Things your parents didn't tell you about turning 40

Options

Replies

• colobon
    colobon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wish my mom were here to clue me in! The body is truly falling apart, which means I'm actually making an effort to take care of it now. I stopped admitting my age after age 35 and most people think I'm younger than I am. But surprise, lately I've felt more inclined to own my age. I have earned and deserve a certain position in life (and work)!
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What a fun group! Totally enjoyed reading all the posts. Started out my 40's by dealing with breast cancer - almost 9 years later I feel great and confident! Let me hair go gray, had lasik surgery last year - no more glasses/contacts - or reading glasses (yet!), more relaxed and loving being a grandmother!
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I got Lasik surgery when I was 37...he told me eventually I would need reading glasses...yeah...now is the time...I hate that...yes, the hot flashes & the aches & pains & the difficulty in losing weight...just gotta work harder...
    AND...what is up with the sudden interest in wrinkle creams and eye serum? I can't stay away from that area in the store...
    The knowledge that comes from experience is worth it though....I wouldn't go back to my 20's again if you paid me :) Forty is fabulous...:)
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    On my 40th birthday, I went to the eye doctor. She actually apologized when she told me I was going to need bifocals and I told her it was my birthday. She relented and said I'd need them next time I came in. I'm 43 now. I haven't been back. :)
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    So can you still be hot in your 40s? Is it too late for me to lose the weight and finally be hot again? That's the thing that's rumbling around my brain right now.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've decided if i lose the weight, i will be hot "with clothes on" LOL. Since i have so much to lose and i've done it once before and know how my skin looks, i've given up dreaming of shorts and bikinis LOL.

I hate that i need "magnifiers" to read anything in small print now. I was a voracious reader, now i rarely read :-(
    The slower weight loss...ughh...
    The joints hurting...double ugh
    Worrying about how my skin is aging, having high blood pressure and all the other things you never thought you would get when you were younger...yeah, starting to happen.

I remember being a kid and hearing the grown ups talk about not being able to eat beans because they made them...err..pass gas. I laughed so hard because i couldn't imagine anything i ate affecting my body....

You know what the punchline is to that one, right? LOL!
  • nicew0
    nicew0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The night sweats. Too many of them and I have cranky days. They're not so bad with regular exercise so I better keep up with that!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes!! You (one) has to be more disciplined, but it can definitely be done.
  • robell4
    robell4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I didn't want my parents to tell me anything! Life was so different when they were my age back then. There is new technology, medicine, health knowledge...so being in my 40s isn't the same for me as it was for them. There are things my parents wouldn't have done at my age that I do today, such as avidly skydiving. Yes, my body can't do what it did when I was 20, and I work within my so called limits, but I sure won't let that hold me back from life. :)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Just turned 49....had glasses about a year now to read with. Just don't get over aches and pains as quickly. My mind says I should be younger.:drinker: I don't worry so much about the being hot. I was beat down with the whole ugly tree. :sad: LOL I do wonder how my body will look when the weight is off. Gonna start going to the gym. That should help tone it up. :bigsmile:
  • jeniley65
    jeniley65 Posts: 35
    Options
    I would be needing a second set of glasses
    I would be needing several copies of the 2nd set of glasses since I wouldn't remember where I left the last pair,
    My brain would still be stuck at 25
    Hangovers would last more than one day
    I would be hornier than ever
    It would get worse (well, better....) every year after that (so far at least)
    The sources of weird noises my body would make would go up
    Vices would be much more enjoyable
  • Adamskk1
    Adamskk1 Posts: 14
    Options
    I was never told about hairy ears....you heard me...HAIRY EARS people!!
  • nicew0
    nicew0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I remember my mom looking pretty hot in her 40s. I don't think I fared as well but I'm working on it.
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My parents didn't tell me that when I turned 40 I would still feel like a kid. That I would want to be active and play. Life is just beginning! I feel GRRRrrrreeeeeaaattttt!
  • dawn1209
    dawn1209 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    40 hasn't been too bad for me, I wish my mom was still around to tell me about what 40s are like! My biggest problems are my skin and hair is drier now! texture and everything is different! I pee a little when I jump, sneeze, laugh etc. (okay that one is REALLY annoying!!) and it is taking FOREVER to lose weight, my metabolism is a LOT slower than it used to be! I still FEEL 30 something.

7011799.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My sex drive is out of this world!!! :blushing: Really kind of a sucky time in my life to be single!!! :laugh:

And the pee that sneaks out when you are doing jumping jacks...:noway: UGH!!!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I was never told about hairy ears....you heard me...HAIRY EARS people!!

:noway:
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My eyes are razer sharp.
    But my hearing especially in the voice range is not as good as it used to be.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So can you still be hot in your 40s? Is it too late for me to lose the weight and finally be hot again? That's the thing that's rumbling around my brain right now.

I honestly look better now at 40 than I ever have.
    Except the male pattern baldness thing. LOL!

I have a smaller waist & more muscle than my senior yr of highschool.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I wish they had told me that my brain will be in denial about being 40, but my body will be fully aware! The aches and pains that have started to show up in the past couple of years, has my brain in open rebellioin screaming "I can't be old! Not yet!"

LOL I think my brain is 20 and my body is 60!