Nobody wants you....

Options
starsnyc21
starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
Rant Alert!!! - Why is it when you’re nice to someone (opposite sex) they immediately assume you want to get up with them (on MFP). Can't men and women just be friends & supportive. This is annoying. Has anyone else encounter this???

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually just the opposite. Although since I usually am only interested as friends, it could be a positive thing.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    No...I guess nobody wants me or wants me to want on them :sad:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Rant Alert!!! - Why is it when you’re nice to someone (opposite sex) they immediately assume you want to get up with them (on MFP). Can't men and women just be friends & supportive. This is annoying. Has anyone else encounter this???

nope! :ohwell:
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Me neither :sad:
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I think we need a clarification here.

Was this a guy you were decent to and he wrongly made the assumption you were coming on to him so rebuffed you or was it a guy who wrongly thought you were interested so he then came on to you in some manner that was not appreciated?
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    All the time.
    I mean... I'm hitting on MFP women that are nice to me all the time. Isn't it because they love me? :huh:

Serious answer: no. :noway:
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Haven't run into this on MFP or in "real" life. I guess no one expects that I would be hitting on them... Sigh*
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    When you get hit on as often as I do. . you just sort of get used to it. . .

(ok. that was me dreaming of what it would be like to be hit on all the time). . I'm a dreamer!
  • usedasbrandnew
    Options

(ok. that was me dreaming of what it would be like to be hit on all the time). . I'm a dreamer!

OMG You're on Merritt Island!!! :) I live in Rockledge. :)))
  • Cameron_1969
    Options

OMG You're on Merritt Island!!! :) I live in Rockledge. :)))

Are you hitting on me!?
  • usedasbrandnew
    Options
    Totally.
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    Totally.

Topaz
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you do it..

If you're ultra flirty well I'm going to assume you want me! I mean, why wouldn't you??

HAHA. Just kidding.

But yes, I will assume if the guy is extra nice.

I WISH the men I'm trying to hit on would get a clue.

Next time I'll just straddle them and see if they understand THAT. :angry: I'm pissy!!!
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    Depends on how you do it..

If you're ultra flirty well I'm going to assume you want me! I mean, why wouldn't you??

HAHA. Just kidding.

But yes, I will assume if the guy is extra nice.

I WISH the men I'm trying to hit on would get a clue.

Next time I'll just straddle them and see if they understand THAT. :angry: I'm pissy!!!

I get it mistress!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Uh... because most of the strangers of the opposite sex who friend you or want to "help" you are trying to get into your pants...? Wow, is it wrong to assume that? Maybe I really am shallow, lol, because I'll accept most anyone's friend request, and I'll reach out to any woman who seems to have a good head on their shoulders...but I'm not going to initiate contact (MFP or real life) with a guy I'm not potentially interested in unless it's job or volunteer related.

I haven't experienced this here on MFP but have in real life. Working in a male-dominated field, it's quite common. All the sudden someone will take an interest in "mentoring" me, or helping my career. I accept the help (because once in awhile it's genuine) but usually it's them trying to get with me. Which I take as a part of life, so it doesn't bother me too much.
  • usedasbrandnew
    Options

Topaz

Topaz?
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Uh... because most of the strangers of the opposite sex who friend you or want to "help" you are trying to get into your pants...? Wow, is it wrong to assume that?
    Working in a male-dominated field, it's quite common. All the sudden someone will take an interest in "mentoring" me, or helping my career. I accept the help (because once in awhile it's genuine) but usually it's them trying to get with me.
    Damn. :frown:
    I hope this isn't true because I'm helping a girl fixing her computer at her place tonight.

I must be one of the few naive people who believe in male/female uninterested help or friendship then.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I must be one of the few naive people who believe in male/female uninterested help or friendship then.

I've got some platonic male friends, but most of those started out romantically and it just didn't work out. Maybe I'm just jaded ;-)
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options

There are a couple of things to reference. There's a youtube video of a guy going around a college campus talking with girls about male friends who they think are just friends and aren't interested in them. Then they search out the guys and ask them if they want to hook up with the girls. The answer is invariably yes. It's just how we work. Also, reference Chris Rock's bit about men and wanting to help women, it's all a ploy to place ourselves firmly in a precarious position with you. Men use favors, help, and other things to offer themselves to women. I.e. - Hey, want me to carry your groceries, let's hook up... hey, let me hold the door for ya, wanna go back to my place... wow, you look great today, that ouftit really accentuates your eyes, wanna see how it would look on my floor?