What do YOU do between workouts?

Options
roguex_1979
roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
This is a two-fold question.

1. On the days you're not doing this programme, what do you do exercise wise? Take a look at my regime and tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

Monday - Rest
Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday - NROL4W (warm up is cardio, about 20mins)
Wednesday/Friday - only cardio and core exercises
Sunday - swimming (as many lengths as I can with families taking over the pool!)

2. During your 'rest between sets', what do you do?? I wander around my living room counting 60 seconds, and even though I'm alone, I feel like a dork. :happy:

Thanks!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I would argue that you're doing too much cardio prior to lifting and you could be depleting a significant amount of the energy you need for heavy lifting. My "general" warm-up takes around 7-8 minutes and consists of calisthenics. Also, are you doing the specific lifting warm-ups? Re-read pages 129-133.

On days I don't lift, I do cardio. I check out exercise DVDs from my local public library. The workouts range from 25-60 minutes and they provide great variety so I'm never bored and my body doesn't get used to a particular routine. In addition, I often do 20 minutes of cardio after my lifting is done. Either on the treadmill, stair climber or elliptical.

During the "rest between sets" I get a drink of water, record my intensity level and other notes on my log sheet, and wander around the gym's weight room; if necessary I set up the equipment for the next exercises. (Ex. setting up 8 risers on each side to prepare for step-ups).
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    1. On the days you're not doing this programme, what do you do exercise wise?

Usually? Nothing.
    Take a look at my regime and tell me if I'm doing it wrong.
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday - NROL4W (warm up is cardio, about 20mins)
    Wednesday/Friday - only cardio and core exercises
    Sunday - swimming (as many lengths as I can with families taking over the pool!)

Wrong? Not necessarily. Although I would personally recommend another rest day. But your perspective will change completely as you go. I'm in Stage Two, and to be honest I do NOT want to work out on the off days because I need the down time. Re warmups, I do 15-20 minutes warmup by walking on the treadmill, sometimes only 10, depends on my mood. There are warm-up exercises in the book that are better to do.

2. During your 'rest between sets', what do you do??

When I have a friend workout out with me, this is easier because her set takes up half of my rest time. In Stage Two the rest time is up to 75 seconds, not 60, which feels a lot longer... LOL Depending on the exercise, I either use the rest time to set up the weights for the next set, or to get a drink and write in my log, or I just stand there and catch my breath. ;)
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Ooh, so too much 'warming up' and not the right way? Guess I skimmed over that bit of the book because I thought just doing some cardio would be ok. *gets book to re-read about the warm ups*
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My workout schedule is like this:

Monday: Teach Step (PM)
    Tuesday: 1 mile warm up (about 8 minutes) + NROL4W + run until time permits (AM)
    Wednesday: Teach Pump (AM), Run (PM)
    Thrusday: NROL4W + Insanity (AM)
    Friday: Burgers and Fries and Wine (PM)
    Saturday: 1 mile warm up + NROL4W + Teach Step of go for run (AM)
    Sunday: Pancakes and Eggs (AM)

LOL, seriously, Fridays and Sundays are my rest days (except this week). I'm so busy that I don't need another exercise day. My max goal for exercise per week is 7 hours, min goal is 5. A body has to have time to rest.

Between sets I drink water, pace, unrack and rerack weights, bull**** with the guys, and breathe heavy.