributed in canada. The pure and natural line are slim fitting pocket diapers, they're my favourite right now and only around $6/diaper new.

So far so good anyway mind you my baby isn't on solid foods yet so breast fed poops are nothing. I should reread my reviews after I've had to clean some solid craps in these diapers

my husband is supportive....of me cloth diapering but if he changes a diaper he'll put a disposable on. Sure they're handy sometimes but I hate buying them and they smell weird.

I don't check back on this board often but glad to see this thread got some new life to it :)
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ok, so I registered for a few gdiapers....I figured if I don't like them then at least someone else paid for them ;)

After looking at a variety of options I'm thinking trifolds with a cover. What brand of covers do you all like? I saw thirsties and they seem to have some mixed reviews. I also thought bummis looked nice.

I don't think I want a pull up cover but rather a snap or velcro cover.

I know that even if they have great reviews no diaper is guaranteed to be the right fit for my baby, but since it's such a big investment (to start) I'd love to hear what you all like.

Am I right in thinking that I can get a ton of prefolds, and maybe do the microfleece inserts and then just get a small variety of covers?

Thanks everyone!

I forgot to reply to this....I have two thirsties duo covers and I like them. I have the velcro closures just because right now I get a better fit on my skinny baby but i can see how snaps would last a lot longer. In the thirsties cover i use a thirsties fitted diaper at night time and I also have some duo inserts which are nice. they are two inserts together. I've used prefolds in them too. i have some amp brand ones i need to prep to try out I've heard good things about them. I've never had a blowout in them. The leg gussets keep everything in however they always leave red marks on his legs.

I have two friends who used bummis wraps and prefolds on their newborns and they love them. One of them is switching to the next size up in bummis and the other is using the grovia ai2 system (shells with snap in inserts)

I use microfiber inserts inside my pocket diapers. Someone told me on a different thread that you shouldn't put microfibre directly onto baby's skin because it's so absorbant that it'll dry their bottoms out.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Any advice on switching velcro for snaps and for changing the elastic out in the BumGenius 4.0s? I got a huge batch used for almost nothing because all the elastic and velcro is going and I got replacement from CottonBabies but now I'm thinking I should just go ahead and put in snaps instead of the hook and loop.

Any one ever try that before?
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ok so how many of what do you need starting out with basically nothing. Back 4 years ago I was given probably 36 Gerber prefolds to be used as "burp cloths" can I use those with a cover? Are prefolds essentially the same thing as "inserts" or are those two totally different things? How many covers/inserts do I need for newborn age? How many covers/inserts do I need for an older baby? There is just so much flippin info out there that I'm finding it overwhelming & confusing...and really just having a hard time in general deciphering it all.
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    Ok so how many of what do you need starting out with basically nothing. Back 4 years ago I was given probably 36 Gerber prefolds to be used as "burp cloths" can I use those with a cover? Are prefolds essentially the same thing as "inserts" or are those two totally different things? How many covers/inserts do I need for newborn age? How many covers/inserts do I need for an older baby? There is just so much flippin info out there that I'm finding it overwhelming & confusing...and really just having a hard time in general deciphering it all.

I started with nothing and here's what I purchased:

30 unbleached cotton prefolds (and yes these are different from "inserts")
    Covers to use with prefolds OR inserts: 3 Flip, 2 Econobum, 4 Thirsties Duo Wrap Size 1
    Best Bottom System (with snap-in inserts): 4 covers, 15 inserts
    Rumparooz to use with inserts at night time (pocket style): 6 covers, each comes with two inserts that can be used separately or doubled

I decided to use the prefolds because they're most economical, versatile, and can be used as burp cloths afterwards. The Flip, Econobum, Thirsties and Best Bottom covers can be wiped off and reused a couple times before washing (except with poo explosions, of course) which means you need less covers. The Rumparooz and other pocket-style are diapers you need to wash after every soiling, which is why I purchased them for nighttime. I know they'll be good if my boy is a heavy wetter, which is common with boys. I hope this helps, I have received a lot of advice from friends who are CDing and everyone has said my stash is great to start.

Edit: As an answer to your specific question, yes you can use the prefolds with a cover and I suggest the reusable covers like I bought - Flip, Econobum, or Thirsties. The covers I got are all adjustable "one size" except the Thirsties which come in two sizes. Newborns need the most changing, about 8-12 diapers a day, 3-4 that are #2 (this is based on what I've heard, I'm a first time mom). You might need to buy bigger infant prefolds later on when the baby gets bigger but you'll need less of those than the newborn size due to less diaper changes.
  • buffykaz
    buffykaz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started using cloth nappies (diapers) with my second child and I love them. I purchased the one-size nappies so that I can use them from birth through to toilet training.

During the daytime, my fave brand was Bumgenius as they were really easy to use, wash and dry. Because they are pocket nappies, you can adjust the padding and add more if you need extra absorbency etc. I even used them when my daughter went to childcare as they are as easy to put on as a disposable, and the staff just rolled the soiled nappy up and put it in a wash bag for me to take home. I never had an issue with the staff refusing to use them.

At night time I used the Baby Beehinds bamboo nappies with PUL or wool covers. I found these to be the most absobent nappies for night time, especially when daughter was going through a heavy wetting stage.

My daughter has now been out of nappies for a while, but I washed them and put them all in storage, and I will definetly be using them again when this baby arrives.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    We are using cloth nappies (we don't call them daipers in Australia:smile: ). Our decision is based mainly on envirnonmental grounds and also what I consider more healthy for bub's bum. I'm not convinced I'll save that much money, because we've bought very good quality MCNs (mostly Itti Bittis) and they're so cute I might get addicted to buying them.