Cloth Diapers

Options
123457»

Replies

• EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Any advice on switching velcro for snaps and for changing the elastic out in the BumGenius 4.0s? I got a huge batch used for almost nothing because all the elastic and velcro is going and I got replacement from CottonBabies but now I'm thinking I should just go ahead and put in snaps instead of the hook and loop.

Any one ever try that before?

i have no experience but I feel like I saw a tutorial online for how to do it (either that or it was to switch from snaps to velcro, can't remember) I know this isn't a ton of help but I thought I'd throw it out there, I bet you could find something online to teach you how to do it :)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I want to use them, don't know much about it.

I like the idea of less waste from the diapers themselves and the associated cost. Plastic can't be comfy.

Will read through the thread to learn more...
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just adding my $0.02.....

We use cottonbabies.com (and I've seen them recommended while skimming the last page of this thread); they've got an amazing selection, they are prompt with shipping, and shipping is always free!

We CDed our oldest with Econobum and Flip and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Even my hubby has been onboard the whole time, mainly for the cost savings! Then we had twins, and everyone thought we were bonkers for CDing with them. I don't know why - I didn't want to spend DOUBLE the money of disposables since I had 2 at once! Everyone warned me about how much laundry I would be doing, but when you've got 5 people in the family, 3 of them under 2 years old, you're doing laundry every day anyway, so it was easy to just throw in another load of the diapers. I had enough diapers that I was washing them about every 2 days for the first few months (as they grow older, they don't need to be changed quite so often since they can control their bladder longer). I'd rather wash a load of diapers than try to get all the kids out the door to the store to buy more disposables! Anyway, we bought more Econobum prefolds and covers, since we didn't have quite a big enough stash from my first daughter (we hadn't planned on having 2 at once the next time, lol), a few more Snappis, and that was the extent of our diaper expenses for the twins.

Now I'm pregnant with our 4th and the thought of buying disposables hasn't even crossed our minds. We already have more than enough diapers for her, though the twins will still be in diapers for probably another 6-9 months after she's born, and we already bought a few more covers just so she could start out with fresh new ones (since they do pull/stretch after a while).

I've also seen lots of people make their own covers, which I think would be fun/cute if I had the time and didn't already have enough. You can find patterns and tutorials online for making them.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else gotten any negative comments from other people about your choice to use them? I am so sick of everyone telling me that I'll regret it and "ha, talk to me in 2 months." etc. I am not judging them for their choices, why judge me? I honestly just don't see the big deal with doing an extra load of washing... in a washing machine... when I have no other kids and I am not working.. seriously , I'm not curing cancer here :ohwell:
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Has anyone else gotten any negative comments from other people about your choice to use them? I am so sick of everyone telling me that I'll regret it and "ha, talk to me in 2 months." etc. I am not judging them for their choices, why judge me? I honestly just don't see the big deal with doing an extra load of washing... in a washing machine... when I have no other kids and I am not working.. seriously , I'm not curing cancer here :ohwell:

I completely agree! I have had people say "oh you'll change your mind."....I'm a "crazy hippy freak" as my friend likes to say, that being the case taking care of the environment is important to me and we are broke so saving money is important too lol
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options

I completely agree! I have had people say "oh you'll change your mind."....I'm a "crazy hippy freak" as my friend likes to say, that being the case taking care of the environment is important to me and we are broke so saving money is important too lol

I had this too, my MIL said I'd use cloth for a month and then switch to disposable. We'll see who comes out on top of THAT one, LOL. I can be very determined and most people don't realize how much cloth diapering has improved in recent years.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

I had this too, my MIL said I'd use cloth for a month and then switch to disposable. We'll see who comes out on top of THAT one, LOL. I can be very determined and most people don't realize how much cloth diapering has improved in recent years.

Exactly! Plus in my real life, the only people I know who have had babies are my cousins. They all use cloth nappies, so its normal for me... I never realised it was so unusual until I mentioned it at work (and only when asked)...
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend said to me "I didn't think you'd turn out to be such a granola mom". I didn't really respond to it but she said it after asking if I was still cloth diapering. suppose i'll just take that as a compliment.
    My son is 6 month old now and I wash a load of diapers every 2nd day. no big deal. poop is poop it's gross on any diaper. We have disposables because my husband refuses to use a cloth so if I am out and about he'll take the cloth one off and put a disposable on. He's just being stubborn....I do the laundry anyway.
    I don't regret my choice at all. I feel so guilty throwing away a diaper that will sit in a landfill for a thousand years when I recycle everything else in my house.
    I thought I'd save money too but that didn't happen. They are just so darn cute it's hard not to jump on a good sale :laugh:
    Right now we've got kawaii's, thirsties AIO's, thirsties duo wraps and inserts, AMP, apple cheeks and some baby kangas in the rotation.
    I don't think people realize cd's have changed over the years and they are really easy. It does get a bit old having to defend your decision and then feel like you have to prove the naysayers wrong though!

plus! they have a good resale value....pretty sure I can't resell my used disposables. so there. :tongue:
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    My girlfriend said to me "I didn't think you'd turn out to be such a granola mom". I didn't really respond to it but she said it after asking if I was still cloth diapering. suppose i'll just take that as a compliment.
    My son is 6 month old now and I wash a load of diapers every 2nd day. no big deal. poop is poop it's gross on any diaper. We have disposables because my husband refuses to use a cloth so if I am out and about he'll take the cloth one off and put a disposable on. He's just being stubborn....I do the laundry anyway.
    I don't regret my choice at all. I feel so guilty throwing away a diaper that will sit in a landfill for a thousand years when I recycle everything else in my house.
    I thought I'd save money too but that didn't happen. They are just so darn cute it's hard not to jump on a good sale :laugh:
    Right now we've got kawaii's, thirsties AIO's, thirsties duo wraps and inserts, AMP, apple cheeks and some baby kangas in the rotation.
    I don't think people realize cd's have changed over the years and they are really easy. It does get a bit old having to defend your decision and then feel like you have to prove the naysayers wrong though!

plus! they have a good resale value....pretty sure I can't resell my used disposables. so there. :tongue:

That's funny, my hubbie is the complete opposite. He was the one that was deadset on cloth nappies.... plus IRL he does all the washing. I will be taking over washing duties as I won't be working. So he's had to give me lessons on how to use the washing machine :blushing:
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    I dont have time to read back through everything but I recently discovered kellyscloset.com and wanted to pass it on in case it hasn't been mentioned. They have a lot of great deals and it seems they always have some type of promo
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I skimmed this thread and thought I woud revive it to see if anyone had used Sun Baby pocket diapers? They seem to be the cheapest option for pocket diapers and the review thus far look good, but I wanted to see if anyone here would like to chime in. I am only 12 weeks, but we are def CD and I want to get a leg up on my research. I do have two grandmothers helping to purchase these, so I am wondering if I should go SunBaby or Bum Genious.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    I skimmed this thread and thought I woud revive it to see if anyone had used Sun Baby pocket diapers? They seem to be the cheapest option for pocket diapers and the review thus far look good, but I wanted to see if anyone here would like to chime in. I am only 12 weeks, but we are def CD and I want to get a leg up on my research. I do have two grandmothers helping to purchase these, so I am wondering if I should go SunBaby or Bum Genious.

Hey Ruby,

I recently ordered some Sun Baby diapers but have not received them yet. Everything I have read says to get a handful of different brands/styles so you can see which ones you like best. A friend of ours CD's and Bum Genius are her favorite but she recommended Sun Baby to save money and says she loves those too. The thing with Sun Baby is they ship from China so it's a good idea to order them a few months before the baby is due. I ordered mine last month and they MAY get here in time for the baby this month. What I did was order their 6 pack of size ones so that I can see those and I figure if I really like them I'll order the second size also.

Currently my stash is 2 econobums (they aren't cute but they are cheap), 2 thirsties, and 3 flips (plus waiting on the Sun Babys). All of them seem like they will work well but I think I want to get some more size one thirsties because the ones-size seem like they wont fit a small baby. Luckily KellysCloset.com ships things fast so I can wait until after baby is here and order them quickly if I need some more smalls.

One thing I think I am going to like more about the "hybrids" rather than pockets is you only have to wash the insert so rather than going through many wraps and inserts a day you can have a smaller stash of wraps and a bigger stash of prefolds or inserts. Seems more economical to me. With Sun Baby and Bum Genius you have to wash the whole thing which means lots of covers which = more spending....but I'm really trying to be frugal. I know a lot of people that think it's worth it to have the pocket type. I'd say order some Sun Baby's now, and maybe pick up a few bum genius then you can feel and see how they are made and see which you think you will like best.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Hey Ruby,

I recently ordered some Sun Baby diapers but have not received them yet. Everything I have read says to get a handful of different brands/styles so you can see which ones you like best. A friend of ours CD's and Bum Genius are her favorite but she recommended Sun Baby to save money and says she loves those too. The thing with Sun Baby is they ship from China so it's a good idea to order them a few months before the baby is due. I ordered mine last month and they MAY get here in time for the baby this month. What I did was order their 6 pack of size ones so that I can see those and I figure if I really like them I'll order the second size also.

Currently my stash is 2 econobums (they aren't cute but they are cheap), 2 thirsties, and 3 flips (plus waiting on the Sun Babys). All of them seem like they will work well but I think I want to get some more size one thirsties because the ones-size seem like they wont fit a small baby. Luckily KellysCloset.com ships things fast so I can wait until after baby is here and order them quickly if I need some more smalls.

One thing I think I am going to like more about the "hybrids" rather than pockets is you only have to wash the insert so rather than going through many wraps and inserts a day you can have a smaller stash of wraps and a bigger stash of prefolds or inserts. Seems more economical to me. With Sun Baby and Bum Genius you have to wash the whole thing which means lots of covers which = more spending....but I'm really trying to be frugal. I know a lot of people that think it's worth it to have the pocket type. I'd say order some Sun Baby's now, and maybe pick up a few bum genius then you can feel and see how they are made and see which you think you will like best.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I do plan on ordering the Sun Baby's soon and trying them out on my toddler as a tester. She is currently potty training and makes a great little tester. I also wouldnt mind having some of the hybrid diapers because of the pocket free design. Do you know which brands are good for those?

Luckily, my neighbor cloth diapers and I watch her son, so I know that it can work and only takes a little getting used to. We also plan on using the disposable liners later on for poop messes, mostly for the babysitter and husbands sake. They are thin and biodegradable and my MIL apparently stocked up on them when we found out we were pregnant!

I am very excited about cloth diapering. We didn't with my daughter and it sickens me how much money we have invested in diapers over the last three years...ick.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It's worth mentioning that diaperswappers.com and there are a few FB swap groups where you can buy used diapers so you can test drive before investing in a full stash of new ones...although to be honest once my daughter was born I pretty much figured out I didn't care if the diapers were new or not, so saved even more money that way.
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried sunbaby but I have tried Alva and Kawaii (both from China). Kawaii's are by far my favourite. They have a pure and natural line and a little green baby bamboo line that are super trim. They've been great for my skinny baby. I've found them on ebay and they come from the supplier just cheaper. They arrived within two weeks.

I've been trading, buying and selling on a local facebook group page and it's great. The original box of assorted, gently used diapers I bought ended up not really working for us so I've since traded them for different styles.
  • tarapickett
    tarapickett Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I plan to start in July. We're doing a newborn diaper rental to get us started and then we'll move on to purchasing them. I would appreciate any advice on where to get them inexpensively.

Thanks!
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    We are planning on cloth diapering and choosing Alva. Why do people think this is a hippie/granola thing? Can't it just be a frugal/cheap thing? People should understand that, I think.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Random note about Sun Baby's.....be aware that the package looks like you are receiving a bomb in the mail LOL I got mine yesterday and they are SUPER adorable. They were wrapped in a duct tape color bag which was then wrapped with a ton of brown packing tape. It works and I'd rather that than a ton of packaging but before seeing "sun baby" on the label I was a little weary of what I was getting :laugh: