Conversation with my mom

Options
2»

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would you send your son to catholic school if you are atheist?

i wondered the same thing. Having a child indoctrinated,
    daily,
    before he reaches the age of reason,
    is NOT "letting him make his own choice".

If an adult had NEVER ever ever heard they should worship a cosmic jewish zombie, who make you live forever, if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood,
    whle telepathically telling him that you accept him as your master,
    so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree…

they'd NEVER buy that after the age of reason,:tongue:
    BUT,
    if it is planted into a young impressionable mind,
    daily
    with fear of eternal punishment if they DON'T buy into it,
    is NOT "giving the child a choice".
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    gXYjZ.jpg
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    About your mother's denial, for some people, the very word "atheist" still needs some PR work................

oFsbS.png

sorry, no idea why i can't get entire comic to show up....now, i put it into paint, added white border to the side that keeps getting cropped off, and resized it a bit,
    so now, you probably have to increase size of your computer screen to read the words, sorry! I am not too great at computers....
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    btw, it is possible to teach a child the beliefs of all the various religions, (which is handy for any person to know)
    WITHOUT INDOCTRINATING THEM.

i know, cuz i did it.
    I gave my children the info on ALL major religions, so they'd have outline of those beliefs and rules and holidays, etc. THIS CAN BE DONE AT HOME, (i was pretty well versed on all religions)
    or with films or books,
    WITHOUT sending the child to a religious school for his entire childhood.

I told them my own world view, as well,
    and always told them,
    that it is up to THEM to decide what they want to believe in.
    that my love for them is unconditional,
    and whatever brings them peace and joy, i am all for it.

i also encouraged,
    and demonstrated,
    critical thinking skills,
    and much encouraged them to QUESTION EVERYTHING, especially if it makes no sense to YOU,
    and to feel free to form their OWN ideas and thoughts, independently from mainstream thinking.

and both my kids DO have critical thinking skills....................
    both of my kids would also question why an atheist would indoctrinate their child in a religious school, or, if the child is godless, why any parent would send a vulnerable child into a school chockfull of religion where they will not fit in...bvMsO.gif It's hard enough to be an ADULT atheist in this religious nation,
    but a child,
    set into a building where his faith will be hammered into him, upon threat of eternal punishment or guilt or make him feel lousy for NOT buying into it to their satisfaction?
    that is what you call "giving the child a choice"?????????

My kids and i had lengthy discussions on the pros and cons of belong to a church, we visited a few, and the role of religion, the impact of religion on our govt, on some humans, etc, etc. We also discussed extremists, too. All types of topics, afterlife, rational thinking, morality,
    lotta discussions about morality,
    etc.

Both are adults
    and one is just as atheist as i am,
    and the other, is a more agnostic atheist, who occasionally borders on being a deist. (deist---someone who does believe in a god, but no specific named gods, no organized religion, just "a" god of some type). But more often, she is atheist than deist, but, she is still exploring it all..