Deadlifts

Options
2»

Replies

• zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Question about deadlifting before you hit the 25# (17") plates (95# total):

I guess, first, you do have to start out deadlifting less than 95#, right?

My gym does not have all plates at 17", so I'm currently deadlifting 75# using small 10 and 5# plates. (Tomorrow is 6th workout of stage 1).

how do you do it? do you stack 1 or 2 plates flat on the floor on each side and rest the barbell on it? I stacked plates flat on the floor, but it is so awkward putting the bar back down; it rolls and sometimes falls off the stacked plates.

how do you do this, or am I underestimating what I could do? Do I go right up to using 2 25# plates on the bar?

thanks.

I use step risers - 2 on either side - and rest the plates inside them. It brings the bar to the proper height against my shins.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump for reading later
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Question about deadlifting before you hit the 25# (17") plates (95# total):

I guess, first, you do have to start out deadlifting less than 95#, right?

My gym does not have all plates at 17", so I'm currently deadlifting 75# using small 10 and 5# plates. (Tomorrow is 6th workout of stage 1).

how do you do it? do you stack 1 or 2 plates flat on the floor on each side and rest the barbell on it? I stacked plates flat on the floor, but it is so awkward putting the bar back down; it rolls and sometimes falls off the stacked plates.

how do you do this, or am I underestimating what I could do? Do I go right up to using 2 25# plates on the bar?

thanks.

I had this problem yesterday doing workout B - I used the 45lb Olympic Bar and then had an additional 10lb and 5lb plate on each side (total 75lbs) but because the plates are so small its an extra couple inches to get them to the floor and the movement seems very akward to me and ends up looking like I'm squating to get the bar to the floor like the book suggests. Should I just do a romanian deadlift until I get to the 25lb plates or should I just do what I did yesterday which was pretty much exactly as the book said, sliding the weight back to the floor in what ended up looking like a squat?

I ended up stacking two plate on each side under the barbell, and put towels on top to prevent slipping. It worked pretty well.

Today, however, I made it to 95# woot! Boy is that a lot better!