Does being single embarrass you?

Options
I get pretty embarrassed when friends and family ask if I have a boyfriend and I have to admit "no." It just makes me feel like they'll assume I'm unwanted and pity me. I'm also very uncomfortable when I'm with a group of friends all speaking about their significant others and I'm the quiet one with no input because I'm obviously single.

I really don't feel like I should be dating at the moment, because I've got major insecurities but since my experience with dating has been minimal, I always dread anyone asking me about my love life. It was even more embarrassing for me when I was bigger but still bothers me now, can anyone relate?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes. Especially in certain situations. For example, a lot of people in my major classes are coupled up/married. My cousin who is my age has been dating a guy for a few years and they're now engaged. That's embarrassing in the slightest thatI'm still single.

But among my friends, no, since only a couple of them have boyfriends.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    No. But I'm newly single so I imagine if years later I'm still single and I go to family functions, maybe I'll be shy about it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I don't feel embarrassed about it, but when I'm asked how long ago my divorce was and I say 14 years, I get some fun comments back.

Bottom line, I don't need someone to define who I am. And neither do you. Live the life you want because you have the freedom to set your own rules. Have fun and good things will come your way
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I'm not embarrassed to be single because I'm glad I'm not in my past relationship anymore but it do get awkward sometimes when I'm around my two brothers and my older brother is married ad my younger brother has a girlfriend (2 very successful relationships) and I feel like a 5th wheel. I always feel like a 3rd, 5th, etc wheel so that can become awkward sometimes
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hmmm! Sometimes I suppose, but mostly no. Depends on the situation. I'm kinda embarrassed going to weddings on my own, and I have two this year.....:grumble: .:laugh: But generally I actually like being the one free to dance till dawn :wink: You know, sometimes relationships aren't all they are cracked up to be! Perhaps the very reason I AM single!! :flowerforyou:

Talking of which, I'm just off down the pub to watch my beloved Spurs!! (That's a football team to all my US friends) :bigsmile: Now if I was with a guy that didnt like football then this choice would be difficult.......

Always think of the positives........... :bigsmile:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I don't think people think you are unwanted, since you're obviously very attractive.
    It truly helps though to have some past relationship experience under your belt admittedly (people probably accept the fact that you haven't found the right one more, makes the pill easier to swallow for them - not that you should care by the way).
    You know, sometimes relationships aren't all they are cracked up to be! Perhaps the very reason I AM single!! :flowerforyou:

Talking of which, I'm just off down the pub to watch my beloved Spurs!! (That's a football team to all my US friends) :bigsmile: Now if I was with a guy that didnt like football then this choice would be difficult.......

Always think of the positives........... :bigsmile:
    This really. As much as I like being in a relationship, I'm having a blast at the moment with my life as a single. It's a different kind of happiness (of course), with less hassle and more freedom. More a "carpe diem" thing, involving randomness, less future planning, and no relationship building. It's nice and refreshing as relationships can be exhausting sometimes (but they bring their own type of happiness).
    I will probably give up some of this freedom if I meet a girl I really feel some connection with, but it just hasn't happened at this stage.

I hate football (soccer? :laugh: ) on a side note... I'd have to stay home knitting.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Honestly, sometimes yes, sometimes no, it all just depends on my mood and how the topic comes up.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Being single is not embarrassing; the way some people handle the fact that I am single is embarrassing. For example, at my grandfather's 80th birthday party, my grandmother took me around and introduced me to all their friends as "my only granddaughter who isn't married." I mean, what do you even to say to that? Then there's co-workers trying to fix me up with their sons or grandsons or friends' sons or guys from their church. All of that is embarrassing, but I am not embarrassed to be single.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Being single itself doesn't embarass me. It's how long I've been single is what embarasses me :(
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I wasn't embarrassed by it until I joined this group and saw how much action all the other single people are getting.....
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It depends on where I am and how I'm feeling. Mostly no - but there are times when it hits me like a ton of bricks and I don't always handle it so well.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind being single per se, but I realize it's just me worrying too much about what others think of my single status. It is annoying in certain situations, like when my dad questions my sexuality, but all of your insight has helped me think about it more positively. Thanks to all who responded.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I wasn't embarrassed by it until I joined this group and saw how much action all the other single people are getting.....

That's nothing to be embarrassed about - if you don't get out there then no-one will find you :wink:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. Not since I found out a couple of years ago PoF has plenty of semi-literate, beer gut toting, wife beater wearing trailer park grandpas ready to snap me up.

I might not have many options, but at least I have the option to say that's okay, I'll pass!
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It doesn't embarrass me, though twice it has been a bit awkward at a formal social event when I didn't take a date and the hostess made a fuss of who I was going to talk to, as if it was a social problem. I love meeting new people. If I'd wanted someone to talk to all night, I'd have taken a date :grumble:
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. Not since I found out a couple of years ago PoF has plenty of semi-literate, beer gut toting, wife beater wearing trailer park grandpas ready to snap me up.

I might not have many options, but at least I have the option to say that's okay, I'll pass!

Lmao! I stopped searching after POF.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It doesn't embarrass me, though twice it has been a bit awkward at a formal social event when I didn't take a date and the hostess made a fuss of who I was going to talk to, as if it was a social problem. I love meeting new people. If I'd wanted someone to talk to all night, I'd have taken a date :grumble:

Hahaha! You should have looked at her all serious and whispered, "I came alone because I intend to steal someone else's date."
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually embarrassed about it, until new friends find out I'm 45 and never been married. Then I feel like they look at me as if I've got the plague or something.
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Not at all!!! I'd much rather be single than settle for something less than I deserve :-)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

That's nothing to be embarrassed about - if you don't get out there then no-one will find you :wink:

This ^^
    Plus online chatter is easy and you never really know what's happening behind anyone's computer screen.