Tough to lose weight even though Thyroid is regulated?

Options
13»

Replies

• frexca
    frexca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im new to this group as well.. and like many have a low thyroid.. my issue is what should i be eating and what shouldn't i be eating.

May I add some of you to my friends list.. maybe we can work on this together. :)

or you can add me please.

Charleen
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm thinking that haylz_me might be from Europe or Canada where medical assistance is sometimes delayed. Hormones are crazy things -- and can really make your body do crazy things. Thyroxine is just another synthetic T4 that frequently does absolutely nothing to relieve the depression, weight gain and other systems of hypo/hashi.

haylz_me -- I will be praying for you. I would recommend that you try to reduce your carbs if you haven't already - stick to vegetables and fruit and try to eliminate "white" carbs like sugar, bread, rice, pasta. Fat is actually ok -- as long as it's good fat like avocado, coconut oil, coconut milk, almonds, salmon (wild!) etc.

Hope you can get some help for your symptoms!! I've fired several doctors and finally ended up with a Naturopath (not covered by insurance) who has helped me tremendously - and I lost 15 pounds!

I'm in Australia, but have gone on holidays so can't get my results until I'm back.

I'll keep you posted though... I know my body is just being annoying... but all the same :/
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • happyukrainian
    Options
    I just joined tonight--so glad I found this group.I had a heart attack 15 years ago at 40 years old and found out I had hypothyroidism around the same time.I take medication that slows my heart down,so that doesn't help my metabolism either.This my sound weird but I'm really mad at my body,feel like it let me down I guess.I went from 120 lbs.to 174 in about 6 mths.I was thin all my life.I am down to 155 but I'm hoping to get down to 135 for my sons wedding this August.Thank-you all for all the information you have put up! I'm not much of a blogger or into facebook but I'll be sure to check in to read whats up.Thanks again.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just joined tonight--so glad I found this group.I had a heart attack 15 years ago at 40 years old and found out I had hypothyroidism around the same time.I take medication that slows my heart down,so that doesn't help my metabolism either.This my sound weird but I'm really mad at my body,feel like it let me down I guess.I went from 120 lbs.to 174 in about 6 mths.I was thin all my life.I am down to 155 but I'm hoping to get down to 135 for my sons wedding this August.Thank-you all for all the information you have put up! I'm not much of a blogger or into facebook but I'll be sure to check in to read whats up.Thanks again.

I came close to a stroke when I was 45 years old - 15 years ago -- and they put me on beta blockers, diuretics, blood pressure meds, statins, anti-depressants and a host of other pills -- 11 medications in all.

Today, at 60 years old, I take only Armour Dessicated Thyroid. And I'm doing my first triathlon next month. Don't give up and if you can afford it, find a Naturopath or holistic doctor that will treat your symptoms naturally and allow your body to heal so that you can lose weight. I lost 15 years of my life believing those idiots.
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    I started trying to drop some weight in preparation for pregnancy. I lost 2 in 2011 and even though docs never said anything about it, I know that dropping even a little can be helpful.

it was my fertility doc who finally found out that my TSH was high. on meds now for three weeks. have noticed a slight difference in increased energy levels, but my weight loss has stalled out at 16 or so pounds.

Just found out that I haven't been ovulating for the last year. I know weight has to do with hormones and thyroid has to do with weight, and hormones have to do with ovulating so I think this is my vicious circle.

I am scheduled to get a TSH and free T4 in a couple of weeks. I know there are other tests, but those are the only ones ordered. Should I ask again about why only the two tests? She (the doc) explained about how it would show if my thyroid was still working too hard to try to produce the hormone levels required for healthy me and healthy pregnancy.

I go in on Monday to see the doc and maybe it can't hurt to ask her order the entire panel?

How long until I feel a lot better?

Thanks for being kind to another newb. Gina
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    it took me about a month to feel better. My does was upped last oct and i am starting to feel not god again. I just had tests done a few weeks ago and of course my dr is on holidays, so i have to wait till she is back to see where my levels are. I am just exhausted and so many side effects are back :( i felt great for 5 months, now back to feeling icky :(
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I started trying to drop some weight in preparation for pregnancy. I lost 2 in 2011 and even though docs never said anything about it, I know that dropping even a little can be helpful.

it was my fertility doc who finally found out that my TSH was high. on meds now for three weeks. have noticed a slight difference in increased energy levels, but my weight loss has stalled out at 16 or so pounds.

Just found out that I haven't been ovulating for the last year. I know weight has to do with hormones and thyroid has to do with weight, and hormones have to do with ovulating so I think this is my vicious circle.

I am scheduled to get a TSH and free T4 in a couple of weeks. I know there are other tests, but those are the only ones ordered. Should I ask again about why only the two tests? She (the doc) explained about how it would show if my thyroid was still working too hard to try to produce the hormone levels required for healthy me and healthy pregnancy.

I go in on Monday to see the doc and maybe it can't hurt to ask her order the entire panel?

How long until I feel a lot better?

Thanks for being kind to another newb. Gina

TSH and Free T4 don't tell the whole story -- ask you doctor to please test your T3 also. Here's the list of labs that they should test for in order to get a holistic view of what your thyroid is doing: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/

This site even has a letter to your doctor explaining why you want him to test for more than TSH and T4: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/dear-doctor/

It's your body, and your doctor works for you -- you don't have to be meek and mild with him/her -- tell him you want to know more about what's going on in your body. And if he won't find someone that will.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i also learned today about Adrenal Fatigue, check it out... it makes you go hummmm
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    Awesome info. Thank you so so much!