Gain muscle? Lose Fat? Weights? Cardio? Calories? What to d

Options
wowmom23
wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
OK. Would love some advice and help with my 'plan'. I am a very squishy, pear-shaped 118lbs (5'2") and 25.5%BF as of my weigh-in today. I did weigh in at an odd time (~1030am after A2 workout) but that's when I thought to do it. I used the TANITA Body Analyzer at the gym. I will take some measurements this weekend, too. One year ago, when my daughter turned 1, I decided that I'd had it with just trying to eat less and getting nowhere. So, I decided to eat normally and get to the gym. I started doing about 45 min of cardio 3-4x/week. Prior to that moment, I would do a little bit of running ~30 minutes or so, a few days a week. I wasn't consistent. But, when I joined the gym, I became consistent. I weighed 119 and was 28% BFat. After a few months of cardio and no change, I started doing Body Pump. My arms started looking pretty good & my bodyfat went to about 26% but my legs/butt didn't get ANY smaller. on Feb 1, I decided to start using MFP and following their 1200 calorie plan for .5lb/week weightloss. I think I eat pretty well (but I drink wine - I have 3 kids, fulltime job and husband who travels every week! I need my vice!). Still, I got down to 116 by starving to death but my bfat didn't change! I knew I'd just lost water and muscle. I heard about NROL4W, downloaded it and loved the idea of actually EATING ~1600-1900 cals/day! I did my 3rd workout today and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm even able to manage enough protein/day, too.

My issue is that I want to make sure that I'm on the right plan for my goals. My goal, like most, is to increase muscle, which I would hope to help lose the flab and fat. Then i read that you can't really do both at the same time.

I'm confused and would love some tips. I do still want to run ~3 miles a few times a week and enjoy intervals. So, should I do the lifting on MWF and the running on Tu/Thur or, lift and run on MWF and rest the other days? Weekends are hard to get to the gym or workout - I am usually working on the yard or the house - keeping busy but not 'exercising'.

Perhaps I just stick with the NROL4W for the first month and reassess as he mentions? I just REALLY want to be able to wear a bathing suit and swim with my kids and not be so embarrassed by all my fat and cellulite!!

Replies

• tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for what I am doing and the results I am seeing.

I just finished week 4 of New Rules. I have only done the lifting 3 days a week with resting on the other days. My legs are pretty tired on the in between days. I am sure I could push and do a cardio on Tuesday or Thursday but am going to wait and introduce in the intervals when he suggests to do so. I have kind of enjoyed not having to hit the gym 5-6 days a week.

Prior to New Rules I was doing crazy cardios and some lifting and not seeing much in the line or results. I am at a point I don't need to lose weight but I do need to build lean muscle mass and decrease fat. In 4 weeks I have seen my stomach go down some and can tell that my legs are stronger. I may be the only one that can see the results right now but I do know that in 4 weeks there has been a change in my body -a change that crazy cardio 5-6 days a week and a little lifting didn't achieve.

I guess I would suggest listening to your body and seeing if it needs those days for rest or if throwing in a cardio here and there is fine. For me so far, I have seen results in just the lifting 3 days a week.

GOOD LUCK!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Follow the plan - it does work!! Stage Two you actually do start adding intervals at the end of every other workout, so it's a good thing you enjoy them. ;)

Check this out if you need some motivation!

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am in the same boat. My problem is compounded by the fact that I teach cardio classes and take martial arts which I am NOT going to give up. (Well maybe the cardio classes...) I have always been active but have never done this type of lifting. I also have always restricted my calories and been flabby. I have been amazed by the women I have seen on these boards who are so beautifully toned and who eat lol! I raised my calorie goal on MFP and am eating back all of my exercise calories now which is honestly kind of scary for me to do. But the whole not doing anything else cardio wise is really throwing me for a loop. What I have decided is to just do my lifting on MWF and leave TTH for my other stuff - there are times however that I have to train 5 days/week. I have a black belt in karate and do tournaments - so training is often non-negotiable :)
    I just did my second workout this morning and am planning to take my body fat, measurements, and a "before" pic so that I have that to fall back on if the scale gets stuck (or, God forbid, goes up!) and I start to freak out.
    Anyone else out there who can give me tips or advice - I am totally open to it and would welcome it!